Feuds in PWG

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Feuds in PWG

Postby Whoblehwah » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:37 pm

This is something that was brought up in the thread for BOLA '10, but I feel it deserved its own thread.

How do you feel about feuds in PWG? I know some people like how they don't use many feuds and feel that kind of stuff should be left in WWE/TNA/ROH etc., but personally I wouldn't mind if PWG made a little more effort to have some feuds here and there. In the past they always had some going on, but it seems that as the years went by they decided to just not do it anymore. Off the top of my head I can think of a few feuds PWG had going on back in the day:

Super Dragon vs. Joey Ryan
Frankie Kazarian vs. Adam Pierce
AXP vs. Arrogance
Scorpio Sky vs. Scott Lost
Kevin Steen vs. Super Dragon
The Dynasty vs. The PWG-Unit
Scorpio Sky vs. Frankie Kazarian
Chris Bosh's run for the PWG World Championship
Ronin's quest for BOLA
Chris Hero vs. Human Tornado
Joey Ryan vs. Chris Hero

I really wish they would try to incorporate more feuds into their shows. I'm not saying every wrestler should be involved in one, but it'd be nice if they had 1 or 2 going on at a time, ya know?
Whoblehwah

Re: Feuds in PWG

Postby ChrisIsAwesome » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Agreed. But with PWG running basically 1 show a month, it's kinda tough to keep real fueds going.

I wish PWG would use something like ROH's video wire, or Chikara's blogs and podcasts.
ChrisIsAwesome

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 pm

ChrisIsAwesome wrote:I wish PWG would use something like ROH's video wire, or Chikara's blogs and podcasts.

Yes to this idea. A promo or two wouldn't hurt.
Garden State Saint

Postby Whoblehwah » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:06 pm

It seemed like they were sort of experimenting with that by posting those videos of Generico, Omega, and Chucky T last year. Also they posted the awesome Cutlers work out montage. They should post more of those.....
Whoblehwah

Postby MegaKnux » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:55 pm

I agree 100%. I big reason alot of people got into PWG in the first place are feuds like Kevin Steen vs Super Dragon and Chris Hero vs The Human Tornado. I know it must be hard to put certain guys in feuds because they might not be able to be at every show (Davey Richards, Kenny Omega, Chuck Taylor, etc.), but if they focus on more local guys then I don't think it should be too difficult.

And the video wire/podcast thing is a great idea too. I miss all the crazy promos PWG used to do (anyone remember the Lioncock trailers?), now it seems like they only put up two or three a year.
MegaKnux

Postby The Franchise13 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:41 pm

PWG should have feuds. Its great to see to out of nowhere matches which gives great wrestling. Buts let's take a look into the Bucks and Cutler feud that's going on. Because of this feud, it adds more excitement to the following match to come. They been add it since DDT. They need to start a new feud with single wrestlers who don't miss PWG show. I gave the example of Strong vs London in the BOLA post. Or what would be really fun, turn Gatson heel. Have someone new to hate. It will twist things and actually catapult him to main event status.
The Franchise13

Postby Souf Centrol » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 am

Yeah I would love feuds/storylines back in PWG like I said in the BOLA thread. They don't have to have the same matches every show for the feud to be successful. Hell they could spread it out plus if someone is on the same show they could jump someone after their match or even before it. I just don't want cheap finishes. Also when's the last time we saw a draw in PWG?
Souf Centrol

Postby Garden State Saint » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:12 pm

I gotta say a Gatson heel turn would be cool to see develop but does he really have the edge for it?
Garden State Saint

Postby talley_1986 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:57 am

I like the fact that there aren't a ton of storylines in PWG. It makes buying random old shows easier to follow and helps future cards if someone no-shows a replacement can be found without messing anything up. However, there's a difference between having few feuds and not having any. We're about 3/4 the way done with the year and really, what angles were there this year? The only real one was probably the continuous Young Bucks as champions while Generico tries to find someone to team with to beat them. You had a little feud with The Bucks and Cutlers, but they set that up pretty quickly to end at SEVEN. Unfortunately, PWG has killed off several angles that had potential to be good. The big six man feud of The Bucks and Kendrick vs Omega, Cabana and Generico that the end of BOLA 2009 seemed to hint at ended before it actually began. The Cutlers and Joey Ryan/Candice LaRae feud was ended with the Cutlers and Joey Ryan being partners randomly.

Just having one major angle that can incorporate a lot of wrestlers is good enough. The Dynasty vs PWG worked so well in 2006 since it opened up so many matches and every show could have some sort of storyline progression to it. A simple angle between Human Tornado and Candice LaRae ended up involving a half dozen or more guys ended up lasting close to a year and a half.

It doesn't need to be something big, but just something that can make the matches mean something more than a win or a loss. We've had a lot of new locals the past year and a half. You could easily have a New Blood type deal where Gatson, Goodtime, Ryan Taylor and Malachi tries to steal the spots of established PWG wrestlers such as Joey Ryan, Chris Hero and El Generico.
talley_1986

Postby The Franchise13 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:28 am

I like the idea of a New Blood faction in PWG. But i wouldn't involve Goodtime or Malachi. I would make it Brandon Carson, Ryan Taylor and the Curled Brothers.
The Franchise13

Postby Souf Centrol » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Malachi the prince bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Souf Centrol

Postby tmac9311 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 pm

Even a young guy feud be good; like the proposed Rockness monster forms and LTP turns heel and starts beating on Goodtime and brings in Willie Mack. Those guys would be at every show, and it help you develop two of your homegrown guys into future PWG guys, now that the likes of Bosh Lost and Tornado are gone. Props to whoever wrote that in the BOLA thread, seems very simple and affective.
tmac9311

Postby Whoblehwah » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:13 am

That was me, lol.

Also I still think Malachi with Ronin as his body guard would be fun......
Whoblehwah

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:53 am

Souf Centrol wrote:Also when's the last time we saw a draw in PWG?

All Star Weekend 6 Night 2, Bryan Danielson vs. CIMA. Not sure if that was the last one but it was the first the came to mind.
Garden State Saint

Postby Meltman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:54 am

The 2 draws Omega/Strong had last year.
Meltman

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Ah you're totally right. I bought The Secret of Guerrilla Island and never got a chance to watch it. It was in my bedroom one day and gone the next. Still hellbent on finding it.
Garden State Saint

Postby Whoblehwah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:16 pm

If Human Tornado ever returns to PWG, I hope they book him as someones manager or tag partner. Back in the day he was in the same position these guys were in. A young local guy working his way up the card, trying to make a new for himself. Now he's a former 2-time PWG World Champion. I think sticking him with a young guy would really boost their credibility.
Whoblehwah

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum