Battle of Los Angeles Results (from oxlyn)

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Battle of Los Angeles Results (from oxlyn)

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:19 pm

I know the whole "can't edit" thing sucks, but I figure I'd post the results as they come in if that's cool with you people.

Credit to oxlyn:

Off to a late start, as per usual. The new venue (a Reseda Legion Hall that EPIC ran) is funky and crammed to the brim -- definitely looking like a sellout. TARO is taking tickets and Genki Horiguchi is at the merch table. Good times in So-Cal tonight. More soon...
npdavis

Postby Wreckless » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:24 pm

awsome i was looking forward to this but sadly it's 4am and i got a call i gotta work :cry: i'll check in tomoz hope every one enjoys the show :)
Wreckless

Postby bford24 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:29 pm

That would be very cool. I will be at nights 2 & 3 so i would love to know where things stand. So it was full, is there room between seats and rows?
bford24

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Dino comes out to welcome everybody -- he starts to say there've been a few changes to the card, but can't continue, because he's jumped by the motherfucking BRISCOE BROTHERS!!! They're pissed, and apparently they're both back in the tourney. Well, this got crazy quick...
npdavis

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:41 pm

1) Chris Sabin beat Colt Cabana in 9:01 with a rolling cradle (fun, low-intensity match that gelled better than expected; annoying, however, that Colt won't advance to face Generico/Delirious)
npdavis

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:07 pm

2) El Generico beat Delirious in 15:32 with two Yakuza kicks and a half-nelson suplex (really nice fun match between the two non-verbals, and the crowd was molten for Generico's first big singles win in forever; Generico sported some rad new gear)
npdavis

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:29 pm

3) CIMA beat M-DOGG 20 in 12:00 with the Schwein (just spots, as you'd expect, but well-hit and well-spaced; good showcase for CIMA, and a surprisingly good showing from M-Dogg, who got chants afterwards)
npdavis

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:46 pm

4) KEVIN STEEN beat MATT SYDAL in 16:00 with a second-rope Ligerbomb (lots of fun shtick from Steen (also sporting new gear) and good flying from Sydal; better than their April match, and probably MOTN so far)
npdavis

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:06 pm

random thoughts from oxlyn:

- Solid show so far, but not much more. In general, there's been much more shtick and goofing around than last year; only CIMA and M-Dogg really kept a sense of intensity throught their match. Thus far, no bad matches, no must-sees.

- Dino implied that there'd be changes to the show, but the first bracket proceeded as booked, and no further sign of the Briscoes thus far.

- So we've got Sabin/Generico and Steen/CIMA in round two so far -- both of those sound like style clashes to me, but whatever. Would be a real surprise if CIMA didn't win the block.
npdavis

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:35 pm

5) Dragon Kid beat Quicksilver in 12:08 with a springboard rana (DK was slightly sloppy, but this held together well, with real intensity and some killer spots; the best match so far)
npdavis

Postby Top_Gun_Mark_2 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:56 pm

npdavis wrote:
Dino comes out to welcome everybody -- he starts to say there've been a few changes to the card, but can't continue, because he's jumped by the motherfucking BRISCOE BROTHERS!!! They're pissed, and apparently they're both back in the tourney. Well, this got crazy quick...

WTF?!?!

AWESOME!!! :shock:
Top_Gun_Mark_2

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:57 pm

6) Roderick Strong beat Rocky Romero in (I think) 21:34 with the Stronghold (stiff, hateful and awesome, with Roddy being Roddy and Rocky giving the best performance I've ever seen from him; one of the best matches I've seen this year)

Night Three's first three quarterfinal matches:

- CIMA/Steen
- Sabin/Generico
- Strong/Dragon Kid
npdavis

Postby Top_Gun_Mark_2 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:58 pm

npdavis wrote:6) Roderick Strong beat Rocky Romero in (I think) 21:34 with the Stronghold (stiff, hateful and awesome, with Roddy being Roddy and Rocky giving the best performance I've ever seen from him; one of the best matches I've seen this year)

Night Three's first three quarterfinal matches:

- CIMA/Steen
- Sabin/Generico
- Strong/Dragon Kid

Thanks for the results so quickly guys....keep 'em coming! :D
Top_Gun_Mark_2

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 pm

- The Dynasty's partner is... oy... Petey Williams; the face team's partner is, as expected, Homicide
npdavis

Postby npdavis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:49 pm

7) B-Boy, Excalibur, Human Tornado & Homicide beat Joey Ryan, Chris Bosh, Scott Lost & Petey Williams; Excalibur pinned Joey after Petey turned and hit Joey with a Destroyer (a bit sloppy and nothing special, but a fun way to end the show)

After, B-Boy & 'Cide brawled with the Briscoes -- that tag and Petey/Joey seemed set up, but neither was announced.

Dat's it. Fun show.
npdavis

Postby Chris. » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:57 pm

Night 1 sounds friggen amazing.
Chris.

Postby MrPWG » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Finally...PETEY IS BACK!!!
MrPWG

Postby cspariah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:25 pm

I think Human Tornado may have gotten injured in the main event... at one point most of the wrestlers were outside the ring, setting up for a big running dive spot, and one of the faces called for Tornado, but HT stayed down on the other side of the ring. Then there was what felt like confusion, where nothing really was happening, and then it felt like they rushed to the finish. Obviously I can't be sure but that's how it felt to me. Still a great match tho. One of the cameramen almost got killed right in front of me when Bosh got whipped into him and the cameraman got whacked right into the ringpost.
cspariah

Postby evilpaz » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 am

I gotta agree that the matches were solid all around. The Generico/Delirious & CIMA/M-Dogg matches were the best, imo.

Yay for Homicide in So Cal~! I'm almost sure that it'll be Homicide/B-Boy vs. Briscoes tomorrow night.
evilpaz

Postby rockpaperscissors » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 am

Who thought Steen/Sydal was a MOTN candidate? It was plain horrible. Sydal tried and tried to get Steen going, but Kevin has put on like 20 more lbs in the past few months and was quickly out of breath and nowhere near as quick and agile as he was last year. It's too bad. People want to cheer Steen as his moveset is pretty good, but he's really gotten fat and lazy this year and clearly unmotivated to do better.

note: Dino implied that there were changes to the show - not tonight people, but the ones that happened last week. The brackets as they were printed today are happening as planned.

It was packed - much smaller than JCC. Nice bar though.
rockpaperscissors

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum