PWG's Summer 2006 Schedule

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

PWG's Summer 2006 Schedule

Postby PWG_Silverback » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:07 pm

July 16, 2006 - "Threemendous" PWG's 3 Year Anniversary

September 1, 2, & 3 - Battle of Los Angeles

That's right, BOLA will be 3 days, and the biggest PWG show ever. So make your travel plans accordingly!
Last edited by PWG_Silverback on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby WannaB » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:24 pm

A 3 Day Tourny + more!? Holy shitballs! That's awesome news.
WannaB

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:30 pm

Darn, I just knew they would have a show on August 5th... the one day I probably can't make it :cry: Watch THAT be the greatest PWG show ever.

But, holy crap... I can hardly fathom what insanity PWG has in store for us... with a 3 day BOLA! Good gravy maaaaan, that will be an amazing weekend for sure.
TigerDriver98

Postby ToddMartin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:49 pm

3 days in a row seems like too much to me. I guess as a one time experiment we'll see how it goes, but I hope it doesn't become a trend.
ToddMartin

Postby El Asian » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:12 pm

wow, I don't know what surprises me more, the fact BOLA 2006 is a 3 night tourny or that they only have 1 show in August instead of 2, oh well, very curious what they are doing BOLA this year (I'm guessing they are doing the way Chikara did TWGP, which should be fine, more people getting certain wrestlers in the tourny I guess)
El Asian

Postby WannaB » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:53 pm

I think the reasoning behind the 3 day show is to give the two finalist more breathing room.

If you'll remember that last year both Bosh & Styles wound up fighting in 3 matches on Night 2, one of the reasons that their match was so short.

The first round of 16 men takes up one whole night. With a third night they can space out the quarterfinals, semi-finals, and the finals instead of having them all on the same night. Maybe the quarters and the semis will be on night 2, and the finals on night 3. Or quarters on night 2, and the semis and finals on 3.

That, or they're contemplating a 32 man tournament. :wink: I wish.

And the reasoning behind there being only one show in August is probably because the Anniversary shows & BOLA are going to cost them an obscene amount of money as far as bookings are concerned. They're probably just being frugal with the money to avoid any problems.
WannaB

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:25 pm

Maybe they will arrange it like Chikara's tag tourney, only with 32 single wrestlers.

Meaning, both Nights 1 and 2 would each have 16 different wrestlers in first and second round matches. While Night 3 would have the final 8 wrestlers compete in the quarterfinals, semifinals and the finals to determine the winner.

Wow, Just imagine all the possibilities of a 32 man PWG tournament... unreal.
TigerDriver98

Postby The Masked Akeem » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:38 am

I would think a Battle of L.A. 16-team tag team tournament would be preferential, especially if they are doing 3 shows in a row.

That way you still have enough talent for the tournament matches, as well as mixing up the non-tourney matches.
The Masked Akeem

Postby onlxn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:57 am

A BOLA triple-shot?! Hot damn!

I'll echo what others have said: both that they should book it TWGP-style and that it's a somewhat risky idea in terms of attendance. But holy crap, that should be amazing.

As a sidenote, doesn't it look kind of weird in retrospect that Bosh won BOLA last year? We all expected it to be the start of big things for him, and it just didn't happen. Obviously bad luck played a part, in the form of injuries etc., but really winning BOLA just looks like a huge aberration in Bosh's otherwise pretty unimpressive singles career. In a way I think it'd help the long-term prestige of the tournament to have a big name win it this year, so it's clearly a tournament of national intrigue rather than a way to put a So-Cal-er on the map every year...
onlxn

Postby evilpaz » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:08 am

It's probably been said before (or blatantly obvious) but a 32 man tourney would cost WAAAAAAAAY too much money for the 6 fed-heads. You can have 16 and utilize them in different matches all three days rather than seeing a few of them twice on two days.. or something.

Anyways, my early prediction is that if a So Cal guy is going over... it's gonna be Scorpio Sky.
evilpaz

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:45 am

evilpaz wrote:It's probably been said before (or blatantly obvious) but a 32 man tourney would cost WAAAAAAAAY too much money for the 6 fed-heads. You can have 16 and utilize them in different matches all three days rather than seeing a few of them twice on two days.. or something.

Not really. If you look at the May 6th show, it features 26 wrestlers and that is minus the originally scheduled Briscoes Brothers and Davey Richards, so 29 it would have been. And that's just one normal PWG show.

So It's not at all unlikely that for a triple shot, they'd be able to add the needed wrestlers to fill a 32 man tourney.

They did say, it would be their "biggest show ever" and I don't see that being the case with a 16 man tourney drawn out over 3 days. I have a feeling PWG is going to go all out with these shows, and blow our collective minds.
TigerDriver98

Postby WannaB » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:00 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:
evilpaz wrote:It's probably been said before (or blatantly obvious) but a 32 man tourney would cost WAAAAAAAAY too much money for the 6 fed-heads. You can have 16 and utilize them in different matches all three days rather than seeing a few of them twice on two days.. or something.

Not really. If you look at the May 6th show, it features 26 wrestlers and that is minus the originally scheduled Briscoes Brothers and Davey Richards, so 29 it would have been. And that's just one normal PWG show.

So It's not at all unlikely that for a triple shot, they'd be able to add the needed wrestlers to fill a 32 man tourney.

They did say, it would be their "biggest show ever" and I don't see that being the case with a 16 man tourney drawn out over 3 days. I have a feeling PWG is going to go all out with these shows, and blow our collective minds.

I agree in that it would be pretty easy to come up with 32 men for the tourny, but the cost of keeping them for 3 days could be enormous especially if a good number of them are flown in.

It is true however that if they did a 32 man and split up the qualifying rounds into two days. 16 men on day one, and 16 men on day two. It would lower the cost. But this tactic might hurt the attendance. Some people might not want to attend a respective night as their favorite wrestlers might not be featured. If they do this, they need to book EVERYONE on night 3 in some form or another to ensure maximum attendance. I'd love to see a 32 man tourny, but I think it might not be a financially wise decision for PWG given the cost and the size of the crowd.
WannaB

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:22 pm

evilpaz wrote:It's probably been said before (or blatantly obvious) but a 32 man tourney would cost WAAAAAAAAY too much money for the 6 fed-heads.

Here's a story you might find interesting. In January of 2004, PWG had a tournament. A 16 team tournament over the course of two days. 32 guys were in it, and there were a bunch of fly ins. Plus they had two other wrestlers wrestling those nights. They were able to pull it off, with only 150 people in the crowd. Now, I'm sure with DVD sales, and bigger crowds, PWG could pull it off. They've done shows in Europe, something not many promotions can claim that are based in the US. I don't think a triple shot is that hard to pull off, and there's no format announced and PWG is smart with cost cutting measures. Things will work out, have faith.

Obviously bad luck played a part, in the form of injuries etc., but really winning BOLA just looks like a huge aberration in Bosh's otherwise pretty unimpressive singles career.

Not really. Only one reall major injury hurt Bosh's run, and he hasn't been made to look horrible as you always seem to make it out on DVDR. Most of his loses stemmed from dirty tactics, or things that took a lot to put him away. People keep looking at him losing a lot, but they fail to realize that Bosh has been made to look like an underdog who looks like a threat to Joey. PWG is obviously going somewhere with this, and you can't rule out anything that has been done yet till you know when they've gotten to where they wanted to go to.

And having a big name indy worker wouldn't do anything to bring prestige to the tournament. Having people from around the world, and then having a young SoCal guy win it helps establish that person. The TPI tournaments have always been about putting the younger and upcoming talent over, and it's a formula that's worked for years. When AJ Styles won it, nobody liked it as it took away from that. It wasn't special. Same with the Super 8.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:56 pm

Not really. Only one reall major injury hurt Bosh's run, and he hasn't been made to look horrible as you always seem to make it out on DVDR.

Last summer, Bosh was possibly the most over wrestler in PWG. Every show, he'd get nuclear, sustained heat. Now he gets occasional chants, but in general he has much less heat. I'd say there are at least a dozen workers who get better and more consistent heat than he does. You may not call that "looking horrible", but I do.

Most of his loses stemmed from dirty tactics, or things that took a lot to put him away.

True. But first of all, let's be clear about his PWG singles record. He went 4-0 at the Battle of Los Angeles. That's ONE MORE SINGLES WIN THAN HE'S GOTTEN IN THE REST OF HIS PWG SINGLES CAREER. And since BOLA, he's gone 2-10, and failed to capture the PWG Title on six different occasions. Christ, he's even eaten all the pins for Arrogance since they got back together.

Sure -- he loses to dirty tactics a lot. All PWG faces do. But the top-card, pushed faces win *despite* dirty tactics. Bosh never does.

People keep looking at him losing a lot, but they fail to realize that Bosh has been made to look like an underdog who looks like a threat to Joey.

There's absolutely no way that Bosh looks like more of a threat to Joey than any other of Joey's challengers. Seriously. *Every* challenger has had Joey beaten, only to lose to some chicanery. If you look at how each challenger has been booked, probably the only guy that's been presented as *less* of a threat to Joey's title is the Tornado.

PWG is obviously going somewhere with this, and you can't rule out anything that has been done yet till you know when they've gotten to where they wanted to go to.

I don't think they're going anywhere with it anymore, and if they are, it's a big mistake. This isn't "face who has to struggle to get the belt"; this is "face who simply can't get the job done", and it's reflected in his loss of heat. Shit, Bosh isn't even the most-pushed singles worker on his own team at this point.

They may have their reasons, but be honest: PWG has decided to remove Bosh from the uppercard. There's no long-term story planning that could justify robbing Bosh of all his momentum and all of his heat.

And having a big name indy worker wouldn't do anything to bring prestige to the tournament. Having people from around the world, and then having a young SoCal guy win it helps establish that person. The TPI tournaments have always been about putting the younger and upcoming talent over, and it's a formula that's worked for years. When AJ Styles won it, nobody liked it as it took away from that. It wasn't special. Same with the Super 8.

I disagree -- I like that Styles won TPI, and that Daniels again won the Super 8. In kayfabe terms, tourneys like these are much more meaningful if you're consistent about demonstrating the hierarchies of the workers. I'm not saying a big name should win it every year -- hell, if they'd stuck with Bosh afterwards, he would've been the right call last year. I'm just saying that if Scorp wins this year (as I'm expecting he will), and, say, Koslov wins in '07, fans in the South, Northeast, whatever, will be very slightly less interested in BOLA as an ongoing phenomenon.

Right now, it's in position to be the premier singles tournament on the independent scene -- bigger than the Super 8, bigger than TPI. Having some big names up top would really help cement that reputation.
onlxn

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:37 pm

No disrespect to Sky but if anyone local is gonna win BOLA i'm going with Davey Richards to be the guy. I know he's gonna be working back East and that but still he's yet to get that one big win in PWG and that could be his shot. Plus, I think it could be the perfect way to start a feud with Dragon and him if PWG wants to.
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby WannaB » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 pm

WrestlingFanMatt wrote:No disrespect to Sky but if anyone local is gonna win BOLA i'm going with Davey Richards to be the guy. I know he's gonna be working back East and that but still he's yet to get that one big win in PWG and that could be his shot. Plus, I think it could be the perfect way to start a feud with Dragon and him if PWG wants to.

*bitchslaps Matt*

Davey isn't "local" Matt. He lives on a farm a couple hours from the airport.

I think a better way to utilize a BOLA win for Davey in the inevitable Dragon/Davey feud would be to have them split before BOLA. Then possibly have them face each other in BOLA or perhaps if Davey were to win he would go on to face Dragon in a title situation if the belt were to be put back on him.

Just throwing out ideas for what seems most dramatic. But alas... somewhat cliche' and formatted.

I think Taro should come out of retirement and win the whole damn thing.
WannaB

Postby The Masked Akeem » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:06 am

WrestlingFanMatt wrote:
"No disrespect to Sky but if anyone local is gonna win BOLA i'm going with Davey Richards to be the guy. I know he's gonna be working back East and that but still he's yet to get that one big win in PWG and that could be his shot. Plus, I think it could be the perfect way to start a feud with Dragon and him if PWG wants to."

The one thing about the Super Dragon & Davey Richards team is that everyone and their maternal grandfather expects a breakup and feud at some point. And in my eyes, that's exactly the reason it should never ever happen.

It's so obviously predictable, and frankly unnecessary at this time. Super Dragon, storywise, has seemingly never been able to keep a "friend" for very long at all. Davey Richards may be the first and only partner/friend who hasn't turned on him in who knows how long.

It's a common pro wrestling angle that tag partners have to feud against each other eventually. But very often, those splits and subsequent feuds, don't draw very well. Think of all the classic tag teams from the past, and then think about how successful those feuds truly were, and if they helped elevate either person in that feud.
The Masked Akeem

Postby WannaB » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:14 pm

The Masked Akeem wrote:WrestlingFanMatt wrote:
"No disrespect to Sky but if anyone local is gonna win BOLA i'm going with Davey Richards to be the guy. I know he's gonna be working back East and that but still he's yet to get that one big win in PWG and that could be his shot. Plus, I think it could be the perfect way to start a feud with Dragon and him if PWG wants to."

The one thing about the Super Dragon & Davey Richards team is that everyone and their maternal grandfather expects a breakup and feud at some point. And in my eyes, that's exactly the reason it should never ever happen.

It's so obviously predictable, and frankly unnecessary at this time. Super Dragon, storywise, has seemingly never been able to keep a "friend" for very long at all. Davey Richards may be the first and only partner/friend who hasn't turned on him in who knows how long.

It's a common pro wrestling angle that tag partners have to feud against each other eventually. But very often, those splits and subsequent feuds, don't draw very well. Think of all the classic tag teams from the past, and then think about how successful those feuds truly were, and if they helped elevate either person in that feud.

In a lot of situations two individuals are much more exciting as a team than as singles competitors. Sometimes it's the opposite. But on a few rare occassions they are equally strong in both areas.

I think that both Dragon & Davey while great in both singles & tagging together, would deliver an incredible feud.

Even if they weren't a team, it's a match that everyone would want to see. Everyone wants to see this feud irregardless. Everyone has seen what they are capable of, and even with low expectations a match between the two of them would still be vastly entertaining.

Would an AXP feud have been a good idea? Probably not. What about a Los Luchas? No. But Davey & Dragon; they have a lot of emotion, a story, and they're both animals in the ring. A split/grudge angle would only further the emotion felt by the fans as the storyline would draw us in. The AXP/Arrogance masks vs. titles match last year was voted match of the year for SoCal. Had there not been a history, had there not been some involving sense of emotion & empathy for the wrestlers I doubt that it would have been as good as it had turned out.

Davey & Dragon has all the elements of a great feud, and to do so despite it's somewhat cliche' nature as far as storylines go would only be a successful course of action.
WannaB

Postby Ryan! » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:59 pm

WannaB wrote:I think Taro should come out of retirement and win the whole damn thing.

Who is Taro? I only know TARO. CAPITAL T! CAPITAL A! CAPITAL R! CAPITAL O! Big letters for a big man JACK!

As for BOLA So Cal Andy already pointed out that they did have a 32 man tournament back in 2004 and it was a success. Im just assuming here but I would say that the company is at this point a little bit more finacially secure given dvd sales and larger crowds. A 32 man BOLA is possible. Im sure PWG has something huge planned for all of us.
Ryan!

Postby SoCalAndy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:50 pm

Last summer, Bosh was possibly the most over wrestler in PWG. Every show, he'd get nuclear, sustained heat. Now he gets occasional chants, but in general he has much less heat. I'd say there are at least a dozen workers who get better and more consistent heat than he does. You may not call that "looking horrible", but I do.

Umm, what shows are you watching? Bosh is getting more than just "occasional" chants and still has heat. A lot of his matches lately(Elimination 4 Way, Cape Fear tags) have given him plenty of heat, and he got the biggest pop during the Triple Threat at ASW 3. Plus he still sells a lot of DVDs from what I'm told. He's just as over as he was last year, but he's now over because he's showcasing his wrestling more and isn't having to rely on racist promos and fucking with retards to get pops. He hardly looks horrible.

True. But first of all, let's be clear about his PWG singles record. He went 4-0 at the Battle of Los Angeles. That's ONE MORE SINGLES WIN THAN HE'S GOTTEN IN THE REST OF HIS PWG SINGLES CAREER. And since BOLA, he's gone 2-10, and failed to capture the PWG Title on six different occasions. Christ, he's even eaten all the pins for Arrogance since they got back together.

Chris Bosh's loses almost all came from being cheated or screwed over, and Arrogance have only been in three tag matches since BOLA. I haven't seen the Euro shows, so I can't comment on his loses their but he was pinned in one tag match in the US and that came from a Turnbuckle Brainbuster. I think having to put away a wrestler with a move that could legit hurt someone hardly makes Bosh look weak. His singles record might not be impressive, but you have to go beyond just reading results and have to see how those loses came about. The outcome of the Three Way can be disputed, because nobody knows what was really going to happen. Plus his singles record before BOLA wasn't anything to sing about, and seeing as PWG used BOLA to help elevate Bosh it still seems like a smart move in my mind. His record might not be impressive post-BOLA, but a lot of great sports teams go through slumps.

His failing to capture the PWG title is another issue. Lets review, shall we?

vs. Steen on 10/1-By way of DQ
vs. Steen vs. AJ on 10/14-Took on two people at once, took a brainbuster on the ring apron, and was pin by a school boy that came out of nowhere
vs. Steen on 11/19-Lost after taking a 2nd Rope Package Piledriver
vs. Joey on 1/21-Beat Joey by countout when Joey felt he was going to lose the belt because despite everything Joey was doing to Bosh to put him away
vs. Joey vs. Steen vs. AJ on 2/4-Lost after taking a chairshot from Steen and pinned by Joey while he was out
vs. Joey vs. Dragon on 4/8-Accidental KO from Dragon, no telling what could of happend

Looking at the past and reading this over, I still don't buy the "Bosh has been made to look like shit" statements.

Sure -- he loses to dirty tactics a lot. All PWG faces do. But the top-card, pushed faces win *despite* dirty tactics. Bosh never does.

A lot of the people who face Joey Ryan never win, so I don't buy that statement either seeing as the majority of cheap tactics in PWG stem from Joey's matches.

There's absolutely no way that Bosh looks like more of a threat to Joey than any other of Joey's challengers. Seriously. *Every* challenger has had Joey beaten, only to lose to some chicanery. If you look at how each challenger has been booked, probably the only guy that's been presented as *less* of a threat to Joey's title is the Tornado.

Watch the Bosh match on DVD from 1/21. The entire time, Joey is doing more to try and put Bosh away until he realizes Bosh will keep coming back. Joey threw Bosh off the top rope to the floor while Bosh tried to go for a superplex, and he powerbombed him on the ring apron to soften up his already injured back some more. It's pretty obvious to tell that Joey is afraid of Bosh a lot more, and the entire underdog concept seems obviously being built up with Bosh's current record.

I don't think they're going anywhere with it anymore, and if they are, it's a big mistake. This isn't "face who has to struggle to get the belt"; this is "face who simply can't get the job done", and it's reflected in his loss of heat. Shit, Bosh isn't even the most-pushed singles worker on his own team at this point.

I already pointed out how it's more of the former rather than the latter in my earlier points, and how he still has heat. Bosh's drop in the card can be explained in many ways, and PWG always does some sort of twist in their angles that are usually played out when they last a long time. Don't just claim PWG is making a big mistake right now, because it's hard to tell what's really happening in the direction of the company.

They may have their reasons, but be honest: PWG has decided to remove Bosh from the uppercard. There's no long-term story planning that could justify robbing Bosh of all his momentum and all of his heat.

Bosh has been placed in some higher card matches, and was only in one lowercard match that was pretty important in a storyline sense. He is also being placed in a match that is getting the most hype next to Danielson/Steen for the next show. And I still stand by my statements of Bosh not having lost his heat. Don't be to quick to hop on the "Bosh has been de-pushed" bandwagon.

I disagree -- I like that Styles won TPI, and that Daniels again won the Super 8.

You might of liked it, but the core fanbase of the IWA-MS were really upset and when Daniels won the Super 8 again it started to seem less appealing to fans everywhere.

In kayfabe terms, tourneys like these are much more meaningful if you're consistent about demonstrating the hierarchies of the workers. I'm not saying a big name should win it every year -- hell, if they'd stuck with Bosh afterwards, he would've been the right call last year. I'm just saying that if Scorp wins this year (as I'm expecting he will), and, say, Koslov wins in '07, fans in the South, Northeast, whatever, will be very slightly less interested in BOLA as an ongoing phenomenon.

The fanbase PWG is currently marketing their product too isn't the type who buy shows based on who wins a tournament, they want to see good matches. In the kayfabe sense, having a bigger name win the whole thing might seem like a good idea, but it would be better to establish someone else before blowing loads over guys like Styles or Daniels. All PWG needs to do is to book good matches that people will pay to see and have their local talent put on outstanding matches and BOLA will be seen on the same level as the TPI's, BOTB's, and Super 8's. Hell, BOLA only happend once and has been seen as something major in the eyes of several people.

Also, look at the track record of CZW's BOTB tournament, and look at all that's gone down in it. No big names(unless you count The Winger) won the tournament and yet it's still one of the most anticipated shows of the year. TPI was also seen in the same light when it was the Sweet Science 16. The biggest name on the list of winners before AJ won it was Chris Hero, and Hero wasn't an international star when he won it and it was still considered special.

Right now, it's in position to be the premier singles tournament on the independent scene -- bigger than the Super 8, bigger than TPI. Having some big names up top would really help cement that reputation.

Another thing, the Super 8 and TPI have been around for years, BOLA is still a baby. Having big names win it isn't just going to shoot it to the top. There are several tournaments that have had guys like AJ win the whole thing but still aren't on the level of TPI and Super 8, so you can't justify your reasonings with that argument.
SoCalAndy

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum