A few questions from an east coast fan

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

A few questions from an east coast fan

Postby hjaskater » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Hey everybody,

July 30th, I'll be flying out from Boston to Burbank, leaving the east coast for the first time in my life! I'll be staying in Woodland Hills, so I'm not that far from the venue for PWG.

However, I'm going to the X Games at the Nokia Theater at 1:00, and need to know the best way to get to/from the Nokia Theater, the American Legion, and my hotel. What's public trans like in LA? What's my best choice? How long should it take me on a Friday afternoon in LA around 5-6PM to get from the Nokia Theater to the PWG show? Lastly, any words of advice for my first trip to LA?

Any answers would be much appreciated. See you there!

-Harry
hjaskater

Re: A few questions from an east coast fan

Postby bford24 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:30 pm

I am sure you will have a great time, but getting anywhere on a Friday afternoon is a pain. Maybe someone living there will give a better idea.
bford24

Postby chdevin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Taxi would definitely be the best option. I might be heading to the X Games as well, so if you have any interest; we can split a cab to head to the PWG show afterward.
chdevin

Postby fatallylost » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Not sure where the X games are, but, the Metro Orange line has a Reseda station (a bit of a walk, if you don't connect to a bus afterwards I'd imagine)

Just look up the la metro page, and that may help.
fatallylost

Postby jacob_burman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Sadly, I can't answer your question, though I'd think a cab ride would be really pricey, especially since you will be sitting in traffic.

I do have a question of my own. I'm probably going to head out really early just to TRY to duck most of the traffic. Is there anywhere around the area that would be a good place to kill some time, maybe a theater and a good place to eat?
jacob_burman

Postby IronMonkey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 pm

- you'll have your travel work cut out for you on that day!

from your hotel you should be able to catch a bus into Hollywood, where you'd then hop on the Metro (our version of a subway) and take that downtown to Nokia. Very easy. Coming back you could do the same in reverse: Metro to Hollywood, from there catch a bus (perhaps 2) into Reseda, and it drops off a few blocks away from the venue. A day pass for $5 will allow you to ride any combinations of bus/rail for the entire day, and this site will give you all the public transit options: http://www.metro.net

HOWEVER you'll be cutting it really close when you leave Nokia heading to Reseda- especially if you want to get there in time to grab a decent spot in the line + hang out before the show. You might want to consider a cab or something, but that can get real pricey real quick.
IronMonkey

Postby Mr. Vegas » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:47 pm

jacob_burman wrote:I do have a question of my own. I'm probably going to head out really early just to TRY to duck most of the traffic. Is there anywhere around the area that would be a good place to kill some time, maybe a theater and a good place to eat?

the Northridge Mall is pretty close

they got theaters and places to eat there
Mr. Vegas

Postby Cman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:20 pm

I was thinking Northridge Mall again myself. If there is a movie that I want to check out I will leave in a pretty decent amount of time to get there and see the movie then dick around until it is time to go to the show. Vegas let me know what you want to do and we can meet up early.
Cman

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:34 pm

hjaskater wrote:Hey everybody,

July 30th, I'll be flying out from Boston to Burbank, leaving the east coast for the first time in my life! I'll be staying in Woodland Hills, so I'm not that far from the venue for PWG.

However, I'm going to the X Games at the Nokia Theater at 1:00, and need to know the best way to get to/from the Nokia Theater, the American Legion, and my hotel. What's public trans like in LA? What's my best choice? How long should it take me on a Friday afternoon in LA around 5-6PM to get from the Nokia Theater to the PWG show? Lastly, any words of advice for my first trip to LA?

Any answers would be much appreciated. See you there!

-Harry

I can answer this easy for you since I know all the routes around here. It takes roughly about an hour to get from the Nokia Redline Station to the North Hollywood Redline Station, then switch to the Orange line that takes you to Reseda where you then have to transfer to a bus heading up Reseda BLVD. Travel time might be somewhere alone the lines of about 3 hours.

Trying to take anything out of Los Angeles via Freeway, street or bus will take you longer since that is when rush hour traffic is. Especially on a friday, it's club and party night and thats when people start to leave as well as go home from work sometimes.

If you go out that way and you meet someone in the Valley, you can visit some things, however if you get their later than expected the line will be long at PWG, I'm sure a lot of people will be out for this one. Basically it just takes some planning and luck. If you catch a ride in the valley it makes it easier in time.

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers
DjEn3rgy21

Postby hjaskater » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Wait, three hours to get from the Nokia Theater to the PWG show?
hjaskater

Postby fatallylost » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm not too sure on that time frame. I live on the opposite side of LA than Reseda, so, I hit traffic everytime. I tend to leave here about 6:30ish, and get there pretty close to 7:30/8:00 depending on the traffic. Going home is maybe a 30 minute drive, if that most times.
fatallylost

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:42 pm

hjaskater wrote:Wait, three hours to get from the Nokia Theater to the PWG show?

By public transit yes. By car roughly an hour or 2 depending. Los Angeles isn't really known for easy highways. Especially getting out of Downtown LA where the Nokia is.

Usually you would hop on the 110 to the 101 and it would be a direct shot. But at that time it's a parking lot.

Thats why planning is a must. Sometimes it is easier to take the streets but you really have to know your way around the city. Best bet would be the Subway. The reason I say it is about 3 hours is the wait time on public transportation. People tend to forget that out here we have to wait for a bus sometimes for long periods of time.

Cheers
DjEn3rgy21

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 pm

fatallylost wrote:I'm not too sure on that time frame. I live on the opposite side of LA than Reseda, so, I hit traffic everytime. I tend to leave here about 6:30ish, and get there pretty close to 7:30/8:00 depending on the traffic. Going home is maybe a 30 minute drive, if that most times.

Yeah, I live in the Valley but work in Silverlake now. When I used to work in Hollywood it was still an hour to get home, and I worked 9 miles from Hollywood. Traffic just tends to suck. I think for this show I'm sending in someone to wait for me while I get off work so I can get there on time for my front row seat.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby hjaskater » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:06 pm

So 3 hours by bus or 2 hours by car.

Should I just walk?
hjaskater

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:17 pm

hjaskater wrote:So 3 hours by bus or 2 hours by car.

Should I just walk?

Trust me the best way you would probably want to do it is take the subway up to the valley, then take the Orange Line to Reseda. That way you can relax. Walking, i wouldn't recommend that too much out here. Especially how far your going to be.

See if you can set up someone to maybe pick you up from the Orange Line Station in RESEDA I'm sure someone would help you out.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby jacob_burman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Mr. Vegas wrote:
jacob_burman wrote:I do have a question of my own. I'm probably going to head out really early just to TRY to duck most of the traffic. Is there anywhere around the area that would be a good place to kill some time, maybe a theater and a good place to eat?

how far is the mall from the building anyways?
jacob_burman

Postby Mr. Vegas » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:21 pm

jacob_burman wrote:
Mr. Vegas wrote:

I think about 5 minutes by driving.
Mr. Vegas

Postby Cman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:25 pm

jacob_burman wrote:
Mr. Vegas wrote:

The Mall is about 10-15 minutes from the Legion Hall.
Cman

Postby jacob_burman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:07 am

Damn not bad at all. Leave from the OC at like 11-1 and get to the mall by 3. 4 hours to kill at the mall and then get to the arena by 7. Sounds pretty nice. Though I'm going to laugh if the whole it will be warm statement actually means they are moving the show somewhere outdoors lol.
jacob_burman

Postby hjaskater » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:57 am

Damn, bad news.

Didn't realize that you need to be 21 to get a hotel, and I'm only 18. Any way to work around this?
hjaskater

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum