Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 2012!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: Death To All But Metal Takes Place on Friday, May 25, 20

Postby luca brasi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:31 pm

Well said, Slay J. You nailed it on several levels.

And while today's indies often lack believability (it wasn't too long ago you could push a button on Player Uno's pants and "pause" him mid-match) and consistency (one of PWG's current top tag teams, RockNES Monsters, have been booked in NWA Hollywood as having disolved their team and have been feuding with one another for the past several months (Goodtime has turned total heel there!), the same could be said for the "good ol' days" (yes I was around: I remember the Monster and the Mummy from the Olympic as well as Blassie losing the WWA title because the curfew ended, Flair beating Dusty at Starrcade because of blood loss, we could go on...)
I think the big difference is today's wrestling shows little resemblance to a true sporting event. That feel ended in the 90s... when I was a kid and went to the Olympic, Sports Arena, and Forum, the ring was in the center of the arena with the fans all the way around.
Sometime in the 90s/2000s the shows started closing off 1/3 to 1/2 of the arena for backstage filming, Titantrons, entry ramps, pyro, etc... it was no longer a sport or a contest but a show, an extravagant show. Shows dont have winners and losers, contests do!
luca brasi

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:31 am

SlayJ wrote:So to go back to your question of "what get's the indy fans off about wrestling today?", I think it's all about being a part of something that makes you feel like your contribution makes a difference. It's about seeing guys work their asses off in front of a small yet enthusiastic crowd. It's about asking yourself "did I have a kickass time and get a little crazy tonight?". And if the answer is "yes" (as my usually is), all the negative things that you could dwell on don't seem so important anymore.

That answer actually couldn't have been said any better. Respect!
DjEn3rgy21

Postby SlayJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:29 pm

DjEn3rgy21 wrote:
SlayJ wrote:So to go back to your question of "what get's the indy fans off about wrestling today?", I think it's all about being a part of something that makes you feel like your contribution makes a difference. It's about seeing guys work their asses off in front of a small yet enthusiastic crowd. It's about asking yourself "did I have a kickass time and get a little crazy tonight?". And if the answer is "yes" (as my usually is), all the negative things that you could dwell on don't seem so important anymore.

That answer actually couldn't have been said any better. Respect!

Thanks, man! I appreciate that!
SlayJ

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:45 pm

I personally don't care for big sporting events, bright lights, big stadiums or any other flashy B.S. As long as the promotion delivers great wrestling its all I'm asking for. I'm perfectly content with Reseda venue and its hot dogs, burgers and beer. Oh did I mention some of the best wrestling on earth today! I don't want to see wrestling action through a binocular, I love when I gotta get out of the way because a body is flying at me from the ring in million miles per hour, I wouldn't trade this experience for any fancy venue with a mile long guard rail.
krayzie Bone

Postby So Cal Punk » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:I personally don't care for big sporting events, bright lights, big stadiums or any other flashy B.S. As long as the promotion delivers great wrestling its all I'm asking for. I'm perfectly content with Reseda venue and its hot dogs, burgers and beer. Oh did I mention some of the best wrestling on earth today! I don't want to see wrestling action through a binocular, I love when I gotta get out of the way because a body is flying at me from the ring in million miles per hour, I wouldn't trade this experience for any fancy venue with a mile long guard rail.

This I have to agree with. While I like the bright lights & spectacle once in awhile, the wrestling & intimacy is what makes the show. Also moving out of the way during the dives really makes you feel part of the show.
So Cal Punk

Postby loserkings007 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:08 am

loserkings007

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 am

Great video. If you weren't there, buy this DVD!!!
abouttreefitty350

Postby ajday » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Kinda sad they didn't include the six-man tag in the preview.
ajday

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:55 pm

ajday wrote:

Kinda sad they didn't include the six-man tag in the preview.

That match was so forgetful that I didn't even notice it was missing until you pointed it out. Maybe it's because I've seen that match every show for the past year. I'm not knocking any of the guys or girl in the match, but it's been done to death, and the pseudo-rape spots are getting really played out.
abouttreefitty350

Postby ajday » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:01 pm

abouttreefitty350 wrote:
That match was so forgetful that I didn't even notice it was missing until you pointed it out. Maybe it's because I've seen that match every show for the past year. I'm not knocking any of the guys or girl in the match, but it's been done to death, and the pseudo-rape spots are getting really played out.

Hahaha, yeah. But, then again, something about those spots I still like. Maybe it was because of the Facebook fan site of being against Joey Ryan that I will always love those spots. Still though, it's weird how they show everything but that match. Maybe it won't even be on the DVD.
ajday

Postby loserkings007 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 am

ajday wrote:
abouttreefitty350 wrote:

Hahaha, yeah. But, then again, something about those spots I still like. Maybe it was because of the Facebook fan site of being against Joey Ryan that I will always love those spots. Still though, it's weird how they show everything but that match. Maybe it won't even be on the DVD.

Well they still list the match on the DVD listing so I'm sure it will still be in the DVD.
loserkings007

Postby ajday » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:26 pm

loserkings007 wrote:
Well they still list the match on the DVD listing so I'm sure it will still be in the DVD.

Shows you how much I pay attention... Haha
ajday

Postby luca brasi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:19 am

krayzie Bone wrote:I personally don't care for big sporting events, bright lights, big stadiums or any other flashy B.S. As long as the promotion delivers great wrestling its all I'm asking for. I'm perfectly content with Reseda venue and its hot dogs, burgers and beer. Oh did I mention some of the best wrestling on earth today! I don't want to see wrestling action through a binocular, I love when I gotta get out of the way because a body is flying at me from the ring in million miles per hour, I wouldn't trade this experience for any fancy venue with a mile long guard rail.

yeah I can hear ya. But I must admit, when I was much younger, part of the appeal was driving to LA... the big crowds and big arenas and bright lights... it was indeed a grand spectacle.That is in NO WAY knocking today's indies, in particular PWG. Some of the craziest crowds and most fun times I had were at little building for the I.W.C. in Riverside circa 2000/2001... place held about 50-60 people... amazing.
There's definitely an appeal to each. Like you said, as long as the wrestling is good and the crowd is hot... good times. And it always helps when the venue looks packed, whether 100 or 10,000.
I get a kick out of how many people are crammed in the Legion Hall for the one show a couple years back with London/Young Bucks vs. Joey/Scott/Karl Anderson (Express Written Consent?)
luca brasi

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum