What's your favorite wrestling game?

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

What's your favorite wrestling game?

Postby CheMateo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:55 pm

The Fire Pro series are great games. I've never personally owned one but I've had good times playing it at my friend's house. I love how you could basically create anyone and it had plenty of matches to choose from. It was the first and only wrestling game that I've come across that had the crazy no roped barbed wire exploding ring death match.

However my personal favorites were the games produced by Aki for the N64. From WCW vs NWO World Tour to WWF No Mercy. The engine was great for it's time. I liked the amount of moves, the animations and the over all very easy game play. Anyone could just join in and within a few minutes master the weak/strong grapple system.

I liked how Aki included lot's of wrestlers but with pseudonyms. I remember Taka Michinoku was renamed BlackBelt and Super Delfin was renamed The Unknown. If you ever picked up the Japanese ports, Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 and 2, the wrestlers who were renamed actually had different moves than the American port. Like Abdullah The Butcher would blow fire. Jinsei Shinzaki would do his rope walk. Cool things like that.

Over all the Aki games were way better than the Acclaim WWF games. I hated the control scheme and the wrestlers animations looked so wooden in the WWF games. Anyway I haven't really gotten into any of the new wrestling games. I messed around a bit with them. I enjoyed the depth of the create a character modes. Anyone else play the old Acclaim or Aki games?
CheMateo

Postby npdavis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:57 pm

The original No Mercy for N64 is still the only wrestling game I really play. And not the modded version with the indies and Japanese guys for your PC, but the regular version with like Right to Censor, Essa Rios and all those guys like the 2000 roster.
npdavis

Postby TigerDriver98 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:36 pm

Good topic.

Fire Pro Returns: By far my personal favorite. Everything I want in a wrestling game. It's a very deep and fun game engine with a lot of match types. And best of all, it is the most customizable wrestling game ever. The wrestler creation mode is great, you can accurately create pretty much anyone, and program their logic so they wrestle like their real life counterparts. You get 500 Edit/Create A Wrestler slots (compare that to 30 in the Smackdown games) too, so you won't be running out of space.

You can also create your own ring, logo, and referee, which really adds to the feel of a promotion. Like in my game I have Rick Knox reffing the matches between the PWG wrestlers. It's a great touch.

It's coming out for the PS2 in the US soon at a bargain price (14.99 or 19.99), so I highly recommend everyone pick it up.

King Of Colosseum 2: Another amazing Japanese game. A great compliment to Fire Pro. I'd even say it was even better than Fire Pro as far as matches and moves go (but it's not nearly as customizable as Fire Pro)

And even though it's in Japanese, it has the best commentary I've ever heard in a wrestling game. It feels like the commentator is actually watching and reacting to the match and not just spitting out robotic lines. You'd be surprised how much this adds to the experience.

If you are able to import PS2 games, this game is a must.

AKI Games: These are classic. Very easy and fun engine to pick up. If they kept expanding upon this engine instead of Smackdown, it would easily be the best game around right now.

Best one IMO is probably VPW2. No Mercy does have advantages over it (like Ladder matches and the weapons system) but overall I think VPW2 was a deeper game.

I've never played the Modded Indy version, but it looks interesting.

Acclaim games These were horrible. YOU COULDN'T EVEN PICK YOUR OPPONENT in Warzone but they had "fart mode". An unforgivable sin. I could never remember the combinations to do the moves either.

Their Legends of Wrestling games were also hilarious. You had these old school wrestlers who barely ever did anything in the ring busting out all of these modern death finishers at the beginning of the match.

I have a soft spot for the old Wrestlemania Challenge/RAW/Royal Rumble games though.

Smackdown: The games are ok, but after a while you realize that it is the exact same game every year. Only for some reason they actually find a way to make them worse every time. This years looks to be no different. I'll be skipping it.
TigerDriver98

Postby CheMateo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:24 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:I have a soft spot for the old Wrestlemania Challenge/RAW/Royal Rumble games though.
I can't believe I left those out. Those were some fun wrestling games from LJN. I had the Super Nintendo versions. Wrestlemania was fun. In regards to Wrestlemania I was always envious that the Genesis version had finishing moves and had a slightly different roster. I remember wanting to play as Ultimate Warrior.

Royal Rumble was an improvement as it had a more updated roster, finishing moves and of course the Royal Rumble match itself, which was fun. I remember playing it with friends and the game had a couple of glitches which amused me. One time my friend was playing as Lex Luger and went for his fore arm finish. When Luger's opponent came back to him, Luger missed the fore arm and still did his pose even though his opponent never got hit. Another time in a tag match, Luger was grappling with my partner on the outside. I came around with the steel chair and smashed it over Luger's head. Luger was knocked out. He never got back up. I kept playing for like an extra 10 or 15 minutes just to see if Luger would get up and go back to his corner. Instead he laid on the floor until I finished playing.

Raw was my favorite though. At the time Monday Night Raw was past my bedtime so I never really watched it. But was surprised that they tried to keep the same intro as the TV Show. It had the most match options of the three games. Plus it had some great new additions to the roster like Diesel, 1-2-3 Kid, Owen Hart and Bam Bam Bigelow. You could now do the 10 punches in the turnbuckle. There was an extra weapon outside, a bucket. I liked to hit the ref until he got fed up and left. Plus this game had run ins! I remember it surprised me and made me wonder what was going on. Each wrestler had their own unique mega move. I remember Yokozuna would do his cannonball dive and everyone would fall. Bam Bam Bigelow had his coast to coast head butt and Undertaker had this running clothesline that if hit just right would send the opponent flying out of the ring. LJN didn't put the mega moves in the instruction booklet so they suckered me into buying that RAW video guide in which the wrestlers would tell you how to do moves and their mega move. Sort of a neat video mixed with some highlights from Monday Night Raw.
CheMateo

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Yeah those N64 THQ and old Super Nintendo and Sega games were classics in my mind. This thread just brings back a ton of old memories.
I remember going to this video store in Huntington Park and renting my first wrestling game, for the Nintendo. I think it was WWF Wrestlemania Challenge or something like that. Boy did that game suck hard. Even though I was pretty young I could still tell it was a terrible game.

I wish that video store was still around though. I used to play the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden. Which was a cool two player game. When you would lose there would be this cool death scene where the Ninja is bound and a saw slowly comes down to cut him and if you didn't insert your coin in time the screen would turn red with blood. Sorry about getting off topic.

I really liked those WWF arcade games. I wish they were ported for home systems. I used to go to my local supermarket and play. There was something neat about those large cartoonish graphics. I remember them having weapons outside like chairs, tables and the steel steps. Which was kind of odd since the WWF was under a no weapon policy at the time.

I was also a fan of Capcom's Saturday Night Slammasters. It was a more like a fusion of fighting and wrestling. But still I had a good time playing it. Some of the wrestlers were obviously based of real life guys. Like El Stingray was based on Rey Mysterio Jr. and Alexander the Grater was based on Big Van Vader. It was also neat to see them keep the Capcom universe alive in that game. You had the option to play as former Mayor of Metro city Mike Haggar. I just wish they put Zangeif in there as well. That would have been a nice touch as well. I remember being up in Canada and stopping by a local shop and picking up an EGM. It was in that issue I saw the first screen shots of Monday Night RAW for SNES and Sega and Slammasters 2. But I never came across Slammasters 2. I'd still like to play part 2.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby LX__BLADE » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:58 am

I love the backyard wrestling games as theres no complicated controls like smackdown v raw, the extra content was filled with music video and the story line in the first game is hilariously cheesey.
LX__BLADE

Postby LunchBoX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:26 am

Never plaied Fire Pro Retuns but im def getting it when its rereleased.
LunchBoX

Postby Dangerous Robot » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:46 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Pro Wrestling for the NES. It's all about Starman!
Dangerous Robot

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:54 pm

For some reason I uploaded this 8-way FIRE PRO Returns match on YouTube. It's Scott Lost Vs. Davey Richards Vs. PAC Vs. El Generico Vs. Kevin Steen Vs. The Human Tornado Vs. Joey Ryan Vs. Super Dragon (All are wrestlers I created myself, some don't look too great though.) Simmed by the computer.

Check it out if you are interested in buying the game:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81-0m3JJKvc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RofNIVz_zLw
TigerDriver98

Postby steenerico » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:12 am

Wrestlemania 2000 for N64
steenerico

Postby armandpwg666 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Backyard Wrestling: Don't Try This At Home (PS2)
ECW Hardcore Revolution (PS)
King Of Colosseum (PS2)
King Of Colosseum 2 (PS2)
WCW Vs The World (PS)
WCW/nWo Revenge (N64)
WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2006..I mainly used Japan, PWG, & ROH CAWS, only in wrestlers I used in the game were Benoit, Chavo Jr, DiBease, Eddie, London, Regal, & Tajiri (PS2)
WWF No Mercy (N64)
armandpwg666

Postby Jamboree » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:32 am

The NA Fire Pro Returns port just came out just a few days ago. I kind of had a hard time finding a copy and had to buy one USED. Anyway, I played some of it, and it's def. nothing like the Smackdown! games. It's a lot more deep and strategic, which probably means I will need to take some quality time with this (along with making custom wrestlers) during winter vacation. The game's depth seems a bit daunting, but I'll get used to it.
Jamboree

Postby Danzig22 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:07 am

Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth, simply because of the draft, and that the season mode never really ended and it carried over everyone's stats as well as championships.

Or Smackdown 2 because of the fact that your PPV's and the PPV matches got rated, I always thought they should have kept that.
Danzig22

Postby IndyMadman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:40 pm

I loved a game called "Mat Mania." This was our Street Fighter. People used to line up their quarters on the machine. It was "winner stays" and just out right fun. They had a Vs. version of the game called "Mat Mania Challenge" which was made for player vs. player. The original Mat Mania had a great one player mode where you'd fight the likes of Insane Warrior, Coco Savage, and many more (I can't remember them right now). The only negative is that after you win the belt, you keep playing with no ending in sight until you lose. We had that bitch up to over 100 title defenses yet you just loop through the challengers.

On a game system, nothing beat WM2000, No Mercy, and NWO/WCW for the N64. Those games are still fun, which make them timeless.

Of the PS2 games, Smack Down "Shut Your Mouth" remains the best of the bunch.

Fire Pro Returns is hard as hell. I was lucky to find it at a store. I'm currently trying to find somebody who already did the edits to purchase a memory card transfer from them. I heard you can find them, but I'm having trouble.
IndyMadman

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:59 pm

IndyMadman wrote:Fire Pro Returns is hard as hell. I was lucky to find it at a store. I'm currently trying to find somebody who already did the edits to purchase a memory card transfer from them. I heard you can find them, but I'm having trouble.

Fire Pro takes a bit of time to get used to. But it's well worth it.

I know next to nothing about saves, but the best place to look for those is http://www.fireproclub.com/forum/
TigerDriver98

Postby Jamboree » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:56 pm

IndyMadman wrote:I loved a game called "Mat Mania." This was our Street Fighter. People used to line up their quarters on the machine. It was "winner stays" and just out right fun. They had a Vs. version of the game called "Mat Mania Challenge" which was made for player vs. player. The original Mat Mania had a great one player mode where you'd fight the likes of Insane Warrior, Coco Savage, and many more (I can't remember them right now). The only negative is that after you win the belt, you keep playing with no ending in sight until you lose. We had that bitch up to over 100 title defenses yet you just loop through the challengers.

On a game system, nothing beat WM2000, No Mercy, and NWO/WCW for the N64. Those games are still fun, which make them timeless.

Of the PS2 games, Smack Down "Shut Your Mouth" remains the best of the bunch.

Fire Pro Returns is hard as hell. I was lucky to find it at a store. I'm currently trying to find somebody who already did the edits to purchase a memory card transfer from them. I heard you can find them, but I'm having trouble.

I don't think you need to do that. Go get a Gameshark type device (like Action Replay or Codebreaker or something) and you can download saves online. I found a few saves on Gamefaqs.
Jamboree

Return to General Discussion