MOTYCs From Other Promotions

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

MOTYCs From Other Promotions

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:04 pm

Lots of great matches happend this year, and this topic is mostly to post about Non-PWG MOTYCs that happend this year. Share your thoughts on your MOTYCs this year.

ROH: Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi
This is probably my MOTY for this year. The vibe in the building was amazing and came off really well on tape. The match was brutaly stiff and the chop exchanges where insane. Seeing someone outstiff Joe with chops was a great site. Really well worked between both guys.

TNA: Samoa Joe vs. Chris Sabin
A lot of people say the AJ/Joe matches and the AJ/Daniels/Joe match are the best TNA matches of the year, but those people are wrong. Sure, they where extremely fun but Joe/Sabin was well worked and much better than the others. They worked a nice match and it helped get Joe over really well and it gave Sabin a chance to breakout from his usual spot heavy matches and multi man tags.

IWA-MS: Arik Cannon vs. Chris Hero
From TPI 2005. An amazing match on a show with too many great matches. The one factor that sets this apart from the rest was the story. Cannon's arm selling and Hero's heel turn at the end made it even better. Everyone should see this show.

IWA-MS: Necro Butcher vs. Samoa Joe
Just an insane fucking brawl. These guys went balls out and put on an awesome match, well, mostly Joe. Necro mostly just punched Joe and landed face first onto floors. And the crowd was insane for this one.

Those are some of the ones I can think of off the top of my heard. I have more on my mind and I'll post them later after Raw.
SoCalAndy

Postby Big Joe » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:48 pm

IWS: Kevin Steen vs Damian (both matches), Viking vs Maxime Boyer

CZW: Necro/Toby vs H8 Club (Violent By Design)...really, that's it. CZW hasn't had any outstanding matches this year, just all-around solid stuff. Maybe Ruckus/Quack vs Hero/Claudio

CHIKARA: Cibernetico, FIST/Claudio/Hero vs Quack/Kingston/Sabian/Equinox
Big Joe

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:29 pm

IWS: Kevin Steen vs. Damian II Last Man Standing
This match was worlds better than their first match. The entire story and build up was great. I didn't like Damian going over, but with help from Beef Willington it didn't really hurt Kevin Steen all that much. The Generico heel turn was awesome and both him and Steen getting in that one bitch's face was awesome.

CZW: Super Dragon vs. El Generico, BOTB 5 and Deja Vu 3
Both matches where awesome. Dragon and Generico always have fun matches, and these two where no exceptions. I always love the Dragon being a total dickhead bully story and Generico plays a perfect underdog. And Generico winning the rematch was pretty awesome, as it was totaly unexpected.

WWE: Triple H vs. Ric Flair Steel Cage Match
As much hate as the WWE gets, most people always seem to forget that they have amazing matches. This match was really great. Flair was bleeding like a stuffed pig and Triple H was pretty awesome in this. I haven't seen their Last Man Standing match, but I heard it was better than this and if it's true it must be amazing.

WAR: Davey Richards vs. Hook Bomberry
A match that was seen by 60 people, and filmed by WAR only to never be released. It sucks that the only people who saw it where the 60 people in the crowd, because these guys tore the fucking Inoki Dojo down. Hook was awesome here and Davey brought the intensity. If this shit ever comes out, then you all need to get it.
SoCalAndy

Postby Ass Punch » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:00 am

IWS:
Kevin Steen vs Damian Both!
2.0 Vs Flying Hurricanes
Beef and El Generico Vs 2.0
Ass Punch

Postby Big Joe » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:15 pm

Shit, how could I have forgotten Steen & Generico vs Flying Hurricanes from IWS Devil's Night? Probably the best tag match I've seen all year...fucking phenomenal.

I sent you Steen-Damian II, didn't I Andy?
Big Joe

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:29 pm

Why yes you did Joe.
SoCalAndy

Postby Big Joe » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:22 pm

I still haven't gotten the last batch of stuff I ordered from you...WHAT THE DEAL MAN?!?!

But seriously. Just wanted to check with you. I have a pile of stuff here, and all of next week off, so yeah.
Big Joe

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:26 pm

Oh fuck, I sent you a PM about that.
SoCalAndy

Postby evilpaz » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:34 am

Anyone wanna send some of those matches my way? :)
evilpaz

Postby bill1985 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:37 am

ROH: Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi. This is my MOTY just an insane, awesome match with maybe the loudest any crowd I've ever heard in my life.

IWA Mid-South: Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher. At the time, this was my MOTY and it was just 12 minutes of stiff fighting, you don't need wrestling holds to be a great match and this match proves it.

TNA: AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels from Bound for Glory. OK, so I only ordered 1 TNA PPV the whole year, not a big TNA fan but I felt that this match was a classic, it was just real emotion out there between the two and I wish it would get more support from the TNA fans as a great match.

WWE: Shelton Benjamin vs. Shawn Michaels. This match was better then Angle/Michaels from Wrestlemania, it was two high flying wrestlers at there best in maybe the greatest match in the history of RAW. These two guys put it all on the line and in the end, one of the most incredible endings to a match I had ever seen took place. If this doesn't go on a DVD anytime soon it's a crime.
bill1985

Postby SoCalAndy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:55 am

evilpaz wrote:Anyone wanna send some of those matches my way? :)

I know this awesome site. This dude will totaly hook you up: http://www.smartmarkvideo.com
SoCalAndy

Postby evilpaz » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:42 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:
evilpaz wrote:Anyone wanna send some of those matches my way? :)

I know this awesome site. This dude will totaly hook you up: http://www.smartmarkvideo.com

thank ya
evilpaz

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:38 am

I'd definitely agree with inclusions of Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher from IWA:MS and Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle from WWE.

I would also add:

Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki (NOAH)
Mistico vs Ultimo Guerrero (CMLL)
TLC - AK47(c) vs The Kartel vs Reed/Sefton vs Chav Army (IPW:UK)
Aaron

Postby Slappy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:56 am

I've got Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki on tape (Thank you TWC) but not got round to watching it.. is it as good as they say?
Slappy

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:03 pm

Slappy wrote:I've got Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki on tape (Thank you TWC) but not got round to watching it.. is it as good as they say?

I know someone who said it was overrated and gave it ****1/2. . .

It's won a few Japan MOTY awards and the guys on noah.puroresufan voted it the NOAH MOTY too.

I didn't think it was as great as Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama from 10/7/04 but definitely up there. As good as anything from most promotions for sure.

(Incidently, Kensuke Sasaki and Kenta Kobashi won the "Best Outsider" and "Best Heavyweight" awards respectively)

If you hate lots of chops then you won't like it much but if you likes Joe vs Kobashi this is a definite notch up from that.

:)
Aaron

Postby SoCalAndy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:48 pm

Aaron wrote:Mistico vs Ultimo Guerrero (CMLL)

This match was really good, but I honestly prefered the Avereno match to it. Mistico is truely awesome either way.
SoCalAndy

Postby Slappy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:02 pm

Is the Mistico / Guerrero match this one?

http://www.youtube.com/?v=VIAoGBcEb0k

Whats Mistico's entrance theme?
Slappy

Postby Crazy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:44 pm

even though its not on DVD yet I heard Low Ki vs Kenta in ROH was even better than Joe Vs Kobashi.
Crazy

Postby Slappy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:49 pm

I finally watched Joe vs Kobashi, it lived up to his hype. The only negative thing I could say about the match was the retarded fans cheering "This is Awesome" 5 minutes in.
Slappy

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:21 am

How do people compare Kenta Kobashi vs Samoa Joe to Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki?

IMHO I think it's obvious which was Kenta Kobashi's MOTY.
Aaron

Next

Return to General Discussion