Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's FEAR takes place on December 10!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's FEAR takes place on December 1

Postby brandenalmostthesmark » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:36 pm

I had more fun at this show then I did at Steen Wolf and wrestling wise IMO I thought it was better than Steen Wolf
brandenalmostthesmark

Postby bat4life » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 pm

I have to agree with Itchypanda, something was at FEAR. My friends and I had front row seats and couldn't figure out why it wasn't living up to the hype. The minute the sound guy fucked up the music in the first half you new something wasn't right. Excaliber couldn't even use his mic and had to talk really loud so everyone can here. PWG STAFF!! please have a sound test before the show, this has happen other times before but never this bad. My friends and I were talking about the matches on the way home and tried to figure out WHY some didn't live up to the hype, we come to the conclusion that there was WAY too much comedy in the Tag matches.

Kenny&TJ Perkins vs Flying taylor boys- To be honest this was one of the best tag matches of the night, both teams wrestled to there highest potential and put on an awesome show. This to me was the best tag match that the taylor boys have had in a long time. The crowd was really loud on this one and you could feel the energy. i always say that the opening match determines the whole night?!?.

Rodrick Strong vs Amazing Red- This match was good even though I believe amzing red looked like he really got hurt half way in the match. He even apoligized after the match. For some reason the crowd wasn't into this match, not sure why seeing as amazing red is a former TNA talent and was doing some amazing moves. I liked this match but the crowd wasn't to much into it, very quite during most of the match.

Team Sleazy (Joey Ryan, Scorpio Sky, Peter Avalon & Ray Rosas) vs. Team Candice (Candice LeRae, Chris Kadillac and Famous B)- A comedy match as a like to call them, i don't mind this matches sometimes but this was OVERKILL. My friends and I got tired of it half way through and started screaming "WRESTLE ALREADY!!". It was a time waster to me, Last time famous B and Kadillac and Candice came out at STEEN WOLF they put on an amazing match and evryone had mad respect for them. This time around there was to many sloppy moves, one that sticks out is famous B going to the top rope and landing right on Joeys face, joey looked out of it at first but continued on. This was one watch me and my friends were really looking forward too and it didn't live up to the expectation. i just started watching PWG the last 2 years so i didn't know who B-Boy was. A talented guy but he didn't fit well with a the sillyness in the match. Very dissapointing match, but there would be more...

Willie Mack vs Chris Hero- Awesome match, better than there last match. Here at first seemed like he was playing the HEEL part kicking and screaming at willie mack " this is what I came back too" . One of thebest singles matches on the card, at the end Hero gave a speech. I was confused as well because I wasn't sure what he meant by that. To be honest he looked a little sad and down that night, Not his usual self. Im sure he got tired of people asking whats going on with the WWE. Yes he did look a little out of shape, but it didn't show in the ring. i believe he hasn't wrestled in over a month.

RockNES Monsters defeated Future Shock- Ok I like Rocknes monsters, future shock brought the house down last time the wrestle the Young bucks. This time around the match wasn't as intence, not sure why. I think Future shock needs to wrestle more teams like the young bucks because it really brings out there talent. Even the crowd saw this and wasn't into the match. When johny yuma screams "come on baby" you know the crowd is a little dead. There were alot of comedic spots ounce again, I belive Future shock were wondering why a sold out corwd isn't as loud as the last time. Overall an ok match.

Amerincan Wolves vs player uno and player dos- I have no idea why these guys are wrestling the american wolves, and I have no idea why pwg crowd likes these guys. To there credit they did do some good spots, but it was always in the back of my head " why are american wolves wrestling these jokers". Match was decent, lots of laughter and hard chops and kicks.

Dick Togo vs Generico- As always generico delivered and this was the first time ive seen Dick Togo, I need to youtube this guy because he's awesome. The match is the best singles matches that night and both wreslters gave it there all. The crowd was really into this match towards the end.

Steen and Dragon vs the Young Bucks in a Guerilla Warfare Match- CRAZY MATCH!! everyone was on there feet to see the return of Super Dragin and he didn't dissapoint. One of the main reason to buy the DVD, these guys almost KILLED themselves on this match. Tables, chairs everywhere!. Superdragon did his move on a table to one of the young buck, unbelieveble. At the end we have new tag team champions and since they destroyed the belts, hopefully will be getting new ones made.

Final thoughts- At the end STEEN WOLF was better, FEAR was ok. I believe if they would have had rocknes vs player uno and dos rematch and then american wolves vs future then it would have been a killer show. The 4 on 4 match should have been 5 min comedy and the rest wrestling and high flying. On an upside Superdragn was awesome and cant wait to see these guys in action again. Agin these are my thoughts of the night, not everyone will feel this way.
bat4life

Postby Garden State Saint » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:07 pm

I would have expected Togo vs. Generico to be the best singles match of the night considering the high amount of tag matches.
Garden State Saint

Postby Hayabusa420 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Any more info or pics perhaps on super dragon? Did he look to be in betterr shape? Was he wrestling like his old self? I've been hoping for his healthy return for 3 years now. Guess I'd just like a little more insight into his general look/ in ring performance at fear
Hayabusa420

Postby DeadBlueBlazer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Hayabusa420 wrote:Any more info or pics perhaps on super dragon? Did he look to be in betterr shape? Was he wrestling like his old self? I've been hoping for his healthy return for 3 years now. Guess I'd just like a little more insight into his general look/ in ring performance at fear

DeadBlueBlazer

Postby DeadBlueBlazer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:50 pm

DeadBlueBlazer

Postby nonhipster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Sadly, I missed Steen Wolf and I am still bummed as it sounded, by all accounts, like the best PWG show of the past few years. So of course I was beyond stoked for Fear. Again I use the term sadly because I didn’t think it lived up to my admittedly huge expectations. But that is something we as wrestling nerds need to live with as just maybe we should not let hype overcome our usual understanding of how pro wrestling is an unpredictable animal.

That said, the crowd did seem dead until the main event (which was as crazy as any of us had predicted). My main complaint is the length of the gig….with a few people dropping off the show maybe it could have become a 6 or 7 match card instead of the usual eight matches. I loved seeing Ray Rosas but that eight man/woman could have been left off. Then again, I understand the idea of keeping a comitment to the guys booked.

Best match to me was Super Smash Bros vs. American Wolves. Tons of spots but, more importantly, just good old tag team story telling with all the usual comedy vs. Indy wrestling mathematics that make up the best PWG matches. I hope SSB become regulars. Togo/Generico was a slow burn that ended up being great but I still favor Liger/Generico as the best Japanese star vs., PWG match of the last few years.

As for the sound problems… not much else to say than it was kind of funny and kind of annoying but that’s life. The guy looked horrified the whole night...I felt bad for him for a bit but he did blow HEROs big surprise. That said, Hero’s return/exit was sad as I don’t think any of us really “got” what it means in wrestling terms. WWE bound? Hiatus? Family problems? All I know post show is that Hero put over the best local star. Willie Mack is ready to be in the top three matches of every PWG show.
nonhipster

Postby ajday » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 am

I guess I'll be the only one to say on here that I don't have much complaints about the wrestling -- probably because I flew down from Oregon, but I personally enjoyed every match. I especially loved the 8-man, with the return of B-Boy and with the references to the Human Tornado and Chris Bosh, it felt like it was an awesome match. Then again, I'm a fan of comedy and allusions to older wrestlers, so that's probably why.

Sound issues throughout did stir up a problem, but it happens. I'm not angry or upset with what happened because that kind of crap happens. If it was a work to play Hero's music by mistake the first time, then it came off well and it fit with the dude struggling throughout the night. I was laughing every time something screwed up with that guy. But hey, pressure causes mistakes, just ask LeBron James...

It was interesting to see two new refs, though. Really wished they would have been introduced or at least given the crowd something to react to. They got chants along the lines of "What's your name?" and no answer was given.

The crowd had it moments of disappointment, though. Especially the "Willie!" yell during Hero's speech. Least Hero told the crowd to not give acknowledgement to the dude. The racial jokes got a little out of hand during the Togo/Generico match, as did the dick jokes, but its what beer does to people I think. Also didn't help that fans were getting into it with one another during the Appetite for Destruction/Young Bucks match -- don't know if their fight really spilled over into the parking lot like they said it would, but I think they paid more attention to one another than to the match.

Overall, it was worth it to come down to Cali in my opinion. You shouldn't blame the sound guy or hate on some matches because the crowd wasn't into it or whatever. It is what it is and we should appreciate the fact that these guys worked their asses off and tried their best. It might not have lived up to the expectations of a lot, but oh well, nothing can be perfect.
ajday

Postby nonhipster » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Don't get me wrong...the show ruled. I've never had a bad experince at a PWG show and I highly doubt I ever will. Hands down, PWG is my favorite promotion and one of the coolest things to do in Los Angeles.
nonhipster

Postby ajday » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:28 am

nonhipster wrote:Don't get me wrong...the show ruled. I've never had a bad experince at a PWG show and I highly doubt I ever will. Hands down, PWG is my favorite promotion and one of the coolest things to do in Los Angeles.

Sorry if what I said came across and knockin' on you man, I wasn't trying to do that. I just wanted to get my opinion out.
ajday

Postby CheMateo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 am

I was hoping to read what some of the older fans had to say. TigerDriver98 & onlxn did you guys make it?

