Women's Matches in PWG?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Should PWG run a women's match on a future show?

Yay
58%
Nay
42%

Total votes : 26

Women's Matches in PWG?

Postby JustJay » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:52 pm

I've been on kind of a major SHIMMER kick lately, and the thought has crossed my mind - that personally I think I'd really enjoy seeing PWG run a women's match, as a way to diversify their cards once in a while. PWG has always given a showcase to the best wrestlers from multiple regions...from the Canadian guys (Steen/Generico) to Chikara/IWA wrestlers (Hero, Claudio, the exhibition tag from UYI4) and the Midwestern crew (Sydal), and I really think PWG could put on a kickass women's exhibition match.

PWG really benefits from their location in this regard, as several top women athletes are local. There's Sara del Rey, arguably the best female wrestler in the US (who PWG has used twice in the past.) There's Cheerleader Melissa, who may have the most "name" value among women's independent wrestlers. Candace LaRae (who debuted in PWG recently) has been having reportedly excellent matches with Carla Jade in the EWF.

I'm not suggesting a full-fledged women's division by any means...as I don't think PWG would be able to sustain that and I doubt the interest level among the fans would be high enough to justify that. But I really think a women's exhibition match once in a while with two high-level wrestlers could really add spice to the occasional PWG undercard and possibly attract buys from new fans. Plus, who wouldn't love PWG possibly flying in LACEY? :)

What do you think?
JustJay

Postby SoCalAndy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:42 pm

I disagree with you big time Jay. There are way too many problems with having women's matches on PWG shows.

One problem has to do with the quality of the wrestlers. Flying out women would cost a good amount of cash, as most of the better female wrestlers live on the east coast of midwest. I'm pretty sure Sara Del Rey doesn't live in the SoCal area(she doesn't get booked down here a lot) and a lot of local female talent I've seen aren't that good. I've only seen Candace LaRae once in a match and wasn't really impressed. Maybe I caught her on the wrong night(I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to EWF and I don't trust the reports I read of their shows), but based on the performance I saw from her I don't think she'd get over with the PWG crowd(which is another issue). Although I probably would change my mind if I saw some of her better work.

As far as the fans issue I brought up, they're another big factor in having women's matches. Most of PWG's live crowd aren't as smart now as the fans who did attend shows back when Sara was booked(and even then, some fans acted like tools) so the chances of fans being respectful could be bad. Shimmer works because the fanbase is mostly made of kids and families(from what I have seen and heard) and those crowds don't have the same mindset that PWG crowds have. I would really hate it if a Sara Del Rey/*insert top US woman's name here* would have a great match only to have it plaqued by dudes in the crowd doing catcalls and such.

Booking is another thing. Having a random women's match wont seem to work. If there was some sort of build up to a match it could work out. It would make people want to see a match if there was a reason behind it aside from it being an indy dream match and it would help PWG out even more with a storyline. I also don't think a random match with two top women's workers would generate much interest or DVD sales. I'm sure people would be like "Why would I want to watch this when I can get a Shimmer DVD?" and so forth. I mean, I don't think anyone who bought the ROH Supercard Of Honor show bought it for the women's match, they most likely bought it for the Dragon Gate Trios match.

Another big problem is finding spots for them. There are so many guys in the PWG lockerroom who are barely able to get booked on shows, and there are several other guys who seem to be on shows every once in awhile due to spots on the cards being taken.

The use of women in PWG thus far has been fine, and the roles they have been given have worked out well. With the kind of fans PWG is drawing, the perfect way for women to be used to is help elevate the people they are managing. With time women's matches once in awhile would work, but at the moment I think PWG should focus more on getting as much hype for BOLA and the booking of The Dynasty more than anything, including bringing in new wrestlers.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:13 am

I agree with everything in Andy's response, including the Bull Pain photo. I'd personally like to see more of Sara Del Rey and the like out here, but I don't think they'd make much sense for PWG to use; a place like the Inoki Dojo, with more extended resources and more exhibition-style cards, might make a little more sense.
onlxn

Postby Big Joe » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:18 am

I go to CHIKARA shows monthly, and they usually run one womens match a show...and they are VERY hit or miss. If you hit, the crowd will simply take it like they would any other match, no harm done. If you miss...you run the risk of alienating the crowd and pissing everyone off.

Thank god CHIKARA has learned their lesson and is pretty much booking mid to high quality women against Daizee Haze. I don't think PWG would bring her in...and if they did, the only 2 opponents from the area worth having her wrestle would be Del Ray or Melissa, and to be honest with you, that really doesn't set my world on fire.

I'd rather see PWG bring in someone like Delirious, a mid to upper level mens worker that could have a good match with a regular and amp the crowd up.
Big Joe

Postby MrPWG » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:22 pm

I personally don't think it would hurt and add another dimension to the Tornado/Scorpio feud...They could have a Mixed Tag Match: Scorpio Sky & Jade Chung vs. Human Tornado & Candice LaRae...
MrPWG

Postby HeartPunch33 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:25 pm

I agree with you Mr. P. Furthermore, does anyone remember those women's apartment wrestling magazines from the 70's and early 80's? Man, good times.
HeartPunch33

Postby shyboy13 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:22 pm

I love women but am not a big fan of womens wrestling. I enjoy watching one or two matches now and then provided the women are nice looking. I dont even really care if they have wrestling talent or not. My opinion may be unpopular but at least I tell the truth. Sorry if I offended those guys who think women should not be seen this way.

I wouldnt mind seeing an ocasional female match or two in PWG if the women were not ugly. Also, I would like to see them as long as they are inexpensive since I would rather buy a ticket to see AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin, or American Dragon.
shyboy13

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum