25 Best Wrestlemania Matches

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

25 Best Wrestlemania Matches

Postby RoaringElbow » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 pm

With 25th WM(not the 25th anniversary, thatd be next year :roll: ) a few days away, I thought Id list what I see as the 25 Greatest WM Matches. Im just gonna put them in order of show for now. Ranking them would take some time.

III - Intercontinental Champion Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat - at the time, some considered it the greatest wrestling match ever.
III - WWF Champion Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant - Not a technical masterpiece, but really, is there any bigger moment?
VI - WWF Champion Hulk Hogan vs Intercontinental Champion Ultimate Warrior - I loved this match as a kid, and still get goosebumps when I watch it now.
VII - Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior(Career Ending Match) - The drama in this match started when Warrior WALKED to the ring and kept increasing until the Savage/Liz embrace afterwards
VIII - Intercontinental Champion Roddy Piper vs Bret Hart - I haven't ever really been a fan of Pip's work, but these two made the "I remember when you were this big" rivalry work
VIII - WWF Champion Ric Flair vs Randy Savage - I cannot believe this match wasn't the Main Event of that show.
X - Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - This started Owen's career, and gave Bret's a new level of legitimacy when they started their fued.
X - Intercontinental Champion Razor Ramon vs Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels(Ladder Match) - One of only 2 WM matches to be given 5 Stars. Everyone has seen this match, and everyone has loved it.
XII - WWF Champion Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels(IronMan Match) - When you think all-time classic wrestling matches, you think this match.
13 - Bret Hart vs Steve Austin(Submission Match) - I said I wouldn't rank them, but this match would be #1. It was given 5 stars only because it couldn't be given 6.
XIV - Undertaker vs Kane - Someone finally showed up that 'Out-Phenomed' the Phenom.
XIV - WWF Champion Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin - Austin had everyone in his corner, this was the start of one of the biggest booms in wrestling.
XSeven - Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit - Two of the the best workers to ever step into a ring, do it at one of the Biggest WMs ever, and tear the house down.
XSeven - World Tag Team Champions the Dudley Boys vs the Hardy Boys vs Edge and Christian(TLC Match) - Take your pick of which of the triple ladder matches to choose, the athleticism and risk taking in this match(and the others) is rarely equaled.
XSeven - WWF Champion The Rock vs Steve Austin(No DQ) - Was supposed to be Face vs Face match, but Austin's frustration compounded into a slow heel turn during the match, that brought everything an Attitude Era WWF Main Event should.
X8 - The Rock vs Hulk Hogan - Did anyone actually expect this match to be as good as it was? The match had no right to be that good, but those two were gold.
XIX - Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels - Mr. WM returns to the grandest stage with a surprisingly good match against a man who modeled his career after HBK.
XIX - WWE Champion Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar - The 2 most accomplished men in WWE history met in a classic that would have had it all, had Lesnar hit that Shooting Star.
XX - World Champion Triple H vs Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit - My personal favorite WM Moment. This match gets better everytime I see it.
21 - First Money in the Bank Ladder Match - After a few year hiatus from WM, the ladder match returned with a new concept. This was a match where everyone of them impressed and created a new tradition for WM.
21 - Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels - Two athletes giving everything they could to a match you never knew who would win.
22 - Edge vs Mick Foley - Maybe not quite the best hardcore match ever, but certainly the biggest.
22 - Shawn Michaels vs Vince McMahon - Think what you will about this match, and what you think about Vince McMahon in the ring, he took an ass beating that night that was different from anything else.
XXIV - Fourth Money in the Bank Ladder Match - The Best of the MITB matches put the 7 best athletes WWE had all into one match, and it was going to make the careers of one of them, if not all of them.
XXIV - Shawn Michaels vs Ric Flair(Career Threatening Match) - The sendoff worthy of only the Nature Boy.

Honorable Mentions: Hogan/Savage(V), Angle/Benoit/Jericho(2000), Triple Ladder Match(2000), Undertaker/HHH(X7), Undertaker/Batista(23)

Agree? Disagree?
RoaringElbow

Re: 25 Best Wrestlemania Matches

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:21 am

I fucking hated that Iron Man Match at 12, I remember I was there for it and it dragged on and on all for Bret to Get Screwed out of the title.....

At that one I think the Undertaker Match with Diesel was a whole lot better. Hell even the Ringmaster Debut was a lot more entertaining...lol

Hogan vs Rock was great, it was cheesy but it had some nostalgic moments to it which is what made it fun.

And the Bret Hart vs Austin match was fucking wikkid!!! And of course the Rock Austin Feud!!!

Now those were the days....

I still can't forget the day Hogan vs Andre happened at III I was still little but when I saw that happen it was like the world stood still just for that body slam. Electric, simply electric!!!
DjEn3rgy21

Postby RoaringElbow » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:29 pm

ive never been crazy about the ironman match either, but people will throw a pissy fit if it wasnt on there. I got in a really heated argument one time because someone was upset the Ironman match wasnt on Bret Hart's dvd release!
RoaringElbow

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:19 am

RoaringElbow wrote:ive never been crazy about the ironman match either, but people will throw a pissy fit if it wasnt on there. I got in a really heated argument one time because someone was upset the Ironman match wasnt on Bret Hart's dvd release!

I'm actually glad it wasn't, I still remember it got so slow and boring during that match we walked the entire arena from different gift corners just til they got to the last few minutes when it got interesting.

I remember we were all happy when Bret Locked the Sharpshooter on Shawn and then time ran out we were happy then we saw Vince go to the Ref and tell him to restart it that it would not end like that. We weren't happy because we believed Bret Out Lasted Shawn that night then the Super Kick Came in and it was over, a large majority was quiet and also booed when that happened. There were so many better matches he had though. So many more. They just want to hype that one up because it was before the Montreal Ass Rape they did on Bret and because Shawn is still active now.

Personally I don't like that match one bit. And I"m a bit Hart Fan.

I'd rather watch the Bush Wackers greatest matches then watch that one again.
DjEn3rgy21

Return to General Discussion