Super Dragon Question

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Super Dragon Question

Postby The Franchise13 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 am

Now.. I'm a late PWG bloomer. I started attending PWG shows since June 2009 and have yet to miss a show. I've enjoyed PWG since 2009 and Im very curious about its history... especially with Super Dragon. I've never seen Super Dragon live, but by reading on this forum, it appears that he was huge back in the days. Why did he stop wrestling? Injury? And im curous, what would you guys say are his best 10 PWG matches he ever had? I would like to get some new dvds and see how good he is.

Thanks
The Franchise13

Re: Super Dragon Question

Postby Lord Akiyama » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:37 am

In 2006, the injuries started to mount. The beginning of the end was during BoLA against Necro Butcher in the first round. They started by literally through fists at one another and Dragon suffered a concussion from it. They continued on to have an awesome match, but Dragon was completely out of it. He would still have some good matches afterward, but it was getting apparent his career was winding down. The tragic finale came at the 2008 DDT4 with him and Davey against Steen and Generico. He got concussed at the end so badly that Steen couldn't lift him up for the Package Piledriver.

As for DVDs, see if you can't find any copies of the Evolution sets. If not, I think Jubs and some of the others can recommend some grand choices that includes matches outside of PWG. Me personally, I recommend his Guerrilla Warfare matches with Joey Ryan and Kevin Steen as well as aforementioned Necro match, the aforementioned tag against Steen/Generico as well as him and Davey against Generico/Quicksilver from the first European Vacation tour and against Jack Evans/Roderick Strong from Hollywood Globetrotters.
Lord Akiyama

Postby talley_1986 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 pm

I'd pass on the Guerrilla Warfare with Joey Ryan. It was good at first, but then it just kept going on and on. Ironically, their 60 Minute Iron Man Match from Use Your Illusion didn't feel as if it dragged on.

The Steen/Dragon Guerrilla Warfare match at Astonishing X-Mas is my favorite PWG match ever, but they also had another great match at Ernest P. Worrel Memorial.

You can't talk about Super Dragon without bringing up his matches with Samoa Joe. The Secret of the Ooze is pretty good, but All Nude Revue is even better. I can't say I really enjoyed their Smells like Steen Spirit match though.

Everyone talks about his tag matches with Davey Richards, but I actually prefer Dragon with B-Boy. I thought their match against Kings of Wrestling at Horror Business was one of the best tag matches in PWG history. They also had some good matches with Arrogance (Use Your Illusion III), Strong/Richards (ASW 4 Night 1) and Cape Fear (Passive Hostility).

I don't know if I'd call it a top five, but I just saw his Guerrilla Warfare match against Excalibur from Jason Takes PWG last night and I thought it was tons of fun. There's not a lot of selling, but there's plenty of train wreck spots and an even better angle surrounding it.
talley_1986

Postby Whoblehwah » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Super Dragon vs. Quicksilve from Zombies Shouldn't Run = Classic.
Whoblehwah

Postby Hayabusa420 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 pm

I actually think some of Super Dragon's best matches were in other companies like CZW, IWA-MS and of course Revolution Pro.Like Lord Akiyama said if you can find any of the 4 evolution dvd's they all have great matches on them and also PWG Sell's out volume 1 and 2 have some good matches that can introduce you to Super Dragon.Here are some I would recommend

Super Dragon vs Kevin Steen-All their matches are good but their Guerrilla Warfare is just a classic imo
Super Dragon /Excalibur vs Kevin Steen/El Generico- CZW (One of my favorite tag matches ever)
Super Dragon vs Joey Ryan-PWG 60 minute Iron Man match
Super Dragon/Davey Richards vs Roderick Strong/Jack Evans-PWG Hollywood Globetrotters
Super Dragon vs B-Boy-CZW Best of The Best 2002(or pretty much any of their matches like Steen)
CZW Best of the Best 2005(3 great Dragon matches on here he even won the Fans Choice award)
Super Dragon vs Taro-Revolution Pro Mask vs Mask(I'm pretty sure this is streaming on some sites)
Super Dragon vs Samoa Joe-PWG All Nude Revue
Super Dragon vs CM Punk= PWG Reason for The Season
Super Dragon vs Ruckus-CZW World Title Match

I could list many more because I'm a huge Super Dragon mark and he's the reason I even started watching PWG in the first place and became such a big fan but I'll let some other people suggest matches
Hayabusa420

Postby Hayabusa420 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Oh yeah and here I think this video I made will show you how good Dragon was, its a career retrospective tribute using footage from all 4 Super Dragon Evolutions as well as a bunch of other footage i personally own from buying random indy dvds over the past several years being a huge Super Dragon mark haha. Also thanks to Tigerdriver 98 again for some of the footage I used in this

Hayabusa420

Postby KickToKill » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Super Dragon's the reason I got into PWG, Especially when he was teaming with Excalibur. I am fortunate to have seen him wrestle live (CZW, JAPW, ROH). Speaking of which check out SD vs. Beef Wellington at the JAPW 7th anniversary show, Awesome match. They really need to reissue those SD Evolution sets, I have 3 & 4 but would like the first 2 as well . Never grabbed the SD shirt either when I had the chance, Been regretting that for years.
KickToKill

Postby bat4life » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 am

Im in the same boat, I started watching PWG since WR4 in 2010 and havent missed a show since. So whats he doing now? is he working for the company backstage? has anyone seen him during the shows?
bat4life

Postby Meltman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Super Dragon is head booker. Has been for years.
Meltman

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:16 pm

bat4life wrote:Im in the same boat, I started watching PWG since WR4 in 2010 and havent missed a show since. So whats he doing now? is he working for the company backstage? has anyone seen him during the shows?

Yeah he's always there.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby bat4life » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:39 am

Is he the guy who has the list of names when we get in the door and gives us our tickets?
bat4life

Postby b2u » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:39 pm

bat4life wrote:Is he the guy who has the list of names when we get in the door and gives us our tickets?

Don't ask, don't tell. That's the the code of a masked luchadore.
b2u

Postby camstun187 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm

no one ever mentions it, but him and BBOY vs Cape Feare from Passive Hostility was just an amazing, amazing tag team match and moment for PWG and the winner of the match. It was big time, seriously.
camstun187

Postby Meltman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 pm

KickToKill wrote:Speaking of which check out SD vs. Beef Wellington at the JAPW 7th anniversary show, Awesome match.

I remember their match in IWS in Canada years ago. I always did hope PWG brought in Beef like they did Steen/Generico.
Meltman

Postby Souf Centrol » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:51 pm

bat4life wrote:Is he the guy who has the list of names when we get in the door and gives us our tickets?

You asked that like someone was going to really tell you who he was....or even knew them damn selves lol
Souf Centrol

Postby Meltman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:03 pm

I heard SD works under the name "Jon Ian" nowadays.
Meltman

Postby KickToKill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:38 am

If Dragon has retired he should have at least had a proper farewell....like one last fuck off to the crowd
KickToKill

Postby Meltman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 am

KickToKill wrote:If Dragon has retired he should have at least had a proper farewell....like one last fuck off to the crowd

They certainly tried. The SD/Joey brawl I'm sure would've led to a proper match, but it's the last bit us fans ever got from him.

But it seems like anytime SD was gonna go out with a big match something went wrong (concussions, etc.). It's sad, my favorite wrestling character ever.
Meltman

Postby Madvillian » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
(2003-present)
Super Dragon,(as part of Team SuperDragon) hails from Portland Oregon,was trained by Billy Jack Haynes and Brian "Crush"Adams.
In May 2003 Super Dragon along with Disco Machine, Excalibur, Joey Ryan, Scott Lost and Top Gun Talwar, collectively known as the "PWG Six", founded Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, SoCal's largest wrestling promotion. At PWG's debut show on July 26, 2003, he defeated M-Dogg 20. The next two PWG shows featured the Badass Mother 3000 tournament to determine the first PWG Champion. Super Dragon got to the semifinals, but was then eliminated by Joey Ryan.
In PWG Super Dragon re-formed the faction known in Revolution Pro as Team Chismo with Excalibur and Disco Machine, under the new name S.B.S. At PWG...The Musical, held on April 17, 2004, Dragon and Excalibur won the PWG tag team titles from Chris Bosh and Quicksilver. They became the first team to successfully defend the titles, but later lost them to the X Foundation of Joey Ryan and Scott Lost. On November 13, 2004, at Free Admission (Just Kidding), Super Dragon beat Frankie Kazarian to win the PWG Championship. He defended the title against Homicide, Samoa Joe, Kevin Steen and others, before finally losing it to A.J. Styles on April 2, 2005, at All Star Weekend - Night Two.

On December 18, 2004, at Uncanny X-Mas after Dragon's match with Jonny Storm, a second Super Dragon came to the ring and attacked the real Super Dragon by delivering him some of his signature moves. This man attacked again on February 12, 2005, at All Nude Review, and on May 13, 2005, at Jason Takes PWG Excalibur turned on Dragon, revealed himself as the mastermind of the attacks and then defeated him in a Guerrilla Warfare match with help from Kevin Steen, who revealed himself as the second Super Dragon. This began a feud between Steen and Dragon. On June 11, 2005, at Guitarmageddon Super Dragon teamed up with his S.B.S. partner Disco Machine to take on the team of Kevin Steen and Excalibur. However, in the end Disco Machine also turned on Dragon and aligned himself with Steen and Excalibur as the new S.B.S.[28] During his feud with the S.B.S. on October 1, 2005, Super Dragon was forced to team with Davey Richards to challenge for the tag team titles against El Generico and Human Tornado, known as the "2 Skinny Black Guys", at After School Special. Working well together as a team, Dragon and Richards managed to win the title. On December 3, 2005, at Chanukah Chaos (The C's Are Silent), after Dragon had gotten a small measure of revenge on Excalibur and Disco Machine by defeating them in a tag team title match, he attacked the PWG Champion Kevin Steen during his title match with Joey Ryan and gave him two Psycho Drivers, causing him to lose the title. The feud ended on December 16, 2005, at Astonishing X-Mas in a Guerrilla Warfare match, in which Super Dragon came out victorious.
Super Dragon and Davey Richards continued their tag title reign defeating teams such as Cape Fear (El Generico and Quicksilver), Los Luchas (Zokre and Phoenix Star), Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli), Roderick Strong and Jack Evans, and A.J. Styles and Christopher Daniels. During their reign, Dragon and Richards also turned the titles into World Tag Team Titles, by defending them in Germany and England. On May 20, 2006, however, Arrogance, the team of Scott Lost and Chris Bosh, defeated them for the titles at Enchantment Under The Sea.
Super Dragon returned to PWG on September 2 as a participant in the 2006 Battle of Los Angeles tournament. On the second night, he defeated Necro Butcher, and on the third, he defeated Frankie Kazarian and Jack Evans to advance to the finals, but was unable to compete due to injuries he sustained the previous night. Davey Richards would go on to win the tournament, but instead of wanting a World title shot, he wanted a rematch for the tag titles. The match was set to take place on October 6 at Self-Titled, but a conflict prevented Richards from being at the show. Instead of waiting for Richards to return, Super Dragon chose B-Boy as his partner and they went on to defeat Chris Bosh and Scott Lost for the championship. On November 17, 2006, Richards won the PWG World Tag Team Championship for a second time, teaming up with Roderick Strong to defeat the champions, B-Boy and Super Dragon. The next night, in the main event of the show, the duo lost the belts back to the men they'd won them from in a 4-way match which also included the Kings of Wrestling, as well as the team of Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin. Dragon won the match for his team by pinning Richards after a Psycho Driver.Less than a month later on December 2, 2006, at Passive Hostility Dragon and B-Boy lost the tag team titles to Cape Fear, and split afterwards as a tag team.
Since then, Dragon suffered defeats at the hands of newcomer Ronin in a singles match, and a pinfall by Los Luchas in a tag team match. Soon after that Dragon broke his ankle and eventually made his return on April 8, 2007, at All Star Weekend V - Night Two during a match between Arrogance and Roderick Strong and Jack Evans when he and Davey Richards came out and attacked everyone and announced that Super Dragon would be Richards' partner for the upcoming Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament. On May 20, 2007, however, the first night of the tournament, the reuniting Super Dragon and Davey Richards lost in the first round to the makeshift team of Roderick Strong and PAC, who would go on the win the whole tournament.

On October 27, 2007, Night 2 of PWG's European Vacation II Dragon and Davey Richards were able to defeat Kevin Steen and El Generico for the PWG World Tag Team Championships giving Richards his third and Dragon his fifth reign, with this being their second reign as a team. On the first weekend of January 2008 PWG held its sixth All Star Weekend, during which Dragon was scheduled to take on Susumu Yokosuka on the first night and TARO on the second night in a special "Return Grudge Match". Dragon, who had gained massive amounts of weight, took himself out of the Yokosuka match and replaced himself with CIMA and the next night defeated TARO in a lackluster match. On January 27, 2008, at Pearl Habra Dragon and Richards were stripped of their tag team titles after Richards no-showed the event.
After taking two months off Super Dragon returned to PWG on March 21, 2008, at 1.21 Gigawatts by attacking Jade Chung and giving her a Psycho Driver during a tag team match between the Dynasty (Joey Ryan and Scott Lost) and Kevin Steen and El Generico. On April 5, 2008, at It's a Gift...and a Curse Super Dragon continued his feud with the Dynasty by first attacking Scott Lost after his match with Claudio Castagnoli and then by brawling with Joey Ryan all over the building culminating in him giving Ryan a Psycho Driver off the stage through a table.
On May 17, 2008, Dragon and Richards teamed up once more for 2008's DDT4 tournament, where they were defeated by the team of Kevin Steen and El Generico in the first round in a tag team title match.

Ring of Honor (2004, 2006)
The first time Super Dragon appeared in Ring of Honor (ROH) was at Do or Die II on March 13, 2004, when he defeated Excalibur in a try-out match. He would reappear two years later in 2006 as a part of CZW, during the ROH/CZW feud. Dragon made his return to the company on March 11, 2006, at Arena Warfare by attacking B.J. Whitmer during his match with Necro Butcher. The show ended with the CZW wrestlers taking over the ring and attacking Whitmer and other ROH wrestlers. On April 22, 2006, at The 100th Show, Dragon was a part of Team CZW along with Chris Hero and Necro Butcher as they defeated Team ROH of Samoa Joe, Whitmer, and Adam Pearce, when Claudio Castagnoli turned on his ROH team mates.This match saw Dragon hit a Psycho Driver on Whitmer from the apron to the floor through a table. On April 29, 2006, at Weekend of Champions: Night Two Whitmer gained revenge on Dragon and defeated him after giving him an exploder superplex through a table on the floor, to win their feud. After the match Adam Pearce and Ace Steel carried Dragon out of the arena and he hasn't returned to the company since.

Taken from , karmaswrestlingretro.com
Madvillian

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum