Bret Hart/Montreal screwjob

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Bret Hart/Montreal screwjob

Postby CheMateo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:46 pm

I can't believe it's been a little over ten years since the Montreal screw job. I was just wondering what some of you may think about it.

Do you feel Vince was right in doing what he did or wrong? Does anybody believe Bret screwed Bret? Was the Hitman being difficult and silly in not wanting to drop the title in Canada?

At the time I didn't have internet access and didn't stop by the torch etc or read dirtshirts. I basically read just PWI. More or less still a mark. So I thought it was odd when Michael Cole asked Vince who was going to win. I actually liked the match. But I was shocked to see Hebner call for the bell when Bret clearly did not give up. I also wondered why Hebner fell out of the ring and Shawn was whisked to the back without any celebration.

I had no clue Vince could not afford to pay Bret and let him negotiate with WCW. I only found about all this through that documentary Wrestling with Shadows.

I honestly think that Bret wouldn't have trashed the belt in WCW. He would've given it up the next night on Raw. Bret always struck me as a trustworthy fellow.
CheMateo

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:23 pm

I think that Bret was totally wrong. It's wrestling, you lose when are told to lose. If the show was actually in Bret's hometown, I could see him not wanting to lose. But refusing to lose in CANADA as a whole was very selfish in my opinion. That's like an American wrestler from Los Angeles refusing to lose in Chicago "because I am a hero in America"
TigerDriver98

Postby LugerFan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 pm

I agree with Tiger Driver that Bret was wrong. There's a chance he may have dropped the belt on Raw but there is also a chance he may not have. At that time Vince and Bischoff were in the middle of a very rough battle and Vince thought he may lose everything. If Bret had decided to not drop the title and went to WCW where he trashed the belt that could have helped end WWF. However, what if instead of screwing Bret out of the belt in Montreal if they had instead waited until Raw the next night 8) to screw him? 8)
LugerFan

Postby shyboy13 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:36 am

I totally agree with LugerFan (and Tigerdriver98 as well) on this one. I think Bret was totally wrong because wrestling is not a legitimate competition and it is not up to him to decide if he wants to win or lose. In fact, I have never heard a good argument for Bret. At least not a logical argument as Bret supporters are generally filled with emotion instead of logic.

Imagine if every wrestler decided who got to win and who got to lose. There would be no wrestling because nobody would ever want to lose.

Over the weekend I heard a funny quote from Honkey Tonk Man that said something like: "Bret thinks he won the damn belt...The promoter gave you the belt." It was really funny in my opinion.
shyboy13

Postby Slappy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 am

shyboy13 wrote:Imagine if every wrestler decided who got to win and who got to lose. There would be no wrestling because nobody would ever want to lose.

This is one of the many reasons we wont see Hogan vs Austin.

I feel sorry for Bret though, at least he was going to drop the belt and not lose his smile like other unprofessionals. Not wanting to drop the belt in Canada isn't such a high demand when you compare it to other wrestlers demands in the past (although I'm not condoning Bret's)

Although anyway I dont think Bret would've trashed the belt. Vince should have had some faith with a wrestler who he had known for over 10 years and that had helped Vince through some rough patches.

What has been worse is the WWE's continual bringing up the event in past storylines. Like the Hogan/HBK match that seemed to include the Hitman in the build up. I'm glad with the 10th anniversary of the event it wasn't brought up again.
Slappy

Postby WannaB » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:21 am

In all fairness Bret's contract did grant him creative control over his person for the last... 30 days I think it was... of his contract.

There was also Bret's moral objections. I can understand that he didn't like the direction wrestling was going in and that having all the top guys being anti-heroes, and "degenerates," and so forth. But as far as Bret was concerned there was no one whose character was noble enough to hand the belt over to.

I think Bret should've been less selfish in regards to the belt. As mentioned "he thinks he won the damn belt." If he didn't have the title at the time, I can understand not wanting to lose to someone like Michaels, but he had it & he should've done what was in the best interest of the company.

At the same time, McMahon's methods were both desperate and underhanded. Although it was Vince who decided to prematurely end Bret's contract. He was only 1 year into a new 12 year contract.

I think the whole situation could have been avoided in any number of ways. No one was really 100% at fault, as it was a clusterfuck of mistakes and bad moves all around.
WannaB

Postby LunchBoX » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:46 am

Bret was wrong, despite having his last 30 days as his, i think its he should have did the job. Vince went out and got Bret a Multi-Million Dollar contract in his rival company. If Bret loved WWE im sure he would have taken a pay cut. Bret just seems like a twat, he blames everything on the Screwjob when he was just a asshole about this after he left.

Hes also a primadonna with his hate for HBK, its not HBK's fault they did a program together. HBK just happened to be int he wrong place at the wrong time.
LunchBoX

Postby Slappy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 am

Well the hate for Shawn Michaels didnt just come from the Screwjob, it had been brewing for a lot longer with political manipulation, shoot comments and backstage fights before the Survivor Series.
Slappy

Postby Evilguest » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:28 pm

I think they were both wrong, I think Vince should have been a man and said this is happening and not tricked Bret and Bret should have lost the way he was told too in the begining.
Evilguest

Postby European Uppercut » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Does anyone know why Vince signed Bret to a long term deal, but then decided to back out only a year into it?
European Uppercut

Postby LunchBoX » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:18 pm

I think they were hard pressed for money and his contract was too much.
LunchBoX

Postby WannaB » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:09 pm

I remember hearing something to the extent that Vince heard that WCW tried contacting Bret. I don't know if this was prior to the new contract or if it took place later, but I believe this may have had something to do with it. It's also possible that Bret was a source of conflict backstage as he was always very vocal about his dislike for the anti-hero characters that were taking precedent as role models for the young fans among other reasons.
WannaB

Postby Slappy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:07 pm

LunchBoX wrote:I think they were hard pressed for money and his contract was too much.

Yep.
Slappy

Postby KickToKill » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:07 am

it's all a work.....the greatest work ever!!! :lol:
KickToKill

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:02 pm

LunchBoX wrote:I think they were hard pressed for money and his contract was too much.
Yes. WCW had offered Bret 3 million per year for three years. WWF could not exactly compete with that offer. So they signed Bret to a life time contract. WWF signed Bret to a 20 year deal which would be more money but only in the long run. The plan was for Bret to take an office job after his wrestling career was over. But obviously that did not happen.
Dr.Gonzo

Return to General Discussion