Wrestlers Investigated In Steroid Case

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Wrestlers Investigated In Steroid Case

Postby WannaB » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:53 am

Pro wrestlers latest linked to US internet steroid case

AFP
March 20, 2007
NEW YORK (AFP)
- Eleven professional wrestlers have reportedly been linked in documents to the internet drug distribution ring that has produced charges against 20 people.

In a web site posting, Sports Illustrated magazine said investigators uncovered the names while sorting through information seized in raids last month on Florida firms allegedly prescribing steroids and human growth hormone over the internet.

Several Major League Baseball players, boxer Evander Holyfield and others have been linked to the scheme, most issuing strong denials in response to reports that surfaced in the wake of the raids.

Arizona doctor David Wilbirt, the magazine reported, was investigated from 2001 to 2005 for allegedly writing 3,879 prescriptions to patients over the internet, some from the pro wrestling ranks and better known by stage names.

Kurt Angle, a 1996 Olympic champion freestyle wrestler, allegedly received prescriptions for trenbolone and nandrolone in 2004 and 2005.

Wilbirt was billed for the steroid stanozolol and another drug sent to pro wrestling star Eddie Guerrero, who died in 2005 from what a coroner said was heart disease complicated by the use of anabolic steroids.

Oscar Gutierrez also allegedly received prescriptions for Wilbirt for steroids stanozolol and nandrolone while Shane Helms and Adam Copeland received human growth hormone, Sports Illustrated reported.

Wrestler Randy Orton, who allegedly received prescriptions for six different drugs from the same two doctors whose names are linked to prescriptions for Los Angeles Angels outfielder Gary Matthews.

Wilbirt, whose medical license has been suspended, told the magazine, "I don't remember half the stuff you are talking about" and added "they had done blood work and had laboratory work done and they had come to see me."

Investigators are expected to deliver names of athletes who appear in the documents they uncover to sports leagues as early as next week, although the main focus of the probe is eliminating distributors not chasing customers.
WannaB

Postby tankillo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:59 pm

if you got a broken neck, a torn acl, a torn bicep, a ripped lat, quad, etc. they are going to perscribe you some steriods.
tankillo

Postby WannaB » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 am

No shit Sherlock. I'm just posting the story, because I thought it was something that people would be interested in. I'm not saying that these wrestlers necessarily did anything wrong, but we don't know if they were or weren't abusing steroids, or receiving illegal prescriptions, so don't get all defensive because you don't know the truth of the matter any more than the rest of us.
WannaB

Postby tankillo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:13 am

goddamn, are you always pmsing? reread my post. not one ounce of it was directed at you.
tankillo

Postby WannaB » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Your initial post comes off as very matter-of-fact.

And again, you're responding to shit that was never even implied. I didn't suggest you were directing anything at me, only that you were becoming defensive of the aforementioned wrestlers & athletes regardless of who writes about them or mentions them.
WannaB

Postby tankillo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:35 am

the story is very biased and overall negative. we are to assume that steriod use is wrong, in its entirety, otherwise, why would there be a buzz around it. i recently read a shane helms piece that says he used prescribed steriods for a knee recovery
tankillo

Return to General Discussion