January 2 show

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

January 2 show

Postby El Asian » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Since its already confirmed and a card announced, might as well talk about this:

Angelico vs. Brian Cage
Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak
Sami Callihan vs. Trevor Lee
Jack Evans vs. Drew Galloway
Mike Bailey vs. Adam Cole
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Akira Tozawa
PWG Championship: Roderick Strong vs. Chris Hero

As expected, no Kyle O'Reilly, Young Bucks, Matt Sydal, Michael Elgin, and Ricochet due Wrestle Kingdom happening a few days later, though surprisingly no tag matches at all on this show
El Asian

Re: January 2 show

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Strange card. To be honest I thought Hero was going to be wrestling Tozawa and Sabre challenging Roddy. But both should be really good. Also really looking foward to Sami vs Lee. Not looking forward to Angelico vs Cage and Galloway vs Evans at all.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:28 pm

I don't, I think Drew vs. Jack could be fine but I guess they are saving Sabre vs. Strong for another show plus factoring in Kyle's rematch clause as well though as I said, it is odd to have no tag matches, good opportunity to bring back Team Tremendous or Beaver Boys or even bring in Tabarnak de Team as well.
El Asian

Postby eastbay510 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:04 pm

El Asian wrote:I don't, I think Drew vs. Jack could be fine but I guess they are saving Sabre vs. Strong for another show plus factoring in Kyle's rematch clause as well though as I said, it is odd to have no tag matches, good opportunity to bring back Team Tremendous or Beaver Boys or even bring in Tabarnak de Team as well.

Are there rematch clauses? Only rematches I can remember since I started going (Omega as champ) is Steen twice, both in 3 ways.

I'm gonna say this, I have a feeling Hero saying Kyle is coming back for his title was a heat of the moment thing. I can't imagine any scenario where anyone other then Zack would be a positive thing.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:22 pm

I think the rematch clause is just an unwritten rule in most of wrestling including PWG, I believe Hero used the same thing to miss BOLA that one year after losing the title to Bryan Danielson. Plus if Kyle or Sabre wins the title, it does have potential for a feud between those 2 later on.

Also, as pointed out, Angelico is out for 6 weeks due to injury, he probably might get replaced.
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Angelico's replacement is Chris Dickinson. Meh.
pwggrodd

Postby PWGnorthern » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:22 pm

Very interesting replacement. Different direction but I like it
PWGnorthern

Postby Luchaundead » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:22 pm

El Asian wrote:I think the rematch clause is just an unwritten rule in most of wrestling including PWG, I believe Hero used the same thing to miss BOLA that one year after losing the title to Bryan Danielson. Plus if Kyle or Sabre wins the title, it does have potential for a feud between those 2 later on.

Also, as pointed out, Angelico is out for 6 weeks due to injury, he probably might get replaced.

A rematch clause implies just that a clause written into the contract for the match that says in the case that the champion loses he get's a rematch to try to regain the title but, Kyle vs Roddy was an impromptu match so no contract, no rematch clause.
Luchaundead

Postby LBOinyamouf4sho » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:11 am

pretty cool to hear about dickinson. card looks good to me, though i think some kind of multi-man or even stipulation match would be nice just to add some variety.

personally, between CZW, FIP, and EVOLVE i've seen thatcher vs gulak enough. it's always pretty good but i've just seen it enough. that's just a personal thing though.
LBOinyamouf4sho

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:52 am

Some quick thoughts, not much to say to be honest:

-Opener was Cage vs Dickenson, brutal stuff, stiff as hell, head drops. Dickenson should be brought back.

-Gulak vs Thatcher. Match of the night. Slow as hell, but in a good way. To be honest this match probally wouldn't have gotten over 3 years ago back when all the DGUSA guys were around.

-Sami vs Lee was kind of a let down to be honest. I thought it would have been a brawl, but it wasn't nearly as brutal as I thought it would be.

-Galloway vs Evans was a lot better then I thought. Promo before the match by Jack. Fun stuff, Drew throwing Jack all over the place.

-Speedball vs Cole. not much to say, good stuff.

-Sabre vs Tozawa. Before the match there were dueling chants of "Lets go Sabre" "Tozawa" that went on forever, then "This is awesome" and "Match of the year". The last one lead to a funny moment where Zach, Akira, and Knox went to the back. Incredible couple minutes. Fantastic match, great counter wrestling.

-The title match. Crowd was not into this at all. It was really awkward, the crowd didn't know how to react, we wanted to boo Roddy, but we didn't want Hero to win. It just wasn't the match we wanted to see.

-After the match Sabre came out. I really thought he was gonna win the title. Very anticlimatic ending to a otherwise very good show. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.
eastbay510

Postby The Franchise13 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:09 am

eastbay510 wrote:Some quick thoughts, not much to say to be honest:

-Opener was Cage vs Dickenson, brutal stuff, stiff as hell, head drops. Dickenson should be brought back.

-Gulak vs Thatcher. Match of the night. Slow as hell, but in a good way. To be honest this match probally wouldn't have gotten over 3 years ago back when all the DGUSA guys were around.

-Sami vs Lee was kind of a let down to be honest. I thought it would have been a brawl, but it wasn't nearly as brutal as I thought it would be.

-Galloway vs Evans was a lot better then I thought. Promo before the match by Jack. Fun stuff, Drew throwing Jack all over the place.

-Sabre vs Tozawa. Before the match there were dueling chants of "Lets go Sabre" "Tozawa" that went on forever, then "This is awesome" and "Match of the year". The last one lead to a funny moment where Zach, Akira, and Knox went to the back. Incredible couple minutes. Fantastic match, great counter wrestling.

-The title match. Crowd was not into this at all. It was really awkward, the crowd didn't know how to react, we wanted to boo Roddy, but we didn't want Hero to win. It just wasn't the match we wanted to see.

-After the match Sabre came out. I really thought he was gonna win the title. Very anticlimatic ending to a otherwise very good show. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

Great review of the show. A couple of my quick thoughts:

I thought Dickenson looked amazing. I didn't think too much of him at first, but he stepped up and managed to keep up Cage in a "Big Man" type of fight. Cage took a couple of sick nasty bumps to the head. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a concussion halfway through the match. Dickensons is a mixture of Elgin Strength, Davey look and Dirty Daddy type of attitude. He should definitely be brought back.

Gulak and Thatcher had a great match, but I feel that Gulak is falling behind the rest of the PWG roster. His look and personality is no longer working for me. He was in Biff's shadow when they originally came in, and he is now loosing in every match he's in. I would pass on Gulak for future shows

What could of been the Match of the Night, Trevor vs Sami turned out to be really disappointing. I was really pumped up for this match before the show. I really enjoy the trash talking on twitter, they had a great brawl in the first few minutes into the match, and then it felt flat from there. Trevor carried the match and made Sami looked like a 50 year old man. And then out of nowhere, Trevor tapped out when he was right next to the ropes. Poor finish to what should of been MOTN.

Galloway vs Evans. Only 1 thing to say....please keep bringing Jack Evans back. He has the "It" factor with the talent to back it up.

Speedball vs Adam Cole. So happy to see Cole back. His the type of guy you love to hate, but don't want him to go away. Solid match.

To me, the last 2 matches had nothing to prove. There was no way Sabre or Strong were going to loose their respective matches. Knowing that, all you can do is sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen. As much as I enjoyed Sabre vs Tozawa, it was just too predictable with a weak ending. Sabre winning with a punt kick??? I believe that's a first.

Next PWG show needs to have Strong vs Sabre. Putting Strong with anybody else will pretty much be a waste of time.
The Franchise13

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:03 pm

So is Dickinson going to be the new it guy for PWG?
Garden State Saint

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:04 pm

The Franchise13 wrote:
eastbay510 wrote:Some quick thoughts, not much to say to be honest:

Great review of the show. A couple of my quick thoughts:

I thought Dickenson looked amazing. I didn't think too much of him at first, but he stepped up and managed to keep up Cage in a "Big Man" type of fight. Cage took a couple of sick nasty bumps to the head. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a concussion halfway through the match. Dickensons is a mixture of Elgin Strength, Davey look and Dirty Daddy type of attitude. He should definitely be brought back.

Gulak and Thatcher had a great match, but I feel that Gulak is falling behind the rest of the PWG roster. His look and personality is no longer working for me. He was in Biff's shadow when they originally came in, and he is now loosing in every match he's in. I would pass on Gulak for future shows

What could of been the Match of the Night, Trevor vs Sami turned out to be really disappointing. I was really pumped up for this match before the show. I really enjoy the trash talking on twitter, they had a great brawl in the first few minutes into the match, and then it felt flat from there. Trevor carried the match and made Sami looked like a 50 year old man. And then out of nowhere, Trevor tapped out when he was right next to the ropes. Poor finish to what should of been MOTN.

Galloway vs Evans. Only 1 thing to say....please keep bringing Jack Evans back. He has the "It" factor with the talent to back it up.

Speedball vs Adam Cole. So happy to see Cole back. His the type of guy you love to hate, but don't want him to go away. Solid match.

To me, the last 2 matches had nothing to prove. There was no way Sabre or Strong were going to loose their respective matches. Knowing that, all you can do is sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen. As much as I enjoyed Sabre vs Tozawa, it was just too predictable with a weak ending. Sabre winning with a punt kick??? I believe that's a first.

Next PWG show needs to have Strong vs Sabre. Putting Strong with anybody else will pretty much be a waste of time.

Great review man, mine was written when I was half asleep so I left a lot out.

-First and foremost I 100% agree about Strong/Sabre needing to happen sooner rather then later. I feel like the longer they go without doing Strong/Sabre the quieter the crowd will be as far as Roddy's matches go. Also within seconds after the finish a loud "We want Sabre" chant broke out even before we could boo Roddy. Hero really felt like an afterthought to be honest.

-"Dirty Daddy" "Get your shit in" has to be the weirdest dueling chants ever.

-The "Fuck you Justin" chant can be fun at times, but not during ultra serious matches like Gulak/Thatcher. People need to shut the fuck up with that and save it for a more light hearted match like Evans/Galloway.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I honestly don't get why Sabre/Strong wasn't the main event in the first place. Hero gets way too many title shots.
pwggrodd

Postby PWG_Dragon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:51 pm

I know the parking/lining up issues are frustrating. I'm working on getting things back to normal for you guys.
PWG_Dragon
Site Admin

Postby luca brasi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Super Dragon speaks!
luca brasi

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum