Spider Man 3

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Did you like Spider Man 3?

It was wicked cool!
33%
It sucked ass.
67%

Total votes : 6

Spider Man 3

Postby CheMateo » Wed May 09, 2007 9:07 am

Anyone else see it yet. I thought it was really bad. The worst of the series. But yet due to its record breaking haul over the weekend, some insane figure like 148 million, Sony exec Michael Lynton has confirmed that there will be three more Spider Man movies. Hopefully with a new director and cast.

I was thinking for MJ they could use Rachel McAdams. Anyone else but Kirsten Dunst she looks like an old bag sometimes.

The movie itself was boring at times with the action sequences being too short. I didn't like how the symbiote story was told at all. I thought at least JJ's son was going to bring it back with him from space. Second the symbiote is supposed to make Parker more dark and physically aggressive. Instead he is a cocky dancing fool. While it was funny to see him dance it felt stupid and pointless. Not to mention his absurd emo look.

Sandman was visually impressive, but he kept flopping between being a bad guy and good guy . Not to mention there is no real type of conclusion to his character.

Venom got what felt like only four minutes of screen time and more often than not the mask kept coming off and showing Topher's face. Topher is as menacing as a banana.

Anyone else enjoy the movie? Or wants to share some more problems with the movie that I left out.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Wed May 09, 2007 10:29 am

I actually thought it was the best of the series, though that isn't saying much.

I could overlook the super-experimental OUTDOOR particle testing facility thats only secured by a simple length of chain-link fence. I could overlook the worst butler in the world, as well as his horrible acting. I could even overlook the convenient albeit completely unnecessary amnesia. What I couldn't overlook was the horrid 10-20 minute sequence of Tobey Maguire trying to act all badass. For the first few minutes where he's walking down the street catching glances from women, and when he's making demands to Jameson at the Bugle... yeah, sure it was funny. But when he started strutting in a G*d-awful Saturday Night Fever homage, dancing, and even the completely pointless sequence in the Jazz club which oddly enough reminded me of the Jazz club sequence from Anchorman because it was so absurd.

Aside from all that, the best acting in the film came from the villains, specifically Thomas Hayden Church. The action sequences were really well done, and they were in abundance when compared to the 2 previous films. Although there was far less Venom than would've been liked. It seems kind of odd that arguably the most infamous and popular villain of the franchise had about 15 culmulative minutes of screentime.

Everything else was tolerable. The camp was much more enjoyable sans aforementioned "badass" sequence. Bruce Campbell's part was a lot more entertaining, and a hell of a lot funnier this time around.

I think a lot of things in this film worked. It was still pretty campy, limited in it's dramatic depth, and there were things that can easily be forgiven while others not so much. Regardless, Spider-man 3 is easily the most action packed of the trilogy.

I'm hoping that the team of Raimi, Maguire, and Dunst call it quits with this film as there doesn't really seem to be anywhere else to take "there" story. It would probably be best to go out with the closure that is offered by this film, and to not let the series became stale and stagnant while on their watch. I would love to see them try passing off the franchise to a new team. Let a new director and group of actors come in for their own trilogies and nothing more. It would keep things fresh. It would certainly be easier to sign people on for 3 films rather than playing the contracts by ear like the Batman franchise of former years. And unlike the bond franchise, the replacement actors could be regularly scheduled and expected events.

Also, the rumor mill is already churning. Speculation that Mandy Moore is the studio's prime choice to replace Dunst if she doesn't reprise her role as Mary Jane Watson, and speculation that The Lizard & Carnage are the tentatively slated villains.
WannaB

Postby Slappy » Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 am

I really enjoyed it. It was fun, never dragged and I preffered more storyline to the action sequences (which when they were there, they were pretty spectacular) The 3 enemies were well intergrated in the storyline. For the record, I use to watch the old cartoon series, but never really read the comics.

For criticisms, Sandman was never really a bad guy. He made mistakes in trying to help out his daughter and was only protecting himself from Spiderman. At the end Venom manipulated Sandman into going against Spiderman.

Venom was great in the role he was, I agree that he could've had a bit more time, but not dedicate the whole film to him. He's a bit of a one dimensional character and Spiderman being beaten up the whole film by Venom only to win at the end would've got tired pretty easily

Agreed on Mary Jane, Dunst didnt need to sing at all. I thought she was quite the bitch in the film as well.

I did enjoy the emo look greatly, it brought back memories of A Night at the Roxbury - I love that film.

Only thing I didnt like was the Butler going - Oh it was his own blade. Whoops couldnt you have said that earlier?

But yeah I really enjoyed the film. The people that do hate it, how big a fan of the Spiderman comics are you?
Slappy

Postby CheMateo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:16 am

WannaB wrote:Speculation that Mandy Moore is the studio's prime choice to replace Dunst if she doesn't reprise her role as Mary Jane Watson, and speculation that The Lizard & Carnage are the tentatively slated villains.
I can live with Mandy Moore. It would be neat to see Doc Connors finally transform into the Lizard. But Carnage, how are they going to explain that one. Maybe it spawned from that small sample Doc Connors had? Or maybe they're going to just reboot the series like Batman. I also thought this was the best Bruce Campbell appearance. I was disappointed in his first two appearances.

I also like the idea of changing up the cast every few films like the Bond series. Keeps it fresh and exciting.

slappy wrote:I did enjoy the emo look greatly, it brought back memories of A Night at the Roxbury - I love that film.

Was the eye liner really necessary? I could understand if his hair was dishelved in a more subtle manner.

[quote=]The people that do hate it, how big a fan of the Spiderman comics are you?[/quote]I was an equal fan of the comics and cartoon. In fact I have the entire FOX cartoon series on DVD. I can understand liberties taken with movie adaptations but I just thought it sucked in translation to the big screen. Perhaps if the rumors are true that Raimi didn't like the symbiote storyline then that could have a hand in its poor translation.
CheMateo

Postby Slappy » Wed May 09, 2007 11:22 am

I got told that Raimi himself made up that rumour, so that people would be guessing about the villians in the third film.
Slappy

Postby CheMateo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:29 am

Slappy wrote:For criticisms, Sandman was never really a bad guy. He made mistakes in trying to help out his daughter and was only protecting himself from Spiderman.
True he was more of a tweener but he still committed crimes. And he wasn't even apprehended for them instead he just flew away.

Slappy wrote:I got told that Raimi himself made up that rumour, so that people would be guessing about the villians in the third film.

Yeah I've heard both but of course we never know what is entirely true, unless he states it somewhere in an interview.
CheMateo

Postby Peace » Wed May 09, 2007 11:45 am

It sucked.
Peace

Postby CheMateo » Wed May 09, 2007 12:12 pm

Apparently now George Lucas has unkind words for the movie,

It's a silly movie. ... There just isn't much there. Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there?"

Over the weekend, Spider-Man 3 surged ahead of Lucas's Star Wars' episode Revenge of the Sith to take the record for the biggest weekend box-office record. Star Wars was also criticized as being "silly," Lucas noted. "But it wasn't."

...If that's not the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.
CheMateo

Postby Slappy » Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 pm

What a goon. Like his recent films have been any good?

Each of the 3 bad guys have their own story, while Pete battles with his demons. I thought the story was incredibly woven together.

Spiderman films > Star Wars films
Slappy

Postby WannaB » Wed May 09, 2007 4:48 pm

Slappy wrote:What a goon. Like his recent films have been any good?

Each of the 3 bad guys have their own story, while Pete battles with his demons. I thought the story was incredibly woven together.

Spiderman films > Star Wars films

Correction sir, Spiderman films > NEW Star Wars films
WannaB

Return to General Discussion