Super Dragon looked and performed great for being out of action for a little over three and a half years. Dragon came out and just started beating the shit out of those tools. In the beginning Dragon was just going nuts beating Nick with a chair. Dragon didn't bother to fold it up, he just bludgeoned Nick's face with the open chair. It was vintage Super Dragon and it was great!

Super Dragon looked graceful hitting all those glorious trademark maneuvers.

Super Dragon Curb Stomped Matt into Nick's dick.

Dragon also hit the Rolling Liger Kick into one of the Bucks.

At one point Nick was on the mat and Dragon was on the top turnbuckle, when Matt taunted Dragon. So Dragon gave him what he deserved and hit his dropkick senton combo.

Dragon took some fan's hat and put it one of the Bucks then reigned blows upon him.

Steen got both the Bucks onto a couple of chairs and Dragon took them both out with his awesome tope con hilo. It never ceases to amaze me.

Dragon was more than happy to also chop the Bucks in the face! The Bucks were also welcomed to the Violence Party.

And for old times sake, Dragon Psycho Drivered Matt through a table!

Dragon also took his punishment like a man. Getting splashed through a table and getting hit in the head with plastic & steel folding chairs.

After the match Dragon made sure to take that fan's hat again and throw it away. It is great having Dragon back, the guy always manages to help me find my smile for wrestling.
CheMateo

Postby Dangerous Robot » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 am

I second everything Mateo said. I hadn't been to a PWG event since Dragon left years ago but when I found out he was returning to the ring I got my ass to the Legion Hall. Dragon looked great and hasn't missed a beat. Can't wait to see where Appetite For Destruction goes from here. . .
Dangerous Robot

Postby Dangerous Robot » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm

oh yeah, here are a bunch of great photos from FEAR
http://www.chdevinphotos.com/p529269436
Dangerous Robot

Postby CheMateo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Dangerous Robot, did you bring your girlfriend to Fear? If you did, what did she think? Did she also mark out for Super Dragon?
CheMateo

Postby Dangerous Robot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:38 pm

I did bring her and she had a pretty good time. She's never really watched any wresting before so the week leading up to FEAR I busted out my PWG DVDs and introduced her to everyone. The last match I showed her was Dragon/Steen Guerilla Warfare so she knew what she was getting into. I told her we would most likely get separated once the Bucks/Appetite match started (I knew I would leave my seat and follow Dragon's path of destruction) so she stayed at her seat and tried to follow the action without getting trampled. She said it was "entertaining" but I think once is enough for her. I on the other hand plan on catching each title defense of the new tag champs. Unfortunately I won't be able to make the January show so I hope Dragon & Steen can get along until February. . .
Dangerous Robot

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 pm

While I enjoyed the show for Dragon's in ring return, seeing Togo live in his FINAL US match before he retires and the surprise appearace of Hero and B-Boy were cool to see but this show wasn't on the same level as Steen Wolf.

People who complain about the sound and music does it even matter? We don't get intros on the DVD's and Excalibur still got his point across at the top of the show even without a mic.

I enjoyed the 8 man and thought it was fine. Maybe it had a little too much comedy but it came across fine and I thought it was great that everyone on Joey's team came out in his gear and even did his trademark pose in the corner. PWG has always been known for their crazy 6 and 8 mans tags that mix comedy with some wrestling and this was no different.

Hero's return/farewell was cool to see. Granted his music going on before the 2nd match did kill a little of the surprise but again who cares. The fact is he came out and worked a good match with Willie who needs to be getting a push already and should be challenging for the belt at some point next year before he blows up and gets more bookings back East.

I thought Wolves/SSB was the best of all the tag matches. I felt bad for Cole/O'Reilley since they worked the Monsters and it showed that the teams didn't mesh well. I had a feeling that might happen but was very surprised by how much I enjoyed SSB/Wolves. I thought it wouldn't be anything special but the SSB's grew on me during the match and they showed they can be a great addition to the tag division in PWG

As for Dragon himself, it was awesome to see him in the ring again. After he left a few years ago, I always wondered if he could get himself into shape and still go in the ring. Well, he proved that he can still go and I hope that we get to see more of him next year
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby Meltman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:09 pm

This is the coolest DVD cover PWG's ever had. Fucking perfect.
Meltman

Postby CheMateo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

CheMateo

Postby musdy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 am

Ordering Steen Wolf and FEAR now.
musdy

Postby SlayJ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:03 am

Well I gotta say, even though I was slightly underwhelmed by the live experience at "FEAR", seeing the hype video has me pretty pumped to watch the show again on DVD. The highlights are definitely awesome! Just ordered my copy.
SlayJ

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum