PWG's "Beyond The Thunderdome" on March 18!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

PWG's "Beyond The Thunderdome" on March 18!

Postby PWG_Silverback » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:58 pm

PWG Presents "Beyond The Thunderdome" on Saturday, March 18!
By Silverback, PWG Staff Writer

Crescent City, CA - At Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's (http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com) "The Hollywood Globetrotters," fans witnessed "The Draw" Joey Ryan become the winningest champion in the near three year history of the historic PWG World Championship. Not only that, but Joey insists that he is the "highest drawing champion in PWG history!" When one stops to think about all the men who have held the title, or even challenged for the belt, it becomes abundantly clear that "The Draw" is, in fact, the least worthy person to hold the title. Also abundantly clear is that what the champ lacks in pure wrestling ability, he makes up for in sheer guile, pluck, moxie, and grit, all of which he will be tested for in accordance to Commissioner Dino Winwood's drug enforcement policy.

When reached for comment after his victory over "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen at "Globetrotters," Joey offered a shot at his PWG World Championship to "any man with his own action figure who has challenged for a PWG title, not already involved in a PWG tag title match at the next show." While Joey's criteria does eliminate "Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels and "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles, the champ should have given a little more thought to his challenge, because Chris Sabin (and his action figure) has accepted the challenge! Hot off his victory over Alex Shelley, Sabin said that he was aware of Joey's tactics, especially his ability to hold on to the title in the face of impossible odds, and has prepared some special countermeasures for the champ. Will the next Chris Sabin action figure come with two title belts, or will the win streak of "The Draw" continue? Find out on Saturday, March 18 at PWG's "Beyond The Thunderdome!"

"The Hollywood Globetrotters" also saw the PWG World Tag Team Champions, Super Dragon & Davey Richards, leave another team in their wake as they once again successfully defended the belts, this time against the team of Jack Evans & Roderick Strong. Dragon & Richards, who have begun referring to the number of unsuccessful challenges as a "body count," have grown increasingly cocky after their string of victories, and are ready to take on any challengers. Commissioner Winwood has observed their title reign from the start, and has decided it's time to pull the greatest challenge yet off the back burner. It is a challenge which has been made twice before, and each time was changed at the last minute, but this time, it looks like it may actually happen! Yes, intrepid wrestling fan, Commissioner Winwood has decided that the unlikely duo of Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles (possibly with their action figures in tow,) will battle Dragon & Richards for the tag titles on March 18! Finally, for the first time!

Also taking place at "Beyond The Thunderdome" on Saturday, March 18 at 7:00PM at the Hollywood-Los Feliz JCC:

PWG World Tag Team Championship Number 1 Contenders Rematch
Arrogance (Chris Bosh & Scott Lost) vs. Cape Fear (El Generico & Quicksilver) - After the Number 1 Contenders match was ruled a disqualification thanks to interference by Joey Ryan, Commissioner Winwood decided there must be a Number 1 contender, so these two teams will meet once again!

PWG World Championship Number 1 Contender Match
B-Boy vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen - Due to Joey Ryan's less than convincing defeat of "Mr. Wrestling," Steen is being offered another chance at the title, but he has to make it past B-Boy first. But has B-Boy really earned his place in this match, or is this just Dino's way of getting back at Frankie Kazarian?

Human Tornado vs. Scorpio Sky - Fans have witnessed the tenuous relationship of Tornado and Sky slowly dissolving over the last few months, until things finally broke apart at "The Hollywood Globetrotters!" Each man feels disrespected by the other, but only one will walk away from "Beyond The Thunderdome" satisfied!

Disco Machine & Nemesis vs. Los Luchas (Phoenix Star & Zokre) - After two crushing defeats at the hands of the tag champs, Los Luchas will attempt to make their way back up the tag team ladder at "Beyond The Thunderdome." But Disco Machine & Nemesis have been making their own climb up, and wouldn't mind using Los Luchas as the next step to gold!

Plus TJ Perkins, Bino Gambino, Ronin, Top Gun Talwar, Alex Koslov & More!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's "Beyond The Thunderdome" takes place at the Hollywood-Los Feliz JCC on Saturday, March 18, 2006 at 7:00PM. The Hollywood-Los Feliz JCC is located at 1110 Bates Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90029. Tickets are $20 each, and will be available at the door. For more information, please visit http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com or email info@prowrestlingguerrilla.com.
Last edited by PWG_Silverback on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby Doggie 6:32 Crack » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:15 pm

here are my predictions for march 18th:

super dragon/davey richards vs aj styles/chris daniels

of course SUPER DRAGON is going to win and put himself over with the fans. there's no surprise here. it's an outrage styles and daniels take this kind of stuff from a 3rd rate indy eric bishoff.

joey ryan vs chris sabin
finally after years of chris getting crapped on he is finally getting his due. my hat goes off to PWG for once. no more greased up thugs for sabin to wrestle anymore.

Arrogance vs. Cape Fear
god this match again. maybe it will run long enough for me to run to McDonalds to grab a bite to eat, grab a beer and walk back .

B-Boy vs Kevin Steen
this should be fun. a greased up thug and a wrestler with limited in ring ability. should be a "barnburner" to say the least.

and my final prediction again will be that alex koslov will be the opening match. why does he always get put down by the people backstage. this guy is the backbone of the company. he's the only guy in the ring who actually knows what he's doing(except for the TNA guys). and why hasnt rocky romero been booked. the best undiscovered talent on the north america scene today. well at least this time there's more TNA stars. see all of you in line. im getting there at 9am for my spot. :twisted:
Doggie 6:32 Crack

Postby Paul Burns » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:37 pm

Eh, this'll be an alright show but I'm only really looking forward to the Tag Title match and Sky/Tornado.
Paul Burns

Postby onlxn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:58 pm

Why the hell has T.J. Perkins been relegated to "...and more" status? He's one of the five or six best workers on the roster -- why isn't he being given anything to do?

That aside, looks to be a good "interim" show, with an emphasis on the locals and smart, limited use of fly-ins. Will be there...
onlxn

Postby sghost » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:05 pm

What is with these stupid tepid reactions? This sounds like it will be a nice show! Every match seems like it will be fun and entertaining. My only worry is the weak link Christopher Daniels in the tag title match. Otherwise I think this show will be very entertaining and go beyond these few people's mild expectations.
sghost

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:59 am

This should be a really awesome show. I'm also worried about Daniels' involvment in the tag title match, but Dragon and Davey are always great so it should be no problem if they centered the match around AJ. B-Boy/Steen should also be really good. I enjoyed their previous match with eachother, and they have both been putting on really solid matches lately. The past Sky/Tornado matches where great in other promotions, so it should be great in PWG. The Rev Pro lucha tag should be fun as hell too. Nemesis and Los Luchas have great chemistry with eachother, and Disco is always great when he's working spotty type matches. This entire card looks really good, from top to bottom.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:10 am

I don't worry about Daniels' involvement. Not one bit.

There's no question that he's been mailing it in athletically in PWG of late... but he's been able to. He's been in the middle of cards, in non-essential story matches. Obviously we'd all prefer if he gave it his all every time, but really, his mailing it in hasn't greatly hurt any overall shows.

This, on the other hand, is a high-profile match. Will certainly be the main event of the show -- Daniels' first since the hour draw with AJ. It's also a heavily hyped match that's been booked twice, a match that even Daniels hyped at "Permanent Vacation".

It's not like Daniels isn't capable of going toe-to-toe -- he's been in some wildly athletic and physical matches in TNA and ROH of late, and he even used to have those in PWG back when his role was bigger. The dude's a pro, and he clearly realizes this is a big match for PWG with big expectations. It's true that A.J.'s stiffness makes him a slightly better matchup with Dragon and Davey, but to me, there's no question that Daniels will hold up his end of the bargain.
onlxn

Postby Paul Burns » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:11 pm

You know what I realised? PWG is the only promotion going today where the Tag Team Championship is as respected/prestiges as the main championship!
Paul Burns

Postby CheMateo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:11 pm

Yeah that is what is making it so fun. Plus the line between tag title and world title is becoming blurred and is on fire since the mixing between Bosh, Super Dragon, Joey Ryan. Plus you got B-Boy and Frankie Kazarian on the world title hunt. Right now the title scene in PWG is fantastic!
CheMateo

Postby It's A Bomb » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:01 pm

onlxn wrote:There's no question that he's been mailing it in athletically in PWG of late... but he's been able to. He's been in the middle of cards, in non-essential story matches. Obviously we'd all prefer if he gave it his all every time, but really, his mailing it in hasn't greatly hurt any overall shows.

This, on the other hand, is a high-profile match. Will certainly be the main event of the show -- Daniels' first since the hour draw with AJ. It's also a heavily hyped match that's been booked twice, a match that even Daniels hyped at "Permanent Vacation".

Daniels was involved in the main event at the 2nd 2 Year show and he really didn't seem to do much in that match, and he had a pretty high profile match with Chris Sabin and a highly anticipated rematch with Chris Hero. I wouldn't say that he's mailing it in because he's not in high profile matches, I'd say it's because he just doesn't seem to think PWG is worth going all out for. Maybe he will do his best, but I don't see him meshing well with Dragon and Richards.

I'm also willing to go on the record and say that there are atleast six wrestlers in PWG that are better than TJ Perkins.

As far as the show, I enjoy it. Scorpio Sky vs. Human Tornado should be awesome. Their match at AWS when Sky was a heel was awesome, and he plays a great heel. The title scene, as mentioned above, has become really fun to watch and things seem a lot more important when it comes to titles.
It's A Bomb

Postby sghost » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:58 pm

onlxn wrote:Why the hell has T.J. Perkins been relegated to "...and more" status?

It's A Bomb wrote:
I'm also willing to go on the record and say that there are atleast six wrestlers in PWG that are better than TJ Perkins.

Yeah not to mention that he is kind of bland. He may be a solid up and comer but he doesn't really stand out or have any intensity.
sghost

Postby Lee » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:37 pm

Why does Cali have to be so damn far from Quebec? :( Looking forward to seeing B Boy versus Steen. I'd like to see Generico in more singles matches.
Lee

Postby onlxn » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:52 pm

Forgot about the 2nd Anny three-way... good point. There's no doubt that Daniels has been going half-speed for awhile. But I do think there's a difference between a midcard "dream match" with Sabin or Hero and a main event featuring the most over act (the champs) in the company. I think Daniels will fly enough and eat enough stiff offense so that nobody will complain. But we'll see next week.

As for Perkins... I'm not arguing that they should push him super-hard. He doesn't have a great look, he's a bland character and I've never even heard him on the mic. All I'm saying is, if they can book nice undercard matches ahead of time for guys like Los Luchas, they can at least put a little thought into presenting one of the best wrestlers in the company.

Speaking of that, I decided to discuss my "Perkins is top 5 or 6" claim in a different thread...
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:32 pm

I fail to see how the Hero rematch was a "midcard" dream match is any different than the tag team titles match. I'm not going to expect much from Daniels, and I'd keep it that way so I wont be disapointed.
SoCalAndy

Postby scrub » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:34 am

So, crossbody block from the top from Dragon on Saturday? Or the match being postponed again. One of the two.
scrub

Postby bford24 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:17 pm

Man it sucks. I have to miss the event tomorrow night. I can't wait to see the results from the show, hopefully AJ/Daniels will be able to get their title shot.
bford24

Postby Big Joe » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:38 am

Anyone think Sabin takes the belt tonight to set up a rematch with B-Boy in April?
Big Joe

Postby It's A Bomb » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:41 am

I doubt it. They have been building up to Bosh and Joey for the longest time now, and Sabin hasn't had the build for a title win at this point when compared to Bosh.
It's A Bomb

Postby bford24 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:50 pm

I hate that I had to miss this show tonight but I can't wait for the 2-day event April 8 and 9. I know someone is going to post the results of tonight but I would love if someone can post some matches for the next event too.
bford24

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:15 pm

bford24 wrote:I hate that I had to miss this show tonight but I can't wait for the 2-day event April 8 and 9. I know someone is going to post the results of tonight but I would love if someone can post some matches for the next event too.

Matches are usually announced along with the results afterwards usually, so I doubt tonight will be any different.
Lee

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum