Looking For My First DVD

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Looking For My First DVD

Postby Dr. Dlok » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:54 am

Hey guys what's up? Heard a lot of good things about PWG, and was wondering what's the first ever show I should get. I never watched PWG before, so some info would help. Thanks!
Dr. Dlok

Postby Big Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:58 am

Its been said before by nearly everyone...but Battle of Los Angeles. Its got your high-flying, your technical, your spotfests, and some strong style. Excellent show.
Big Joe

Postby head_bump » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:59 am

You can't go wrong with any show and the Battle of Los Angeles 2005 is one of the best shows and highly recommended by everyone but i'm not sure if its the best starting point but you cant go wrong with the show.
head_bump

Postby Dr. Dlok » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:00 am

Who wrestles on that show? Jack Evans? Samoa Joe? A.J? All the ROH guys right?
Dr. Dlok

Postby Dr. Dlok » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:03 am

head_bump wrote:You can't go wrong with any show and the Battle of Los Angeles 2005 is one of the best shows and highly recommended by everyone but i'm not sure if its the best starting point but you cant go wrong with the show.

I don't really want the best show, because let's say I get it, and I don't like it, then I'll be thinking "If this is their best show, then I wonder how their mid show is like."

Case in point. I'm a huge ROH mark, and my friend kept on bugging me over which ROH show should he order. I told him get Manhattan Mayhem. He got it, was a bit disappointed, and never watched ROH again, except in my house sometimes.
Dr. Dlok

Postby head_bump » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:03 am

Super Dragon, Kevin steen, AJ styles, Jack Evans, American Dragon, Romero, Reyes, Chris Daniels, Lost, Bosh, Davey Richards, Gibson, Ryan, El Generico and Quicksilver all part take in the tournament. Samoa Joe is on the second night in a Tag Match.
head_bump

Postby head_bump » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:07 am

Dr. Dlok wrote:
head_bump wrote:You can't go wrong with any show and the Battle of Los Angeles 2005 is one of the best shows and highly recommended by everyone but i'm not sure if its the best starting point but you cant go wrong with the show.

I don't really want the best show, because let's say I get it, and I don't like it, then I'll be thinking "If this is their best show, then I wonder how their mid show is like."

Case in point. I'm a huge ROH mark, and my friend kept on bugging me over which ROH show should he order. I told him get Manhattan Mayhem. He got it, was a bit disappointed, and never watched ROH again, except in my house sometimes.

If you dont like their best show you ain't going to like any other show, it would save you money that way.

I started at All-Star Weekend Night one and I haven't looked back, i've enjoyed every show obviously some more than others but I found it a good starting point.
head_bump

Postby Big Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:23 am

Someone told me about Gabe breaking ROH down into several eras...I guess I'll do that with PWG.

Era 1: The Beginning (June 03-January 04)
The Debut Show - Tango & Cash Invitational

Era 2: Adam Pearce Takes Control/RevPro Uprising (February 04-July 04)
Taste the Radness - Reason for the Season

Era 3: The First Family (August 04-November 04)
Secret of the Ooze - Free Admission (Just Kidding)

Era 4: Super Dragon Kills Bitches (December 04-April 05)
Uncanny X-Mas - All Star Weekend

Era 5: The Indy Supercards (May 05-July 05)
Jason Takes PWG - 2nd Annual PWG Bicentennial Birthday Extravaganza

Era 6: Kevin Steen: SoCal Wrestler of the Year (August 05-December 05)
Zombies Shouldn't Run - Astonishing X-Mas

Era 7: The Bitchmasters Go Global (January 06-May 06)
Crusin' For A Bruisin'-Enchantment Under the Sea

Era 8: The Birth of the Dynasty (June 06-current)
Fear of a Black Planet
Big Joe

Postby bill1985 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:40 pm

Big Joe wrote:Someone told me about Gabe breaking ROH down into several eras...I guess I'll do that with PWG.

Era 1: The Beginning (June 03-January 04)
The Debut Show - Tango & Cash Invitational

Era 2: Adam Pearce Takes Control/RevPro Uprising (February 04-July 04)
Taste the Radness - Reason for the Season

Era 3: The First Family (August 04-November 04)
Secret of the Ooze - Free Admission (Just Kidding)

Era 4: Super Dragon Kills Bitches (December 04-April 05)
Uncanny X-Mas - All Star Weekend

Era 5: The Indy Supercards (May 05-July 05)
Jason Takes PWG - 2nd Annual PWG Bicentennial Birthday Extravaganza

Era 6: Kevin Steen: SoCal Wrestler of the Year (August 05-December 05)
Zombies Shouldn't Run - Astonishing X-Mas

Era 7: The Bitchmasters Go Global (January 06-May 06)
Crusin' For A Bruisin'-Enchantment Under the Sea

Era 8: The Birth of the Dynasty (June 06-current)
Fear of a Black Planet

I like this, everybody should use it.
bill1985

Postby Big Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering...get everything from Era 6 and bask in the glory that is PWG.
Big Joe

Postby Paul Burns » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:28 pm

Every year PWG has gotten consistently better (Exactly the same as ROH)

I personally feel you may enjoy PWG All Star Weekend Night 1, All Star Weekend Night 2, and The Battle of Los Angelos as great shows. The in-ring quality isn't up to par w/ROH in my opinion, but its pretty damn close and you'll be exposed to amazing SoCal talent
Paul Burns

Postby WannaB » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:06 pm

Paul Burns wrote:Every year PWG has gotten consistently better (Exactly the same as ROH)

I personally feel you may enjoy PWG All Star Weekend Night 1, All Star Weekend Night 2, and The Battle of Los Angelos as great shows. The in-ring quality isn't up to par w/ROH in my opinion, but its pretty damn close and you'll be exposed to amazing SoCal talent

He's right. ASW-1 nights 1 & 2, & BOLA are great starting points.

Plus if you don't like the best stuff then you won't like the "meh" stuff either, so it really is advisable to start with the best.
WannaB

Postby RM Punk » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Reason for the Season was my very first taste of PWG... such an excellent place to start, IMO. A great example of what PWG is about and even if you wanted to jump ahead to say the All Star Weekend nights, RFTS holds up to the test of time. An excellent show but more importantly, a great introduction.
RM Punk

Postby onlxn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Great breakdown by Big Joe. Oddly, all of my favorite eras are the even-numbered ones: 2, 4 and 6 all friggin' rule, and 8 is shaping up nicely...

Anyway, yeah, people have pointed out most of the good first choices. I'd also throw out "Astonishing X-Mas" as a possibilty. I haven't watched the DVD yet, so I'm not sure quite how it carried over, but live it was an excellent show, with good, varied stuff, and it's less of a star-studded "special" show than BOLA or the ASWs. Seemed like it'd be a good intro to the regular roster.
onlxn

Postby DBDIV » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:57 pm

T&C Invitational was my 2nd ever show I went to, my first being the December show in 2003.

If you've never seen PWG and are gonna spend more than $15, try to get your hands on the Debut Show, BAM3k and maybe skip to BOLA '05 for now.

I was lucky enough to go to PWG when it 1st started to get like the 1st 5 or 6 shows. I don't have T&C but if it's ever in stock again I'll for sure pick it up.
DBDIV

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:38 am

If you're feeling flush (with cash on yer hip) I'd start with Uncanny Xmas. . . then if ya like it, get every show consecutively thereafter. :)
Aaron

Postby TigerDriver98 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 am

DBDIV wrote:I don't have T&C but if it's ever in stock again I'll for sure pick it up.

It's been back in stock for a while now. Should pick it up, it seems to be the hardest PWG show to come across for a lot of people.

As for the topic, as others have said BOLA 2005 is your best bet right now. Get to see basically the entire extended PWG roster in one place at one time. If you are only interested in one single show, then Astonishing X-Mas or All Star Weekend 1: Night 1 would be the way to go.

Other shows to look out for once they are released: "All Star Weekend 3: Night 2" and "Enchantment Under the Sea" Some of PWG's best work yet.
TigerDriver98

Postby Big Joe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:26 am

Tango & Cash is great...unless you watch it all in one sitting. Then it gets VERY tedious...there's only so much tag wrestling a man can take.
Big Joe

Postby Wreckless » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:33 am

Reason for the Season was my very first taste of PWG... such an excellent place to start

that was the first pwg show i saw to hence the cage match allways holding a special place in my heart :D

as for ideas for first show to get id say anything on from all star weekend as will be a few names from the indys you will know as your not expososed to the awsome pwg regulars yet :D
Wreckless

Postby Rish To The Rosh » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:52 pm

Aaron wrote:If you're feeling flush (with cash on yer hip) I'd start with Uncanny Xmas. . . then if ya like it, get every show consecutively thereafter. :)

That's exactly what I did, and I haven't looked back since! Well, I have technically, the neck would get very stiff if I didn't, plus I've bought PWG events that happened before that, but you get the idea.

Get BOLA. If you like it and want to follow PWG, start collecting from right after that, it's a good place to start storyline and wrestling wise. You can also get some big shows before that such as ASW 1 Night 1 if you like.
Rish To The Rosh

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum