PWI magazine

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

PWI magazine

Postby CheMateo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:56 pm

I have not come across an issue of Pro Wrestling Illustrated in I think five years. Has anyone come across them lately? Just for fun I wanted to pick up a copy of their PWI 500. Do they still publish that issue? The last PWI 500 I got was in 98. And with the collapse of the national wrestling scene I'm kind of curious to see how the magazine has changed.
CheMateo

Postby the-sXe-enigma » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 pm

the-sXe-enigma

Postby shyboy13 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:08 am

I have a subscription because it is almost impossible to find PWI in stores now a days. I have probably 80-90% of the issues since it began in 1979. The problem with the subscriptions is that they forget to send me approximately 1 out of 4 magazines but since I have nowhere else to get them they have me by the balls. I have not seen improvement in this respect since Oscar De La Hoya bought the magazine either.

To answer the questions though, the PWI 500 is still around. This year had many more international talent and more "name" indy talent than previous years. I believe this is because Mike Quackenbush has his hands in it. In fact, I would say that since Quackenbush as been part of PWI it has been much better. For the longest time they talked about wrestlers and feds that nobody has ever even heard of if they didnt live in the North East. I think Dave Meltzer's brother is also an writer for the mag.

They have historically seemed to ignore the West Coast but now you hear about PWG every once in a while.

The magazine is still kayfabe but now it is probably 1/2 kayfabe instead of 100% as opposed to years ago.

The magazine is probably 60% WWE, 25% TNA, 5% ROH, and 10% other.

The main rankings are pretty good as they rank guys in RAW, Smackdown, ECW, TNA, ROH, OVW, Mexico, Japan. They still rank the top singles and tag teams. The small print rankings really suck though as they rank feds that nobody has ever heard of. No Chikara, CZW, JAPW, PWG, IWA-MS, FIP, or even ECWA; like I said, they only rank feds that nobody has heard of or care about.

Once in a while you still get a story or interview by the fictitious Matt Brock.

Aside from this, the magazine is pretty similar to how it was 5 years ago. Hope this helps.
shyboy13

Postby CheMateo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:24 pm

the-sXe-enigma wrote:http://www.pwi-online.com/
Thanks but I was hoping to find it in newsstands.

I have a subscription because it is almost impossible to find PWI in stores now a days.The problem with the subscriptions is that they forget to send me approximately 1 out of 4 magazines but since I have nowhere else to get them they have me by the balls. I have not seen improvement in this respect since Oscar De La Hoya bought the magazine either.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm out of luck finding it in person. I didn't know Oscar De La Hoya bought it. That is news to me.
CheMateo

Postby shyboy13 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Yeah, Oscar bought the company that owns KO and Ring magazine. The company just so happens to own PWI too. The rumor is that Oscar purchased the boxing magazines so that he could give the fighters of Golden Boy Promtions preference in the rankings. Of course, this will never be verified so I dont even know why I'm mentioning it here.

If you are looking for a really good (relatively) impartial magazine that is from a smarks point of view I would recomend "Fighting Spirit." This magazine is from the UK and covers both the world MMA scene as well as the world (and of course indy) wrestling scene. It may be hard to find but it is definately worth checking out if you can get your hands on one. Perhaps you can request it from Barnes & Noble or something since that is where I get mine every month.
shyboy13

Postby CheMateo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:37 pm

shyboy13 wrote:If you are looking for a really good (relatively) impartial magazine that is from a smarks point of view I would recomend "Fighting Spirit." This magazine is from the UK and covers both the world MMA scene as well as the world (and of course indy) wrestling scene. It may be hard to find but it is definately worth checking out if you can get your hands on one. Perhaps you can request it from Barnes & Noble or something since that is where I get mine every month.
Interesting. I'll definitely look for it next time I stop by Barnes. Do you remember World of Wrestling (WOW), I think it was called that. It was the magazine Bill Apter formed once he left PWI. I bought a few issues. It was a pretty good publication back then and I was wondering if it is still around or did it fold?
CheMateo

Postby JAG » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm

CheMateo wrote:
shyboy13 wrote:If you are looking for a really good (relatively) impartial magazine that is from a smarks point of view I would recomend "Fighting Spirit." This magazine is from the UK and covers both the world MMA scene as well as the world (and of course indy) wrestling scene. It may be hard to find but it is definately worth checking out if you can get your hands on one. Perhaps you can request it from Barnes & Noble or something since that is where I get mine every month.
Interesting. I'll definitely look for it next time I stop by Barnes. Do you remember World of Wrestling (WOW), I think it was called that. It was the magazine Bill Apter formed once he left PWI. I bought a few issues. It was a pretty good publication back then and I was wondering if it is still around or did it fold?

WOW got bought out by PWI around 2001. I had a subscription to WOW and when they got bought out a PWI came in the mail one day.
JAG

Postby IndyMadman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:53 pm

WOW folded as soon as the internet wrestling sites took off. I think WOW ended around 2000 or so.

I always buy PWI Almanacs...

By the way, for you long time fans... picking up a few old PWIs from the 80's will most certainly entertain you. Reading the Kayfabe articles is classic... I picked up a few on ebay for a few dollars and it was pretty funny to read them.

I didn't know Brock was fake... who was he really?
IndyMadman

Postby JAG » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm

shyboy13 wrote:I have a subscription because it is almost impossible to find PWI in stores now a days. I have probably 80-90% of the issues since it began in 1979. The problem with the subscriptions is that they forget to send me approximately 1 out of 4 magazines but since I have nowhere else to get them they have me by the balls.

I had the same problem with my PWI subscription. When i cancelled they called and asked why. i told them i was unsatisfied with their service since i was missing issues. Not just random small issues, but big issues like year end reviews, 500, ect. the lady said that i could call when i missed an issue and they would send me the issue i didnt recieve. i told her i call bullshit because when i called before another (or maybe the same) lady told me they only credit my account, and refused to send me the muissed issue.

so now i check online to see when the new issue is out, then go to a local CVS, they are really good about stocking the issues, unlike other places like 7-11, or Rite Aid.
JAG

Postby LunchBoX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:06 am

PWI isn't worth it anymore to me, i never find anything interesting in there and its like 9$ per single issue.

Same with the wrestler too, which is a tiny bit better.
LunchBoX

Postby the-sXe-enigma » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:17 pm

what about pw torch?
the-sXe-enigma

Return to General Discussion