Joey Ryan causes a riot.

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Joey Ryan causes a riot.

Postby CheMateo » Tue May 01, 2007 8:55 am

Well apparently last Friday Joey Ryan help start what is said to be a crazy riot in Houston at an NWA Pro show. Sounded like fun, I wish I could've been there. Here is the report:

It's not everyday that wrestlers can generate enough crowd heat to cause hundreds of kids to riot at a pro wrestling show. Before the semi-main event match, trash, bottles, dirt, and various forms of debris covered the ring at the NWA Pro show on a hot Friday night in Houston after Joey Ryan, Karl "Machine Gun" Anderson, and C. Edward Vander Pyle incensed the predominantly Hispanic crowd by telling them to leave the country and return to Mexico. This came before their scheduled match against Ultimo Dragon and T.J. Perkins (Puma).

Adults erupted into a loud chorus of boos and shouted at the few security guards on hand that they were personally insulted by the wrestlers. Kids then filled the ring and jumped on the turnbuckles as referees and security tried to clear the ring. An adult male grabbed an American flag brought to the ring by Anderson and ran around the ringside area until security pulled him aside. One quick glance toward the stage above the arena showed Houston police department officers simply sitting in a chair, even after the wrestlers warned each officer ahead of time that things could get out of control in a hurry. Their explanation was that they could only act if they saw someone breaking the law.

With minimal security, hundreds of pounds of dirt surrounding the ring to turn the venue into a virtual playground, and no guardrails, the scene was chaotic to say the least. The raw heat in the venue was unlike anything I had ever seen before at a wrestling show. The match was then cancelled by building management. After the show, Ultimo Dragon was telling wrestlers that he had never seen a match cancelled before during his entire career.

Before the match was officially cancelled, Joey, Anderson, and Vander Pyle left the ring to seek shelter. Ultimo Dragon and T.J. tried to sign autographs in the ring to calm the fans down, but even the babyfaces were nailed by dirt and debris. Sitting ringside, my only damage was being covered in dirt as rocks flew by my shoulder toward the ring.
CheMateo

Postby Slappy » Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 am

Wow I wondered if it was taped. From described thats got to be a crazy visual.
Slappy

Postby Meltman » Tue May 01, 2007 10:49 am

PWG should take advantage and book the same match on one of their own upcoming shows.
Meltman

Postby WannaB » Tue May 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Meltman wrote:PWG should take advantage and book the same match on one of their own upcoming shows.

No.

Vastly different audiences. PWG crowd of about 400 vs. Texas Hicks & a TON of Latinos numbering 4500.

Anyone who attends PWG shows and heard about this incident are unlikely to replicate the reaction. Worse things have been said in PWG and riots have never happened because those who may have been offended have more self-control, and are more mature... literally; it was mostly kids who stormed the ring anyway.

Besides... it's best if PWG not try to replicate or borrow angles & feuds of other promotions.
WannaB

Postby Baaggh?! » Tue May 01, 2007 1:09 pm

When I read the report I thought it was AWESOME. I would have loved to see it, and hope that there is footage of it, AND that the footage is released.

Much worse has been said at PWG shows. (mostly from the likes of Joey and the Dynasty) I'm very grateful of the fact that PWG fans have much more restraint, and can see the comments for what they are.
Some of my favorite PWG moments are these comments. I think it makes it even funnier when people DON'T react to them.
-ASW 5 Bosh repeatedly called a fan a JEW...it was fucking hilarious. Even the fan it was directed at got a kick out of it.
-Joey has stopped just short of using slurs to describe Tornado. During a promo Joey cut right before a match between the two, Joey told Tornado he was going to own him like it was the 1800's. During another one of Joeys promos (in response to Tornado stealing the belt from Joey) he said "that's the only way YOU PEOPLE get things"

No riots have started as a result of any of this stuff. Its all great, high quality entertainment. :wink:

Big ups to Joey and Machine gun for generating such heat that people (even if it was mostly the kids) actually RIOTED.

on a side note: Does anyone think this might have happened due to the upcoming Immigration marches? It makes me wonder, had they said this any other time of year would it have generated such a massive response? I think the upcoming MayDay (may 1st...today actually.) stuff might have had people even more "sensitive" to the stuff they said. If so, very clever move on the part of the two.

one can only wonder, I guess.
Baaggh?!

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 pm

If someone insulted Italians at a PWG show, I'd start a one man riot. Other races I don't care for though.
SoCalAndy

Postby CheMateo » Tue May 01, 2007 10:02 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:If someone insulted Italians at a PWG show, I'd start a one man riot. Other races I don't care for though.
Oh why thank you for your solidarity brother. You wouldn't stick up for Polish or Ukrainians? Ukraine isn't what it used to be.
CheMateo

Return to General Discussion