SUPER DRAGON AND DAVEY RICHARDS

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

SUPER DRAGON AND DAVEY RICHARDS

Postby mrwrestling2006 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:07 pm

I have 2 questions about them what are there best tag matches in PWG and right now are they the best tag team in the world.
mrwrestling2006

Postby WannaB » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 pm

Their match against Jack Evans & Roderick Strong at The Hollywood Globetrotters was amazing. Way better than the one Jack & Rod had against Generico & Tornado (that one was too sloppy for my tastes).

Permanent Vacation/Card Subject To Change 2 is a unique show. They were originally fighting Los Luchas, but 5 minutes in Zokre got a concussion so the match was stopped & they came up with a Davey/Dragon vs. The Kings Of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli). This match went about 55 minutes. They wrestled mostly in a European mat based style, so it might be too slow for some people. If you have no problems with long and very technical matches then it's worth seeing.

Their match against Cape Fear (El Generico & Quicksilver) at Cruisin' For A Bruisin', and at Crazymania: All Star Weekend 3 (night 2) was another great pairing of teams. Like the Globetrotters match they were filled with a ton of near falls, inventive spots, & "holy shit" moments. They weren't just cheap high risk matches, they were nailbiting & loaded with solid wrestling ability. Great stuff.

The match against AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels at Beyond Thunderdome was great. It seemed like if it had gone 5 minutes longer they could've done some more amazing stuff. But the match was very entertaining and worth the $20 admission just to see AJ take a curb stomp from Super Dragon.

And of course the match where they lost the belts to Lost & Bosh at Enchantment Under The Sea was pretty good. Even if you don't like the match, the storyline was just great. The formation of the Dynasty, and how they beat the shit out of Dragon (who has yet to be seen since that show), and of course Davey Richards vowing that he was going to kill Joey and become champion. That was one of their best shows IMO.

So you have the following events which you should check out if you wanna see their best matches.

Cruisin' For A Bruisin'
Permanent Vacation/Card Subject To Change 2
The Hollywood Globetrotters
Beyond Thunderdome
Crazymania: All Star Weekend 3 - Night 2
Enchantment Under The Sea

And as to whether or not they're the best team in the world right now...

Well, they're not exactly a team anymore. At least not until Super Dragon resurfaces in PWG to give us an exact idea. However at Enchantment Under The Sea after they lost the belts Davey spoke as though they were over.

Were they a great tag team, arguably the best while they were together?

I think a lot of people would say yes. I enjoyed them a lot. But I think something that hurt their image was that a lot of people didn't expect them to last as a team. They seemed like an oddball team to some people at first, and later everyone kept on expecting them to split & feud with each other. I don't think a lot of people expected their title reign to last as long as it did. PWG produces a lot of great teams, so it's a tough call to say that they were the best.
WannaB

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Don't forget the European Vacation shows, where they had two excellent matches with Cape Fear and Arrogance. I'd rank both those up there with their best matches as a team

It's a shame, the Briscoes match never happened. As that would have been something to see.
TigerDriver98

Postby Paul Burns » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Also don't forget the very start, where they won the tag titles from Generico/Tornado. I LOVE that match, it just clicked.

They were a GREAT tag team, but I think they're over now :cry:
Paul Burns

Postby mrwrestling2006 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:38 am

I read good things about there match with Williams and Sabin as well i think it is on straight to dvd. why did PWG split them up then if the fans loved them as a team they should of stayed the champs for quite a bit. then turn into a feud between them have a long term stroyline between them.
mrwrestling2006

Postby WannaB » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:16 pm

mrwrestling2006 wrote:I read good things about there match with Williams and Sabin as well i think it is on straight to dvd. why did PWG split them up then if the fans loved them as a team they should of stayed the champs for quite a bit. then turn into a feud between them have a long term stroyline between them.

They were champs for "quite a bit." It lasted longer than anyone expected. And odds are that still are going to have a feud. Who knows, Dragon could attack Joey & the dynasty at "From Parts Unknown" and inadvertantly cost Davey the title, leading to a feud... Or they could wind up facing each other in the BOLA... Or they could have Dragon attack Davey & do the whole, "I blame you for our losing the belts" angle, but having Dragon convey that clearly without talking would be tough.
WannaB

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum