2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby Matt Flash » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:53 pm

The Franchise13 wrote:
Matt Flash wrote:I don't have to be spoiled to know what I do and don't like. The beginning of the match was funny. But they hardly took things past the beginning of the match. I expected more out of that match, because of the wrestlers involved. Were my expectations too high? Maybe. But it's not like every match was underwhelming. Hell, in a majority of the matches, finishes were kicked out of. Not that that makes a good match, but no one else dialed down their intensity, or called a tamer match for one reason or another. I was just completely and totally let down. And as a paying customer (For about 5 years, now), I have the right to say a match pissed me off and let me down without being called a spoiled mark.

You are spoiled... "you expected more out of this match"... really? PWG fans should be greatful just to this type of wrestlers in the show. You shouldnt be expecting nothing.

You have the right to your opinion, you really do. You are a paying customer. If you were so pissed off how that match went, than maybe you shouldnt go to night 2. London will be wrestling and Strong will probably have 2 or 3 fignts tonight. We wouldnt want PWG to disappoint you. Or maybe you should go, drink a beer, relax and just enjoy the show for what it is. Not all the shows are going to be as good as Seven. You shouldnt be expecting 5 Star matches all the time.

You're kidding me, right? I didn't complain it wasn't as good as 7. I didn't say a match has to be ***** to be good. I expected a faster paced, harder hitting, more athletic match than what we got. Was that wrong? It's how they both made their names in professional wrestling. WWE didn't get interested in London because he stuffed his tights and did crotch jokes for 15 or 20 minutes. They did because of the fantastic matches he was having. Strong is a name on the independants because he has fantastic, hard hitting, athletic matches.

I never once said they can't do comedy. It's their match, they've got every right to work it the way they want to. I just didn't like it. I don't have to like everything that happens in front of me. I did not like that match. And I didn't shit on the show, either. I liked plenty from it, and there were times where comedy was prevelent and it was really good. I didn't like the fact that they did comedy practically 85-90% of the match. I thought they could do better than that.

If you thought that was enough from a Roderick Strong vs. Paul London match, then sweet. Good for you, dude. I didn't. It wasn't enough for me. I wanted more and expected more because they've both given more. It's not like I was upset because a Malachi Jackson and Johnny Goodtime match was all comedy and not enough actual wrestling. Fuck it, this is stupid. And now I'm stupider for getting bugged by you and letting something so retarded get to me.

Night 2

-Joey Ryan vs. Austin Aries ***1/2. Really liked this match. The finish was sick, too, with Joey Superkicking him in mid heat seeking Dropkick.
-Roderick Strong vs. Claudio Castagnoli ***1/2. Again, I really liked this. Claudio winning was a shocker, but in a good way. He's a damn beast, and is believable in just about everything he does.
-Brandon Gatson vs. Brandon Bonham **1/2. Shorter than I expected. Not bad at all, just underwhelming.
-Chris Hero vs. Akira Tozawa ****1/2. Yes, I'm overrating it. No, I don't care. That match was amazing, and very easily the best match of the weekend. The fighting spirit and false finishes really put this over the top. Can't wait to watch this one on DVD.

-Claudio Castagnoli vs. Joey Ryan ***3/4. This was great stuff, with Claudio working the arm over. It got repetitive but the work was solid, and that finish was great. Wasn't prepared to see Joey get shit on so much, but I can see why. Claudio was so good this weekend, and I think a lot of people expected (And wanted) Hero vs. Claudio in the finals. I know I did.
-Chris Hero vs. Brandon Gatson: ***1/4. Not as good as Claudio/Joey, but that's ok. I definitely liked this one. Gatson starting off quick with the spinning heel kick and big dive was smart.

Romero/Goodtime/Ricochet vs. Taylor/Taylor/Taylor ***1/2. Most of that rating is for Ricochet being an awesome spot wrestler. Seriously, everytime he was in the ring was just pure magic. Chuckie T had a lot to do with that, too. Great spotfest.

Danger Bees vs. Cutlers ***1/4. I couldn't get into this like most others did. The work was fine, and I wanted the Cutlers to win, but I never thought they had a chance (Aside from the Double Tombstone, which admittedly was a great nearfall).

Joey Ryan vs. Chris Hero ***3/4. I never would've thought the end of this match would have such little heat. The fighting spirit spots got almost nothing. The Superkick/Forearm sequence was DEAD, the Stretch Plum/Hangman's Clutch/Crossface submissions sequence was DEAD... I don't know. That was a ****1/2 match with a crowd that could barely be bothered to care. The small package finish got a pop, but hardly anything else. I liked this match quite a lot, it had all the making of a classic, but just none of the electricity of past finals matches.

You'd think by the star ratings that I loved this show, but honestly, it was just good. A let down compared to BOLAs past, but still good in it's own right. And the eventual Davey/Joey title match is going to be very very very heated. Can't wait for it.
Matt Flash

Postby ChrisIsAwesome » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:00 am

What was up with all the heat for Joey during the main event?
ChrisIsAwesome

Postby jonny craig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 am

The guys behind me started counting the elbows hero was throwing at one point, i believe they got to 19
jonny craig

Postby Meltman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 am

I'm really looking forward to Hero/Tozawa. Sounds like an astounding match.

Joey/Davey should be great also. Congrats to Joey, now all he needs to win is DDT4.

After this weekend I think we can except more Claudio and Ricochet appearances.
Meltman

Postby The Celt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:43 am

ChrisIsAwesome wrote:What was up with all the heat for Joey during the main event?

Second this question. I was reading the reports on BOLA on 411mania.com/wrestling and according to the reporter the crowd couldn't make up it's mind whether to boo or cheer Joey...

Cheer damnit, Cheer for your super-masucline hero!
The Celt

Postby Lord Akiyama » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am

Tozawa and Hero killed my voice. It was just outstanding.

Good weekend. The Kings, Tozawa, and Ricochet were the most over the weekend along with Austin, Roddy, and the Danger Bees.

3/4ths of the fans started to turn on Joey towards the end of the Claudio match. Part of it was probably because he had beaten guys that the fans liked more, particularly Claudio given the great awesome weekend he had. I really can't give you guys a definitive answer or idea why. They just turned on him and the 1/4th were desperately trying like hell to get them back over to liking Joey.
Lord Akiyama

Postby Meltman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:00 am

Who else wants KOW/Abejas on the next show? That and Joey/Davey would easily sell me on a DVD.

Did Joey show any sleaze at all this weekend? With the clean look and all I hope he doesn't go vanilla. As far as the crowd indifference, it's Reseda and Joey is a local star. They'll make this work.
Meltman

Postby Lord Akiyama » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 am

There might have been a slight hint that he could go back to sleeze during his post-tournament promo. Aside from that, not really.
Lord Akiyama

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:54 am

ChrisIsAwesome wrote:What was up with all the heat for Joey during the main event?

My interpretation from ringside: The booking of Joey in this show and the last few months may have messed it all up.

First, Joey has only wrestled a few times in the last couple shows, and usually in "fun" matches, like against Christina von Eerie or as "Malachi Cutler" in the six man. He hasn't had a "serious" match with another contender in months, so his sudden run to the top seems a little abrupt, and I think people didn't buy it.

Second, I think that there is a good segment of new fans from Seven who came who are not familiar with Joey's body of work.

Third, Claudio was having a hell of a weekend, and people were really into him, and looking forward to a Kings of Wrestling final. I think the same could be said for Hero, who had amazing matches with Daniels and Tozawa (Match of the NIght, for sure) and has been the top contender for a while. For Joey to beat BOTH of them really seemed to cheese people off.

Fourth, the matches were worked under the assumption that Joey's shoulder was injured, and so in the first match Aries beat the shit out of it so much that it seemed that it would be impossible to win, but he did. Then Claudio worked it for 75% of the match, and so it seemed really unrealistic and silly that after two matches, less than 30 minutes apart, of someone DESTROYING his shoulder for the most of two matches, that he could battle through it. The initial "this is bullshit" chants came after the Claudio match, where it seemed completely improbable that a shoulder that badly injured could survive the match. And Hero worked it too, and Joey survived.

Finally, when the crowd DID turn on him, it was more than half. What happened was that Hero put him over and Joey kind of shamed people for booing him after the match, and it kind of calmed down a lot of the boos. But there was a very vocal half, and the speeches that Joey should be respected, etc seemed a little extreme, and those people were more prone to boo him. I think others that booed him also started to feel bad that he was getting such a shitty reception on his big night, and backed off of it. They probably should have ran with the boos and had Joey turn fully heel, so they could milk the heat.

jonny craig wrote:The guys behind me started counting the elbows hero was throwing at one point, i believe they got to 19

Yeah, fuck those guys. I counted the elbows because I knew some assholes were going to make a big deal out of it, and going into the final match Hero had thrown 8 elbows in three matches. Eight. Less elbows than Claudio threw european uppercuts, than Davey usually uses stiff kicks, than Roddy chops, etc. In the final he used a lot of elbows, but Joey used the same amount of superkicks and no one complained. This stupid shit where people try to shit on Hero for the elbows is so overblown and so, so very played out, especially when it is hypocritical and ridiculous.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby Meltman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 am

The Claudio/Joey reaction sounds very similar to Bucks/Men of Low Moral Fiber from last year.

It may not have gone as the company planned/hoped, but it will work.
Meltman

Postby Souf Centrol » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:03 am

El Hijo del Generico wrote:
jonny craig wrote:The guys behind me started counting the elbows hero was throwing at one point, i believe they got to 19

Yeah, fuck those guys. I counted the elbows because I knew some assholes were going to make a big deal out of it, and going into the final match Hero had thrown 8 elbows in three matches. Eight. Less elbows than Claudio threw european uppercuts, than Davey usually uses stiff kicks, than Roddy chops, etc. In the final he used a lot of elbows, but Joey used the same amount of superkicks and no one complained. This stupid shit where people try to shit on Hero for the elbows is so overblown and so, so very played out, especially when it is hypocritical and ridiculous.

Yeah Hero didn't throw that many elbows at all, he showed the haters that he could actually wrestle.

Also there was alot of people complaining about how many superkicks joey threw
Souf Centrol

Postby Garden State Saint » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:12 am

I'm thrilled Joey Ryan won. Richards vs. Ryan should be gangbusters!
Garden State Saint

Postby The Franchise13 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 am

It did ruin the night for me a little. The "this is bullshit" and "Joey sucks" completely ruined a good celebration moment. I wanted Hero to win, but when Joey won, i still stood up and applauded him because he did deserve it.

The Hero/Tozawa match was amazing. It definitely shut up all those Tozawa haters. Its a shame, i spoke to him after the show and he mentioned that he wont be back for next months show because of other commitments.

Im a huge London/Generico fan, but i still believe that the Cutlers should of won the titles last night. Because of the lost, it will probably put the Cutlers back into opening matches for shows. I hope we see a London/Generico vs KOW for next month show.
The Franchise13

Postby Meltman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 am

The Franchise13 wrote:Its a shame, i spoke to him after the show and he mentioned that he wont be back for next months show because of other commitments.

:cry:

The Franchise13 wrote:Im a huge London/Generico fan, but i still believe that the Cutlers should of won the titles last night. Because of the lost, it will probably put the Cutlers back into opening matches for shows.

I disagree, they're a hot commodity right now and will likely be put in big exhibition matches.

Cutlers vs. Briscoes, Cutlers vs. KOW, Cutlers vs. MCMG...many opportunities.
Meltman

Postby CP Munk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:56 am

i was like one of the only guys standing and clapping 4 joey.crowd was kinda whack. joeys moment was pretty much shit on by everyone. and hero still uses the elbow alot
CP Munk

Postby fatallylost » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 am

You were definitely sitting by me. Those were the group of the "too cool to be here" Chuckie T marks.

I think it's funny, no one has mentioned how Joey won the match.
Spoiler: show
With a small package!
That was kind of awesome.

The one thing I can say, sitting in between a bunch of Joey haters (I, myself, am a Joey mark. He's 2/3 of the reason I sa=tarted coming to the shows) some of the kick, not the superkicks the regular ones, seemed to have missed the mark, by a lot, towards the end.

But, of the 4 man group I was a part of, I'm also the only one who hasn't trained as a wrestler, so, that may be why.

One of the guys with me kept ripping on Joey for taking steroids (whether he does or not, when Claudio is the other guy in the ring, how do you rip on the "chubbier" guy?!)

As fun as it was to go with them, they definitely took away from both nights at times.

Although, if anyone head any of the show you ass/pooper screams from night one, that was one of us. He was completely drunk.
fatallylost

Postby dirtydutch » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 am

my wife and I were part of the 1/4 cheering for Joey, I just didn't see the point in Hero winning he didn't need to get over. my pick was Gatson I was hoping he would make it to the finals. the 6 man tag was awesome Johnny Goodtime used my shirt and dvd to smash Chuck Taylor in the face with. I think after this all the Towaza haters will be quiet, he was quite over on both nights. I see a rematch for the Tag Titles coming up cause the Cutlers almost won it a couple of times and seems like they are gaining crowd support.

on another note I would love to see Ricochet back again along with Romero I thought he was a great worker
dirtydutch

Postby CMPG » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:36 am

I have nothing at all to complain about with BOLA. I thought both nights were awesome and had something for everyone. We had technical wrestling moves, high flying wrestling moves, tag wrestling, comedy matches, David vs. Goliath matches, blood... I could go on.

Ricochet is freakin awesome in person and he made a fan out of me when he stole my hat off the top of my head.

Claudio vs. Ricochet and Hero vs. Tozawa were two of the best matches of the weekend and need to be seen by all PWG fans.
CMPG

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:50 am

CP Munk wrote: and hero still uses the elbow alot

Ok. So?
El Hijo del Generico

Postby Detroitboi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:24 pm

I thought I missed something the way the crowd just...stopped cheering for Joey entirely after he beat Claudio. Granted with a injury that was constantly worked on it wasn't too convincing that he would win. But the "This is bullshit" chants wasn't right in my opinion. I was going for Hero or Roddy and wanted to see a Kings of Wrestling Finals as much as anyone else, but I had to give Joey his props. So I was with the 1/4th with him in the finals and also going for Hero.

I would like to see Ricochet back as well as Rocky. I'm glad we got to see more of them in the Tag Match. I wasn't a Cutler fan until the young bucks beef, I wanted them to win the belts but the fans LOVE the danger bees so they may go on for a bit longer. The Event in a whole was pretty nice, but then again I'm a Indy fan so it's all good to me, I clap and chant for everyone. On a side note, I think with Time Ryan Taylor will get better.
Detroitboi

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum