ELEVEN

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: ELEVEN

Postby CreedP » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 am

Oh, two things I forgot to mention... before she had a 'crimson mask', Candice had Super Dragon mask for a violence party... hilarious. :) (As was the finish, thumbtacks down the crotch of one of the Young Bucks followed up by a Ballplex onto the thumbtacks, yikes)

The other was poor Devin Chen.. Best Friends did a tandem dive over the top, and somebody's foot caught Chen right in the crotch! Yowza! As if that wasn't enough, the Bucks came over the top later and landed on him as well as Joey/Candice. Besides knocking Devin out for a short time, it also broke his camera. :( I can't imagine that fine piece of equipment was cheap at all...

We were discussing after the show about trying to start a kickstarter or something to see if people would chip in to help Devin get a new camera... I could spare a couple bucks, I'm sure others could as well...

CREED
CreedP

Postby Garden State Saint » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:25 pm

How did WCTT go over?
Garden State Saint

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Excalibur was wearing the funniest shirt I've ever seen. It was 2 poorly drawn low top boots and it said "Roderick Strong's Shitty Little Boots". HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
abouttreefitty350

Postby CreedP » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Soooo much going on in that tag title match. Opening dive attempt on the Bucks was met with chairs, but they rallied back and hit several dives anyway. WCTT got in some offense, but the Bucks came back and hit some cool moves using their normal offense with other stuff added in (onto chairs and such). At one point they brawled over by the women's restroom, I couldn't see the action, but it looked like Joey gave Candice a Rocket Launcher onto the Bucks from the stage.

Later on, Bucks went for a bag, poured it out into the ring.. it was.. gummi bears? WTF haha But someone got slammed into the bears (oh the humanity! lol) and Matt shoved a handful of them in his mouth, only to spit them on Candice. I think it was shortly after this that the Bucks went over the top and accidentally blasted Devin, knocking him out for a short while... ouch.

After a bit, the Bucks found the bag they wanted, which had the expected thumbtacks. One of the sicker bits was seeing them shove tacks in Joey's mouth, then superkicking his face.. ugh!

Somewhere in there, Bucks set up 4 chairs in a platform, but the planned move was countered, and the chairs were then folded and thrown in a pile, they were going to double superplex Joey onto the pile, but Candice gave them a double ballplex (which superplexed Joey anyway).

Somewhere else in there, Joey fought back, laid out one of the Bucks, then speared the other through the ring ropes and into a table by the entrance. Couldn't see it well from our side, should look great on the DVD :)

Trying to remember what all happened from last night, heh. But the big thing was Candice at ringside, and Bucks his the spike tombstone piledriver, with the spike coming from a slingshot from inside the ring to the floor. That's when Candice came up bloody as hell... there were literally pools of blood on the floor, mixed in with bits of streamers and even a few blonde hairs... kind of grizzly.

The Bucks had a shoe with thumbtacks shoved in the sole and were going to superkick Joey, but Candace staggered into the ring, managed to fight back, steal the shoe and slam the previous holder into the tacks barefoot!! Bucks ate a superkick with the spike boot, and the finish was the previously mentioned 'tacks in the pants' ballplex into the tack pile for the win.

I swear... one of the loudest pops I've heard in PWG. I wasn't there for Sold Our Soul when Kyle won, but I'm sure this was at least as loud as that. :) Such an awesome way to finish the anniversary show!

CREED
CreedP

Postby toby80 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Yikes. That sounds like a crazy ass match. Can't wait to see it!
toby80

Postby ShadowMaster » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Great show last night even though it was hot as fuck inside which made it pretty miserable at times . I'll keep this short all match's were great beside the Frankie v.s Kendrick match that match was brutal to sit thru . I remember back when Hero got let got from wwe that it was part that he had conditioning problems and I see why , It looks like he hasn't seen a gym in awhile .
ShadowMaster

Postby SlayJ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Another fantastic night in Reseda. I'm not gonna lie though…it was so damn hot in that place that I probably lost 7 or 8 pounds of sweat over the course of the evening. And I was just a guy sitting at ringside. I can't imagine how it must've felt for the performers. But EVERYBODY worked hard on the show and delivered very good to incredible matches!

Some quick (or not so quick) notes…

I was the second guy in line for the show with the first being a nice guy from Germany named Marcus. It's always cool to meet fans who come from far away places to see PWG. The PWG camera guy (Jason I believe) went around an interviewed some of us old school fans before the show. I have no clue what's going to come of the interviews, but I was honored to be asked to contribute. It was the typical good time bullshitting with everybody in line. Kevin Steen showed up and received a big round of applause before mockingly yelling "SAVE IT FOR THE RING". But you could sense the legit emotion from Kev as he passed by.

Took seemingly forever to get everybody inside and get the show started. The place was predictably PACKED and the crowd seemed in good spirits despite the heat and delays. Chucky T and The Bucks seemed really worn out before the show, but you'd never have known it by their performances. Beer line stretched about 2 miles.

I'm glad they had Ciampa vs Romero up first as this match would've probably died a silent death had it been placed in the 2nd half of the show. But the crowd was pretty hot for the action and this match was better than I expected (somewhere in the *** range). Not much else to really be said. It kicked off the night and we were off and running...

ACH vs Cedric was phenominal! The crowd was totally split for the two guys and were very in to the match. Just a great fast paced athletic match that certainly didn't skimp on the big spots but also didn't use them as a crutch to hide any weaknesses. They mixed it up well and I see big things for both guys in the upcoming year.

Best Friends against The Unbreakable F'n Shabang (or something). I never heard a reason for Brian Cage not being there, so it was a bit of a surprise seeing Elgin teaming with Gargano (who seems to be the designated "fill-in" guy for PWG right now). Chucky and Trent are probably my favorite tag team going these days, so I was rooting hard for them to win this. For some damn reason my girlfriend asked me to get a picture of Chuck's ass (because she claimed to like the fact that it say's "Kentucky Gentleman" on his tights…yeah, whatever). So I spent four or five minutes trying to get a clear shot and failed miserably. But when I wasn't focused on focusing on Chuck's cheeks I really thought this was a fun little battle. Obviously a match with these four had power spots, high flying, comedy, etc. They attempted the Elgin/Cage stalling vertical suplex spot, but it backfired as Gargano took Trent (I believe) from Elgin in midair and just immediately dropped him down to the mat. At one point Chuck was thrown out of the ring and just came and took a seat next to me for a breather (which resulted in a good drunken selfie for me). Shenanigans aside, there was plenty of good action and I was stoked to see Trent and and Chuck getting the first crack at Candice and Joey.

Steen vs Lee…I don't think there's very many matches that truly can represent the end of an era…but when you consider what Kevin Steen has meant to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla and the void that will have to be filled now that he's leaving, I think this qualifies. Trevor Lee had both the privilege and the painful curse of being the final opponent/punching bag for Mr. Wrestling, and he was up to task to take the ass kicking! After receiving a Streamer Shower (not to be confused with a Cleveland Steamer), Kevin rolled around on the mat basically becoming a multi-colored mummy to our amusement and delight. Once the bell rang though, it was back to business. The crowd was obviously chanting up a storm as "KILL STEEN KILL" was probably taken around the block 5 or 6 times. Trevor was actually in the traditional baby face roll here, getting bullied by the bigger stronger man yet gamely fighting back. Steen took Lee on a tour around the ring, showing him the ring apron back first several times. But although Kev dominated a large portion of the action, it was Lee who had the last laugh. I'm not sure how much of a rub this gives Trevor, but stay tuned. The goodbye speech from Steen was good, although I think there have actually been more emotional farewells in PWG. But regardless of that, nobody will be missed more.

I think a large part of the crowd was pretty desperate to get outside and get some fresh air during intermission, as it was becoming close to unbearable in that place. I went next door to my hotel room to drink as much water as I could shove down my pie hole and then headed back over (while my girlfriend wasn't even sure if she wanted to go back in there). Brian Kendrick and Kazarian were already in action when I got back to the Legion Hall and there were STILL a bunch of fans chilling outside. The crowd heat was pretty down for having a couple old schoolers making long awaited returns, but they really worked hard and the last several minutes that I saw were very good. Kaz did a big Rah-Rah speech about PWG afterwards that was well intended but not well timed (following Steen and in front of a crowd who was pretty burnt out and searching for their second wind). I think this would have been much more well received had it been a tag match with Christopher Daniels and Paul London being thrown in to the mix. But you can't win 'em all.

Roddy Strong beating Adam Cole was just tremendous. The crowd was slowly getting back in to the swing of things and these two delivered in a big time way to help wake everyone up. I was initially bummed that Gargano wasn't a part of this as originally announced, but by the end I'm glad it was the way it was. I think Strong is one of the most underrated guys over the past decade and I would love to see him have a run as PWG champion at some point. And yes, in case you were wondering, there WERE chops and back breakers here.

The Champ, Kyle O'Reilly vs Chris Hero for the strap!!! Hero was sitting over by us selling his merch before the show and said he felt confident that it was HIS night. Unfortunately for him, he was incorrect. I've heard some differing opinions on this match. I personally thought it was a fascinating chess game of a bout. Move/countermove…a "thinking man's Pro Wrestling match" if you will. Tough thing about doing this kind of match on a 95 degree evening at midnight though is that you are going to lose some of the fading crowd. Was it physical? Hell yes it was physical!!! They hit each other hard and often. Hero did a masterful job working over Kyle's leg. I mean, the psychology was on point. But coming on the heels of a faster paced, more traditional Pro Wrestling match with two other hard hitters (Cole and Strong) and coming right before the huge brawl that everybody was anticipating, this was in a tough spot. I enjoyed it though and thought it was a very solid PWG title defense that will probably be lost in the shuffle unless it's greatness comes across stronger on DVD. My live rating would probably be ***1/2. But if you love stiff strikes and submission wrestling, this might be your bag, baby!

GUERRILLA WARFARE…Hell, you've no doubt already seen Candice's Carrie-esque Crimson Mask by now. So yeah, it was obviously VIOLENT! I honestly have no clue if there's a female equivalent to the "Muta Scale" as far as blood content within a match goes. But I'd definitely like to propose this match as Exhibit A in creating the "Candice Scale" for the ladies. Where to start with this thing??? Creed did a good job laying down the major spots in the match….and there were TONS of 'em! Everybody went balls out here (ESPECIALLY Candice…who doesn't even own balls!). The plunder was kept pretty basic but effective for most of the match (mainly chairs and trash cans). Joey took a headfirst bump into the bottom of a trash can that was as cringeworthy as any of the Drake Younger trash can bumps from last year. Just BRUTAL!!! The Gummy Bears being used keeps the tradition of wacky weapons being featured in Joey's hardcore matches (Remember the Legos?). Everybody was flying over the top rope and brawling all over. The Bucks hit the Stuff Piledriver right next to me on the floor and that really looked like it SUCKED for Candice. I would actually sneak a glance over at my girlfriend (who did actually make it back for the last couple matches) and she had a legit look of horror and disgust over the majority of this massacre. I'm not really sure where I'd place this on a list of the most crazy and violent PWG matches ever. But I'd say it might just be a shade below Super Dragon/Joe, Steen/Generico (ladder match), Drake/Callihan and maybe one or two others. But DEFINITELY north of 4 Stars and a HUGE victory for The World's Cutest Tag CHAMPIONS!

Thanks again to everybody in PWG (except Legion Larry!). And congrats on ELEVEN years! It's been a great ride!
SlayJ

Postby loserkings007 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Just posted my pictures from the show on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/loserkings007/ ... 513&type=1

loserkings007

Postby loserkings007 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16 pm

loserkings007

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:49 pm

loserkings007 wrote:DVD Preview is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMS6-gY ... e=youtu.be

That was fast! Great preview Super Dragon!!!
abouttreefitty350

Postby BayAreaPWGFan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

What was the whole bit about "dustin going to wcw" about?
BayAreaPWGFan

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum