The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Moderators: PWG_Silverback, PWGTickets

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby Meltman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Garden State Saint wrote:I'm all for Steen vs. Sami happening in PWG but I wouldn't mind waiting either as you raise a good point.

A possible scenario is Steen pulling double duty like he did on some 2011 shows. He could face Sami and then be in another match with Dragon.

Colt Banana wrote:I absolutely agree that my main reason would just be for the heat, I'm very curious to see the rection from the pwg crowd. I suppose my ideal scenario would be a multi night BOLA where he lost the 1st night and then worked the multi man the next night where he could just rile up the crowd. I think he's a solid enough wrestler who doesn't do anything flashy because he doesn't want the fans to cheer him, admittedly I don't watch every ROH show so again other people may have more informed opinions, but from what I've seen of him I've enjoyed his work. There may be a chance that I like Mike Bennet as a concept more than the wrestler. I really dig the idea of a wwe style wrestler in an ROH context where he's the opposite of everything the company supposedly stands for and I'd like to see if that dynamic would translate into pwg where things have always been a bit less serious than roh (and that's a strength of PWG's IMO ). As for all the wrestlers you listed, I'd love to see them all in pwg too and I'm not necessarily sure I'd book Bennet at the expense of one of them either, specifically Elgin who is somebody I'd love to see before the end of the year.

PWG already has a few "WWE-style" wrestlers (Brian Cage, Joey Ryan) who are far more talented than Mike Bennett. Bennett is one of the reasons people have been turning away from ROH because he's bland on top of being mediocre, so there's no redeeming quality.

The crowd reaction to him would not be good. It would fall somewhere between Brandon Gatson and Hurricane Helms. Flat. And having him in BOLA would be a sacrilege to the tournament's integrity.
Meltman
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby El Asian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:59 pm

I do agree that the April 21 does need to have some title defenses, they could probably build a Steen vs. Callihan through a tag match, as for possible partner for Callihan, I'm thinking Arik Cannon would be the most likely answer given that Cannon and Callihan are teaming in DGUSA, another possibility, I think, would be Masada, who can be a solid worker working with the right people plus he can actually work with a legit wrestling company instead of crap run by Mr. California
Meltman wrote:PWG already has a few "WWE-style" wrestlers (Brian Cage, Joey Ryan) who are far more talented than Mike Bennett. Bennett is one of the reasons people have been turning away from ROH because he's bland on top of being mediocre, so there's no redeeming quality.

The crowd reaction to him would not be good. It would fall somewhere between Brandon Gatson and Hurricane Helms. Flat. And having him in BOLA would be a sacrilege to the tournament's integrity.

I have to agree here, Bennett really is just an average wrestler and not really worth flying out compared to many guys that should get a shot in PWG, especially for BOLA, even those who work "WWE-style"
User avatar
El Asian
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby Meltman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:07 pm

El Asian wrote:I do agree that the April 21 does need to have some title defenses, they could probably build a Steen vs. Callihan through a tag match, as for possible partner for Callihan, I'm thinking Arik Cannon would be the most likely answer given that Cannon and Callihan are teaming in DGUSA, another possibility, I think, would be Masada, who can be a solid worker working with the right people plus he can actually work with a legit wrestling company instead of crap run by Mr. California

The more I think about it the more the double duty idea seems plausible. My guess is if they did do the Sami/partner vs. Appetite deal, they'd pair him with a PWG guy as opposed to a DUF partner to also get their own guy over. Although Pinkie Sanchez in PWG is an idea I enjoy because he's got a ton of character.

Have you seen any Masada stuff recently? He's really become a shitty wrestler. A few years ago I'd support bringing Masada in, but he's lost it.
Meltman
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby krayzie Bone » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Yeah Masada pretty much sucks now. I'm so glad that PWG is bringing Sami Callahan. He is just freeking awesome, now we just need AR Fox and Rich Swan.
Sports Entertainment Sucks
krayzie Bone
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby El Asian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:57 pm

no, I haven't, I don't follow CZW that much anymore, maybe you guys have a point about him
User avatar
El Asian
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby krayzie Bone » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:54 pm

El Asian wrote:no, I haven't, I don't follow CZW that much anymore, maybe you guys have a point about him


Actually now is the time to follow it. It came a long way since Zandig sold it to DJ Hyde. Its a lot better now.
Sports Entertainment Sucks
krayzie Bone
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:47 am

krayzie Bone wrote:
El Asian wrote:no, I haven't, I don't follow CZW that much anymore, maybe you guys have a point about him


Actually now is the time to follow it. It came a long way since Zandig sold it to DJ Hyde. Its a lot better now.

There is still some garbage but at the same time Adam Cole, Sami Callihan, AR Fox, Rich Swann, Johnathan Gresham, Drake Younger and Robert Anthony are all regulars there. I have also heard Uhaa Nation made his debut recently.
eastbay510
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby Garden State Saint » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:30 am

krayzie Bone wrote:Yeah Masada pretty much sucks now. I'm so glad that PWG is bringing Sami Callahan. He is just freeking awesome, now we just need AR Fox and Rich Swan.


Maybe the next All Star Weekend.
Image
User avatar
Garden State Saint
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:58 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:51 am

Garden State Saint wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote:Yeah Masada pretty much sucks now. I'm so glad that PWG is bringing Sami Callahan. He is just freeking awesome, now we just need AR Fox and Rich Swan.


Maybe the next All Star Weekend.

Ill take Gargano over Swann
eastbay510
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby jdrouskirsh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Meltman wrote:
Garden State Saint wrote:I'm all for Steen vs. Sami happening in PWG but I wouldn't mind waiting either as you raise a good point.

A possible scenario is Steen pulling double duty like he did on some 2011 shows. He could face Sami and then be in another match with Dragon.

Colt Banana wrote:I absolutely agree that my main reason would just be for the heat, I'm very curious to see the rection from the pwg crowd. I suppose my ideal scenario would be a multi night BOLA where he lost the 1st night and then worked the multi man the next night where he could just rile up the crowd. I think he's a solid enough wrestler who doesn't do anything flashy because he doesn't want the fans to cheer him, admittedly I don't watch every ROH show so again other people may have more informed opinions, but from what I've seen of him I've enjoyed his work. There may be a chance that I like Mike Bennet as a concept more than the wrestler. I really dig the idea of a wwe style wrestler in an ROH context where he's the opposite of everything the company supposedly stands for and I'd like to see if that dynamic would translate into pwg where things have always been a bit less serious than roh (and that's a strength of PWG's IMO ). As for all the wrestlers you listed, I'd love to see them all in pwg too and I'm not necessarily sure I'd book Bennet at the expense of one of them either, specifically Elgin who is somebody I'd love to see before the end of the year.

PWG already has a few "WWE-style" wrestlers (Brian Cage, Joey Ryan) who are far more talented than Mike Bennett. Bennett is one of the reasons people have been turning away from ROH because he's bland on top of being mediocre, so there's no redeeming quality.

The crowd reaction to him would not be good. It would fall somewhere between Brandon Gatson and Hurricane Helms. Flat. And having him in BOLA would be a sacrilege to the tournament's integrity.

I wouldn't call him bland and no redeeming quality, he's got far more charisma than anybody else in ROH ...I actually enjoy him in ROH, just because I love his character and he pulls it off so well, but no way would I want to see him in PWG...
jdrouskirsh
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby CheMateo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:30 pm

JAG wrote:
CheMateo wrote: That match would be fun to see. But I wish things with Low Ki did not go south as I would liked to have seen Ki/Koslov II in PWG. The two men had a great match, better than Ki/Davey in my opinion, in Pro Wrestling War.


That match was awesome! I was there, it was actually my first indy show. I was so impressed at how they beat the hell out of each other, and were so competitive for all 20 fans in attendance. Glad I got the dvd to that show through eBay


Wasn't that WAR's last show? I remember seeing flyers for it at the JCC and thinking I should go. My pals went but for some reason I did not end up going. I regretted that. It was many years before I finally got to see Koslov/Ki and the infamous brawl with Teddy Hart moonsaulting off a basketball hoop.
User avatar
CheMateo
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:13 pm
Location: Farmington Dist. L.A.

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby Meltman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:27 am

jdrouskirsh wrote:
Meltman wrote:
Garden State Saint wrote:I'm all for Steen vs. Sami happening in PWG but I wouldn't mind waiting either as you raise a good point.

A possible scenario is Steen pulling double duty like he did on some 2011 shows. He could face Sami and then be in another match with Dragon.

Colt Banana wrote:I absolutely agree that my main reason would just be for the heat, I'm very curious to see the rection from the pwg crowd. I suppose my ideal scenario would be a multi night BOLA where he lost the 1st night and then worked the multi man the next night where he could just rile up the crowd. I think he's a solid enough wrestler who doesn't do anything flashy because he doesn't want the fans to cheer him, admittedly I don't watch every ROH show so again other people may have more informed opinions, but from what I've seen of him I've enjoyed his work. There may be a chance that I like Mike Bennet as a concept more than the wrestler. I really dig the idea of a wwe style wrestler in an ROH context where he's the opposite of everything the company supposedly stands for and I'd like to see if that dynamic would translate into pwg where things have always been a bit less serious than roh (and that's a strength of PWG's IMO ). As for all the wrestlers you listed, I'd love to see them all in pwg too and I'm not necessarily sure I'd book Bennet at the expense of one of them either, specifically Elgin who is somebody I'd love to see before the end of the year.

PWG already has a few "WWE-style" wrestlers (Brian Cage, Joey Ryan) who are far more talented than Mike Bennett. Bennett is one of the reasons people have been turning away from ROH because he's bland on top of being mediocre, so there's no redeeming quality.

The crowd reaction to him would not be good. It would fall somewhere between Brandon Gatson and Hurricane Helms. Flat. And having him in BOLA would be a sacrilege to the tournament's integrity.

I wouldn't call him bland and no redeeming quality, he's got far more charisma than anybody else in ROH ...I actually enjoy him in ROH, just because I love his character and he pulls it off so well, but no way would I want to see him in PWG...

So what makes you defend a guy's skills and also be against having him in PWG at the same time?
Meltman
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby jdrouskirsh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Meltman wrote:So what makes you defend a guy's skills and also be against having him in PWG at the same time?

some guys just aren't a good fit for certain promotions, and this is one of those cases, even if he is one of the best things ROH has going for them right now
jdrouskirsh
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby eastbay510 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 pm

jdrouskirsh wrote:
Meltman wrote:So what makes you defend a guy's skills and also be against having him in PWG at the same time?

some guys just aren't a good fit for certain promotions, and this is one of those cases, even if he is one of the best things ROH has going for them right now

You think Mike Bennett is one of the best things about ROH? Seriously?
eastbay510
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby El Asian » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 am

there are plenty of ROH guys I rather see in PWG over Mike Bennett, like the Bravado Brothers, Michael Elgin, and especially Robert Evans (best known as Barrister RD Evans in ROH and Archibald Peck in Chikara), the only way I'd be for Mike Bennett to appear in ROH is if Maria is with him
User avatar
El Asian
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 am

El Asian wrote:there are plenty of ROH guys I rather see in PWG over Mike Bennett, like the Bravado Brothers, Michael Elgin, and especially Robert Evans (best known as Barrister RD Evans in ROH and Archibald Peck in Chikara), the only way I'd be for Mike Bennett to appear in ROH is if Maria is with him

By the way you can watch The Bravados matches from NOAH on daily motion (theres also a direct link from their facebook page). While they have great charicters they are still green, and really need to work out, because they almost no athletism (which is why there in NOAH anyway). But I would definatly say they have a lot of potential (expecially Harlem) I say bring them in, but not for a year or so.
eastbay510
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby Meltman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:11 am

jdrouskirsh wrote:
Meltman wrote:So what makes you defend a guy's skills and also be against having him in PWG at the same time?

some guys just aren't a good fit for certain promotions, and this is one of those cases, even if he is one of the best things ROH has going for them right now

You think that a "charismatic" guy fits better in a super-serious promotion like ROH than he would in PWG? Though I agree Bennett is wrong for PWG (because he stinks) I think your logic is weird. Maybe you see Bennett as charismatic because everyone else in ROH is stone-faced and have boring personas. In PWG he'd just be another chump because PWG guys show such charisma.

As for the Bravados...please. They're chumps. If you wanna bring in a jobber-type fun tag team, try The Olsen Twins.
Meltman
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 am

Meltman wrote:
jdrouskirsh wrote:
Meltman wrote:So what makes you defend a guy's skills and also be against having him in PWG at the same time?

some guys just aren't a good fit for certain promotions, and this is one of those cases, even if he is one of the best things ROH has going for them right now

You think that a "charismatic" guy fits better in a super-serious promotion like ROH than he would in PWG? Though I agree Bennett is wrong for PWG (because he stinks) I think your logic is weird. Maybe you see Bennett as charismatic because everyone else in ROH is stone-faced and have boring personas. In PWG he'd just be another chump because PWG guys show such charisma.

As for the Bravados...please. They're chumps. If you wanna bring in a jobber-type fun tag team, try The Olsen Twins.

The Bravados are not chumps, look how far they have come in the last year or so. They have been having really good matches with Future Shock and The Young Bucks in ROH. Yes I just said they still need some work, and really need to start hitting the gym (like Im one to talk) but check out http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xocrvw_03-kotaro-suzuki-vs-harlem-bravado-noah-01-21-12_sport and http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xocrox_02-atsushi-aoki-vs-lancelot-bravado-noah-01-21-12_sport, once again not great matches but you can definatly see the inprovements since last year. Im not saying bring them in now, but in a year or so I wouldnt be shocked if they are a really good tag team. And they still have a couple months in NOAH, we will see where they are at by then.
eastbay510
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby Meltman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:05 am

I don't care how they look, I'm all for more out-of-shape guys in wrestling to break up the monotony. It's just that I don't see value in bringing them in. They're not even credible in their home promotion. I like comedy acts but I don't even think they're funny, certainly not in the ring.

They've had good matches against 2 of the best teams going? Remarkable. For the record they've probably faced Future Shock 10 times already because they're jobbers. Eventually a good match was bound to occur.

It's also not a good sign when a wrestler goes to Japan and doesn't quite make a mark. Their act is obviously unique. It would be like flying Grizzly Redwood in.
Meltman
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Re: The "Wrestlers You Like to See Brought In/Back" Topic

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 am

Meltman wrote:I don't care how they look, I'm all for more out-of-shape guys in wrestling to break up the monotony. It's just that I don't see value in bringing them in. They're not even credible in their home promotion. I like comedy acts but I don't even think they're funny, certainly not in the ring.

They've had good matches against 2 of the best teams going? Remarkable. For the record they've probably faced Future Shock 10 times already because they're jobbers. Eventually a good match was bound to occur.

It's also not a good sign when a wrestler goes to Japan and doesn't quite make a mark. Their act is obviously unique. It would be like flying Grizzly Redwood in.

Im not saying they need to work out because of their body types, but because they can barely jump high enough to dropkick a guys chest. Your right to be honest, they are jobbers right now. I can see your point about being in there with Future Shock and The Young Bucks being 2 of the best going, but all their matches have been good against each other, and The Bravados have stood out in those matches. They are not in Japan to stand out or become stars at this moment but so they can train in the NOAH Dojo. I like their gimmick, but it looks like ROH may be repackaging them. Im the first one who said bring them in to PWG, now Im saying give them time, I beleve they will be ready to bring in sometime within the next year or two. Only time will tell.
eastbay510
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests