How Long You have Been a PWG Supporter?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

How Long You have Been a PWG Supporter?

Postby BOLA4ever » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Guys
just created this thread for fun
just curious How long have you been supporting PWG?
My first Show was 2005 Battle of LA Night 2 i was hooked on it when i was little (i was 13, 18 now)
ever since then would support PWG all the way
BOLA4ever

Re: How Long You have Been a PWG Supporter?

Postby Whoblehwah » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:06 pm

I first heard about PWG around the time PWG Sells Out came out. I remember I wanted to check out PWG and I was just like "Oh, well this seems like a great place to start." Been buying shows ever since. Although I haven't been able to buy a new show in a while.
Whoblehwah

Postby Lord Akiyama » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Since 2005 when I heard about the first "Card Subject to Change Show." They advertised Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Hero in an Exploding Cage Surrounded by Circus Elephants Armed with Rocket Launchers Match and read in the results that at match time the stipulation could not be upheld because they could not fit the elephants into the building.

Next was asking about tickets for BoLA via e-mail, during which I asked what exactly did Steen Spirit smell like. Excalibur replied that they had top scientists looking into it at the time.

I would later go to both nights of BoLA and was immediately hooked.
Lord Akiyama

Postby So Cal Punk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Express Written Consent. Yes, Paul London introduced me to PWG.
So Cal Punk

Postby TigerDriver98 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I had advance tickets to the Debut Show. What took everyone so long? It's been awesome since 2003.
TigerDriver98

Postby Derper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 pm

First show I watched was Kurt Russellreunion. Don't remember how I got into it, maybe a friend of a friend recommended it. Anyways, I watched it and thought it was a good enough show to watch other PWG shows and I found out that every show had no real flaw (at least not big enough for me to notice and stop watching). There was no 'bad' show, every one I watched was either solid or a great f'kn show and had people who I knew were big names in the indy scene or more known local guys. It had me coming back for more and when I watched Seven I declared PWG the best promotion in existence.
Derper

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Started hearing about PWG in mid 2004 and kept up on the product through the boards and results. Finally got to Earnest P. Worrell in 2005 and have been supporting since then
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby EnforceTheWorld » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:02 am

My best friend Brad got me into PWG. We worked together at a restaurant with another guy named Matt and me absent-mindedly saying he had "Mattitude" (back in 2006) made him realize I was a fellow pro wrestling fan. It wasn't until January 2008 that he invited me to go to a show with him, All Star Weekend 6, Night Two.

I had been a big follower of ROH and even went to the Las Vegas show they had a few months prior, so I was familiar with more of the big names who came out, but not people like Karl Anderson, Super Dragon, The Young Bucks or The Dynasty, but halfway through the show my voice starting getting so hoarse from my screaming that I knew I was a PWG fan. This was my kind of wrestling: high impact, hard hitting, with just enough emphasis on psychology and storylines but with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I was hooked.

The next show I went to was "Dia de los Dangerous!" with my girlfriend at the time and she loved it as well. I went with Brad to many more shows that year, bringing along two of our wrestling buddies and making them fans as well. The last show I saw with Brad was Threemendous 2 before he died in a car accident a few years later.
EnforceTheWorld

Postby ad.breed » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:42 am

I saw that Fighting Spirit magazine made the PWG Sells Out dvd of the month in 2008. Up until then I was only really watching WWE and TNA. Indy feds like ROH and CZW's shows were reported on so I kind of knew who a lot of guys like Bryan Danielson, Kevin Steen and El Generico were from photos and such. 2008 pretty much blew in WWE so I thought Fuck it and got hold on the dvd. I FUCKING LOVED IT! The match that sealed it was Super Dragon/Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong/ Jack Evans. Awesome match and the funniest commentary ever. The dvds are really hard to find here in Britain so until a couple of years ago I only had random shows or bootlegs (sorry PWG ) but now thanks to the anthology's that highspots put out I'm pretty much up to date.
ad.breed

Postby The Franchise13 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:21 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of Indy Wrestling... I would only watch WWE, TNA and a little of ROH. I would watch ROH because of its great wrestling matches (something that WWE/TNA wouldn't have). I would only watch ROH for a little though, since back then there was no such thing as IPPV or HDNET. I am also a huge on taking pictures with wrestlers/divas. In 2009, I was searching the internet for autograph signings and I came across a Sunny website. It said that Sunny did an autograph signing at an Indy Show in LA... but I was a few days late.

At that point I extended my search on the web to make sure it didn't happen again. I then accidentally came across a website that was advertising Bryan Danielson. I clicked on that site, and it was a PWG website. It was advertising Bryan Danielson vs Chris Sabin. The show.... Threemendous 2. I attended the show and was surprised by everything: the crowd, the beer, the interaction, but especially the wrestling. Since then, I have yet to miss a show.
The Franchise13

Postby socalstrongstyle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:55 pm

I was a fan from day one and never missed a single show besides the euro shows until about 09. I pretty much quit attending shows after that. Not due to quality,but due to burnout and distance.
socalstrongstyle

Postby BOLA4ever » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 pm

socalstrongstyle wrote:I was a fan from day one and never missed a single show besides the euro shows until about 09. I pretty much quit attending shows after that. Not due to quality,but due to burnout and distance.

WOA since their debut show
thats awesome!!!

i wonder if anybody from the very first show attends
i havent seen regulars from all the way then in such a long time
BOLA4ever

Postby fatallylost » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:36 pm

So Cal Punk wrote:Express Written Consent. Yes, Paul London introduced me to PWG.

Same here. I was sold because I'm a huge London fan. Also having followed Joey around the LA indies a bit the months prior led me there.
fatallylost

Postby DuckyChaos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:23 am

I never watched PWG until a friend showed me a couple of DVD's last year. I dunno why I never watched sooner as I used to follow the PWG guys who were in XPW (I mostly watched that for the ex-ECW guys) and would always hire 'em whenever I played Extreme Warfare Revenge.
DuckyChaos

Postby LBOinyamouf4sho » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 am

i watched CZW best of the best 2 ans super dragon & b boy really stood out to me. a few days later at my bros i decided to see what i could find out about them which led me to news of the PWG debut show. i said fuck it and made the drive and had a blast. since then i've always tried to make at least 2 shows a year. took the last year and a 1/2 off though because the reseda spot was so packed it felt unsafe for my son(did go to the wrestlereunions though), but he's added a little size and strength so we made are return at steen wolf. damn did we pick the right show for ou comeback
LBOinyamouf4sho

Postby Garden State Saint » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am

Since Kee_ The _ee Out of Our _ool...by then I was a full blown indy wrestling nut.
Garden State Saint

Postby Hayabusa420 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Since 2005. I'm a huge Hayabusa mark(if you couldn't tell). While looking up info on Hayabusa's phoenix splash I discovered a picture and little article about a wrestler named super dragon and it said he used the phoenix splash. I thought he sounded pretty awesome based on moves it said he did and his attire/mask looked pretty awesome. So I had a friend look up some matches for me and the first match I saw was super dragon vs kevin steen bola night 1 and I was immediately blown away by that match and after that I couldn't get enough super dragon or pwg and started buying pwg dvds from highspots.
Hayabusa420

Postby SlayJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Like Garden State Saint, my first live show was "Kee_ The _ee out of our _ool" in '04. I decided to make the drive up from San Diego because I wanted to see some of the ROH talent that I had been following like Danielson, Joe and Spanky. I actually arrived up there about 4 hours early and since the door was open I just walked in and sat down. A bunch of the guys were practicing in the ring and Samoa Joe even came up to me and introduced himself. Somebody finally got wise that I was just some Mark sitting there reading my Observer and asked me to wait outside. haha. But I really enjoyed that show and wound up attending the rest of the Santa Ana events and the first few Hollywood shows before getting out of the scene for awhile.

Recently I've been front row at every Reseda event for the past year plus and have no plans of that changing! I absolutely need that monthly fix of PWG!
SlayJ

Postby So Cal Punk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm

fatallylost wrote:
So Cal Punk wrote:Express Written Consent. Yes, Paul London introduced me to PWG.

Same here. I was sold because I'm a huge London fan. Also having followed Joey around the LA indies a bit the months prior led me there.

yeah i knew of Joey Ryan & Super Dragon prior to watching PWG as well
So Cal Punk

Postby Facetious » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Since 2008 when I picked up PWG Sells Out at Best Buy while looking for the ROH DVDs (Quite glad they didn't have them hah). Really didn't start getting hooked until 09 when I finally got to see some full shows and started buying every DVD from 2010 and continue to buy every DVD this year and in the future.
Facetious

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum