Upcoming Movies

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Postby WannaB » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:26 pm

Well, there were a ton of other websites that popped up, but the new website that has the TDk trailer for viewing & download is the latest. The viral marketing will probably wind down a little bit as more and more trailers and featurettes are released, but they'll probably be doing them up until the films release on July 18th.

Speaking of which the trailer is AWESOME!!! And the 6 min prologue that introduces the Joker in a bank robbery scene is amazing.

On the note of Nicholson, in a recent interview he was very dissaproving of someone else playing the Joker (just as Burton was being vocal recently about the franchise being helmed by someone else). Both Nicholson & Burton really seemed to be grabbing at straws in their arguments, and it sounded as though they just want to hold on to their legacies. In any case, from the way Nicholson was talking, it didn't even sound like he had seen Batman Begins, let alone know that Heath Ledger had been cast as the Joker. Instead he just had negative thoughts on the whole thing. It was kind of pathetic.

As for the Terminator, my only hesitation about the news is that McG is directing. He was the "genius" behind the Charlie's Angels movies. While I can't fault him for the screenplays of those films I still have a low opinion of him simply because of how bad those films were. But this will be a completely new trilogy, with a new story arc, so I think it will do fine without Arnold. Besides, I haven't seen Christian Bale ever choose a bad project to work on. I wasn't too fond of Laurel Canyon, but the film was still well reviewed.
WannaB

Postby bford24 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:41 am

That Batman trailer did look awesome. I didn't think anyone could outplay Jack Nicholson as the Joker but Heath Ledger nailed it perfectly. It has the perfect combo of Christian Bale and Heath Ledger. Very excited to see that one next summer.

Speaking of interesting and dark movies, there is one being done by Marilyn Manson called Phantasmagoria: The Visions of Lewis Carroll. It is supposed to be some "Hitchcockian" type movie using some brand new camera style. Not sure exactly what it is but I am always looking for a new and interesting way to shoot a movie. It has a pretty good cast with Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, Evan Rachel Wood among others. Hitchcock is my favorite director so anything resembling that will be great...though obvioulsy it won't stand up to those.
bford24

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am

For those curious about the prologue introducing the Joker... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC39hYjTQ-U

In terms of upcoming releases I can't say that there is a whole lot that I can think of right now that I'd like to see.

Alien Vs Predator should be fun.

There will be blood, starring Daniel Day Lewis and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Anderson adapted a scene from Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel Oil! as a writing exercise. From there it spwaned into a full fledged screen play. IMDB says that about half way through the movie it diverts from the novel.
There Will Be Blodd is a story about family, greed, religion, and oil, centered around a turn-of-the-century Texas prospector (Daniel Day-Lewis) in the early days of the business.

What else is coming out? I guess Bucket List looks like it could be fun. I never really thought I'd see Nicholson and Freeman together. Then there is that new Denzel Washington movie The Debaters? I think that is what it's called.

WannaB, do you have a link to the Nicholson interview in which he slammed the new incarnation of Batman?
Dr.Gonzo

Postby CheMateo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 am

Dr.Gonzo wrote:There will be blood, starring Daniel Day Lewis and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Anderson adapted a scene from Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel Oil! as a writing exercise. From there it spwaned into a full fledged screen play. IMDB says that about half way through the movie it diverts from the novel.
There Will Be Blodd is a story about family, greed, religion, and oil, centered around a turn-of-the-century Texas prospector (Daniel Day-Lewis) in the early days of the business.

What else is coming out? I guess Bucket List looks like it could be fun. I never really thought I'd see Nicholson and Freeman together. Then there is that new Denzel Washington movie The Debaters? I think that is what it's called.
Wow, glad to see Day Lewis in something. I haven't seen any of his work lately. I feel like I'm the only one who didn't much care for Gangs of NY but I'm glad Marty got Lewis to come out of retirement.

The debaters doesn't look too interesting. Maybe right now I prefer seeing Denzel as a heel. You know, playing those raw performances. Seems like it's a slow time for releases. But I haven't been paying much attention to the Calendar section or TV. Anyone heard anything good about a movie called Juno?
CheMateo

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 am

CheMateo wrote:Wow, glad to see Day Lewis in something. I haven't seen any of his work lately. I feel like I'm the only one who didn't much care for Gangs of NY but I'm glad Marty got Lewis to come out of retirement.
I agree with that. GONY was overrated. I actually haven' really like much of Scorsese's work lately. Except I did enjoy the Departed. I liked it better than the original HK version.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby bford24 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:23 pm

I heard Juno was really funny and smart. Some compare it to Little Miss Sunshine, so it kinda depends on if you like that kind of movie. Juno is supposed to be the surprise movie of the year.

There Will Be Blood does look very strong. Daniel Day Lewis doesn't do many movies but when he does its always a strong performance. There are a few good movies out there. No Country for Old Men is really, really good. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is pretty strong too. Good performances by Ethan Hawke, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Albert Finney. Charlie Wilson's War is getting a lot of press, its got a great cast and a great director in Mike Nichols.
bford24

Postby CheMateo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Dr.Gonzo wrote: Except I did enjoy the Departed. I liked it better than the original HK version.
I pretty much agree with your sentiment except I hated the Hollywood ending in the Departed. To me that is the only flagrant flaw.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:44 am

I found this article which talks about a lot of details of the new Terminator trilogy.

When Ain't It Cool broke the story that Christian Bale was in Terminator 4, playing John Connor, one of my sources became confused. That couldn't be true, I was told - John Connor is barely in the movie. Turns out that it's true, and that yes, John Connor is barely in the movie. Over the last week I have been gathering some details about Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, and while I am trying to steer clear of serious spoiler material, people who don't want to know anything about this movie should step away from the computer right now.

John Connor is not the main character of Terminator 4; that character is someone named Marcus. Marcus was put 'out of commission' before the nuclear holocaust on Judgment Day and he wakes up about 15 years before the future we see in the original Terminator films, which puts the movie at about 2015 or so. Marcus is a bad ass - think along the lines of Riddick - and what he finds is a blasted world filled with horror. Radiation poisoning, starvation, rampant jaywalking - all the things you expect post-apocalypse. There's also John Connor, who is trying to build a utopian society while running the human resistance.

Connor's role is apparently bigger in the second film; whoever they hire for Marcus (my understanding is that the part is not yet cast) will be around for all three films. Terminator 4 is going to be the most male-centric of all the Terminator films, but there is a butt busting female character by the name of Blair, a pilot for the human resistance.

They're going to need some buttkickers, because the scope of the action in Terminator 4 is HUGE. Lots of machine action in this film, including some battles with the T-600s. Yup, the rubber skin Terminators. And there's another familiar character that shows up - Reese shows up in a scene with John Connor. I don't know what his involvement in the next two films will be, though.

Finally, here's a story point that's probably a legitimate spoiler (although it's sort of the main crux around which the story revolves, so it will probably get blown in the advertising), so I'll invisotext this stuff: A big aspect of the story is the degrees of difference between a human and a Terminator. By which I mean cyborgs. By which I mean human brains in robot bodies.

I've gathered this info from a number of different sources, and while they all have different takes on the material (all mostly positive, with one of my sources saying that the story is great and that the action promises to be incredible), they all bring up one point of comparison: The Matrix films. Make of that what you will. For me, the information I've gotten - including really spoilery stuff I won't inflict on you - has gotten me jazzed. This film feels like it could be epic and erase the taste of the workmanlike T3 from my mouth. Let's hope McG can pull this off.
WannaB

Postby WannaB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:52 am

Oh, and here's all I could find from that MTV interview with Jack Nicholson where he talks about how he's pissed about the whole Joker situation. Again, he sounds jealous, and his comments about the Batman franchise lead me to think that he never saw Begins.

MTV: What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker in next summer's "The Dark Knight"?
Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker. I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.

MTV: It was never brought up?
Nicholson: No. It's like, in any area, you can't believe the reasons things do or don't happen. Not asking me how to do the sequel is that kind of thing. Maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe it was the right thing, but to be candid, I'm furious.

MTV: I'm surprised to hear you sounding competitive about a role like that.
Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. That's how I got involved with it in the first place. It's a part I always thought I should play.

MTV: Will you see the new film?
Nicholson: I'm not inclined to watch it because of what I said. But if it's a good movie, I'll catch up with it somewhere. I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground. Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it. That's why I did the movie. I did the movie based on a single conversation with him. We both come from the cartoon world originally. We had similar ideas. Tim said [the Joker] should have a humorous dark side to him. [Burton is] one of the great moviemakers. I think the world of him. He's the most unassuming man. And he doesn't feel pressure. That's what I love about him. Once he's in there, he's smiling making the movie. That's it!
WannaB

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:17 pm

WannaB wrote:MTV: I'm surprised to hear you sounding competitive about a role like that.
Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. That's how I got involved with it in the first place. It's a part I always thought I should play.

Nicholson: Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it. That's why I did the movie. I did the movie based on a single conversation with him.
Thanks for posting this. I call B.S. on Nicholson. The guy didn't even accept the role initially. WB even started talking to Robin Williams because they were getting fed up with Nicholson giving them the run around. Although it has been suspected that WB never really had any intention of signing Williams but were using him as a way to put pressure on Nicholson to accept. This is pathetic on Nicholson's part.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby WannaB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:02 pm

I do also recall that WB was considering Williams for the role of The Riddler in Batman Forever, before finally settling on Carrey.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:42 pm

WannaB I'm not sure if we discussed this possibility before. True, False or Maybe...Selena Kyle is in The Dark Knight?

Release date for TDK is July 18th. I thought it was originally set for a June release.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:06 pm

CheMateo wrote:WannaB I'm not sure if we discussed this possibility before. True, False or Maybe...Selena Kyle is in The Dark Knight?

Release date for TDK is July 18th. I thought it was originally set for a June release.

Hmmm... I think there was some scuttlebutt last year suggesting a possible cameo role, or small part for Kyle. There was also some rumor of Oswald Cobblepot (the Penguin) being in the film, and that he was an Eastern European arms dealer, and that likes of Bob Hoskins & Phillip Seymour Hoffman were being considered. I also remember rumors of Rachel Weisz (sooooooo HOT) being considered for the role of Talia Al-Ghul. Personally I would've rather seen Talia Al-Ghul than Selena Kyle. But it doesn't look like either is happening sadly.

ALSO...

Some good news regarding that g*d-awful Justice League movie that's being planned. It may be scrapped... hopefully.

Took this from BOF's JOF;

According to my friends over at IESB.NET, things are not looking very good for JUSTICE LEAGUE. Here
WannaB

Postby WannaB » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Going back to that Jack Nicholson interview with MTV from a short while back, where he criticizes the decision to not recast HIM as the Joker...

Michael Keaton just did an interview with MTV where he briefly touches on his thoughts on Nicholson's comments, and what he thinks of Nolan, Bale, and the whole Batman reboot.

--------------------------------------------

The fourth actor to portray Batman on film -- but the first "dark and serious" Caped Crusader -- recently spoke with MTV and talked a bit about Batman. Here's an excerpt:

MTV: I want to take you back to BATMAN for a second. I got a chance to talk to Jack Nicholson recently.

WannaB

Postby El Asian » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:17 pm

yeah, I think still think Nicholson was overrated as The Joker, personally the best Joker to me was Mark Hamill's portrayal, who incidentally is looking forward to see how Ledger does it
El Asian

Postby bford24 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Sad news about all the Joker talk...Heath Ledger died today of a drug overdose.
bford24

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Man I really thought you were joking. Wow it comes as a shock to hear that Ledger died. The guy was only 28 years old. Reading just a little bit on it and his dead body was found by his housekeeper and a masseuse at around 12:30pm pacific time. Drugs are the suspected cause of death. Police do not suspect foul play. Too bad. I was hoping to see him portray the Joker at least one more time.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby WannaB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:05 pm

Sadly enough, CNN is already flaunting the notion that method acting killed him. Saying he inhabited the role of the Joker so thoroughly that it caused him sleepless nights, hence the need for sleeping pills.

It is very plausible, but with him only being dead less than 3 hours it seems like a huge stretch to be making. To also claim it was suicide when every other media outlet, and even the NYPD is saying that for the moment it appears to have been accidental... A little messed up.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:55 pm

I was not expecting this. But then again who is expecting a twenty eight year old to suddenly die. I'm disappointed as I wanted to see what he could've contributed in the future to the Batman franchise. This sort of reminds me of when Brandon Lee was suddenly killed during filming of The Crow.

WannaB wrote:Sadly enough, CNN is already flaunting the notion that method acting killed him. Saying he inhabited the role of the Joker so thoroughly that it caused him sleepless nights, hence the need for sleeping pills.
I'm not buying that. At least it is way too soon to be making such claims. I know of the health toll and risks associated with method acting but I just feel it is too soon to tell.

Has it been confirmed that the pills near Ledger were indeed sleeping pills?
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 am

Brad Renfro last week... I could see that coming, and I was surprised it didn't happen sooner. But I agree with you here that this was unexpected.

On a similar note, there is a website that is offering a free PS3 to anyone who can accurately pick the date of Britney's death. I'm sure a lot of people aren't making guesses that would put her in her senior years. Kinda morbid, I know.

In any event, yeah, sleeping pills confirmed, but the presence of pills doesn't mean suicide. But of course it will be 3-6 weeks before a full coroner's report comes back, but I'm sure there will be a preliminary report within the next two weeks. But it should also be noted that he had pneumonia, and combined with sleeping pills he could've suffered a blood clot.

It looks as though The Dark Knight will be the final movie of Ledger's to be released, as The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was still in the process of filming. This will undoubtedly add to the already unparalleled hype & interest in the new Batman film. A lot of people will want to see Ledger's final role, and perhaps if CNN isn't just jumping the gun, the role that MAY have pushed him to an unhealthy state.

On the issues of method acting...

Heath's "Dark Knight" and "I'm Not There" co-star, Christian Bale dropped an amazing 63 pounds for his role as the emaciated insomniac Trevor Reznik in the film "The Machinist" with only a single vitamin consultation with a nutritionist to guide him. For the most part, he only ate salads and apples, chewed gum, smoked cigarettes, and drank nonfat lattes.

Dennis Quaid starved himself, intentionally avoided sleep, and even took small doses of formaldehyde to give him the sickly appearence he had in the role of Doc Holiday in the film "Wyatt Earp."

It doesn't seem unusual to go to great physical lengths to inhabit a role, and in a discussion with a friend earlier, examples mentally inhabiting roles can be seen in cases of Arnold Schwarzeneggar not wanting to drink water after wrapping T2 because he feared he would "short circuit" or the actor from Gus Van Sant's "Last Days" actually believed he was Curt Cobain. Even Michael Madsen stalked Natasha Henstridge after Species wrapped because he was worried she'd try to reproduce an alien-human offspring.

Again, it seems doubtful especially since Ledger wrapped his work on Dark Knight 3 months ago, but whatever. Sad story. Not to sound insensative, but I'm kind of curious as to what Chris Nolan plans on doing about the planned presence of the Joker in the third film. I wonder if they'll write him out, recast the role, or perhaps do some last minute reshoots or editing in The Dark Knight to explain why he'll be missing in the third film.
WannaB

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion