New ring?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

New ring?

Postby truckermudflaps » Mon May 30, 2011 12:01 pm

As a fan, I'm curious what can we do to get a shinny new PWG ring. It seems like every match ive been to lately a bolt snaps off, or ropes look super loose and duct taped, turnbuckles don't even stay on, or in Claudio's case the whole top rope busted off.
I hate seeing our beloved wrestlers getting hurt and call me a pansy, but I enjoy a great safe match. Now, I have no clue how match rings cost, but isnt there some grassroots way we as fans could get a donation going. Or maybe a few shows were proceeds go towards a new ring? Just make the show cost more so wrestlers still get some money. Maybe like a double price ticket night. I don't know, just throwing ideas out. If any fellow fans, local or far, have any suggestions let me know what you think. Or if anyone is experienced in fund raising type of stuff, maybe you can take the ball and roll with it.
Sorry to get all hippie on everyone, hope you all had a safe and stellar Memorial weekend.
Ryan
truckermudflaps

Re: New ring?

Postby BayAreaPWGFan » Mon May 30, 2011 1:48 pm

They should at least get a new top rope and screws. Maybe they did? I remember the top rope snapping 3x, once by Ronin, Kenny Omega could have had a serious injury when they snapped at BOLA 08 and they snapped again this weekend. I thought they were going to go when Willie Mack ran the ropes night 1 match 1. You could see the ropes sweat.
BayAreaPWGFan

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:57 pm

I believe PWG just rents the rings. I guess they could find somewhere else to rent from if the problems continue.
TigerDriver98

Postby fatallylost » Mon May 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Most companies do rent them, especially if they don't run constant shows. PWG uses the EWF ring (or, Jesse Hernandez's, whoever that works out) Rings can be quite pricy, and in a sense, it would be a cost they don't need to undertake.

I know the NWA Hollywood tapings use the Mach 1 ring, so there is that option if needed. It seems to be just as sturdy as any ring (of all 1 rings I've been inside of) The thing is, the ropes get used week after week, and sometimes 2-3 times a weekend, so they do wear down over time, of course.

I'd be all for PWG having their own personal ring, but, I don't think it makes sense money/storage wise.
fatallylost

Postby hjaskater » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 am

A good flexbeam ring can cost around five or six grand, sometimes more depending on who you go to. If they're to get a new ring, that's the way to go. They just have a way better bump than the old coil-spring rings.
hjaskater

Postby camstun187 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:19 am

I hope they keep whatever ring they're using. I just love the way it sounds on impact, moreso than any other ring out there.
camstun187

Postby Matt Flash » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:55 pm

The EWF ring is incredible. The ropes... well, that's debatable. I think the middle rope definitely needs to be tightened so it doesn't give so much. The other two times the top rope has snapped, it's been on Night 2 of a double shot, and probably just didn't get loosened overnight to let the tension out. This time, I really don't know. I can't remember ever hearing about the top rope being broken during an EWF show, so this might just be chalked up to bad luck. Or the wrestlers just going harder and using the ropes more, thus putting more wear and tear on them.

Bump-wise, you're probably not going to find a better ring than EWF's, and I can attest to that. PWG is very move/spot oriented, and there are a lot of bumps going on in every match. It has great sound, and is comfortable as hell. I'd be all for PWG getting their own ring, but then they'd have to contract out for help to set up/break down for shows, and really they might as well just rent if they're only going to do shows every 1-2 months.
Matt Flash

Postby PWGLove » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:29 am

truckermudflaps wrote:As a fan, I'm curious what can we do to get a shinny new PWG ring. It seems like every match ive been to lately a bolt snaps off, or ropes look super loose and duct taped, turnbuckles don't even stay on, or in Claudio's case the whole top rope busted off.
I hate seeing our beloved wrestlers getting hurt and call me a pansy, but I enjoy a great safe match. Now, I have no clue how match rings cost, but isnt there some grassroots way we as fans could get a donation going. Or maybe a few shows were proceeds go towards a new ring? Just make the show cost more so wrestlers still get some money. Maybe like a double price ticket night. I don't know, just throwing ideas out. If any fellow fans, local or far, have any suggestions let me know what you think. Or if anyone is experienced in fund raising type of stuff, maybe you can take the ball and roll with it.
Sorry to get all hippie on everyone, hope you all had a safe and stellar Memorial weekend.
Ryan

I sat next to you and your girlfriend the last couple of shows and agree completly. I think our side got a good view at how much they do need a new ring. Literally, bolts were flying off and even before the incident with Claudio the three of us had joked(out of fear) the ring was about to collapse. It pretty much did, I would be down for some "hippie" (funny stuff)fund raising. These guys put on great matches and I would hate to see someone get hurt over the ring not being good. I think we should throw around some ideas and get these boys some new equipment or at least help getting it started. Maybe something as simple as a new ring donation cup at the door where we pick up tickets. People can just throw in whatever they can and start there. I guess to start we need Excalibur or someone else in charge to give the green light first. Im down for the cause.
PWGLove

Postby PWGLove » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:34 am

fatallylost wrote:Most companies do rent them, especially if they don't run constant shows. PWG uses the EWF ring (or, Jesse Hernandez's, whoever that works out) Rings can be quite pricy, and in a sense, it would be a cost they don't need to undertake.

I know the NWA Hollywood tapings use the Mach 1 ring, so there is that option if needed. It seems to be just as sturdy as any ring (of all 1 rings I've been inside of) The thing is, the ropes get used week after week, and sometimes 2-3 times a weekend, so they do wear down over time, of course.

I'd be all for PWG having their own personal ring, but, I don't think it makes sense money/storage wise.

What if the donations are just to upgrade whoevers ring this is. They still use, store and own just something a little safer. Do you think the ring now is good enough and just needs some work or new pieces? I dont know these things but as a fan Ive been scared for wrestlers the last few shows because it clearly is shaky the ring. I would hate to see an injury because of equipment.
PWGLove

Postby PWGLove » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 am

BayAreaPWGFan wrote:They should at least get a new top rope and screws. Maybe they did? I remember the top rope snapping 3x, once by Ronin, Kenny Omega could have had a serious injury when they snapped at BOLA 08 and they snapped again this weekend. I thought they were going to go when Willie Mack ran the ropes night 1 match 1. You could see the ropes sweat.

I think that match with Willie Mack and Steen is the one that stressed out those ropes. Thats the match were bolts flew off and the ring literally was being moved inches at a time as each wrestler ran the ropes. Our side was on high alert then but I just again would hate to see someone hurt. The whole way home we talked about how lucky Claudio was that he didnt get hurt hes so big if he had topples out on his head or something ......anyway beating a dead horse here.
PWGLove

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum