Bret Hart's final WCW days

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Bret Hart's final WCW days

Postby CheMateo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:19 pm

I've been thinking about Bret Hart lately and I didn't follow the final run of his career after Montreal. I wasn't really watching WCW when Bret came aboard. But I always heard that they used him very poorly. What I wanted to know was how did Bret's career basically come to an end, was it really due to a kick from Goldberg.

Did they ever follow this up with an angle between the two? Was that match Bret's last? Was he bitter about it? What about his contract, I remember Nash mentioning something like Bret was going to be getting 2 million a year, did Bret at least get some proper compensation for all his hard work and contributions?
CheMateo

Postby The_Icon » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:16 am

well they stuck him in a crap ass stable that had run its course years before it re-incarnated(nWo silver) and made him a heel...

they gave him really poor feuds and angles and really didn't push him like the star he was...

# December 19, 1999 - Starrcade: Bret Hart defeated Bill Goldberg to retain the World Heavyweight title..
# ~~~Bret Hart suffered THREE CONCUSSIONS after Goldberg kicked Hart in the head with a stiff boot..
# ~~~This caused Bret to have Post Concussion Syndrome, and it is ultimately what ended his career..

January 10, 2000 - Nitro: Bret Hart defeated Kevin Nash to retain the World Heavyweight title..
that was his last match ever

He has gone on to say he isn't bitter about the accident and has accepted goldbergs apology and to this day still talks to him. He just said, "things happen. It was an accident that could have happened to anyone. I didn't get my hands up in time to block the kick and got hit behind my ear(not exact quote but close to it)"

He retired from pro wrestling in January of 2001
The_Icon

Postby PWG-G-G-Unit! » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:07 pm

Bret Hart's career ended in November of '97.
PWG-G-G-Unit!

Postby JustJay » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:57 pm

The_Icon wrote: # December 19, 1999 - Starrcade: Bret Hart defeated Bill Goldberg to retain the World Heavyweight title..
# ~~~Bret Hart suffered THREE CONCUSSIONS after Goldberg kicked Hart in the head with a stiff boot..
# ~~~This caused Bret to have Post Concussion Syndrome, and it is ultimately what ended his career..

I'm not entirely sure this OWW tidbit is correct. The initial injury DID happen in the Goldberg match, but I think the multiple concussions occurred in a TV hardcore match he had with Terry Funk a few days later and THAT'S what made his health issues career-ending.
JustJay

Postby The_Icon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:44 pm

SuplexMonthlyJay wrote:
The_Icon wrote: # December 19, 1999 - Starrcade: Bret Hart defeated Bill Goldberg to retain the World Heavyweight title..

I'm not entirely sure this OWW tidbit is correct. The initial injury DID happen in the Goldberg match, but I think the multiple concussions occurred in a TV hardcore match he had with Terry Funk a few days later and THAT'S what made his health issues career-ending.

you are correct..

he suffered one in his match w/ bill

and 2 more or w/e w/ funk..
The_Icon

Postby PWG-Unit! » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:34 pm

He had one exc excellent IMO segment in WCW. It was where he claimed he could beat Goldberg. He came out in a hockey jersey and just took a spear. Then he got up with Goldberg knocked out and pulled out a metal plate he had strapped to his waist. It was classic.
PWG-Unit!

Return to General Discussion