2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Moderators: PWG_Silverback, PWGTickets

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby jdw » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 am

El Hijo del Generico wrote:If you are the same jdw I'm thinking of, you know enough about Japanese wrestling to know that you do not have to be based on Inoki solely to be a strong style wrestler.


"strong style" is New Japan heavyweight style, Inoki's more than anyone else's. It's Inoki and Shinma's bullshit phrase for Inoki's "martial art". I don't think that's really what Hero bases his work on, even the primary thing. He's pretty broad based in what he does, far closer to a New Japan *juniors* mentality of being a bit of a melting pot of what he does. At BOLA he won matches with Kawada's submission (which of course I popped for) and Kobashi's finisher (far closer to Kobashi's style of hitting it than Mutoh's), and his elbow is pure Misawa. The cravate isn't a strong style staple.

It's possible that you could drop on me a quote from Hero where he decribes his style of working as "strong style". I think he'd be mistaken on that, just as Meltzer was back in the 80s and 90s when he use to refer to UWF-style as "strong style".

I love Hero's work, and to me he was the highlight of the two shows. I don't even mind the elbows because as you pointed out, he mixed things around in his matches. I flat out dug the opening chain wrestling he did with Daniels on the first night. So I think we're on the same side: Hero's a terrific worker, and it's really hard to find any flaw in his overall work on the to nights... and lord knows I have a reputation record of pointing out flaws that drives people nuts. ;) My point in the early response was that I wouldn't toss "strong style" out as a defense of Hero's work as he's pretty broad in what he does.

John
jdw
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:06 am

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:33 am

jdw wrote:
El Hijo del Generico wrote:If you are the same jdw I'm thinking of, you know enough about Japanese wrestling to know that you do not have to be based on Inoki solely to be a strong style wrestler.


"strong style" is New Japan heavyweight style, Inoki's more than anyone else's. It's Inoki and Shinma's bullshit phrase for Inoki's "martial art". I don't think that's really what Hero bases his work on, even the primary thing. He's pretty broad based in what he does, far closer to a New Japan *juniors* mentality of being a bit of a melting pot of what he does. At BOLA he won matches with Kawada's submission (which of course I popped for) and Kobashi's finisher (far closer to Kobashi's style of hitting it than Mutoh's), and his elbow is pure Misawa. The cravate isn't a strong style staple.

It's possible that you could drop on me a quote from Hero where he decribes his style of working as "strong style". I think he'd be mistaken on that, just as Meltzer was back in the 80s and 90s when he use to refer to UWF-style as "strong style".

I love Hero's work, and to me he was the highlight of the two shows. I don't even mind the elbows because as you pointed out, he mixed things around in his matches. I flat out dug the opening chain wrestling he did with Daniels on the first night. So I think we're on the same side: Hero's a terrific worker, and it's really hard to find any flaw in his overall work on the to nights... and lord knows I have a reputation record of pointing out flaws that drives people nuts. ;) My point in the early response was that I wouldn't toss "strong style" out as a defense of Hero's work as he's pretty broad in what he does.

John


All very true.
Image
User avatar
El Hijo del Generico
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby LUCKYDRUNKSTONERPUNK » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Was totally drunk, but did i hear them say that the next show will be on Oct 9?
ImageImage
User avatar
LUCKYDRUNKSTONERPUNK
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:13 am
Location: La Puente

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby fatallylost » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 pm

LUCKYDRUNKSTONERPUNK wrote:Was totally drunk, but did i hear them say that the next show will be on Oct 9?


I was on my way to the door, but I heard the same thing. Or, at least I believe I heard it.
#PWGkliq #IWLCrew #NobodieCares #GooniesNeverDie
User avatar
fatallylost
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:19 pm
Location: La Puente, CA

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby Meltman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:15 pm

So the next show's a Saturday show. After that I'm assuming we'll get a November double-shot to wrap up the year (an ASW-type thing), bringing the total of 2010 shows to 11.

Or maybe instead of the double-shot we'll get a Speed of Sound/Guerre-type deal with shows one week apart.

Either way, PWG has had too few shows this year.
Meltman
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby krayzie Bone » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Ebassan did you quote me because you like men and you are upset that I like women?

Anyways I don't give a fuck if John went to Japan or not, Hero's work is strong style and if you don't agree with that, then ya all some clownz.

I still want to know thou, why is it ok to chant "Fuck You Hero" a guy that is internationally known, who wrestled on all continents minus Antarctica, Lemuria and Atlantis lol, but God forbid you do the same thing to Joey? Please guys get rid of your hang ups and double standards, life will get better I promise.
Sports Entertainment Sucks
krayzie Bone
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby Sillentassasin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:12 pm

LUCKYDRUNKSTONERPUNK wrote:Was totally drunk, but did i hear them say that the next show will be on Oct 9?


you heard correctly... even was re-announced when someone asked when people started to walk out
Sillentassasin
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby redboar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:43 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:Ok lets be honest here!

So its not right to chant "this is bull shit" when Joey wins, but its perfectly fine to chant "fuck you Hero"? each and every show?

People were chanting "This is Bullshit" because Joey has been doing comedy matches for the past few years and fans no longer expect Joey to win serious matches. I'm a Hero fan, so I yelled "This is Bullshit" because I wanted Hero to win, thats about it. I had no political agenda, I'm not even from California, I was just marking out for Hero so no malicious intent on my part. Joey is one of the owners and he put himself over at BOLA, it happens in wrestling all the time, trust me I've seen it a lot from John Zandig back in a day lol Do I like it? No, but its not a big deal.

Do I believe Joey deserves to win, yes I think he does, he busted his ass to put California wrestling scene on the map and for that I respect him very much. Joey is also one of the PWG originals so its always good when the founding fathers are recognized. Like I said no politics here for me.

Overall BOLA was a great show, just as good as last year's. My favorite match of the weekend was Six Man Tag on night two.


Came with "krayzie" after not going to a live PWG show for over two years. I had a great time and BOLA was among the best shows I've seen in person. Fans were overall good, heard some typical anti Chris Hero bullshit which I expected. He has a vast array of moves and technical skills, hits very stiff, years of accumulated experience beyond what most wrestlers can dream, wrestled in every major country that has pro wrestling, helps to train the top talent, and uses the elbow a lot. Joey is part owner of PWG, does a lot of comedy, wears the Hollywood cock cleavage trunks, has decent old school moves and skills, and uses the superkick a lot. Big difference. Joey is also tough as nails and took beatings on both nights 1 and 2, been wrestling for many years and paid his dues. Get over it if you don't like it. I don't either, but that's how wrestling works. At least when wrestlers win we know it's fixed, while Silva the biggest dancing pussy I ever saw, and someone who pulls impossible wins out of UFC when he gets beaten all night long. Fuck UFC, wrestling is still good if not WWE or TNA. LOL
redboar
 

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby jdw » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:13 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:Anyways I don't give a fuck if John went to Japan or not, Hero's work is strong style and if you don't agree with that, then ya all some clownz.


Well that put me in my place. ;)

John
jdw
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:06 am

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby krayzie Bone » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

I was wrong you no clownz, you is a lizzard cow mixed with a black n mild lol
Sports Entertainment Sucks
krayzie Bone
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby Souf Centrol » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:21 pm

I for one enjoyed BOLA and thought Joey was going win, if not him hero. I was the few that were chanting FOR JOey since most people were going against him and I always go for hero

Krayzie is right for once, there should not be a double standard. If it's ok to say fuck hero then it should be ok to say this is bullshit. It was just the way everybody did it which made hero speak up for Joey
Image
Image
Souf Centrol's Music
Twitter: SoufCentrol
#PWGkliq
User avatar
Souf Centrol
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby Matt Flash » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:09 am

El Hijo del Generico wrote:
AmericanWolvesMark wrote:
Ok, I'll give you Saturday night. He was pretty great on Saturday and his elbow meant something since it led directly to the finish(which was very random and disappointing not based on who won, just on how suddenly daniels tapped right when I felt Hero and Daniels had gotten into a good groove). And last time I checked, he was still finishing people off with his standard roaring elbow in ROH and Japan. And yes he throws the same elbow more than twice. I remember that sequence on Sunday where he hit Joey with three straight elbows and they were all the same spin to build momentum and hit type elbows. Again, I don't hate Hero, I would just like him vary his moveset a little bit more. He's getting better at it, but he still needs to cut back on the elbows is all.


Do you count every move everyone does? He can't win with people like you. In the first three matches, very few elbows, but in the last he went crazy, but it wasn't weird, it fit the match. Some people do certain moves alot, and I don't see people counting every god damn move other people do. It isn't a big deal, it's nitpicking as people search for some reason to get upset. You weren't yelling out each one he did in the other matches when there were less, and you weren't counting when Roddy chopped, which is common for him. Hero's style is that instead of lots of punches or kicks or other strikes, his is an elbow. For some reason, people can't get past that, and it really baffles me that fans want to harp on it. He had arguably two of the best matches of the show (vs Daniels and vs Tozawa) and here you are focusing on the elbows he threw, which were not incongruent or out of place. It seems to me like you either are looking for a reason to complain, or to get attention in the crowd because you so cleverly can insult a wrestler's work.

jdw wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote:Ok American Wolves, let me ask you a question, and believe me I'm not asking this to put you down or insult you; Do you understand strong style wrestling?


I didn't know that Hero based his wrestling on Inoki. I learn something knew every day.

John


If you are the same jdw I'm thinking of, you know enough about Japanese wrestling to know that you do not have to be based on Inoki solely to be a strong style wrestler.


Roddy's chops are in no way, shape or form, a part of ANY of his finishing moves and/or holds. Hero's finish (Or at least one of his many) is a variation on a forearm/elbow strike. It's not the same thing, I understand that. If an MMA (sidenote: Why the fuck is it so awkward to say a MMA fighter? The M isn't a vowel, and yet it flows so much better when it's said "an MMA fighter) fighter Backhand punches you once, and later in the fight hits a spinning backfist, OBVIOUSLY the spinning back fist is more lethal, and more likely to knock you out.

I know Hero's whole psychology with those is "I hit the elbow to set up another elbow" as opposed to Strong hitting back breakers to soften a wrestler up for the Strong Hold, and I don't mind. But after a certain point, it gets tiresome. Same with Nigel and his Lariats. They almost always look brutal and just stiff as fuck, but once it's kicked out of enough, you stop thinking it'll end a match.

Hero's been good about it for a while, now. I know he only hit one elbow against Daniels, don't remember against Tozawa (Which I'd excuse based on principle, that match was insanely good), don't remember against Gatson and I stopped counting vs. Joey. And I'll give a pass for the finals, because it's the damn finals. You're supposed to go all out and fight through pain and it's much more believable.

Maybe you could blame it on they Joey hate, or maybe still on Hero's overall saturation of elbows, but the crowd was DEAD during the Superkick/Elbow sequence. Flat as shit. I can get over his overuse of elbows in the right spots/moments/matches. No one cared when they were just destroying each other with their signature strikes. And they should have.

Compare this to a guy like Mitsuharu Misawa, who's forearms were over as hell, because he knew how to use them, and his opponents knew to sell them like death. He didn't always go for pinfalls right after them, thus there was less waste on them for nearfalls. Hero has PLENTY of moves he can use as finishers. And I have no problem with him using multiple elbows. Maybe the compromise is Hero just doesn't go for a pinfall everytime he hits one? Maybe just use them in the early stages of the match to wear an opponent down, or get back the momentum and switch him to an offensive front?

Either way, I don't see why Wolves at yelling Hero "You're better than this" means he's trying to insult Hero and get himself over. It's not like he's one of the fucking douchebags yelling out stupid shit like "I HATE SWISS CHEESE" at Claudio, or "TAKE HIM TO BOOTCAMP!" when Hero throws his opponent into his foot in the corner. And he didn't say it in the stupid chanting cadence trying to get other people to join in with him. He had an opinion, he said it directly at Hero and not to anyone else in the crowd, and that was that. That's not insulting. That's criticism. Not constructive criticism, but then again it's not insulting or hateful either. He's got an opinion and he voiced it. Why's that not ok?

Another sidenote: Anybody remember the Young Bucks' heel turn back at DDT4 2009? Of course you do. Who's to say this is any different, with Joey getting absolutely shit on? It's like literally the EXACT same situation. Claudio returned to PWG and was mega over, basically being 1000x better than he was when he was last in PWG. Everyone took to him, and when Joey won (A consistently over guy who is one of the most popular wrestlers on the roster), they were pissed. Same as Young Bucks (A consistently over team who are one two of the most popular wrestlers on the roster), beating the debuting Men of Low Moral Fiber, who the crowd immediately took to as well. The Bucks took so many great, believable nearfalls that the crowd got pissed at THEM, because their new "darlings" (Omega and Taylor) were impressing so much that they wanted them to pull off the massive upset.

That was unplanned. Is it so much of a stretch that PWG could've planned it, this time? Not at all.

That was a lot more than I'd intended to write. Yeesh.
User avatar
Matt Flash
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:37 am
Location: Oxnard

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:34 am

Matt Flash wrote:Maybe you could blame it on they Joey hate, or maybe still on Hero's overall saturation of elbows, but the crowd was DEAD during the Superkick/Elbow sequence. Flat as shit. I can get over his overuse of elbows in the right spots/moments/matches. No one cared when they were just destroying each other with their signature strikes. And they should have.


Since the crowd turned on Joey after his Claudio match, I find it hard to believe that Hero's elbows were to blame. If the crowd is booing, chanting "this is bullshit" and mad about Joey, and then they stay mad, how can you ascribe any of the crowd's issues to Hero? People were still chanting for him.

Matt Flash wrote:Either way, I don't see why Wolves at yelling Hero "You're better than this" means he's trying to insult Hero and get himself over. It's not like he's one of the fucking douchebags yelling out stupid shit like "I HATE SWISS CHEESE" at Claudio, or "TAKE HIM TO BOOTCAMP!" when Hero throws his opponent into his foot in the corner. And he didn't say it in the stupid chanting cadence trying to get other people to join in with him. He had an opinion, he said it directly at Hero and not to anyone else in the crowd, and that was that. That's not insulting. That's criticism. Not constructive criticism, but then again it's not insulting or hateful either. He's got an opinion and he voiced it. Why's that not ok?


It's not ok because it is a false criticism to being with. It's not ok because someone in the audience is breaking up the spirit of the match with the loud, wrong, and mistaken criticism at the wrong moment. He can hate it and say it here, fine. But to be both wrong and to try to get other people in the crowd to look at you while you are being so clever and critical is the problem. It is insulting, because saying "you're better than this" says what you are doing is not good or is low quality. I agree that the other comments were stupid, but when a great wrestler is having a crowd member count and criticize a move during the match it is disrespectful, and when he is the only one saying that, it appears that he is trying to get everyone else's attention.

Matt Flash wrote:Another sidenote: Anybody remember the Young Bucks' heel turn back at DDT4 2009? Of course you do. Who's to say this is any different, with Joey getting absolutely shit on? It's like literally the EXACT same situation.


It's a very similar situation, and the causes are alot a like. I think that one major difference is that the Bucks going into that DDT4 had not been doing comedy matches and missing shows. I think both those things made it problematic for Joey to win.
Image
User avatar
El Hijo del Generico
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby MegaKnux » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 am

[quote="Matt Flash] Why the fuck is it so awkward to say a MMA fighter? The M isn't a vowel, and yet it flows so much better when it's said "an MMA fighter)[/quote]
Lol it's because when you say "M" you pronounce it phonetically as "Em" which begins with the e vowel sound, thus constituting the an.

I think.
MegaKnux
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby ozmania » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 am

krayzie Bone wrote:People were chanting "This is Bullshit" because Joey has been doing comedy matches for the past few years and fans no longer expect Joey to win serious matches.


El Hijo del Generico wrote:It's a very similar situation, and the causes are alot a like. I think that one major difference is that the Bucks going into that DDT4 had not been doing comedy matches and missing shows.


I don't get this. Didn't Joey Main Event the 6 year anniversary show in a Guerrilla Warfare match then go to the semi-final of last years BOLA and just wrestle Great Muta this past January?? What comedy matches are you talking about?
ozmania
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:56 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby PhenomenalTLD » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:03 pm

ozmania wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote:People were chanting "This is Bullshit" because Joey has been doing comedy matches for the past few years and fans no longer expect Joey to win serious matches.


El Hijo del Generico wrote:It's a very similar situation, and the causes are alot a like. I think that one major difference is that the Bucks going into that DDT4 had not been doing comedy matches and missing shows.


I don't get this. Didn't Joey Main Event the 6 year anniversary show in a Guerrilla Warfare match then go to the semi-final of last years BOLA and just wrestle Great Muta this past January?? What comedy matches are you talking about?

Only comedy match I can think of is the one with Von Erie and even that wasn't really...
User avatar
PhenomenalTLD
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 am

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 pm

ozmania wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote:People were chanting "This is Bullshit" because Joey has been doing comedy matches for the past few years and fans no longer expect Joey to win serious matches.


El Hijo del Generico wrote:It's a very similar situation, and the causes are alot a like. I think that one major difference is that the Bucks going into that DDT4 had not been doing comedy matches and missing shows.


I don't get this. Didn't Joey Main Event the 6 year anniversary show in a Guerrilla Warfare match then go to the semi-final of last years BOLA and just wrestle Great Muta this past January?? What comedy matches are you talking about?


As the Worm Turns: 6 Man with LaRae and Bonham vs. Von Eerie and Cutlers, full of boobplexes and sexual comedy.
Titannica: Wrestled Von Eerie. Included some silliness.
DDT4: Did not wrestle.
DIO!: Wrestled as "Malachi Cutler" in a match that included humor, including his name.
Seven: Did not wrestle.

Perhaps he did not do tons of comedy, but it has been an aspect of his matches. He hasn't had a serious match against a contender or a major singles match all year. Missed 2 of the last 5 shows. So while you could definitely argue it hasn't been all comedy, he definitely did some comedy, and he was not really participating in a lot of matches to build him as a serious contender. You also can't say that he "just" did something in January, which was 8 months ago.

Joey is a great wrestler and a star in SoCal, but if anyone had spent most of the year in non-singles matches, not present, or in humorous matches, the crowd probably still wouldn't have bought it. I was just looking for a reason why the crowd turned on him, and this seems just as likely as anything- he hasn't been built as a serious contender.
Image
User avatar
El Hijo del Generico
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby krayzie Bone » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:30 pm

"You are better then this" is indeed a very stupid comment, because if anything, Hero improved in the past few years. Right now Hero is at his best, you would have a point if his elbows were weak and fake, but since his elbows are stiff and realistic you have no logical point, and no reason what so ever to criticize his offense.

Joey Ryan is still a good wrestler but let's be realistic here, this is not the same Joey who wrestled Frankie Kazarian and I will tell you exactly when his comedy act began. It began when he adopted that whole 70's sleezy gimmick, thats when the focus was on his gimmick rather then on his wrestling, thats when fans began to focus on his gimmick and his wrestling took a back seat. Now I loved the gimmick, but I also realize that the gimmick hindered his wrestling. Now if Joey was still a serious wrestler as in the days of Kazarian, no fan would chant "this is bullshit" when Joey won BOLA, I guarantee you that.
Sports Entertainment Sucks
krayzie Bone
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby OSKMIA » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:02 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:It began when he adopted that whole 70's sleezy gimmick, thats when the focus was on his gimmick rather then on his wrestling, thats when fans began to focus on his gimmick and his wrestling took a back seat. Now I loved the gimmick, but I also realize that the gimmick hindered his wrestling. Now if Joey was still a serious wrestler as in the days of Kazarian, no fan would chant "this is bullshit" when Joey won BOLA, I guarantee you that.


This is so true!!! You hit the nail on the head man.
OSKMIA
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby Matt Flash » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:48 pm

El Hijo del Generico wrote:
Matt Flash wrote:Maybe you could blame it on they Joey hate, or maybe still on Hero's overall saturation of elbows, but the crowd was DEAD during the Superkick/Elbow sequence. Flat as shit. I can get over his overuse of elbows in the right spots/moments/matches. No one cared when they were just destroying each other with their signature strikes. And they should have.


Since the crowd turned on Joey after his Claudio match, I find it hard to believe that Hero's elbows were to blame. If the crowd is booing, chanting "this is bullshit" and mad about Joey, and then they stay mad, how can you ascribe any of the crowd's issues to Hero? People were still chanting for him.

Matt Flash wrote:Either way, I don't see why Wolves at yelling Hero "You're better than this" means he's trying to insult Hero and get himself over. It's not like he's one of the fucking douchebags yelling out stupid shit like "I HATE SWISS CHEESE" at Claudio, or "TAKE HIM TO BOOTCAMP!" when Hero throws his opponent into his foot in the corner. And he didn't say it in the stupid chanting cadence trying to get other people to join in with him. He had an opinion, he said it directly at Hero and not to anyone else in the crowd, and that was that. That's not insulting. That's criticism. Not constructive criticism, but then again it's not insulting or hateful either. He's got an opinion and he voiced it. Why's that not ok?


It's not ok because it is a false criticism to being with. It's not ok because someone in the audience is breaking up the spirit of the match with the loud, wrong, and mistaken criticism at the wrong moment. He can hate it and say it here, fine. But to be both wrong and to try to get other people in the crowd to look at you while you are being so clever and critical is the problem. It is insulting, because saying "you're better than this" says what you are doing is not good or is low quality. I agree that the other comments were stupid, but when a great wrestler is having a crowd member count and criticize a move during the match it is disrespectful, and when he is the only one saying that, it appears that he is trying to get everyone else's attention.

Matt Flash wrote:Another sidenote: Anybody remember the Young Bucks' heel turn back at DDT4 2009? Of course you do. Who's to say this is any different, with Joey getting absolutely shit on? It's like literally the EXACT same situation.


It's a very similar situation, and the causes are alot a like. I think that one major difference is that the Bucks going into that DDT4 had not been doing comedy matches and missing shows. I think both those things made it problematic for Joey to win.


Sorry, that was unclear. I didn't mean Hero's elbows were the reason people were hating on Joey. I meant the oversaturation could have been a reason that the Superkick/Forearm sequence had the crowd so quiet. There was still massive cheering for Hero, but that spot got hardly any reaction.

And who are you to say Wolves yelled something so he could get himself over and try and get the crowd's attention? I was sitting right next to the guy. He even said in his post he'd only yell it when Hero walked by him. Not in the middle of the match, where things are silent, and he'd have to raise his voice, letting everyone hear him. Just when Hero walked by. And it's just his opinion. Not right or wrong, just his own thoughts. Criticism is in the eye of the beholder (not the exact phrase, fuck it). Something someone else loves, you may hate. And vice versa. He paid for the ticket, and has every right to express how he's feeling about something he likes, or doesn't like. That's the whole point of going to a show. To be entertained, allow yourself to get hooked emotionally and get into the matches. Get lost in the matches and storylines. As long as you're not trying to start a chant or get yourself over, there's nothing wrong with voicing your displease with someone or something. And I honestly believe he did it in the most friendly and non insulting way. You can disagree but you can't say the dude was wrong.

Not to mention saying "You're better than this" absolutely does NOT mean he thinks Hero sucks. It doesn't mean he thinks Hero can't wrestle, or that his wrestling is low quality. If I were to say a team had a really good record, even though they lost some games they should've won, and my comment is "come on guys, you're better than this", that doesn't mean I think the team is shit. They're just performing under the standards I've set. Maybe I've got too lofty of goals, and Wolves has too lofty expectations for Hero. Maybe, but it could also mean that Wolves has seen Hero in other matches, and liked that style more than his current one. It's an opinion, bro, nothing more and nothing less.
User avatar
Matt Flash
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:37 am
Location: Oxnard

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests