Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Moderators: PWG_Silverback, PWGTickets

Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Lord Akiyama » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:11 am

Universal really went out of its way to make Scott Pilgrim the biggest thing at Comic Con. The marketing blitz they put forth was nothing short of astounding. So here's how it went down.

First, they had the windows of one side of the Hilton Hotel, across the street from the Convention Center, painted with the Scott Pilgrim poster.

Image

Also across the street, but on the Gaslamp district, was where the plethora of Scott Pilgrim marketing was. First, there was the Scott Pilgrim Garlic Bread stand where they handed out free garlic bread (Scott Pilgrim's favorite snack).

Image

Near that was a stall where they were giving out free Scott Pilgrim T-shirts (fans would get one of three pre-made shirts).

Image

Then there was the Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con Experience, which was held at the Hilton Gaslamp station.

Image

The line was super long, especially since anyone (with or without Comic Con badge) could enter. The wait time was between one-three hours depending. But the end result was often well worth it.

Image

There was a station where fans could get a customized Scott Pilgrim T-shirt (as seen on the right of the image above). They could also make their own personalized flip book.

Image

Play a demo of the Scott Pilgrim video game that will be available for download on the Playstation Network August 10 (today).

Image

They would also get to see live performances from the winner of the Band Battle Royale contest they held, Gorgeous Got a Gun.

Image

And every now and then will get to meet members of the cast for autographs and pictures.

Image
Kieran Culkin - aka Wallace Wells

Image
Anna Kendrick - aka Stacey Pilgrim

Image
Aubrey Plaza - aka Julie Powers

Image
Left: Ellen Wong - aka Knives Chau
Middle: Mary Elizabeth Winstead - aka Ramona Flowers

All for free!

On Day One, they conducted the Scott Pilgrim panel in Hall H with up to thirteen members of the cast along with creator Bryan Lee O'Malley and director Edgar Wright.

Part One of Four:


The panel was filled with great fun and hilarity, as you could see and imagine. At the end, Edgar had a surprise for everyone in that they were going to show the full film at the Balboa Theatre that evening. But to get in, folks needed to have received a 1-Up button during the panel. Edgar then jumped off the stage and led everyone with the appropriate button to the theatre. Seriously, he led the people to the screening.



Those who didn't get the button still had other chances as they were screening the movie two more times on Day Two and Day Three for free. That's right, free! Of course, fans had to wait in line for hours to ensure they were getting into the screening, which was first come first serve.

Image

But the end result was worth it for the obvious reason. Not to mention the theatre was kind enough to also give out free popcorn and drinks. Inside, as fans were waiting for the movie to start, they were treated to music mixed together by Dan The Automator (of Gorillaz fame) and Kid Koala, both of whom worked on mixing the music for the film.

When it was time, Edgar and the cast came out to introduce the film. I'll try to get a review up later, but I can say with great honesty that this was a fantastic movie from start to finish. Edgar returned to the stage at the end of the film for a closing speech. Those who got to see the film on the first night were given an added bonus of a mini-concert from Metric, whose song "Black Sheep" was used in the film as a song performed by the in-film band Clash at Demonhead.



So you can see that Universal really went out of their way to make Scott Pilgrim one of, if not the memorable film presented at Comic Con.
Image

"Jeff Hardy would no show his own sex tape."
-Random Fan
User avatar
Lord Akiyama
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:12 am

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby El Asian » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 pm

that looks really awesome and obviously an awesome experience

also, how was the garlic bread?
User avatar
El Asian
 
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Lord Akiyama » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 pm

El Asian wrote:also, how was the garlic bread?


T'was good. 8)
Image

"Jeff Hardy would no show his own sex tape."
-Random Fan
User avatar
Lord Akiyama
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:12 am

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby The Six » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:07 pm

What the hell is a Scott Pilgrim.
The Six
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Lord Akiyama » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:44 pm

The Six wrote:What the hell is a Scott Pilgrim.


A twenty-two-year-old, jobless, slacker Canadian who plays bass in a terrible band, has had doomed relationships, must share a bed with his gay roommate, and has to battle the seven evil exes of the girl of his dreams to win her heart.
Image

"Jeff Hardy would no show his own sex tape."
-Random Fan
User avatar
Lord Akiyama
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:12 am

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Dangerous Robot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Sounds like a terrible video game. I'm sure the kids will eat it up though.
User avatar
Dangerous Robot
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:24 am
Location: ExP, CA

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Lord Akiyama » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Dangerous Robot wrote:Sounds like a terrible video game. I'm sure the kids will eat it up though.


Speaking of which, the video game is oodles of nostalgic fun.
Image

"Jeff Hardy would no show his own sex tape."
-Random Fan
User avatar
Lord Akiyama
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:12 am

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Whoblehwah » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:39 am

The comics are awesome, the movie is awesome, and the video game is awesome. I wish I could meet Knives!!!
Image
Whoblehwah
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby jacob_burman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:07 am

All that work and the movie still bombed in theaters...
jacob_burman
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Whoblehwah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:16 am

jacob_burman wrote:All that work and the movie still bombed in theaters...


Its still awesome. It didn't do as good as the other movies because it didn't have big stars and crap in it, despite the fact that reviewers loved it.

Also, look at it this way.

WWE makes a lot of money.
PWG makes a lot less money than WWE.

We all know whose better though right? More profit =\= better product.
Image
Whoblehwah
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby jacob_burman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:46 am

Whoblehwah wrote:
jacob_burman wrote:All that work and the movie still bombed in theaters...


Its still awesome. It didn't do as good as the other movies because it didn't have big stars and crap in it, despite the fact that reviewers loved it.

Also, look at it this way.

WWE makes a lot of money.
PWG makes a lot less money than WWE.

We all know whose better though right? More profit =\= better product.


That's a HORRIBLE way to look at it. If PWG had the same amount of publicity as WWE, then sure, that would be ok. PWG runs a show once a month, aren't on TV, stays in one place, etc etc. It isn't even competing with WWE. This movie has the same publicity as other movies and is out around the same number of theaters as other movies. Michael is a pretty big name too. I mean, Super Bad did make $121,463,226 in the US and Canada, so people know who this guy is. Their budget was $85-90 million. That's an INSANE amount of money to use for a movie, so it must have had crap in it. And when you only make $14,653,625 in your opening weekend and come in 5th place, that's really depressing. PWG didn't get a budget like this movie had, so in no way can you compare this to wrestling.
jacob_burman
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby El Asian » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 am

honestly, the simple answer is that movie goers are fucking stupid if shit movies like Vampire Suck, The Last Airbender, and Clash of the Titans did better than Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

anyways, going back to discussion to the video game, played it on 360 and its awesome, a bit glitchy but still fun and even challenging beat-em-up and the music is just as awesome as well
User avatar
El Asian
 
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con

Postby Whoblehwah » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 pm

jacob_burman wrote:
Whoblehwah wrote:
jacob_burman wrote:All that work and the movie still bombed in theaters...


Its still awesome. It didn't do as good as the other movies because it didn't have big stars and crap in it, despite the fact that reviewers loved it.

Also, look at it this way.

WWE makes a lot of money.
PWG makes a lot less money than WWE.

We all know whose better though right? More profit =\= better product.


That's a HORRIBLE way to look at it. If PWG had the same amount of publicity as WWE, then sure, that would be ok. PWG runs a show once a month, aren't on TV, stays in one place, etc etc. It isn't even competing with WWE. This movie has the same publicity as other movies and is out around the same number of theaters as other movies. Michael is a pretty big name too. I mean, Super Bad did make $121,463,226 in the US and Canada, so people know who this guy is. Their budget was $85-90 million. That's an INSANE amount of money to use for a movie, so it must have had crap in it. And when you only make $14,653,625 in your opening weekend and come in 5th place, that's really depressing. PWG didn't get a budget like this movie had, so in no way can you compare this to wrestling.


Way to miss the point completely.
Image
Whoblehwah
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Brooklyn, New York


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests