PWG's "(Please Don't Call It) The O.C." on May 6!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby PWG_Silverback » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:54 pm

By Silverback, PWG Staff Writer

Happy Camp, CA - After a little more than a year, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla ( http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com) will be returning to Orange County, California, home of Disneyland, Gwen Stefani, and oranges. While some might say it's been too long since PWG left The Sweatbox in Hollywood, Commissioner Dino Winwood is keen to remind residents of Los Angeles' "other" county that PWG has not forgotten you. In fact, Dino feels so sorry about the lengthy absence that he declared the next show will be titled "(Please Don't Call It) The O.C." in order to emphasize that Orange County is a wonderful place, and so much more than a hit television drama. From its abundant coast line, to it's rich and fertile orange groves and plentiful wildfires, PWG is proud to call Orange County our (second) home. Some of our more astute fans may notice that the site of the next show, La Habra Heights, isn't actually in Orange County, but falls right on the county line, and is a part Los Angeles County. Fear not, you Too-Smart-For-Your-Own-Goodniks! Commissioner Winwood has brought a bill forth to Congressional Representative Gary Miller (R-California) in the hopes of getting the county lines redrawn prior to the May 6, 2006 event. Let's hope the government realizes the importance of this bill and enacts it post-haste!

Before going into the details of PWG's next event, we would like to wish Davey Richards a safe and speedy recovery. Richards, one half of the PWG World Tag Team Champions, suffered a knee injury (torn meniscus) last week, and will be out of action until June. He should receive his official PWG Get Well Soon gift basket (complete with over sized Teddy Bear) shortly.

Because of Davey's injury Jay & Mark Briscoe, The Briscoe Brothers, are without opponents on May 6, so their return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla has been postponed until May 20, when we will be back at The Sweatbox in Hollywood.

Now, down to business. After PWG's "Crazymania: All Star Weekend 3" Joey Ryan was still PWG World Champion, and B-Boy was the newly determined undisputed Number One Contender for that title. B-Boy would like it pointed out that since returning in November, he has worked his way up the ladder, defeating El Generico, Chris Sabin, Scorpio Sky, Frankie Kazarian, Kevin Steen and Excalibur, and this is actually the second time he has been declared the Number One Contender. Joey Ryan would like it pointed out that he is the highest drawing champion in PWG history, and Necro Butcher does not have any sort of rematch clause. While a rematch with Necro Butcher wasn't in mind, that doesn't mean Dino has lost the GPS coordinates to a certain cave on the Western side of the the Appalachian Mountains. You know, for the future. At any rate, B-Boy looks to capture the gold when he battles PWG World Champion Joey Ryan for the title on May 6!

Another man trying to climb his way back up the ladder is former PWG World Champion "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen. Steen also took part in the Number One Contender Tournament at ASW3, but unfortunately for him, was on the losing side of things. However, fortunately for him, Dino Winwood was so impressed by his performance that he is giving "Mr. Wrestling" a chance to boost his stock in PWG, a chance to work his way, tooth and nail, back up that ladder. Commissioner Winwood is giving Kevin Steen a chance he's never had in his career. Kevin Steen has a chance to defeat "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson in singles competition. That might not be the type of chance Kevin Steen was hoping for, but it's still an opportunity. Does "Mr. Wrestling" have what it takes to defeat a man who calls himself "the best wrestler in the world?" Does it offend Kevin Steen that some fans would consider Bryan Danielson the true "Mr. Wrestling?" Some of these questions will be answered on May 6, when for the first time ever Bryan Danielson faces Kevin Steen!

"(Please Don't Call It) The O.C." will also be the first time "Classic" Colt Cabana and Human Tornado meet inside the squared circle, and its tough to say who is looking forward to the encounter more. Since making his return to PWG, Colt Cabana has faced two of Southern California's hottest prospects, Scorpio Sky and Alex Koslov, and come out on top both times. Human Tornado's meteoric rise in the world of professional wrestling seemed unstoppable until he was recently sidelined by a leg injury. Colt Cabana is looking to challenge the best and brightest SoCal has to offer, but will Tornado be fully recovered and ready for the challenge? Or will Human Tornado want to prove he hasn't lost a step, and take the fight directly to Cabana? Will this be a contest of light hearted jocularity, or a hard hitting battle? Will the rhetorical questions ever end?!

Davey Richards' knee injury was covered earlier, but where does that leave his co-holder of the PWG World Tag Team championship, Super Dragon? When reached for comment, Super Dragon Office stated that Dragon refuses to pick a new partner for May 6, and he would defend the tag titles alone if need be. However, Commissioner Winwood, well known for his by-the-book-approach to professional wrestling, stated that it would not be necessary for Dragon to defend the titles until Davey Richards returned, and that he would place Super Dragon in a match of his choosing! So the unlikely trio of Super Dragon, Alex Koslov, and Ronin will face the even more unlikely team of Disco Machine, Nemesis, and Bino Gambino!

"(Please Don't Call It) The O.C.", taking place on Saturday, May 6 at 7:00PM at The Gym At The Park in La Habra Heights, CA, will also feature:

First Ever Singles Encounter
Austin Aries vs. Chris Sabin

8-Man Tag Team Melee
Arrogance (Scott Lost & Chris Bosh) & The Kings of Wrestling (Claudio Castagnoli & Chris Hero) vs. Cape Fear (El Generico & Quicksilver) & Los Luchas (Phoenix Star & Zokre)

TJ Perkins vs. Rocky Romero

Plus Frankie Kazarian, Scorpio Sky, Dino Winwood, and more!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's "(Please Don't Call It) The O.C." takes place at the The Gym At The Park on Saturday, May 6, 2006 at 7:00PM. The Gym At The Park is located at 1885 Hacienda Rd., La Habra Heights, CA 90631. Tickets are $20 and will be available at the door. For more information, please visit http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com or email info@prowrestlingguerrilla.com.
Last edited by PWG_Silverback on Tue May 09, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby WannaB » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 pm

Sweet deal.

I agree. Don't call it the O.C. Orange County is nothing like all those crappy shows make it out to be.
WannaB

Postby El Asian » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:50 pm

WannaB wrote:Sweet deal.

I agree. Don't call it the O.C. Orange County is nothing like all those crappy shows make it out to be.

I hope you just mean the OC and not other shows shows set in the OC like Scrubs or Arrested Development, which actually where this event got its name from
El Asian

Postby Fanitude23 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:06 pm

He's probably talking about the O.C. and Laguna Beach, those kind of crappy shows.
Fanitude23

Re: PWG's "(Please Don't Call It) The O.C." on May

Postby Evilguest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:48 pm

PWG_Silverback wrote:PWG's "(Please Don't Call It) The O.C." on May 6!
By Silverback, PWG Staff Writer

Before going into the details of PWG's next event, we would like to wish Davey Richards a safe and speedy recovery. Richards, one half of the PWG World Tag Team Champions, suffered a knee injury (torn meniscus) last week, and will be out of action until June. He should receive his official PWG Get Well Soon gift basket (complete with over sized Teddy Bear) shortly.

I think PWG should go to Build a Bear and make a special get well bear that says something sweet. I'd do it for ya.
Evilguest

Postby Paul Burns » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Looks like a fantastic card. Sabin/Aries, Cabana/Tornado, Perkins/Romero and Steen/Danielson will all be great matches!
Paul Burns

Postby WannaB » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:19 pm

Fanitude23 wrote:He's probably talking about the O.C. and Laguna Beach, those kind of crappy shows.

Yes, those ones exactly. Also crap like Real Housewives of the O.C. or whatever that piece of crap is. Everyone thinks Orange County is filled with spoiled, rich, morons which it is.

*cough*Irvine*cough*Nazi-ville*cough*

But that's far from a marginal amount of the population.

I think they need to do a Pro Wrestlers of Orange County reality show. Center it around SuperDragon, cause we all know how talkative he is. He'd always have something great to say on camera. :wink:

I'm still kinda bummed that we're not gonna see the Briscoes for a 2nd show in a row. AJ/Daniels all over again.
WannaB

Postby Ocire » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:27 pm

Great info here. I'm really looking forward to the show! I just hope I can go.
Ocire

Postby It's A Bomb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 pm

This looks like a really good show. Davey being out sucks, but it's going to be great to see Dragon work with younger talent. Although I can't stand Bino Gambino. His gimmick makes no sense, he's just some guy who acts weird and has some obsession with beanies. Although seeing Dragon pound his face in is a major plus. The eight man tag looks amazing, and that should steal the entire show. Plus we get to see Hero and Claudio do lucha with Los Luchas!
It's A Bomb

Postby dxreydx » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:26 pm

No Briscoes? American Dragon makes it all better though.
dxreydx

Postby JayJay » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:37 pm

Something tells me Dragon's going to kick 5 asses that night.
JayJay

Postby ROshamBO » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:15 am

JayJay wrote:Something tells me Dragon's going to kick 5 asses that night.

thinking the same thing
ROshamBO

Postby Dangerous Robot » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:18 pm

Too bad I already bought tickets to see The Bangles at the JCC that night.
Dangerous Robot

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:39 pm

This should be an awesome show even thought Davey is out with his knee and Briscoe's won't be in PWG until the 20th. Glad to see American Dragon back in PWG and Aries making his return should be awesome. I'm looking forward to the 8 man, Danielson/Steen, and Aries/Sabin could be MOTN.
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby onlxn » Tue May 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Gonna be a rad one -- can't wait for Saturday.

Anybody have any predictions as far as results go? I have a feeling B-Boy's gonna take the title, and for some reason I feel like Arrogance and the Kings may lose due to miscommunication, leading to match between them down the line...

Also, I predict that Bino Gambino ain't gonna feel too good Sunday morning.
onlxn

Postby CheMateo » Tue May 02, 2006 4:48 pm

Yeah, looks like its going to be a rad show. Although I'm not too excited about the Steen vs. Danielson match, it'll be good but I just picture Danielson going over since he is ROH champion. Sabin vs Aries should be fun. But I'm probably looking forward to the Six Man tag and the huge Eight man tag. Having Super Dragon in the six tag will bring out the best in the other participants not to mention it'll be fun seeing Dragon beat the shit out of Gambino. Nothing else to say about the Eight man tag except of course it should be the show stealer.
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Tue May 02, 2006 4:50 pm

Yeah it would be nice to see somebody else be the World Champion, though I'm not crazy about B-Boy I would like to see him take the title off Joey Ryan. But I'm not getting my hopes up since, Joey has a great track record in narrowly escaping with the title. I've been disappointed too many times already.
CheMateo

Postby PWG_Silverback » Fri May 05, 2006 3:47 pm

A quick notice to any fans who are planning on attending PWG's "(Please Don't Call It) The O.C." tomorrow evening that the starting time of the event has been pushed back one hour to 8:00PM. This is due to the NBA Playoffs, and the fact that a few wrestlers in our lockerroom has money on the Lakers (and one guy has money on the Suns.) Granted, we usually start late, but that is a matter of of company policy, so this way it looks more official if the show doesn't start till 11PM.

Another note for fans attending the show, we will have 3 new DVDs in stock (European Vacation Germany & England, and Card Subject to Change 2/Permanent Vacation,) as well as one DVD restocked (Tango & Cash Invitational.) So be sure to break open your piggy bank before coming down, because our bookie won't take surplus DVDs in exchange for outstanding debts!
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri May 05, 2006 4:03 pm

and one guy has money on the Suns

Does his name rhyme with Frisco Rasheem?
SoCalAndy

Postby bford24 » Sat May 06, 2006 12:15 am

Man it sucks that I have to miss this show. I was looking forward to seeing where this other place is, not to mention finally seeing Aries in action. I can't wait to see the results and the lineup for the next show in 2 weeks.
bford24

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum