Upcoming Movies

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Postby CheMateo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Nicholson is already commenting on the situation. From IMDB

Jack Nicholson has hinted he warned tragic Heath Ledger against taking on the role of The Joker in the new Batman film. Ledger, 28 - who was declared dead at 3:30pm at his Manhattan apartment on Tuesday - publicly declared himself exhausted and sleep deprived in November following the grueling shoot for The Dark Knight. He also revealed in an interview with the New York Times he'd resorted to taking sleeping pills - an overdose of which is believed to be the cause of his death - in a desperate bid to catch up on rest. And Nicholson, who famously portrayed the menacing Joker in Tim Burton's 1989 movie Batman, implied to the waiting crowd outside plush London restaurant The Wolesley on Tuesday night he spoke to Ledger about his role in The Dark Knight - and warned him about the pitfalls of taking on such a demanding challenge. When asked by the London crowds for his reaction to Ledger's untimely demise, a defeated Nicholson simply replied, "I told him so." Batman Begins prequel The Dark Knight is due to be released in July.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:57 am

That seems kind of odd given that he was so down on Ledger taking the role in that interview a while back; not because he didn't want anyone to endure any hardship brought on by the role, but because he felt robbed of the role.

Very strange. I'm a little skeptical of the quotes from Nicholson and the context of which they were taken in all recent reports... especially since they say in this excerpt that The Dark Knight is a prequel.

Then again, Jack always has come off as somewhat... what's the word I'm looking for?
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Rambo. Anyone see it yet? I was a fan of the very original, First Blood. When I originally saw First Blood I was not used to seeing Brian Dennehy play a bad guy. I first came across Dennehy in the F/X movies. Anyway, do you folks recommend Rambo? Yay or nay?
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:30 am

Haven't seen it yet, but there was this interesting little tidbit from the LA Times...

"Rambo", the upcoming fourth film in the Sylvester Stallone-led action series, has the biggest body count by far of the series according to The Los Angeles Times.

Film writer John Mueller made a comparison list of the body counts in the previous films. The biggest difference is that Rambo keeps his shirt on throughout, Rambo is barely shot at, and there's actually less torture scenes than both the sequels. Here's the comparison of most stats:

"First Blood" (1982)
Total Body Count: 1
Kill Count Per Minute: 0.01
Torture Scenes: 2
Time of First Death In Film: 29min 31sec
Good Guys Killed: 0
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 0
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 0

"Rambo: First Blood Part II" (1985)
Total Body Count: 69
Kill Count Per Minute: 0.72
Torture Scenes: 5
Time of First Death In Film: 33min 34sec
Good Guys Killed: 1
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 58
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 10

"Rambo III" (1988)
Total Body Count: 132
Kill Count Per Minute: 1.3
Torture Scenes: 7
Time of First Death In Film: 41min 9sec
Good Guys Killed: 37
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 78
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 17

"Rambo" (2008)
Total Body Count: 236
Kill Count Per Minute: 2.59
Torture Scenes: 3
Time of First Death In Film: 3min 22sec
Good Guys Killed: 113
Bad Guys Killed By Rambo: 83
Bad Guys Killed By Supporting Characters: 40

Also, if you've happened to pick up the Ultimate Edition of First Blood on DVD there is an alternate suicide ending. Honestly it sounds cool, but all it is is Rambo grabbing the gun in Richard Crenna's hand and makes Crenna shoot him in the stomach. It happens pretty quickly, and that's it. Nothing special, but interesting to see.

And I didn't think anyone else I knew had seen the F/X movies.
WannaB

Justice League back on???

Postby WannaB » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Jett at Batman On Film just posted this interesting news. It appears that Justice League may be starting from scratch... AGAIN, but with some drastic changes (possibly for the better).

MOVIEHOLE.NET is reporting that they received a casting call for JUSTICE LEAGUE that included the following description:

WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm

WannaB wrote:And I didn't think anyone else I knew had seen the F/X movies.
Yeah as a matter of fact I picked them up on DVD not too long ago but I haven't gotten around to watching them again. I barely even remember the first one. I look forward to watching F/X 2 again. I always got a kick out of Rollie, Mike and that "body suit" Mike was wearing. Not to mention the robotic clown during the fight scene toward the end of the movie always made me laugh.

Interesting take on the JL movie. I got to say I like it. I think it is kind of daring to do the movie without the pillars of JL. Let's see if this actually pans out.

WannaB, what's going on with the Watchmen? We're only about a year away from the scheduled release date. Jackie Earle Haley has been cast as Rorschach. That's all I really know. I'm also kind of interested is seeing all the actors they've casted for all the famous figures like Castro, Mao, Nixon and Yoko Ono.
CheMateo

Postby El Asian » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:32 pm

CheMateo wrote:
WannaB wrote:And I didn't think anyone else I knew had seen the F/X movies.
Yeah as a matter of fact I picked them up on DVD not too long ago but I haven't gotten around to watching them again. I barely even remember the first one. I look forward to watching F/X 2 again. I always got a kick out of Rollie, Mike and that "body suit" Mike was wearing. Not to mention the robotic clown during the fight scene toward the end of the movie always made me laugh.

Interesting take on the JL movie. I got to say I like it. I think it is kind of daring to do the movie without the pillars of JL. Let's see if this actually pans out.

WannaB, what's going on with the Watchmen? We're only about a year away from the scheduled release date. Jackie Earle Haley has been cast as Rorschach. That's all I really know. I'm also kind of interested is seeing all the actors they've casted for all the famous figures like Castro, Mao, Nixon and Yoko Ono.

apparently, Fox is trying to sue Warner Brothers on the Watchmen movie apparently, over rights of the movie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... ec534c5382
El Asian

Postby WannaB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:39 am

Yeah there is some whole mess about how FOX claims that they bought the rights years ago, but through a series of complicated contracts the exact ownership of the rights somehow got lost in the shuffle, some people sold the rights thinking they really owned it, and if it does turn out to be so Warners will either have to completely scrap the film, or they will have to broker some sort of deal with FOX. If FOX does own the rights they would be morons to not make some sort of deal because Snyder definitely has a moneymaker. Perhaps FOX will take all a significant chunk of the profits. Who knows...
WannaB

Postby Danzig22 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:21 am

i'm looking foward to the Dragon Ball Z live action movie, just because of how big of a trainwreck it is going to be.
Danzig22

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:50 am

Danzig22 wrote:i'm looking foward to the Dragon Ball Z live action movie, just because of how big of a trainwreck it is going to be.
Get out of town! There is going to a live action Dragon Ball movie?! Is it going to be a domestic release or is it an international film? I cannot believe someone would attempt to make a live action Dragon Ball movie. I wonder if it will be around the level of Street Fighter or MK 2.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby WannaB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am

No apparently Hollywood is taking it very seriously. Justin Chatwin (War Of The Worlds, The Chumbscrubber, Breaking Bad) is playing Goku. There are a bunch of big name people on board too. Google that shit. I'm not a fan of Dragonball by any means, but the seriousness of the production thus far has me intrigued as a movie-goer.

Che! I too am looking forward to this even newer attempt at Justice League. I think that doing it without Batman & Superman will help avoid confusion to the casual movie-goer, and it won't hurt the Donner/Singer Superman franchise or the Nolan Batman franchise should the movie bomb. Plus it allows for the script to explore into the interesting yet lesser known characters such as Lantern. And thank goodness they aren't sticking with the original casting choices. I'd still prefer a CGI League film (ala TMNT), but this might work just as well. *crosses fingers*
WannaB

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:37 pm

I don't know most of the cast for Dragon Ball. Except of course Chow Yun Fat and Randall Kim. But just knowing Chow is in it, has pretty much sold me on the movie. I'm a big mark for Chow's HK action flicks. They may not be everybody's cup of tea. I would look forward to Joe Bob's Drive In Theater, I think it was on Showtime before he had Monstervision on TNT. Thanks to Joe I got introduced to John Woo and Ringo Lam. Anyway, I enjoyed his show the most when he had those HK double features.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby bford24 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:37 pm

I don't know the first thing about DragonBall but it seems like an interesting movie cast. I also love Chow Yun Fat and Emmy Rossum. James Wong is a great director, I liked the first Final Destination. I also liked The One, his movie with Jet Li. It was a very safe action film but it was very good nonetheless.
bford24

Postby WannaB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Joe Bob Briggs rules all.
WannaB

Postby WannaB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:17 pm

More on the Justice League...

...it looks like Warner's has pulled the plug... AGAIN!

They won't attempt to restart production until 2010, which in the mean time will allow for solo films surrounding Green Lantern & The Flash to get off the ground. And future Batman & Superman films will move forward without any internal debate/conflict.
WannaB

Postby WannaB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:04 pm

Just found this featurette on the new Batman anime collection that's coming out soon.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dnra ... s?from=rss

Really, really, really cool stuff if you're a fan of the dark knight.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:11 pm

WannaB wrote:More on the Justice League...

...it looks like Warner's has pulled the plug... AGAIN!

They won't attempt to restart production until 2010, which in the mean time will allow for solo films surrounding Green Lantern & The Flash to get off the ground. And future Batman & Superman films will move forward without any internal debate/conflict.
Dang. I was looking forward to the new direction they were going to take JL. Well hopefully they'll manage to get it right in a few years.

Just found this featurette on the new Batman anime collection that's coming out soon.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dnra ... s?from=rss

Really, really, really cool stuff if you're a fan of the dark knight.
Dang again. I was too late. The footage has already been removed.
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:25 pm

I forgot to add this. A teaser trailer for the new De Niro/Pacino project Righteous Kill. This time De Niro and Pacino are on the same side of the law. Looks like it has a bit of that 80's hokeyness and unintentional humor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZB8g5I0pA
Only complaint I have is that the movie has that Mike Tyson look-alike chuckle head 50 cent in it. I really wish he wasn't in the movie.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Some interesting news regarding Heath Ledger's unfinished role in his last movie.

Taken from Dark Horizons...

Despite reps for Johnny Depp offering an official denial the other week, AICN reports that the "Pirates of the Caribbean" actor is still very much involved in taking over part of the role left behind by the death of Heath Ledger in Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus".

What's more interesting though is that they say two other actors will be joining Depp to film those segments that Ledger won't be able to do - Jude Law and Colin Farrell - and says that all three names are verified. Shooting is about to start up again in Vancouver on the project. More as it comes.

The idea behind this for anyone who hasn't heard, is that at some point in the movie Ledger's character moves through a magical mirror and among other things his appearence changes. This is why they'll have 3 different actors in addition to Ledger playing the same role. There was brief talk a few weeks back of finishing the film with a CG Ledger.
WannaB

Postby WannaB » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Oh... and for those who haven't heard...

TOSHIBA is dumping it's HD-DVD format. It appears as though Blu-Ray's victory is now official.

Also, I just saw this. A new film from WWE. It's basically The Marine, but not a marine. It's the Marine, if the marine were a cop. So lame.

World Wrestling Entertainment and Fox Atomic are teaming for the $20 million action vehicle "12 Rounds" which Renny Harlin will direct says Variety.

Daniel Kunka's script centers on a New Orleans police detective (John Cena) whose girlfriend is kidnapped.

Steve Harris plays an FBI agent, Aidan Gillen is the kidnapper and Brian White plays a cop working with Cena's character.

Production starts February 25th in New Orleans, the first WWE Film to be shot in States-side. A 2009 release is planned.
WannaB

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion