Random SoCal Volume 3 Review and Thoughts

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Random SoCal Volume 3 Review and Thoughts

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri May 12, 2006 2:37 pm

So like I bought this DVD at the last show. I've seen the first two and they're really hilarious. They feature a good mix of good wrestling with shitty stuff just for laughs. In the past, they've featured some of the most hilarious skits and moments I've seen at local shows. Whenever people think "SoCal Wrestling" they always think about PWG. This DVD however, does a great job at showing people what is in SoCal outside of PWG. From the highest of the highs, to the lowest of the lows.

On the two disc set, there are about 18 matches featuring a wide variety of wrestlers. From Kurt Angle to Nemesis. From Super Dragon to Ultimo Dragon. There is a bunch of stuff that nobody has seen before, such as rare matches with everyones favorite wrestlers in PWG, to WWE stuff that hasn't been seen before, to unreleased matches from various promotions both past and present. The quality of the matches range from really good, to really fun.

The best match on the two discs in this set in my mind featured Super Dragon destroying a young local talent named Markus Riot. For years Dragon has been refered to as the man you make your name off of in SoCal. Guys like TARO, Mr Excitment, Joey Ryan, Chris Bosh, Scorpio Sky, and others who became stars in SoCal have had to go through Dragon at one point or another. Markus Riot was obviously trying to establish himself as one of those people. The match had the usual Dragon act, with him being a bully and the underdog making a neat comeback. While Dragon is brutal on his opponents all the time, he seemed to be even more brutal here. He treated Markus like crap the entire time and made an example out of him by powerbombing him into a set of bleachers at one point. Really stiff and brutal match that's worth seeing.

The second best match on the DVD featured Davey Richards taking on Hook Bomberry. Before this match, Hook and Davey had an amazing match at a Pro Wrestling WAR show that would only be seen infront of 60 people and has yet to be released on DVD. This match was a lot like that match, only it was infront of old people and a group of Boy Scouts. It's pretty much everything you would expect from these two. A hard hitting bout with some good technical aspects mixed in. Another good match that's worth getting the DVD for.

But the DVD just isn't about wrestling. There are loads and loads of various comedy skits mixed in, along with hilarious moments in SoCal wrestling. One of the on going skits on the DVD features two of SoCal's favorite black wrestlers, Scorpio Sky and The Human Tornado walking around a convention harassing white people and asking people how they feel about Coca Cola Blaq(Coffee mixed with Coke!). The best part about this is when they meet comedian George Wallace, in which chaos ensues as Wallace goes crazy on both guys.

The comedy isn't just restricted to outside of the ring though. There is a lot of funny moments that take place in the ring, and one amazing moment that featrued the ring itself.

On July 17th, 2002 one of the funniest moments took place in SoCal only to be seen by a select few. It was the third match on Revolution Pro's "Look Who's Laughing Now" event. Inside the ring, American Wild Child and King Faviano were going at it. During one point in the match, the boards that were holding the ring up started to break apart. The ring was starting to sink and these two still went at it. Both men tagged out to their partners Buddy George and Street Styles(aka Shady). The scene cuts directly toward the two wrestlers setting up an armdrag spot. As soon as they did it, the boards fell to the floor, which was probably the funniest shit ever. Perhaps one of the best moments of the DVD, but it doesn't top the great Tope Con Hilo ever.

July 23, 2005, Pomona, CA. Battleground Pro, the former Pacific Coast Wrestling, would make it's debut in The Glasshouse, a famous local concert venue in California(and also the venue featured on the DVD: The Show Must Go Off - Live at the Glasshouse featuring The Bouncing Souls) in front of 50 fans. Despite the small crowd, one of the greatest moments took place on this night. Chris Bosh was taking on The Human Tornado in an epic battle between two warriors. In the middle of the match, Chris Bosh was thrown to the outside and was wandering around the ring looking for a place to rest. Tornado, filled with fighting spirit, wouldn't allow that to happen. He started to run the ropes and prepared to do his usual Tope Con Hilo over the top rope onto Bish. What he didn't expect that Bosh would be his only victim though.

As Bosh was about to be flipped on, there was a fan sitting front row right behind him. Nobody else was around except for the single fan and Chris Bosh. Tornado then flipped over the top and not only did he land on Bosh, but he took out the fan aswell. Full speed, full impact, the fan was crushed by both men and fell out of his chair. Greatest moment in wrestling history? Yup. This is a must see moment. Everyone should get the DVD for this alone.

Overall, it's a really great DVD. I didn't even cover 1/4 of the content that is featured on this. It's kinda like watching an episode of Jackass but with wrestling. Some of the wrestlers who appear on the DVD include Kurt Angle, Paul London, Super Dragon, Davey Richards, Ultimo Dragon in his 2002 US wrestling return, Austin Aries, X-Pac, Juventued Guerrera(featuing a Best Of The Juice Bar segment on Disc 2), M-Dogg 20, Josh Prohibition, and many more. Plus rare footage of Adam Pearce, The Messiah, Joey Ryan before he became the Rated PG-13 Superstar, Scott Lost before he became arrogant taking on B-Boy when he was known as Blazin Benny Chong in a tag team match, and so much more. Plus tons of bonus features including former XPW star Pogo The Clown jacking off with a shovel and offending a black mother at the same time.

To buy this DVD, and other Random SoCal volumes, check out http://www.xtreme-video.com
SoCalAndy

Postby Wreckless » Fri May 12, 2006 2:54 pm

wow i'm sold i wanna buy all 3 volumes but has anyone got any idea of the P&P to europe? i cant find any info on the site
Wreckless

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri May 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Check out the bottom of the site!
SoCalAndy

Postby Wreckless » Fri May 12, 2006 3:07 pm

*slaps self* i blame aol on stupid laptop showed up fine on firefox :D off to order now and find a carboard box to live in when rent day comes.

cheers for the tip off on awsome dvds :)
Wreckless

Postby luca brasi » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:02 pm

I too got the DVD and really enjoyed it. There is also an extra disc that has some cool stuff on it as well
luca brasi

Postby CheMateo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Like what?
CheMateo

Postby luca brasi » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:08 pm

the extra disc has:
-Messiah's debut match (I belieeve) as "Iron" Mike Ernhardt vs. Gargoyle (where was this filmed?)
-4 Way for the BiG Pro title (their first Newhall show) w/ Scott Lost vs. Tornado vs. Alex Koslov vs. Plague
-Elimination Handicap Tag match, MPW Main event: Super Dragon & Messiah vs. B-Boy, Samoa Joe, & Frankie Kazarian
-highlights of Juvi's "Juice Bar" from XPW
-Lost Boys (Scott Lost & Ryan Rufio) vs. Manila Thrillaz (B-Boy & Funky Billy Kim) from UPW Lite show
-Los Gallineros vs. AWC & Angel (from Mexico??)
-Hollywood Wrestlemania prelude matches: Molly Holly vs. Victoria, Kurt Angle vs. FBK
-EXTRA MUSIC VIDEOS
luca brasi

Return to General Discussion