Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest on March 17!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby PWG_Silverback » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest on March 17, 2012!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

Santa Rosa, CA - Believe it or not, we're pretty busy over at the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com) offices. Sure, we usually don't get in until around 11AM (technically speaking, our intern David gets in at 8 to answer the phones, though it's his job to tell everyone that they've dialed the wrong number. David's last day as an intern will be when he asks why we just don't leave an outgoing voicemail explaining as much. Then, he will be a man.), and typically take a 2 hour "power lunch" at noon, and are out of the office no later than 4 to beat the traffic (we require David to stay until 5PM, in case anyone calls while we're out), but you would be pretty amazed by what sort of stuff we can come up with in those abbreviated workdays.

For example, our next event, World's Finest, taking place on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA, features a gigantic tag team main event that, were we to work a standard 8-hour workday, just simply could not have happened. When the Board of Directors convenes for their 3:45PM match-making meeting, the first order of business is "What is the best and craziest card we can come up with in the next fifteen minutes or preferably less?" From there, it is a rapid fire stream of ideas from the greatest minds in professional wrestling, with the most absurd idea usually the top choice for the next event. Were the match-making sessions any longer, common sense might prevail, and the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla live events you've come to know and love might be considerably more subdued.

Or at least that's what we tell ourselves. We think it's worked out pretty well so far.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest takes place on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Front Row tickets are $30, and General Admission tickets are $25. World's Finest is scheduled to feature:

Four-Way Tag Team Madness
Appetite for Destruction (Super Dragon & Kevin Steen) vs. Super Smash Bros. (Player Uno & Stupefied) vs.
RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

-- Any rational professional wrestling promotion would realize that putting four of the top tag teams in the world together in the same match is a crazy idea. After all, isn't all that work on the ceiling going to be expensive after these guys literally blow the roof off the place? Of course it's going to be expensive, but that is the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla commitment to excellence! Now quit asking stupid questions and just thank your lucky stars that Pro Wrestling Guerrilla even exists, let alone puts on nutty matches like this.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
El Generico (Champion) vs. Eddie Edwards (Challenger)

-- Prior to the 2011 Battle of Los Angeles, El Generico was on a bit of a losing streak. Sure, it might not seem that way; after all, El Generico is arguably the biggest fan favorite in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla history. However, from the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles to immediately before the 2011 tournament, the current Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion had a 2-7 win-loss record (the majority being tag team losses). Since the opening bell of the 2011 Battle of Los Angeles, El Generico has gone an amazing 7-0, picking up the World Championship and besting arch-nemesis Kevin Steen twice along the way.

While El Generico entered 2012 with an astounding amount of momentum, there is one man that appears primed to derail the El Generico Express and defeat the World Champion, and that man is Eddie Edwards. Edwards handed El Generico his last significant singles defeat (at All Star Weekend 8 - Night Two) and now looks to repeat his performance at World's Finest on March 17. Does Eddie Edwards have what it takes to return El Generico back to his losing ways, or will the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion kick off his reign by defeating the last man to beat him one-on-one?

Singles Match
Alex Koslov vs. Kyle O'Reilly

-- Due to Japanese commitments, Davey Richards will be unable to compete on World's Finest on March 17. However, we are happy to announce that Alex Koslov will be returning to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla to take on Kyle O'Reilly in singles competition!

Singles Match
Willie Mack vs. Roderick Strong

-- When Willie Mack met Roderick Strong for the first time ever in singles competition at Card Subject to Change III, many expected Willie to be starstruck. After all, Willie Mack had been following the career of Roderick Strong very closely, first as a fan of professional wrestling, then later as a fellow competitor. However, it was Roderick that was seeing stars, as Willie Mack brought the entirety of his high-powered offense to bear.

While Roderick Strong ultimately prevailed, the match served as a tremendous learning opportunity for Willie Mack, who now finds himself very close to his first-ever shot at the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship. A victory over a competitor like Roderick Strong would presumably put Willie Mack near the head of the line for a shot at the World Champion. While Roderick is still trying to recover from the loss at the hands of Masaaki Mochizuki at Kurt Russellreunion 3, a victory over Willie would help put him back on track in a big way.

Singles Match
Scorpio Sky vs. TJ Perkins

Singles Match
Candice LeRae vs. Joey Ryan

Plus much, much more!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest takes place Saturday, March 17, 2012, at 8:00 PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Front Row tickets are $30, and General Admission tickets are $25. Online tickets orders are subject to the PayPal Service Charge (2.9% + $0.30). Tickets purchased in advance allow for priority admittance to the venue, along with guaranteed event seating. Online tickets sales for this event will end on March 13, 2012, at 11:59PM. Any remaining tickets will be available for purchase at the door. Tickets are not refundable.

Video recording devices are not permitted. Card subject to change.
Absolutely no outside alcoholic beverages are allowed on American Legion property.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Re: Pro Wrestling Guerrilla returns to Reseda on 3/17!

Postby leninrocks » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Now that is a main event.
leninrocks

Postby PWGnorthern » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:42 pm

wow thats huge, so i guess DDT4 wont be happening March, hopefully SSB can impress even more
Glad the updates are finally trickling in...
PWGnorthern

Postby The Franchise13 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Wow... Amazing Main Event. Maybe for the Tag Title? As long as Yuma gets killed... I'll be happy
The Franchise13

Postby eastbay510 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 am

I wouldnt mind this being a non-title match to be honest, that way we will have no idea who will win.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 am

Also I wonder if this is gonna be elimation or first fall wins.
eastbay510

Postby Meltman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:25 pm

It's a single-fall non-title match, as the lack of words such as "elimination" and "championship" would suggest.

Come on, people.
Meltman

Postby PWG_Silverback » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest on March 17, 2012!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

Santa Rosa, CA - Believe it or not, we're pretty busy over at the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com) offices. Sure, we usually don't get in until around 11AM (technically speaking, our intern David gets in at 8 to answer the phones, though it's his job to tell everyone that they've dialed the wrong number. David's last day as an intern will be when he asks why we just don't leave an outgoing voicemail explaining as much. Then, he will be a man.), and typically take a 2 hour "power lunch" at noon, and are out of the office no later than 4 to beat the traffic (we require David to stay until 5PM, in case anyone calls while we're out), but you would be pretty amazed by what sort of stuff we can come up with in those abbreviated workdays.

For example, our next event, World's Finest, taking place on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA, features a gigantic tag team main event that, were we to work a standard 8-hour workday, just simply could not have happened. When the Board of Directors convenes for their 3:45PM match-making meeting, the first order of business is "What is the best and craziest card we can come up with in the next fifteen minutes or preferably less?" From there, it is a rapid fire stream of ideas from the greatest minds in professional wrestling, with the most absurd idea usually the top choice for the next event. Were the match-making sessions any longer, common sense might prevail, and the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla live events you've come to know and love might be considerably more subdued.

Or at least that's what we tell ourselves. We think it's worked out pretty well so far.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest takes place on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Front Row tickets are $30, and General Admission tickets are $25. World's Finest is scheduled to feature:

Four-Way Tag Team Madness
Appetite for Destruction (Super Dragon & Kevin Steen) vs. Super Smash Bros. (Player Uno & Stupefied) vs.
RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

-- Any rational professional wrestling promotion would realize that putting four of the top tag teams in the world together in the same match is a crazy idea. After all, isn't all that work on the ceiling going to be expensive after these guys literally blow the roof off the place? Of course it's going to be expensive, but that is the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla commitment to excellence! Now quit asking stupid questions and just thank your lucky stars that Pro Wrestling Guerrilla even exists, let alone puts on nutty matches like this.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
El Generico (Champion) vs. Eddie Edwards (Challenger)

-- Prior to the 2011 Battle of Los Angeles, El Generico was on a bit of a losing streak. Sure, it might not seem that way; after all, El Generico is arguably the biggest fan favorite in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla history. However, from the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles to immediately before the 2011 tournament, the current Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion had a 2-7 win-loss record (the majority being tag team losses). Since the opening bell of the 2011 Battle of Los Angeles, El Generico has gone an amazing 7-0, picking up the World Championship and besting arch-nemesis Kevin Steen twice along the way.

While El Generico entered 2012 with an astounding amount of momentum, there is one man that appears primed to derail the El Generico Express and defeat the World Champion, and that man is Eddie Edwards. Edwards handed El Generico his last significant singles defeat (at All Star Weekend 8 - Night Two) and now looks to repeat his performance at World's Finest on March 17. Does Eddie Edwards have what it takes to return El Generico back to his losing ways, or will the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion kick off his reign by defeating the last man to beat him one-on-one?

Singles Match
Davey Richards vs. Kyle O'Reilly

-- With tag team partner Adam Cole unavailable, Kyle O'Reilly will compete in singles action for the first time ever in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla at World's Finest. Finding a suitable opponent for O'Reilly was not difficult, as Davey Richards put his name on the top of that list months ago when he first heard O'Reilly would be debuting.

The dynamic between Davey Richards and Kyle O'Reilly is as unique as it is familiar. The teacher-student relationship in professional wrestling is a common one, however it is rare that the two are competing at a similarly high level, like Richards and O'Reilly find themselves now. Can Kyle O'Reilly follow in his mentor's footsteps and achieve a high level of success early on in his Pro Wrestling Guerrilla career? Or will Davey Richards prove to Kyle O'Reilly that he still has a way to go before he can call himself one of the World's Finest?

Singles Match
Willie Mack vs. Roderick Strong

-- When Willie Mack met Roderick Strong for the first time ever in singles competition at Card Subject to Change III, many expected Willie to be starstruck. After all, Willie Mack had been following the career of Roderick Strong very closely, first as a fan of professional wrestling, then later as a fellow competitor. However, it was Roderick that was seeing stars, as Willie Mack brought the entirety of his high-powered offense to bear.

While Roderick Strong ultimately prevailed, the match served as a tremendous learning opportunity for Willie Mack, who now finds himself very close to his first-ever shot at the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship. A victory over a competitor like Roderick Strong would presumably put Willie Mack near the head of the line for a shot at the World Champion. While Roderick is still trying to recover from the loss at the hands of Masaaki Mochizuki at Kurt Russellreunion 3, a victory over Willie would help put him back on track in a big way.

Singles Match
Scorpio Sky vs. TJ Perkins

Singles Match
Candice LeRae vs. Joey Ryan

Plus much, much more!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest takes place Saturday, March 17, 2012, at 8:00 PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Front Row tickets are $30, and General Admission tickets are $25. Online tickets orders are subject to the PayPal Service Charge (2.9% + $0.30). Tickets purchased in advance allow for priority admittance to the venue, along with guaranteed event seating. Online tickets sales for this event will end on March 13, 2012, at 11:59PM. Any remaining tickets will be available for purchase at the door. Tickets are not refundable.

Video recording devices are not permitted. Card subject to change.
Absolutely no outside alcoholic beverages are allowed on American Legion property.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Re: Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's World's Finest on March 17!

Postby ajday » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:25 pm

If only I didn't have finals the next week I would come down from Portland for this show! Jeeshush.

Sorry for any one else, but I'm sold on Joey Ryan vs. Candice alone. Don't know what it is about them two, but it seems like ever since BOLA '10 I've loved every time they've been in the ring with one another. That's just my feelings on it, though, as I'm sure others are against it.
ajday

Postby The Franchise13 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 am

The name "World's Finest" describes this show perfectly. 3 main event matches and a Strong/Mack Rematch. I can't wait for March 17th.
The Franchise13

Postby Meltman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 am

A very rematch-heavy show this looks to be (Edwards/Generico, Mack/Strong, Candice/Joey) but overall it looks solid. O'Relly vs. Richards in PWG will def stand out from them wrestling anywhere else. Surprised to see TJP back and even more surprised that Sky is in a singles match.

That's already 6 matches announced. I hope there's room for the Taylors, Avalon, B-Boy, etc.
Meltman

Postby talley_1986 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:41 am

I'm really surprised to see that TJ Perkins and Scorpio Sky have never had a singles match in PWG. They've both been in PWG for years and started back in 2003.
talley_1986

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:31 am

Worlds Finest sounds like a name for an ROH show, mabey their trying to tell them something, lol. I am so glad to see Generico vs. Edwards for the title, I really felt If you add up all their work from 2011 from every promotion these were the 2 wrestlers in ring last year. I already know some people will hate that Kyle/Davey will happen, I personally cannot wait for that one either. And mabey for an opener how bout all 3 Taylors vs B-Boy/Kadillak/B, (but Im guessing they wont have another fly in, Im fine with that) or mabey Kadillak/B vs. Avalon/Rosas.
eastbay510

Postby Meltman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am

I'd round the show out with The Taylor Boys vs. Avalon & Rosas and B-Boy vs. B vs. Kadillak in a 3-way.
Meltman

Postby CheMateo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Oooo, love that main event! Generico/Edwards should be great. Davey vs O'Reily is the match from the undercard that I am looking forward to the most. That will deliver the goods.

eastbay510 wrote:Worlds Finest sounds like a name for an ROH show, mabey their trying to tell them something, lol.

Not to me. When I came across March's title this came to mind.

ImageImage
CheMateo

Postby El Asian » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:10 pm

unless you aren't a big comics fan, the reference would be obvious plus I always felt Dragon and Steen were the PWG equivalent of Batman and Superman, only not as dickish and probably eviler as well, also if PWG is continuing the comic theme for titles, I'm kinda thinking the April 21 show will be called The Brave and The Bold
El Asian

Postby B-Esser » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Made me think of the comic book first too.

The ROH show was called "World's Greatest."
B-Esser

Postby Meltman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 am

So fucking cool.
Meltman

Postby SlayJ » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 am

Well it looks like another fantastic night in beautiful Reseda. I'm bringing along a first timer so I hope to get him hooked on the Pro Wrestling Crack that is PWG. The main event should be pretty wild and action packed, not to mention a big time appetizer for DDT 4 (and I'll say it now, PLEASE bring back the Briscoes for the tourny!). It would be great to see RockNES get the victory here to build for a title shot down the line. This has gotta be Goodtime and Yuma's year! As for the rest of the show, the only thing I would've done different is give Willie Mack his first shot at the PWG Title. After beating Hero and Mochizuki, Willie is on a roll and should get the nod here over Edwards IMO. And that would open up the possibility for a Number One Contenders match between Eddie and Davey which would be tremendous giving this show a 3 headed monster of main events (and build more of a set-up for Eddie vs Generico). Just my two cents.

As it is the Roddy/Willie rematch should be a lot of cringe-worthy fun. If they can somehow improve upon their first match it might be a surprise show stealer. Scorpio vs TJP is a good mid-card match that hopefully doesn't wear out its welcome. Both guys are good workers, but I've noticed that TJP's matches are hotter when they don't drag on too long. 7 or 8 minutes of fast paced action would be perfect here. Joey and Candice will be a entertaining gropefest that probably eclipses the WWE's PG standards a time or ten. Davey vs Kyle = lots of stiff kicking and chopping I would imagine. And probably some pretty damn good wrestling as well. And as for the title match, Generico all day, baby!!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing what other matches will be announced. And I will see the rest of the early birds in line on the 17th
SlayJ

Postby So Cal Punk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am

Hey, are we just gonna forget about the tension between Generico & Ricochet starting last year? Cuz I'd really like to see a follow up, even if it's just one match.
So Cal Punk

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum