Old school questions

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: Old school questions

Postby Slappy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Whoops, swap be with "put"
Slappy

Postby shyboy13 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:21 am

In one of the older PWG shows, Puma lost his mask to, I think, Ricky Reyes. He then later started showing up with his mask again until he was ultimately demasked by Davey Richards. Was there any mention of why he started wearing his mask again or did he just keep wearing it because everyone already knew who he was anyway.
shyboy13

Postby TheZeroMan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:45 am

On the (Don't Call it) The OC show why did Super Dragon and Steen fight in the Mainevent with Cape Fear against Hero, Claudio, Bosh and Lost when the duo had been in matches already on the show?

Did someone no show? If so who?

I'm curious.
TheZeroMan

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:30 pm

It was Los Luchas that didn't show up. Before the match Dino Winwood held a drawing to see who would replace them. I believe Super Dragon was the first name called. Joey Ryan was next... but Joey Ryan refused to participate, so Kevin Steen was the next name called.
TigerDriver98

Postby onlxn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:16 am

Yeah. It was set up so that the crowd would pop when they realized that Dragon and Steen were teaming together (this was only a couple months after their feud had ended), but Bosh improv'ed some one-liner over the announcement, killing its effectiveness. Sorta summed up that show -- pretty great on paper, but too much shtick and too much bad timing, all night long.
onlxn

Postby SenimSilla » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:53 am

I thought (Please Don't Call It) The OC was a pretty good show. Rocky/TJ was really good, Aries/Sabin was fun, the SkyJoey/B-BoyFrankie tag match was fine, Danielson/Steen had a good mix of comedy and wrestling, the 6 man saw Bino get killed, Tornado/Colt was a good comedy match, and the main event was good. Then again, I tend to enjoy the shows that people here don't like that much.
SenimSilla

Postby onlxn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:20 am

It's not that I thought all those matches were terrible or anything... it's just that, both live and on DVD, the show felt poorly paced and monotonous because of all the comedy. Aries/Sabin, the Frankie/B-Boy vs. Joey/Scorp tag, Danielson/Steen AND Tornado/Cabana were all wrestled as comedy matches, with a lot of micwork before and afterward. Tornado/Cabana was a great comedy match, and Aries/Sabin was a good one as well, but that's just too much shtick for one show. The Joey tag featured two hot feuds, but focused on heel gay spots instead of the rivalries... Danielson/Steen was one of the bigger matches in Steen's PWG career, and Danielson's first match back in a good long while, but they goofed around instead of acting like it was a big match. It just kinda killed the crowd.

I'm sure a lot of those matches would be fun if watched in a vacuum -- I really liked Rocky/TJ and Tornado/Cabana -- but I just didn't like the way it held together as a show.
onlxn

Postby WannaB » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:29 am

onlxn wrote:It's not that I thought all those matches were terrible or anything... it's just that, both live and on DVD, the show felt poorly paced and monotonous because of all the comedy. Aries/Sabin, the Frankie/B-Boy vs. Joey/Scorp tag, Danielson/Steen AND Tornado/Cabana were all wrestled as comedy matches, with a lot of micwork before and afterward. Tornado/Cabana was a great comedy match, and Aries/Sabin was a good one as well, but that's just too much shtick for one show. The Joey tag featured two hot feuds, but focused on heel gay spots instead of the rivalries... Danielson/Steen was one of the bigger matches in Steen's PWG career, and Danielson's first match back in a good long while, but they goofed around instead of acting like it was a big match. It just kinda killed the crowd.

I'm sure a lot of those matches would be fun if watched in a vacuum -- I really liked Rocky/TJ and Tornado/Cabana -- but I just didn't like the way it held together as a show.

A lot of us share that sentiment that because virtually everyone decided to go the route of comedy that night it kind of gave the show an unbalanced feel. Stand-alone matches - great, but combined - kind of unusual.
WannaB

Postby TheZeroMan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:51 pm

SenimSilla wrote:I thought (Please Don't Call It) The OC was a pretty good show. Rocky/TJ was really good, Aries/Sabin was fun, the SkyJoey/B-BoyFrankie tag match was fine, Danielson/Steen had a good mix of comedy and wrestling, the 6 man saw Bino get killed, Tornado/Colt was a good comedy match, and the main event was good. Then again, I tend to enjoy the shows that people here don't like that much.

I purchased it recently and must say I enjoyed it quite a bit.
TheZeroMan

Postby TheZeroMan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Why did Super Dragon have a chainsaw?
TheZeroMan

Postby Zwarrior2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:06 pm

TheZeroMan wrote:Why did Super Dragon have a chainsaw?

Because when he's not wrestling he's a lumberjack.
Zwarrior2

Postby WannaB » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 pm

At ASW4...?

Because he's Super Dragon, and he's a crazy mofo.
WannaB

Postby Vinniejames » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:43 am

I think (Don't Call It) The OC has a special place in my heart because it was not only my first PWG show but my first live wrestling show ever. I had been watching WWE, TNA, and WCW for years and I decided to attend, knowing very little about the roster or the promotion, on recommendation from a friend who doesn't even live on the West Coast. Go figure. Parking was bad but the show was great and the promos there helped me to get a feel for the characters. I met Colt, Joey and others that night and it was really fun live. I think if anything were to kill the show for me it would have been the annoying ladies in front of me constantly commenting on how hot the wrestlers were. They were definitely ogling Rocky and just being obnoxious. Oh well, they paid for their tickets so they have a right I guess.
Vinniejames

Postby El Asian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:32 am

the real question is why doesn't Super Dragon have a chainsaw?
El Asian

Postby Evilguest » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:48 am

Vinniejames wrote: I think if anything were to kill the show for me it would have been the annoying ladies in front of me constantly commenting on how hot the wrestlers were. They were definitely ogling Rocky and just being obnoxious.

Sorry I'll keep it down next time. :lol: Just kidding, that wasn't me, however I do feel your pain. At one show I was in front of these guys who kept talking crap about how fat all the girls at the show where and how Jade needs implants. :roll: I wanted to hit them sooooooooooooo bad.
Evilguest

Postby TheZeroMan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:18 pm

El Asian wrote:

the real question is why doesn't Super Dragon have a chainsaw?

That is actually a much better question.
TheZeroMan

Postby Benjamin Tomas » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm

shyboy13 wrote:In one of the older PWG shows, Puma lost his mask to, I think, Ricky Reyes. He then later started showing up with his mask again until he was ultimately demasked by Davey Richards. Was there any mention of why he started wearing his mask again or did he just keep wearing it because everyone already knew who he was anyway.

I might be wrong on this, but I believe that after Puma lost his mask in PWG, he was getting airtime wrestling as Puma on TNA. I'd guess he started using the mask in PWG again as a way of capitalizing on the name-recognition value of being on Television. Puma had been in TNA's international tournament, and was power bombed by Nash on PPV.
Benjamin Tomas

Postby JustJay » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:28 pm

Vinniejames wrote:I believe Tigers Mask is named after the Hanshin Tigers baseball team in Japan and has no affiliation with Tiger Mask. Anyone back me up on this?

You are correct sir.

Tigers' Mask was (and still is) one of the top stars of Osaka Pro Wrestling, although he's toned down the "baseball" aspect of his gimmick recently. He's a really strong junior wrestler there who doesn't get much attention because of OPW's low TV profile in Japan.

Black Tigers was, as stated earlier, Jeremy Lopez. He was NOT a TWA student but rather a Dean Malenko student out of Florida. He was one of the bigger stars in NWA Wildside at the turn of the decade, winning their Jr. Heavyweight title twice. He then did a very long tour of Osaka Pro under the Black Tigers gimmick in 2003, with the company hoping they could mimic the Tiger Mask/Black Tiger feud in New Japan. It didn't really pan out, although Lopez later did an All Japan tour under that gimmick as well. He also appeared on some of the earliest ROH shows in 2002. After all that he moved to Texas and other than an appearance in the 2004 Peterson Cup, he pretty much dropped off the map.

They were both part of the Osaka Pro contingent that came over to the West Coast (along with Ebessan, Kuishinbo Kamen and the freelance Tokyo GU-REN-TAI) and PWG put together 88MPH on not too much notice to capitalize on them being around...and it's still my favorite PWG show from the early era. Keep in mind that in early 2004, that much Japanese talent on a card was considered a pretty big deal in the indy wrestling world. (ROH had only a few months before done their biggest attendance ever - and it might still be one of their biggest ever - with the AJPW talent at Final Battle 2003).

There is your Pointless Wrestling Knowledge for April 27th, 2008
JustJay

Postby SenimSilla » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Pimpin' in High Places, not a great show wrestling-wise, but the commentary is hysterical. Question, though, during the Joey/Punk/Kazarian vs. Pearce/Dragon/Cabana match, why was Dragon avoiding Punk the whole time?
SenimSilla

Postby onlxn » Thu May 01, 2008 7:55 am

Basically just to get the fans interested in an eventual SD/Punk singles match, I think... pretty sure they hadn't interacted in PWG before that (as it was only Punk's second show).
onlxn

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum