PWG Presents "Self-Titled" on Friday, October 6!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby Kamikaze » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:53 pm

Ugh, one day short of the original date changes my deal. Looks like I won't be going, but it doesn't sound like too great of a card. PWG always pulls through, but it's better to be excited about a show than not.
Kamikaze

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:54 pm

From what I heard, Chasyn Rance isn't being flown in and was already going to be in the area during the weekend.
SoCalAndy

Postby ToddMartin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:33 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:
noah_ther wrote:Checking Rances' website http://www.chasynrance.com/ it says he was supposed to face TJ Perkins here... I hope TJ hasn't burned his PWG bridge. :?

The Perkins match was booked for Saturday though. He probably just wasn't available on the Friday.
ToddMartin

Postby JustJay » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:02 pm

Don't expect to be very impressed...Rance ranges from mediocre to above average and has a prominent reputation as an egotistical dipshit.

If they wanted guys who are in the area and wrestled in Florida recently, Ryan Drago is RIGHT THERE.
JustJay

Postby BMH55 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:05 pm

I am one of the lone PWG fans who love the Reseda venue as it is only about 30-45 minutes from my High School (since the show is on Friday that helps because I like to get there early) and it is only about 25 minutes away from where I live. The venue itself isn't even all that bad, just would help if it was a little bigger.

Seeing Shelley back in PWG is going to be great, and I am probobly most looking forward to that. B Boy/Dragon vs. Arrogance will be good as well, as will Kazarian vs. Scorpio/Jade. This looks like PWGs smallest show with only 5 matches announced so far.
BMH55

Postby npdavis » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:25 pm

I haven't seen anything of Rance, but he can't hurt since it's not a fly in. Maybe he'll impress people that aren't expecting much.

Now, PWG needs to book Seth Delay before ROH decides to actually utilize him.
npdavis

Postby WannaB » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:26 pm

The venue itself isn't even all that bad, just would help if it was a little bigger.

Size shouldn't be an issue as I doubt PWG will draw 400 people for this show. I already know a lot of people who can't go due to it being a Friday, Plus with only 5 matches announced, no hint of any other possibilities, and given the attendence from the "less is more" shows that they did this summer while saving for BOLA I doubt PWG will even get 300 people. It'll probably be anywhere from 200-250 at best. So fear not, fewer rows & more leg room.

I'm just not too thrilled about the drive, and the guy in charge at 308. That guy=huge A-hole. The only thing I enjoyed last time was the bar & that probably has more to do with me being an alcoholic than anything.
WannaB

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:58 pm

I'm just not too thrilled about the drive, and the guy in charge at 308. That guy=huge A-hole.

Man, quit your bitching and be happy that there's a show going on.
SoCalAndy

Postby SoCalAndyIsGay » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:15 am

Yes! Back at the American Legion. Booze and good food and Air Conditioning (if they turn it on) to go along with some solid action.
SoCalAndyIsGay

Postby Evilguest » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:50 am

bford24 wrote:Sounds like a good card. Too bad I can't go. The location is way too far from work. Thank god there is another event on the 21st.

I can't make it either. :cry: To any show this month. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Evilguest

Postby noah_ther » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:10 am

Although I'll probably get "flamed" for this but I agree with the guy who said the show looked kinda mediocre at best for the normal PWG showing. Its understandable that alot of other shows are running that weekend and the date change probably affected alot of booking, but really only 2 matches on paper look like they'll have a chance to be special: SD/B-Boy vs Arrogance, Shelley/Sabin vs Cape Fear. Joey vs El Snowflake is a wash b/c no way is PWG going to make El Snowflake a champ, at this point I don't care about another Joey Ryan match till I know his opponent will take the title off him, they're all too damn similar now. Frankie vs Sky/Jade is another match in a string of matches that SHOULD lead to the blow off at ASW4 so it's not necessarily a "must see", plus the addition of Jade will kinda limit how much these guys can cut loose. And Rance vs Ronin....moving on.... unless they add another great match up this is more of a show that PWG addicts will see b/c they need their monthly fix, but that's just on paper. I'm sure all these guys will bust their asses to make up for the lack of star power and not let it be tooooo much of a let down from BoLA, but you gotta admit, it's a bit underwhelming on paper.

Regardless, my 50/50 stance on going is sliding upwards in probability each day b/c I'm a damn PWG addict and I haven't gotten a "hit" in a month... I need an intervention :cry:
noah_ther

Postby WannaB » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:54 am

I am happy there's a show Andy. If I were bitching about it I probably would've used some words other than "not too thrilled." Besides, everyone on this board has pissed and moaned about something in PWG that they haven't liked at one point or another. Whether it be a wrestler, a venue, or so on. So I don't think there's any harm in my vocalizing one or two inconveniences. Even you've complained about the venues before. You did say that the OC was gay, and that they (PWG) shouldn't do any more shows there. So do us all a favor and keep your hypocritical crap to yourself, or try laying some of that shit on the dozens of people who were bitching about the damn press release being "late," as if PWG owed it to them.
WannaB

Postby onlxn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:55 pm

Back to the card... you've got to assume that there'll be more than five matches. However, most of the fly-in types PWG tends to use are either on the card (Generico, Sabin, Shelley) or working ROH in Cleveland (Danielson, Aries, Davey, Sydal, Delirious, Roddy, Briscoes, Homicide, (deep breath) Hero, Claudio, and Cabana -- fuckin' ROH). The only other guys I can think of are Necro, M-Dogg, Petey and the Pitbulls. Doesn't make much sense to bring in Necro to work a random guy, Petey wasn't too popular of an addition at BOLA, and there are no name teams left to face the Pitbulls; they could bring out M-Dogg, I guess, but I think that however they fill the card from here, it probably won't involve fly-ins.

So what local talent could they use to fill this card out? Koslov's in Mexico, Topgun's in India... but Bino and Nemesis are around, as far as I know. I'd love to see a singles match between those two. You almost never see the opening-match guys get to work singles, and it'd be cool to see what those two could do with the ring to themselves. Would be a truly fresh match.

Still feels a match short, though. How about something like Disco Machine vs. Phoenix Star? They're familiar with each other from both PWG and Rev Pro, and I think Disco could be a good base for Phoenix's aerial stuff. I know Los Luchas have had a history of no-shows, but it seems to me that Zokre has no-showed more than Phoenix, and the latter is a much better worker at this point anyway. So yeah, something like

Bino Gambino vs. Nemesis
Disco Machine vs. Phoenix Star

would fill out this lineup nicely. (And if Los Luchas really are off PWG's radar, Charles Mercury or Tommy Williams would be a good sub.)

As I posted above, I'm not a huge fan of how this card is looking so far, but I think it could be a great opportunity to give the undercard guys some time and some focus. Give them singles matches, instead of random tags and six-mans. They're good workers, and hell, you might even draw a couple extra old Rev Pro fans if you focus on their vets. A couple undercard singles matches would actually make me pretty pumped for this show.
onlxn

Postby XxPsycho_MadnisxX » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Sounds like a great show, but i'll pass on it. I didnt like the reseda venue, it was too crowded. Not to mention no outside beverages or food.
XxPsycho_MadnisxX

Postby BMH55 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:22 pm

XxPsycho_MadnisxX wrote:Sounds like a great show, but i'll pass on it. I didnt like the reseda venue, it was too crowded. Not to mention no outside beverages or food.

This show won't be as crowded as BOLA, as someone pointed out, so crowdedness shouldn't be an issue.
BMH55

Postby SoCalAndy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:28 pm

WannaB wrote:

I am happy there's a show Andy. If I were bitching about it I probably would've used some words other than "not too thrilled." Besides, everyone on this board has pissed and moaned about something in PWG that they haven't liked at one point or another. Whether it be a wrestler, a venue, or so on. So I don't think there's any harm in my vocalizing one or two inconveniences. Even you've complained about the venues before. You did say that the OC was gay, and that they (PWG) shouldn't do any more shows there. So do us all a favor and keep your hypocritical crap to yourself, or try laying some of that shit on the dozens of people who were bitching about the damn press release being "late," as if PWG owed it to them.

Actually, I was referring to you always going "the owner is such an asshole" and shit. You've already said it a billion times now and it's getting old. He must not be that big of an asshole if he's letting PWG run there again now, is he? Also, I layed a bunch of shit on people bitching about the press release. And the OC is, and forever will be gay.

Jade will kinda limit how much these guys can cut loose.

Really? How do you know they wont go out while she tries to avoid the violence? If anything, she adds to the match and it will lead to Frankie wanting to get revenge on her while Sky prevents him from doing so.

I like this card. I don't care about what anyone says. This cards blows away anything that's being put on in SoCal right now.
SoCalAndy

October 6 Show

Postby Htornado » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:06 pm

I think the card is pretty good. Both tag muches should be fun, especially Cape Fear vs. Sabin/Shelley. Seeing Rance for the first time will be intersting. I'm looking forward to El Snowflake vs. Joey Ryan because HTornado is one of my favorite indy wrestlers. He's always a joy to watch. It'd be awesome if he won the belt, but it's very unlikely. Triple Threat Intergender match should be fun too. I'm definitely going too the show.
Htornado

Postby It's A Bomb » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:29 pm

But man, the First Blood handicap deal really sounds like a lame, gimmicky RAW match.

That's probably one of the worst posts I've read on this board.

This card doesn't look bad. The tag matches and the first blood match are enough to keep me happy.
It's A Bomb

Postby CheMateo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:50 pm

Yup, sounds like this show is going to be a small fun low wattage show much like last years October shows.
CheMateo

Postby JayJay » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:05 am

Los Luchas are working regularly for Konnan in Mexico. They fly down once or twice a month, and they're reportedly over pretty well as a heel tag team (gringo luchas from the States don't sit well with Mexican fans, even if they are in fact Mexican wrestlers). I don't know their schedule that well, but it might conflict with PWG.
JayJay

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum