A Question for Wrestling Historians

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

A Question for Wrestling Historians

Postby Deviant » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:45 am

I was just wondering, who are the longest reigning World Tag Team Champions in recent memory? These days, long World Title reigns seem to be all the rage, and I'm a big fan myself. But dating back to, let's say 1985, who would be the longest tag champs? I'd personally include all the different WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH and any other company you feel worthy.

I'm having a complete mental blank. I can't really think of any really long tag title reigns. Aries and Strong? Arrogance? Outsiders? I think they're all around the 8 months mark. Maybe longer for Nash and Hall. London and Kendrick weren't doing too bad the last time I checked, either.

The reason I ask is because I'd like to believe that Cape Fear have a chance of having a marathon run with the PWG tag titles, having a similarly respected and hyped reign as several recent World Champions. Can't you see Generico and Quicksilver holding their titles for a year or more, providing there's a steady stream of fresh opposition? Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but what's the history of long-reigning tag champions? How long would Cape Fear, or any tag team for that matter, have to hold their titles before it became some sort of record or something particularly impressive?
Deviant

Postby npdavis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:48 am

Consulting Wikipedia, Nash & Hall's first reign is about two weeks shy of a year. I honestly don't remember anything else going a year or more.
npdavis

Postby Chris. » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:33 am

Super Dragon and Excalibur - April 17, 2004 Santa Ana, CA
The X Foundation - June 19, 2005 Santa Ana, CA

From Wiki, that's gotta be a close contender, over a year.
Chris.

Postby Deviant » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:14 am

Chris. wrote:Super Dragon and Excalibur - April 17, 2004 Santa Ana, CA
The X Foundation - June 19, 2005 Santa Ana, CA

From Wiki, that's gotta be a close contender, over a year.

Ryan and Lost won them on June 19th, 2004, so that reign was just over two months.
Deviant

Postby Chris. » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:17 am

God damn Wikipedia.
Chris.

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 am

Thanks to reference sites:

WWF wise: Demolition held the WWF belts from March 27, 1988 to July 18, 1989

I'm pretty sure in Lucha and Puro, there were a lot of teams who held belts for ages. Just on a quick check I found: Ringo Mendoza and Cachorro Mendoza who apparently held the Mexican Tag Team Titles from June 18, 1982 to April 12, 1985.

Not many tag title reigns last that long anymore. But some do, like I'm thinking if Claudio hadn't signed to the WWE, the Kings of wrestling would have held the CHIKARA belts forever.

I think If Cape Fear hold the titles until June or to the 4th Anniversary show, it'll be an impressive reign.
TigerDriver98

Postby The Masked Akeem » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:15 pm

Yes, Demolition's lengthy title reign immediately came to mind.

Also, Misawa & Kobashi held the All-Japan Tag titles from 12/93, then won the vacated titles again in 12/94 (tag titles were vacated every December for the Real World Tag Team Tournament) and finally lost them in mid '95.
The Masked Akeem

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum