The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: Show Reccomendations

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:43 am

GhostMan4 wrote:Im new to PWG, All I have is BOLA 2006. I need a reccomendation of 2 Show's outside from BOLA 2007 which I plan on getting next, Thanks for any help.

I'd recommend Giant Size Annual # 4, Based on a True Story and when it is available ASW 6.
Dr.Gonzo

Re: The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Postby SenimSilla » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 pm

I'd pass on Giant-Size Annual #4, because I think there are better shows from top-to-bottom available. Holy Diver Down and Based on a True Story are two awesome shows.
SenimSilla

Re: Show Reccomendations

Postby npdavis » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:27 pm

GhostMan4 wrote:Im new to PWG, All I have is BOLA 2006. I need a reccomendation of 2 Show's outside from BOLA 2007 which I plan on getting next, Thanks for any help.

Any of the All Star Weekends are awesome. Hollywood Globetrotters, Zombies Shouldn't Run, Astonishing X-Mas, Threemendous and the DDT4 are worth watching.
npdavis

Postby LunchBoX » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:56 pm

SenimSilla wrote:I'd pass on Giant-Size Annual #4, because I think there are better shows from top-to-bottom available. Holy Diver Down and Based on a True Story are two awesome shows.

I have to agree with you. Ive watched Holy Diver Down probably 10 times.

I really like Guitarmageddon II: Armoryageddon from the earlier 2007 shows. Especially the main event of that show.
LunchBoX

Postby GhostMan4 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:29 pm

LunchBoX wrote:
SenimSilla wrote:I'd pass on Giant-Size Annual #4, because I think there are better shows from top-to-bottom available. Holy Diver Down and Based on a True Story are two awesome shows.

I really like Guitarmageddon II: Armoryageddon from the earlier 2007 shows. Especially the main event of that show.

Isnt Holy Driver Down where Generico won The PWG Title?
GhostMan4

Postby LunchBoX » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:37 pm

GhostMan4 wrote:
LunchBoX wrote:

Isnt Holy Driver Down where Generico won The PWG Title?

Yes sir.

It also has that awesome MCMG vs Arrogance match.
LunchBoX

Postby MatRykiel » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:55 pm

I was just wondering what shows from 2005 I should pick up-I already have BOLA 2005,ASW I and II and Astonishing X-Mas!!I have every show from 2006 and 2007 so trying to relive some of PWG's past.
MatRykiel

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:18 pm

From 2005 I'd recommend:

All Nude Revue: One of my favorite 2005 shows. It features excellent matches like Super Dragon Vs. Samoa Joe 2, AXP Vs. Arrogance 2 and has the PWG Debuts of Alex Shelley and Roderick Strong.

Zombies Shouldn't Run: One of PWG's best shows up to that point. SD Vs. Quicksilver is awesome, as is Arrogance Vs. Generico/Tornado. Davey Vs. Rocky and Steen Vs. AJ are pretty good as well. The show also features the PWG debut of Claudio Castagnoli, who has a fun match with Joey Ryan.

Both 2-Year shows: featuring The AXP Vs. Arrogance in the 2005 SoCal Match of the year, a brutal Steen Vs. SD match, some real good elimination tags, CM Punk's last PWG match, a fairly star studded 3-way with AJ Styles vs Chris Daniels vs James Gibson and a surprise appearance from WWE's Frankie Kazarian (who would return a month later, but it was a cool moment at the time).

After School Special: Very underrated show that is worth checking out. It features the beginning of the Super Dragon/Davey Richards tag team and a really good Bosh vs. Steen match.
TigerDriver98

Postby MatRykiel » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks Tiger Driver 98...if they're are any worthy shows from '03 and '04 feel free to recommend them.
MatRykiel

Postby npdavis » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Free Admission (Just Kidding) was pretty solid; I just watched that a couple of days ago and Super Dragon/Frankie is worth checking out as is Danielson/Lost. I've always heard amazing things about the Super Dragon/Joey Ironman match at UYI4 (?)
npdavis

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Free Admission is good for reasons mentioned above. Also it should be noted that there is no sound for the first three matches, now normally that would be a bad thing.... but not with Excalibur and Disco Machine in the booth. They really make the most out of the situation and do some hilarious commentary over the matches. The show also features the PWG debuts of Steen, Generico and Jack Evans. Who all have good showings.

A few more 2004 picks:

Reason For The Season - There is so much awesome stuff on this show. The big Kazarian/Pearce blowoff in a cage (better if you've seen the shows leading up to it though), a great tag with Samoa Joe/Ricky Reyes Vs. Danielson/Daniels, Super Dragon Vs. CM Punk in Punk's best match in PWG, AJ Vs. Romero in a match that stole the show. Probably the best PWG show of 2004.

Use Your Illusion 3: This is one of my favorite PWG shows. SD/B-Boy Vs. Arrogance is an awesome "big move" tag match. One of my favorite PWG tags ever. Bobby Quance (in his last match) Vs. Daniels was very good, Samoa Joe Vs. Joey Ryan is fun (Joe kills Joey repeatedly but Joey keeps coming back) and everything else is solid... except for the opener... that match is god awful.

Uncanny X-Mas is one of the better overall PWG DVDs. A very stacked card for the time. Plus Colt Cabana sits in with Excalibur and Disco Machine on commentary and the DVD has a funny 18 minute promo block.

Use Your Illusion 4: The Iron Man Match from this show is my favorite PWG match ever. The CHIKARA Tag, AXP vs. Arrogance and Kazarian Vs. Reyes aren't bad either, but the main reason to get this show would be the Iron Man match.

2003... eh I'll just quickly run down the whole year:

Debut: Wrestling wise, this is the worst PWG show ever. But man, I love the commentary on the DVD. Hilarious stuff. It's worth it just for that.

BAM3K: Good shows overall, as PWG crowned it's first champion. The stand out match has to be Super Dragon Vs. Joey Ryan, which was PWG's first great match. Also features the infamous Joey Ryan shoot interview as an extra.

AYAPTR?: Classic show. This DVD is a must for any PWG fan I think. Lots of good matches (SD/B-Boy Vs. The Briscoes and Frankie Vs. AJ Vs. Daniels stand out) and another funny commentary track. Plus a great block of promos as an extra (PLEASE do more of these PWG!).

An Inch Longer Than Average: Another good older show. Probably best known for the first ever Guerrilla Warfare match between Joey Ryan Vs. Super Dragon. Also has a good main event with Kazarian Vs. Danielson, plus the PWG debuts of CM Punk and Samoa Joe. Good commentary track (recorded at 4 am!) and extras too.

Pimpin In High Places: 6-Man Main Event is really good, AXP Vs. Havana Pitbulls nearly steals the show, Joe Vs. BJ Whitmer is must see just for a fan's merciless taunting of BJ Whitmer during the match. Excalibur Vs. Bosh is good, and has a great aftermath which kicked off the AXP Deluxe Vs. PWG Owners feud. Also features Excalibur's famous "99 Problems" promo.
TigerDriver98

Postby SenimSilla » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Excalibur telling the story of Tard Boy (I believe) explaining how to do the People's Elbow was one of the greatest things ever. "Jiggy, jiggy, jiggy, boom."
SenimSilla

Postby npdavis » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:48 pm

In general, Disco & Excalibur are amazing on the mic. They walk that fine line of actually getting the match over and lightening the mood. My favorite moment of theirs is still the match that SDDR won the titles at against 2 Skinny Black Guys. When Tornado goes for the tope suicida and crashes and burns, and there is the tall black man in the audience with the basketball.

"And now, SHAQUILLE O'NEAL in the crowd. With a basketball! He never leaves home without one!"
npdavis

Postby K-Federation » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:58 am

So far, my PWG collection consists of Based on a True Story, Holy Diver Down, Giant Size Annual #4, and BOLA 2007, all of which other than GSA4 arrived just now. Obviously, I'm looking to increase it, so my question is. Can someone give a couple good recent shows and a couple good olden shows? Thanks.
K-Federation

Postby WannaB » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:06 am

K-Federation wrote:So far, my PWG collection consists of Based on a True Story, Holy Diver Down, Giant Size Annual #4, and BOLA 2007, all of which other than GSA4 arrived just now. Obviously, I'm looking to increase it, so my question is. Can someone give a couple good recent shows and a couple good olden shows? Thanks.

Recent shows... All Star Weekend 6.

Old shows... any previous ASW, or BOLA. Enchantment Under The Sea, Threemendous, Hollywood Globetrotters, Beyond The Thunderdome, 88 Miles Per Hour, The Musical, Reason For The Season, etc...
WannaB

Postby supersonic » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 am

I have a question regarding Giant Size Annual #4.

Could I have it in the Buy 5 Get 1 Free deal if it's one of the DVDs that I'm paying for?
supersonic

Postby SenimSilla » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:21 pm

It says not available in any special deals, so I'd say no.
SenimSilla

Postby supersonic » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:37 pm

Okay well for my first order (besides The Musical which I got ages ago and only watched once) I got:

- BOLA 2006 and 2007
- the four newest AVAILABLE shows
- DDT4 Night 1
- ASW 5 Night 1
- Fourth Anniversary Show (in a separate order)

I consider this to be PWG's one chance to really impress me, as I've spent almost $150 on their product. If they fail, I'll stick to ROH.
supersonic

Postby WannaB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:49 pm

supersonic wrote:Okay well for my first order (besides The Musical which I got ages ago and only watched once) I got:

- BOLA 2006 and 2007
- the four newest AVAILABLE shows
- DDT4 Night 1
- ASW 5 Night 1
- Fourth Anniversary Show (in a separate order)

I consider this to be PWG's one chance to really impress me, as I've spent almost $150 on their product. If they fail, I'll stick to ROH.

You won't be dissapointed. Those are all pretty amazing shows. You can't go wrong with ay BOLA or anniversary show. Plus DDT4 night 1 had the Cima/Danielson match which a lot of people point to as match of the year... I think you'll also enjoy the comedy of Stalker Ichikawa Z. And ASW5 was great... as was ASW6.
WannaB

Postby darkwolf22 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:40 pm

ok so i have had some experience with PWG, i have all star weekend 1 nights 1 and 2, all star weekend 2 nights 1 and 2, and BOLA 2005

my question is im obviously WAYY behind but what shows should i definatly get. i am a big fan of what ive seen so far and have heard things about certain shows and matches here and there but i thought it would be smarter to ask the masses of ppl that actually go to the shows an buy the dvd's. i want at least 10-12 dvd's for now

also is the buy 10 get 2 free still active i remember seeing it when i orginal got the all star weekend shows and BOLA 05

thanks for any help
darkwolf22

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum