All Star Weekend 8 - May 27 & 28, 2011 in Reseda, CA

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: All Star Weekend 8 - May 27 & 28, 2011 in Reseda, CA

Postby truckermudflaps » Mon May 30, 2011 12:06 pm

ajday wrote:Two things: Don't say "boring" and don't start a "Ring of Honor" chant at any point of the night. Better yet, knock off the "WRESTLING!" shit during ever single match, too. The shit was getting old.

I could not agree with you more. These whack ass chants need to stop. It's lame live and it's lame on DVD. Just stop it already...please.
truckermudflaps

Postby eastbay510 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:27 pm

SlayJ wrote:I just got back down to San Diego a few hours ago after a crazy couple of nights in Reseda and wanted to share some thoughts about All Star Weekend. First off, my voice is completely shot, my hands are swollen from clapping for Tozawa and my girlfriend's alcohol poisoning reached new heights of vomit production. Good times indeed! These shows could most definitely be subtitled "Card Subject To Change 4 & 5". The amount of line-up shuffling was pretty insane. But for the most part PWG still came through with flying colors. There were certain matches that exceeded expectaions (and some that didn't). But overall it was a helluva good time and I want to say THANK YOU to everyone involved at PWG!

I think Night One was the slightly better show from top to bottom. It just seemed to flow really well and the crowd was more involved than they were for the majority of Night 2. But I think "steady" would make for a better description than "spectacular". And I hope that doesn't come across as negative. I enjoyed every match on the show and the guys all worked hard. Steen and Mack smacked the hell out of each other! And Eddie Edwards and Alex Shelley put on a wrestling clinic. But El Generico & Ricochet vs Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa was THE Standout Match of the night!!! It is a MUST SEE MOTY contender! Just unbelievable action! I was actually kind of against this match happening at first. But by the end of it I was completely STOKED that I got to see it live! And I cannot say enough to praise Kevin Steen for going all out working triple duty over the weekend. The guy is incredible!

Unfortunately for Claudio and Hero, they had to follow THAT tag team insanity. And it was tough to keep a tiring crowd hot for a slow building match that (I believe) didn't get going until around midnight. That plus the fact that the top rope broke half way through it and these guys were fighting an uphill battle. But the fans hung in there and they worked a damn fine match that probably deserved better luck and timing. I look forward to giving it another look on dvd.

Night Two limped out of the gate with four subpar matches and really looked to be in trouble. The line-up shuffling continued (due to the unfortunate injury to Chuck Taylor) and it resulted in a Ricochet/Willie Mack battle that never quite jelled (I think we should've gotten Ricochet vs Generico instead). The Cutlers vs Dynasty match was quite frankly boring to me, despite the Cutlers trying their best to really heel it up. And as an aside, I think PWG would benefit from mixing in a more consistant "heel/face" dynamic. The Young Bucks are really the only STRONG heels at the moment. And I think PWG needs a few more guys that we can lay the wood to without feeling douchey about it.

Probably the most disappointing match of the weekend for me was Steen & Tozawa against the RockNES Monsters. And it wasn't from lack of effort. It just didn't click. The initial brawling looked bad. And there were subtle things that seemed off between the two teams. Worst of all, after they finally started getting a good rhythm going in the match, everything fell apart completely. I don't know if Steen injured his leg or if Yuma was knocked silly (or both). But the match almost came to an awkward standstill before the finish. And obviously I'm not trying to downplay the physicality of this thing, because it WAS physical. But I really wanted to see Tozawa go out on a higher note. And I suppose it's fitting that a guy with the last name of Hero would prove to be just that! He laid the challenge out to Tozawa and the second night in Reseda was about to make a GIANT upswing!!!

El Generico vs Eddie Edwards was up next. And it took a little time to get the crowd going. But from the moment they shifted gears, the fans were hooked and this thing was as amazing as you'd expect!!! Great wrestling and highspots galore. It was the first in a trifecta of pure awesomeness! And I was very much back in to things and looking forward to the 2nd half in a big way!

Austin Aries...Roderick Strong...Matt Jackson...Nick Jackson. What does that equal? HOLY SHIT is what!!!! I really don't even know where to start with this match! I'm just glad I wasn't taking a squrt when this thing began ( I may have gotten killed!)! I decided after drinking up a storm on night one to limit myself to one pitcher of beer on night two. And this just HAD TO BE the match where I was stuck holding that sumbitch. For those who were NOT in Reseda to witness this live, the first several minutes was complete anarchy all over the building including trips in to both the Men's AND woman's restrooms. I was front row ringside and my entire section was completely demolished before they even made it to the ring. The entire match was tremendous and this is another MUST SEE bout! Aries had his working shoes on in a BIG way! Roddy Strong is Roddy Strong! And the Young Bucks are an absolutely INCREDIBLE team!!! Friggin' LOVED this!!!!!

What came next was quite possibly the most fun and emotionally charged match I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing live. THANK YOU, Akira Tozawa and Chris Hero for putting the exclaimation point on a tremendous weekend and for giving every fan in the building a moment we will never forget. The match itself was GREAT!!!! But the post match farewell to Akira Tozawa was quite possibly the GREATEST moment I've personally ever been a part of at a live wrestling event. Seeing the genuine emotion and love between the fans and Tozawa is what it's all about! And I was so incredibly proud to be a fan of Professional Wrestling at that moment. Just pure class!

Poor Claudio had to ONCE AGAIN follow up the nearly unfollowable (which is probably not even a word, but oh well). And despite the fact that I was very happy to see Low Ki having a shot at the title, there was almost no way this thing could live up to the last couple of matches. But dammit if they didn't give it a run!!! Once again, this is the kind of match that would probably get over huge if luck and timing were better. I can't even recall how many rotations Claudio gave Ki on the Giant Swing, but it was MONEY! And you know that Low Ki was bringing the stiffness. But the fans were drained. And I don't care how good the work in the ring is, if the fans aren't responding, it's tough to truly gauge how great of a match it is. This is another one I need to see on dvd.

Fuck I've rambled enough. For those who are actually still reading this, thank you! and once again, THANK YOU PWG!!!

Jay

No disrespect or anything but I completly disagree with you, I think Ricochet/Mack was one of the best matches on night 2 and had the "holy shit" moment of the weekend. Also Excalibur, if you read this please bring Kenny King back.
eastbay510

Postby SlayJ » Mon May 30, 2011 1:49 pm

eastbay510 wrote:No disrespect or anything but I completly disagree with you, I think Ricochet/Mack was one of the best matches on night 2 and had the "holy shit" moment of the weekend. Also Excalibur, if you read this please bring Kenny King back.

No disrespect taken. And I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did. Hell, Ricochet and Willie are two of my favorites and I really wanted to love this match. Maybe it was the fact that there was no build up to it and the match didn't tell much of a story beyond a few subtle heel tendencies from Ricochet. Or maybe it had something to do with how much I was anticipating Chucky T going up against Ricochet. My impression was that it just felt like two guys doing a technically solid match that went from spot to spot without much psychology or emotion. It was by no means bad. I just didn't connect with it like I did several other matches over the weekend.
SlayJ

Postby SlayJ » Mon May 30, 2011 3:43 pm

truckermudflaps wrote:
ajday wrote:Two things: Don't say "boring" and don't start a "Ring of Honor" chant at any point of the night. Better yet, knock off the "WRESTLING!" shit during ever single match, too. The shit was getting old.

I could not agree with you more. These whack ass chants need to stop. It's lame live and it's lame on DVD. Just stop it already...please.

Well as a guy who kicks off his fair share of chants and enjoys being vocal at PWG shows, I'd like to weigh in on this. When I make the trek from San Diego to Reseda every few months to support Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, I go in with the intent to have fun, let loose, enjoy some drinks and be a loud supportive fan. I realize that not everybody is like that. But the last thing I want to do is pay my hard earned money to sit on my hands or offer up golf claps like I'm watching the PGA. Fuck that, I'm going to let off some steam and let all these guys know how good of a time I'm having and how much I appreciate their work. If some of the chants seem redundant to you, I'm sorry. But I'd rather say "WRESTLING!" and possibly get a few people to respond in kind than to just sit there watching in silence. However I will try to not beat things like that in to the ground from now on. I realize sometimes that after the 3rd or 4th pitcher of beer, common sense can go out the window. And I may be guilty of repeating certain things a bit excessively from time to time, which can be annoying. I'll work on it. And before I continue let me say that I would NEVER chant "Boring" at a PWG show. I have the upmost respect for everybody that gets in that ring and I am only there to be 100% positive!

The "ROH" chant was just a dumb mistake that I won't make again. But it was not done with the intention to disrespect PWG or any of the fans at all. I only did it during the Eddie Edwards vs Alex Shelley match out of respect to Edwards for reaching the pinnacle of becoming Ring Of Honor Champion. I thought it was coming from a good place, but I deserved being called out on that one.

So again, I'm sorry to the people that don't like us loud bastards. But just understand, it totally comes from a place of love and respect for PWG. And sure, I may see myself occasionally on dvd hoisting my drink in the air every five seconds or banging the mat like an idiot and realize I look like a dumbass. But then I think about how much friggin' fun I was having and it's all worth it!
SlayJ

Postby fatallylost » Mon May 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Is it bad that I wish we could have Steen in more matches? Possibly a Steen twin tag team title run? #dreamtheimpossible
fatallylost

Postby krayzie Bone » Mon May 30, 2011 7:32 pm

I actually originally started "Wrestling Yay" chant in PWG. This chant originally was started by Joey Eastman and his friends in Chicago, I picked it up and brought it over to California. Actually many wrestlers know about this chant and even fans on the east coast do it. However fans in PWG never really got it. The key is you gotta do it when its really quiet and when the action in the ring is really technical. You can't just randomly yell it out.

But yes I agree TNA or ROH chants are just plain stupid and don't belong at PWG show.
krayzie Bone

Postby fatallylost » Mon May 30, 2011 9:07 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:I actually originally started "Wrestling Yay" chant in PWG. This chant originally was started by Joey Eastman and his friends in Chicago, I picked it up and brought it over to California. Actually many wrestlers know about this chant and even fans on the east coast do it. However fans in PWG never really got it. The key is you gotta do it when its really quiet and when the action in the ring is really technical. You can't just randomly yell it out.

But yes I agree TNA or ROH chants are just plain stupid and don't belong at PWG show.

That's what I'm talking about. It's like the slow clap guy, who just tries to wedge it in everywhere.
fatallylost

Postby BayAreaPWGFan » Tue May 31, 2011 9:39 am

So were you the guy with the annoying Chris Hero chants on night two? "Another Chris Hero snoozefest"
I thought those chants were so disrespectful.
BayAreaPWGFan

Postby ajday » Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 am

BayAreaPWGFan wrote:So were you the guy with the annoying Chris Hero chants on night two? "Another Chris Hero snoozefest"

I agree. Those chants pissed me off more then the guys from night one. Its one thing to say "You suck" or something once or twice, but to say it throughout the match without getting any attention from the wrestler but instead from the fans, realize its not working for you in the way you want it to.
ajday

Postby fatallylost » Tue May 31, 2011 3:02 pm

ajday wrote:
BayAreaPWGFan wrote:So were you the guy with the annoying Chris Hero chants on night two? "Another Chris Hero snoozefest"

I agree. Those chants pissed me off more then the guys from night one. Its one thing to say "You suck" or something once or twice, but to say it throughout the match without getting any attention from the wrestler but instead from the fans, realize its not working for you in the way you want it to.

The problem is, he got a laugh for the first one. So, whenever that happens, no matter who it is, it then leads to doing it constantly.

I love fans who work t get themselves over, and add nothing to the matches/evening.
fatallylost

Postby SlayJ » Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm

fatallylost wrote:
ajday wrote:

The problem is, he got a laugh for the first one. So, whenever that happens, no matter who it is, it then leads to doing it constantly.

I love fans who work t get themselves over, and add nothing to the matches/evening.

Yeah I agree with all of this. I see no problem with Booing wrestlers that you don't like. But to take personal potshots or try to get yourself over by being negative is idiotic. There's no point to be disrespectful towards any of these guys. They all bust their ass' to put on a great show in front of a small crowd. The least we can do is be energetic and enthusiastic without being dicks. And thankfully the majority of us are.
SlayJ

Postby CrOwNMeKiNG23 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 pm

To the people that went to night 2, was there any info about the next show?
CrOwNMeKiNG23

Postby krayzie Bone » Tue May 31, 2011 8:54 pm

Not only they are putting on good show for a small crowd, they are putting on the best show in America, hands down. Two new rules PWG should make; 1. If you can't manage your liquor don't seat in front row. 2. Do not put yourself over.
krayzie Bone

Postby El Asian » Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 pm

CrOwNMeKiNG23 wrote:To the people that went to night 2, was there any info about the next show?

I believe July 23 although I might've heard wrong
El Asian

Postby ajday » Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:Not only they are putting on good show for a small crowd, they are putting on the best show in America, hands down. Two new rules PWG should make; 1. If you can't manage your liquor don't seat in front row. 2. Do not put yourself over.

Can we add a third and say "3. Do not quote videos that are online"? I swore I heard "It's still real to me damnit!" two or three times.

El Asian wrote:
CrOwNMeKiNG23 wrote:To the people that went to night 2, was there any info about the next show?

It was in the 20s of July.
ajday

Postby CrOwNMeKiNG23 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 pm

El Asian wrote:

It was in the 20s of July.[/quote]

Thanks guys :wink:
CrOwNMeKiNG23

Postby El Asian » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:08 am

I heard it was on Saturday and if it were the 20s, it be 23, which would suck because I will have to miss that as I'm heading to San Diego Comic Con that weekend :(
El Asian

Postby dingo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:49 am

I heard them say July 23 as I was walking out the door.
dingo

Postby The Franchise13 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:30 pm

It will be on July 23rd... which sucks. Another 7 more weeks without PWG
The Franchise13

Postby BayAreaPWGFan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Would that make the July show the Anniversary show?
BayAreaPWGFan

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum