2nd singles title..

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

2nd singles title..

Postby The Franchise13 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Should PWG make another singles title? A title like the xdivision title or the united states title. Something secondary that could have mid carders fight for. Its a shame that you wont see people like Ricochet, Goodtime, Romero, or any of the Taylor Boys winning the PWG World Title soon. This will give them something to fight about. Besides with all the world championships matches we had this year (cough cough)... if the world champ is unable to compete, the new belt could be the main event. Your thoughts.
The Franchise13

Re: 2nd singles title..

Postby El Asian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:01 pm

its a good idea in theory but I honestly don't see PWG having a 2nd title quite yet
El Asian

Postby krayzie Bone » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:17 pm

PWG needs to run more shows for the second single title to be even remotely a possibility. But yes it is a good idea to have a second single title, they should name it PWG SoCal title. Due to recent world title defense problems, with wrestlers literally winning the belt and not coming back to defend it, the entire PWG championship scene took a tremendous blow, I really hate to say it, but when this happens, it makes PWG world title look unimportant, which ultimately makes the entire promotion look bad. The same thing is happening with world tag team titles, the match for tomorrow night should have been for the world tag team championship, and if London and Generico successfully defended against KOW, it would make PWG tag team titles look 10 times more important then what they are now.

I don't like ROH that much but I gotta give them credit for creating a very strong image of their world title, ROH world title is a very prestigious belt and its not because the matches are good or the wrestling is superior, its because the way it tells the story. So when ROH made their title to be very important, then they went ahead and created other secondary belts such as Pure Wrestling title back in the day and now the television title.

PWG in my opinion has a lot better wrestling then ROH, this is why it saddens me to see that the world title is being neglected the way it has been. When Chris Hero was a champ the title was strong and defended regulary, when Joey Ryan was the champ the title meant even more, although Joey cheated in every match, that actually added more strength and prestige to the belt, but now we barely see title matches. I hope Claudio defends the belt at Wrestle Reunion and puts on a PWG title match classic cause we are due to see one.

Pax Romana LOL
krayzie Bone

Postby Souf Centrol » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Yeah I would like a mid card belt but they don't run enough shows
Souf Centrol

Postby jdw » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Looking at the last show, I'm wondering is a second singles match would have helped anything. Who would have been chasing it?

The matches that people popped most for on the last two shows (Steen-Tozawa and Generico-Ricochet) didn't have titles, weren't "#1 contenders matches", and really didn't set anyone up for a title down the road. They were just very good singles matches.

On the show, the one match that sorta-kinda-maybe had title implications prior to the main event was Joey-Gaston. In a sense, Joey's run to the title would have gone off the rails if he lost. Yet it was the match that drew the weakest response from the fans.

Titles for titles sake are a booking crutch.

It would be better for PWG to just get back to nailing the two titles with good storylines and matches.

The PWG Title has a few good storylines going: Joey's money-in-the-bank shot, Generico winning a shot, and that dynamic that Hero wants the belt back even though his partner has it. Solid stuff there, all built in different ways: Joey's simmering from BOLA, Generico's built on a dime, and Hero's just being teased a bit in the background.

Is there a clear Tag Title storyline at the moment? The Cutlers, Taylors and Bucks are all out there, but there isn't a focus on any of them towards the title.

Why bother rolling out another title when the effort can be made to work on a tag storyline instead?
jdw

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:07 am

When are you gonna get it through your head guys, PWG never sticks with a storyline. Look at what happened to Taylor Boys at the last show! Taylors were being built as heels, who win matches by any means, and then they job to Young Bucks, who completely mailed it in at the last show and made Taylor Boys look bad. It's almost like that whole Taylor Boys gimmick got dropped when Young Bucks went over as heels. I don't want to criticize the booking, but some things just don't make sense.

Also I guess we don't need a second title in PWG, as long as the matches are great who cares about titles. Look at Chikara for example. They only have world tag team titles, not even a heavyweight title and the wrestling is freeking awesome.
krayzie Bone

Postby The Franchise13 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:22 pm

A second title will give the wrestlers something to fight for. Eventhough we have 2 titles in PWG, most of the times only 1 of those belts are defended in a show. Eventhough PWG doesn't run as many shows as they should, it would give meaning to some of the wrestlers. Aslong as we have the Peligro Abejas, Bucks, Cutlers and Briscoes in the roster, people like Goodtime will probably never get a break. I think RockNES is not strong enough to be tag champs and I doubt Goodtime will ever challenge for the PWG title. People like Goodtime, any of the 3 Taylors, Willie Mack, Ricochet... or even Skinny Cutler could hold this title. Imagine how huge it will be if we open a PWG show with a title match. A second title would add storylines and feuds.
The Franchise13

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum