Upcoming Movies

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Postby CheMateo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:05 pm

Ah, sweet I can't wait to see the teaser trailer. I also meant to ask you about certain rumors. Was it true that Bob Hoskins was interested in playing the Penguin?

I think he would be a good choice, if they were ever to reintroduce the character. However I later read somewhere that Nolan has no intention of bringing the Penguin into the fold as he views the character as too unbelievable. Again, is that Nolan comment true?

If so I have to say I'm a bit dismayed. While Penguin is not my favorite villain I don't think he is too out there. In fact the only real reason he is called the penguin is due to his portly shape, resembling that of a penguin and his suit.

If he was played in a more low key manner and not as some fish mongering, megalomaniac sewer dweller like Danny De Vito portrayed. I could in fact see Hoskins doing a very neat interpretation of the Penguin.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:51 pm

If I recall the rumors correctly from last year, it was widely specualted that Bob Hoskins and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were being considered for the role of the Penguin, but more specifically that of an Eastern European arms dealer by the name of Oswald Cobblepot. I don't recall if Nolan made those comments or not.

Also around the time there was talk of bringing in Rachel Weisz as Talia Al-Ghul, Paul Bettany & Lachey Hulme were the front runners for the Joker, and Liev Schrieber was the most popularly mentioned indivudal regarding rumors of who would play Harvey Dent. And Black Mask was mentioned too. Last year was loaded with a ton of great rumors.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:25 am

WannaB wrote:In any event, I've got some more TDK news. In regards to a description of the new Teaser which will be coupled with The Simpson's Movie.
Some associates of mine went to a midnight showing of The Simpsons and reported to me that there was no teaser trailer for the Dark Knight. Perhaps because it was a midnight showing, the teaser was not previewed before the movie. Let me know if you have any luck getting to view the teaser on the big screen.
CheMateo

Postby FL PWG fan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 am

I saw the Simpsons last night at midnight and it did have the Dark Knight teaser.
FL PWG fan

Postby LX__BLADE » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:47 pm

I get pissed off at the fact that most of the wwe films are made here in Australia yet they dont come out to the cinemas and only get released on dvd...
LX__BLADE

Postby WannaB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:42 am

Ohhhhh this is so cool. I normally don't like animes because I can't stand it when things don't make a lot of sense (i.e. things added or utilized for stylish purposes without explanations or logic). However this sounds really awesome, and the story will be written by a premeire team of American writers. Here's the story from Batman-On-Film...

NEWSARAMA has some info on that animated Batman DVD that will be released in conjunction with THE DARK KNIGHT. Here's the description:

"Set in the period between BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT, this brand new adventure follows BATMAN as he unravels a mystery over six original stories done in the style of Japanese Anime. Each of the six original stories has been written by a highly respected screenwriter or comic book creator. The talent includes Academy Award nominee Josh Olsen (The History of Violence), screenwriter of the BLADE films and BATMAN BEGINS David Goyer, and famed comic book writer Brian Azzarello, among others.

The Batman Anime DVD is viewed as a perfect companion piece to BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. The original stories introduce a number of classic characters from the DC Comics BATMAN universe as well as following up on characters and storylines that were introduced in BATMAN BEGINS."

WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:49 am

This sounds like a cool companion piece. I really want to see the stories by Josh Olsen, David Goyer and Azzarello. My only complaint is that it comes out next year. Argh, I was hoping it would come out sooner so it could tide me over until the movie comes out.

Has a suggested retail price and running time been announced?
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:05 pm

WannaB wrote:I loved Swimming With Sharks. Such an underrated movie that sadly not that many people have seen.
You know you're the first person I know that's seen Swimming with Sharks. Usually most people have never heard about and I have to share it with them. Anyway I've been in the mood for a good dark comedy but I'm blanking. Any suggestions?

While on the topic of dark comedies did you ever see In the company of men? It was with DA Harvey Dent Arron Eckhart and Matt Malloy who kept reminding me of Phil Collins throughout the movie. It was funny, I didn't like it as much as Sharks but I still had a good time.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:03 am

I've heard of it, but have never seen it.

As for dark comedies...

Novocaine with Steve Martin & Helena Bonham Carter

Death To Smoochy with Edward Norton, Robin Williams, & Catherine Keener. (It was a shame that Robin Williams was nominated for a Razzie for this because it was so out there from what he normally does, and the level of his vulgarity really did make it funny as it was cleverly done)

Nothing else really comes to mind at the moment.

As for Sharks, I was flipping through the TV one day and came across the scene when Spacey was being tortured with tabasco sauce, and lemon juice in his cuts. It really got my attention so I watched the full thing when they replayed it later in the day. I haven't seen it in years though.
WannaB

Postby Jamboree » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:45 pm

LX__BLADE wrote:I get pissed off at the fact that most of the wwe films are made here in Australia yet they dont come out to the cinemas and only get released on dvd...

You shouldn't be.

Anyways, I'm always usually a year behind all movies, because I'm thrifty like that, but I just saw The Host, and it's probably the best movie I've seen released this year. [/i]
Jamboree

Postby LX__BLADE » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:41 am

I want to see the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie but i dont think it got released in Australia so il have to wait until it comes out on dvd later this year :cry: :cry:
LX__BLADE

Postby LX__BLADE » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am

Does anyone know the movie that roddy piper was in ?????
Apparently he had an awesome fight scene which went for like 10, 15 minutes
LX__BLADE

Postby WannaB » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:18 am

He was in a lot of movies, but the one you're thinking of is "They Live."

His fight scene was with Keith David, and if you ever saw the cripple fight episode of South Park then you've pretty much already seen how the fight plays out as they matched up Timmy & Jimmy shot for shot with the scene from They Live.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:00 am

Hey WannaB I forgot to mention this earlier. Did you ever hear of the Orson Wells Batman hoax? It's a few years old but I just barley came across it. It was an interesting idea. But I knew it was too good to be true. Here is a copy of the article just in case you never read it.

The superhero is sixty-four years old this year, but it's only now (and maybe not even now) that he's attaining some kind of mainstream respectability. Crime, horror, romance and even science-fiction have touched The Academy's hearts over the years and been lauded as adult or sophisticated in a way that we'll probably never achieve and the reasons for this are twofold. The first is that superheroes look silly in a way that even cowboys don't. I love them and always will, but Joe Public can't suppress a smirk when he sees Ben Affleck dressed as the banned fifth member of the Village People. We might as well face it. The other reason is that the type of writers and directors generally attached to superhero material over the years hasn't exactly been of the "Apocalypse Now" variety. Of course, that's changed recently with the likes of Bryan Singer, Ang Lee, David Goyer and Christopher Nolan slipping into their comfortable men's tights, but for the first fifty years or so we really just had journeymen at best at the helm of these projects with nothing better than the occasional blip in an otherwise stagnant line-up.

Production design of Batman done for Orson Welles' never realized Batman feature. Click to enlarge.
However, things could have been very different if circumstances had been a little more in our favour shortly after the war. The embryonic superhero concept wasn't even ten years old when perhaps the most illustrious director of his day, Orson Welles, seriously considered doing a Batman picture and even got as far as production designs, an early draft of a script and some casting photographs featuring various friends and colleagues in prototypes of what would eventually become the finished costumes. A pal of mine called Lionel Hutton, both a movie critic and respected film historian, was given unprecedented access to the Welles estate as research for his upcoming biography (out next Easter) and came across these startling facts in a huge pile of clippings and notes other people hadn't even bothered to report. This all stems back to the complete irrelevance of comics in even the popular arts and the complete disdain for the subject matter mentioned earlier. The fact that Orson Welles was contemplating a Batman picture in 1946 is both glorious and fascinating to people like me, but embarrassing and crass to the Welles officionados.

Basil Rathbone
It's no secret that Orson Welles had a love of the pulps, having voiced "The Shadow" on radio and conceiving the illustrious "War Of The Worlds" scam, but what's lesser known is his love of comic-books right up to his death in 1985. What's especially startling is that his appreciation for the medium was no real secret and he even wrote an article for The Village Voice in 1973 raving about the Denny O'Neil/ Neal Adams "Green Lantern/Green Arrow" book (The Real Counter-Culture Lives Here) and even attending, with no real fanfare, one of the earliest New York comic conventions organised by Phil Seuling. It's perhaps no accident that his snobbish acolytes have overlooked these facts, but Hutton's vast tome explores this aspect of his character in great detail and I was lucky enough to have been given a draft to preview for this column he happens to enjoy. Welles' diaries are dotted with occasional references to books he was reading at the time and his particular excitement at the late sixties and early seventies
James Cagney
work of the new wave of comic-book writers and artists who brought a certain amount of respectability to this medium he had so much affection for. However, the red meat of the book is the details of his proposed Batman picture and the eight months of his life he wasted in pre-production after the success of "Jane Eyre" and "The Stranger."

He began meetings with National Comics (who would later become DC) as early as 1944 to discuss the Batman project, but his work didn't begin in earnest until completion of "The Stranger" in 1946 and Welles immediately threw himself headlong into the project. Gathering many of his old friends and colleagues together from "Citizen Kane," he proposed "a cinematic experience, a kaleidoscope of heroism and nightmares and imagery seen nowhere save the subconscious of Goya or even Hawksmoor himself." Welles planned Batman to be an adult psycho-drama, but combined with what he described as the "heart-racing excitement of the Saturday morning serials, given a respectable twist and a whole new style of kinetic direction unlike anything ever attempted in American cinema." Many of the production sketches he commissioned from Greg Tolland are in the notes and it sends a shiver down your spine when you see them. Unfortunately, I don't have permission to use the most elaborate ones here, but they'll be available in the
George Raft
book with his thirty-six page treatment for a movie that opens with the deaths of Thomas and Mary Wayne (why it's Mary I've no idea) and ends with Batman unmasked and fighting for his life against The Joker, The Riddler, Two-Face and Catwoman in a prison they've assumed control of.

The real treat for me was the casting notes and confirmation letters from the actors themselves such as George Raft signing up for Two-Face (after Bogart turned it down), James Cagney as The Riddler, Basil Rathbone as The Joker and Welles' former lover Marlene Dietrich as a very exotic Catwoman with the same salubrious past Miller gave the character forty years later in "Batman: Year One." Robin was completely absent from the picture, but the casting of Batman himself was the main reason the picture stalled and was consigned to the history books. Welles wanted to cast himself in the roles of both Batman and Bruce Wayne, but the studio wanted to go with a more traditional leading man like Gregory Peck. Peck agreed and was reportedly even shot in a makeshift costume for the part during a break between filming "The Yearling" and the classic "Duel in the Sun." Welles, however, was incensed at the decision. Despite being friends with Peck, he felt that this casting would completely compromise his vision and was especially angry at the studio's suggestion that he should replace Rathbone as The Joker if he really a part in the picture. The talks ended abruptly, Welles pulled out pf the whole deal and threw himself completely into "The Lady From Shanghai" and the "MacBeth" cinematic feature he had also been preparing for some time.

Marlene Dietrich
The tragedy for movie buffs is that, like Welles' proposed adaptation of Conrad's "Heart of Darkness," the world wouldn't get to see a Batman feature until the campy 1966 movie with Adam West. The tragedy for comic-book aficionados is that our big shot at respectability, when the genre was so young that people hadn't made up their minds about us yet, was blown because of an argument over something as small and petty as casting. The movie could have been a disaster, it's impossible to say, but the production notes, the treatment and the first draft I've been reading over the last couple of weeks makes me think this could have redefined cinema. This could have been his masterpiece and, who knows, might have launched the superhero renaissance we're undergoing at the moment with quality cast and directors two or three generations earlier. John Ford following up "The Bat-Man" with a "Captain America" movie? Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn as Clark Kent and Lois Lane? In some weird, parallel reality these things are DVDs collecting dust on our video-shelves and Clint Eastwood is wishing some studio would give his funny, old "Unforgiven" cowboy flick half a chance at the next pitch meeting.

THE COLUMN will return in a few weeks time
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:15 pm

Anyway I saw War last night and I saw a few good trailers. I was wondering if anyone else has any interest in them or saw different previews when viewing War.

I missed the first two trailers which were Eastern Promises Which has Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts. 3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale and Russel Crowe.

American Gangster. I've been wanting to see that one way back when Fuqua was set to direct and Washington was going to play opposite Benicio Del Toro. But the studio got cold feet due to it's content. Frank Lucas (Washington) smuggles heroin into Harlem during the 1970s by hiding the stash inside the coffins of American soldiers returning from Vietnam. While Detective Richie Roberts (Crowe) tries to bring him down. By the way I think this guy does a decent Denzel impression. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00HOPkM8fc

Shoot Em Up. A man named Mr. Smith (Owen) delivers DQ's(Monica Bellucci) baby during a shootout, and is then called upon to protect the newborn from the army of gunmen.

Good Luck Chuck. This was a short trailer. Jessica Alba plays a very clumsy woman.

The Hunting Party.
A young journalist (Eisenberg), a seasoned cameraman (Howard) and a discredited journalist (Gere) embark on an unauthorized mission to find the no. 1 war criminal in Bosnia; they find themselves in serious jeopardy when they are mistaken as a CIA hit squad and their target decides to come after them. This one looked quite interesting. I'm always interested in projects that cover other acts of genocide around the world. If we could get more movies that deal with the Armenian and Bosnian genocide it would be a great way to start educating people of forgotten war crimes.
CheMateo

Postby tankillo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:13 am

WannaB wrote:Ohhhhh this is so cool. I normally don't like animes because I can't stand it when things don't make a lot of sense (i.e. things added or utilized for stylish purposes without explanations or logic). However this sounds really awesome, and the story will be written by a premeire team of American writers. Here's the story from Batman-On-Film...

NEWSARAMA has some info on that animated Batman DVD that will be released in conjunction with THE DARK KNIGHT. Here's the description:

"Set in the period between BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT, this brand new adventure follows BATMAN as he unravels a mystery over six original stories done in the style of Japanese Anime. Each of the six original stories has been written by a highly respected screenwriter or comic book creator. The talent includes Academy Award nominee Josh Olsen (The History of Violence), screenwriter of the BLADE films and BATMAN BEGINS David Goyer, and famed comic book writer Brian Azzarello, among others.

The Batman Anime DVD is viewed as a perfect companion piece to BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. The original stories introduce a number of classic characters from the DC Comics BATMAN universe as well as following up on characters and storylines that were introduced in BATMAN BEGINS."

Is that actual work or just a fan's interpretation of what it would look like? that doesn't look like professional work. For example, Batman is 8-heads tall in that pic. The tallest head count anime i know is sailor moon (7-heads), which was exaggerated due to the expression of the long legs of the sailors. It doesn't fit the anime look. I don't like when people try to do "anime-style" works, unless they are true anime artists.
tankillo

Postby WannaB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:59 am

Yes that is real. But don't freak out, it's just the concept art. Besides, most anime art styles are great... it's just the writing that sucks. So if an American company wants to do a Batman anime at the cost of a slightly off-style anime appearence then by all means. It's more for Batman fans than anime fans anyway.

And Che... I had never heard about that. That story is amazing, and the potential players in that film... wow!

As for American Gangster... that will be great, but I'm more looking forward to 3:10 To Yuma.
WannaB

Postby tankillo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:25 am

i wouldn't say they suck, but are far too crazy. i think that american writers should do the writing. manga spider-man sucked
tankillo

Postby CheMateo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:06 pm

Hey WannaB, do you know anything about The Dark Knight's viral advertising campaign?
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Yeah... lots. I've been following a lot of it ever since the bulk of what they did at comic-con.

I don't recall if I mentioned the Why So Serious phone number. At comic-con this year they had fake dollar bills that had been graffitied by the joker so that George Washington had Joker paint on his eyes and mouth. The bills had clues/instructions for a time & location across the street from the convention center. At the appointed time a phone number was written in the sky by airplanes. If you called the number you would hear a man being held hostage, who is being forced to read bad jokes, and arguably revealing cryptic clues about the viral marketing.

I haven't called since the week it happened but the number is 1-800-395-9646... nevermind. Just checked it. It's closed down.

There was also the I Believe In Harvey Dent websites. it was just a political campaign poster with that slogan and a pic of Aaron Eckhart as Dent. The slogan comes from the Batman graphic novel, The Long Halloween which was a retelling of the origin of Two Face. It's one of the more commonly looked to versions of the story.

There was also a I Believe In Harvey Dent Too website which was later vandalized in Joker fashion.

Also, I can't remember which of the websites had Ha Ha ha ha HA ha! hA! HA ha ha! HA HA Ha Ha ha ha HA! and so on and so forth hidden on the page, and it could only be revealed by highlighting it against the background.

Now the latest addition to the viral marketing comes from the Why So Serious? website.

http://www.whysoserious.com/

It's a jack-o-lantern that has been steadily rotting, and the candle slowly burning down. Apparently there was some referrence in the marketing (I believe in the phone number) that spoke of "see you in November" or I think it was November at least. In any case it is expected that the flame will burn itself out on Halloween. Again, a referrence to The Long Halloween, and if you look the Jack-o-lantern itself is carved identically to the one featured on the cover of The Long Halloween.

There's also news that a 7 minute prologue for The Dark Knight will play with the upcoming Will Smith movie I Am Legend only on IMAX screens, as several parts of TDK were shot in IMAX format, making it the first motion picture to be shot with IMAX tech.

In regards to I Am Legend, the movie is a remake of the Charleton Heston flick The Omega Man which was a remake of the Vincent Price black & white movie called The Last Man On Earth. The general premise across all 3 versions is that a virus wipes out the world's population, save for the one man who is immune, and a small percentage of people who didn't die, but rather mutated into nocturnal, vampire-esque, mutants. The final trailer for I Am Legend was just released and I'm kind of dissapointed to see that the mutants are being totally rendered in CGI. For that matter the CGI didn't appear to be that great. It looked like The Mummy had some CGI children with the robots from I, Robot. Of course I'm hoping it was just the trailer, or those particular moments that don't look good, or that it may be the I, Robot issue all over again. The CGI models look horrible, but the movie itself will be amazing, and in the end the models will seem fitting. We shall see I suppose.
WannaB

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion