5/6 Results

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

5/6 Results

Postby onlxn » Sun May 07, 2006 12:54 am

Looks to be a decent crowd here in La Habra Heights - 350, maybe. Show starts 20 minutes late, with the announcement that Los Luchas won't be here. I love those guys, but as no-shows go, could've been worse...

1) Rocky Romero beats T.J. Perkins with a German suplex hold (lots of nice mat stuff, as expected, but more stiff shots and intensity than you usually see from either guy in PWG; best either guy's looked here in a while, and certainly the best opener PWG's had in months)

2) Austin Aries beats Chris Sabin with a handful of tights (shockingly great comedy match, built around Aries's Savage shtick, double-axehandle to the floor and all; dragged a wee bit, but good fun)

Joey Ryan interview - Joey announces he's not defending the belt tonight, and instead wants a tag match. Weird. He introduces his partner, SCORPIO SKY (w/ Jade Chung). Good gay-ass heel fun, including a knock-knock joke:
Sky: "Who's there?"
Joey: "Your pal Joey. And he'll always be there for ya."
Joey calls out B-Boy, who in turn predictably introduces his partner, FRANKIE KAZARIAN. Frankie runs down the heels, including the comment that "Jade's screwed more black guys than Hurricane Katrina." Yikes! Dino comes out and says that the match is happening (which seems a bit obvious already), and...

3) B-Boy & Frankie Kazarian beat Joey Ryan & Scorpio Sky; Frankie pins Joey after a B-Boy Shining Wizard (faces put heels in man-love positions, heels cheat to take control of Frankie, B-Boy kills everyone on his hot tag; very good for what it was, and helped heat up Joey/B-Boy, but they shouldn't have advertised the title match for tonight)

Afterwards, Frankie asks for a title shot, which pisses off B-Boy; Dino comes out and announces that Frankie is the #1 Contender. Afterwards, Scorp surprises Frankie with a STIFF chairshot to the head. Scorp then announces that he's going to do what Vince McMahon couldn't, and CUTS OFF FRANKIE'S PONYTAIL! Big surprise there. Tornado and B-Boy make the save, and this epic segment ends; would seem that we're still a few shows away from B-Boy's title win...

Steen and Danielson are out. Steen demands that Danielson sing "Happy Birthday" to him; Danielson says he will if Steen beats him, BUT makes Steen promise to leave PWG forever if he loses. Steen accepts. Ooh-key...

4) Bryan Danielson beats Kevin Steen with a Tiger Suplex into a crucifix (an intense, serious match, with the weird stip adding drama; like most PWG matches, a couple minutes longer than it should've been, but very good and certainly MOTN thus far)

Afterwards, Dino comes out and asks Danielson if he really wants the stip upheld. Great line from Steen: "If you take this away from me, all I'll have left is CZW, and I don't want that..." (breaking down)

Danielson polls the Steen-lovin' crowd and decides to let Steen stay, IF Steen sings "Happy Birthday" to Danielson while doing the Booty Dance. SILLYSTIPMANIA IN LA HABRA HEIGHTS!! Steen: "Between CZW and the booty dance... I'll take the booty dance." After some coaching from Dino, Steen complies, with a Worm thrown in to boot, and his PWG career is saved. This was all good fun, but another loooong segment, and the first four matches have eaten up over two hours already. Intermission now...

5) Super Dragon, Alex Koslov & Ronin beat Disco Machine, Nemesis & Bino Gambino (fun stuff, with SD cruelly mauling Bino; SD was awesome, and Bino was good too, but I think Koslov may have been the star of the match)

6) The Human Tornado beats "Classic" Colt Cabana with a small package (a sloppy, all-over-the-place, joyous comedy match, and I could watch these two fight forever; if you like silly fun matches at all, you should check this out)

Time for the main, which will still be an eight-man tag. Dino randomly draws names out of a mask for Cape Fear's partners. It's gonna be Arrogance and the Kings of Wrestling versus Cape Fear, Kevin Steen, and...

...fucking awesome...

SUPER DRAGON! SD and Steen are already tearing into each other, and this shit is on like TRON...

7) Arrogance (Scott Lost & Chris Bosh) & The Kings Of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) beat Cape Fear (El Generico & Quicksilver), Kevin Steen & Super Dragon; Bosh pins Generico after a Steiner Screwdriver (fun main, but not as hateful as I hoped, as Steen & Dragon largely got along; goddamn, the Kings of Wrestling are fun)

Really good show. No MOTYCs or nuthin', but every match was worthwhile and the card flowed nicely. More thoughts later...
onlxn

Postby Ocire » Sun May 07, 2006 1:07 am

This was my first PWG show, in fact, it was my first live wrestling show and it was awesome. I really enjoyed it and I know we'll be coming back in the near future. We had great front-row seats and some great interaction with a couple of the wrestlers. Nice job explaining the show.

Moonsault Man was pretty funny.
Ocire

Postby Dangerous Robot » Sun May 07, 2006 1:08 am

Sounds like a good night.
Any matches announced for the 20th. show? I hear Sydal will be back in town. . .
Dangerous Robot

Postby TheWholeDamShow » Sun May 07, 2006 1:12 am

I don't remember them announcing any matches for the next show on the 20th. But anyway, yeah, it was a great show. Despite being squashed twice in the same night, the 2nd time getting my glasses knocked off. Oh well, it's all part of the PWG Experience.
TheWholeDamShow

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun May 07, 2006 1:19 am

Dangerous Robot wrote:Sounds like a good night.
Any matches announced for the 20th. show? I hear Sydal will be back in town. . .

Nothing was announced at the show. BUT PWG did say the Briscoes would be there in the last press release, Aries' website says he'll be back (oooh yeeeaaah dig it) PLUS Roderick Strong will be in town for the BOASJ, so hopefully they get him! I do hope Sydal is back too.

ANYWAY, I thought this was a really fun show,I liked everything, but I must say Colt Cabana Vs. Human Tornado was my favorite match of the show. Macho Aries was hilarious as well. Great stuff...

Related note, I picked up the new PWG DVDs... and just watched the bonus promos on The UK show... and wow, it's one of their best promo blocks in a long time. Sky as Norman Smiley, a GREAT Frankie/Disco/EX bit, SPUD~, a Good Steen promo with an AJ cameo. PWG NEEDS MORE OF THIS STUFF ON THE DVDS, seriously.

More thoughts tommorrow...
TigerDriver98

Postby ROshamBO » Sun May 07, 2006 2:18 am

good show looking forward to the dvd release
ROshamBO

Postby Rish To The Rosh » Sun May 07, 2006 5:09 am

The Kazarian/Ryan/Sky stuff sounds great, really funny lines from Kaz, I'm really looking forward to how that develops.

Looks like a really solid show as always, hope Aries/Sabin lives up to what I expected it to be.
Rish To The Rosh

Postby Jimmy The Lobster » Sun May 07, 2006 5:14 am

sounds like an awesome show
Jimmy The Lobster

Postby Rag » Sun May 07, 2006 6:11 am

happy belated birthday to the always amusing king of beat-boxing, Colt Cabana (5/6); happy birthday to the booty-dancing bearer of the red cup, Mr. Wrestling Kevin Steen (5/7); happy half birthday to the pedophile everyone loves to hate, the Technical Wizard Joey "the Draw" Ryan (5/7); and happy early birthday to the 3-tonedeaf-notes-singing wrestling legend, American Dragon (5/22)

as for my gifts, i'll make you all pancakes
Rag

Postby Evilguest » Sun May 07, 2006 8:49 am

Ocire wrote:This was my first PWG show, in fact, it was my first live wrestling show and it was awesome. I really enjoyed it and I know we'll be coming back in the near future. We had great front-row seats and some great interaction with a couple of the wrestlers. Nice job explaining the show.

Glad you enjoyed the show! I love when new people like indy shows.
Evilguest

Postby CheMateo » Sun May 07, 2006 10:28 am

I noticed that there were a few more cameras at this show and even a boom mike, I was wondering if PWG is going to start using more cameras, or was it just for this show? It was my first time to the Gym at the park. It was nice, would anybody else like see PWG run shows there or do you prefer the sweatbox?
CheMateo

Postby El Asian » Sun May 07, 2006 10:50 am

Nothing was announced at the show. BUT PWG did say the Briscoes would be there in the last press release, Aries' website says he'll be back (oooh yeeeaaah dig it) PLUS Roderick Strong will be in town for the BOASJ, so hopefully they get him! I do hope Sydal is back too.

don't forget, Jimmy Rave is also in town for BOASJ as well
El Asian

Postby onlxn » Sun May 07, 2006 12:06 pm

FUCK, I hope we get Rave. I've been dying to see that dude in PWG.

And Ocire, I'm also glad you enjoyed the show, but I have to disagree with you on one thing...

I thought Moonsault Man was a complete boner. There's nothing worse than a fan trying to get himself over during an intense match, which is clearly what Danielson and Steen were going for. Fans like that just detract from shows, and MM, if you're reading this, kindly consider shutting the fuck up next time out.
onlxn

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun May 07, 2006 12:27 pm

Unfortunately, Rave appears to be at an IWA:DS show on the 20th instead. Shame, as I would have liked to have seen him in PWG as well.

Also, the B-Boy title shot situation is really confusing. He wins the ASW2 Mini-tourney... then Joey just decides to change the match. Frankie pins Joey in the tag match (after a B-Boy shining Wizard) and now Frankie's the #1 contender... despite B-Boy never recieving his title shot. What makes his more confusing, is I believe Frankie is on JAPW shows for the next two PWG events. So he couldn't even get his shot until June 24th anyway.

I would like to see Frankie Vs. Joey however. Not only would be a rematch from the match that crowned the very first PWG champion, but for the fact that if Joey Ryan pins Frankie Kazarian... he'll hold the odd distinction of being the only man in PWG to hold pinfall victories over every past PWG Champion. How's that for pointless PWG trivia?
TigerDriver98

Postby The Masked Akeem » Sun May 07, 2006 12:51 pm

onlxn wrote:I thought Moonsault Man was a complete boner. There's nothing worse than a fan trying to get himself over during an intense match, which is clearly what Danielson and Steen were going for. Fans like that just detract from shows, and MM, if you're reading this, kindly consider shutting the fuck up next time out.

Yes that guy was annoying, but when you set the match up on a stipulation of "You have to sing Happy Birthday to me," you're telling the fans, "Hey, we're just goofing around, so feel free to not take us seriously." Did you hear any thoroughly moronic stuff being yelled during TJ/Rocky?

Additionally, Steen let it get to him, and felt the need to take the action over to the guy as some sort of "punishment." That little out-of-place sequence detracted from the match. Sometimes you have to ignore the stupidity as best as you can. I realize that's tough to do at PWG shows, but it comes with the territory.
The Masked Akeem

Postby Ocire » Sun May 07, 2006 12:58 pm

Very true you two, about Moonsault Man. Maybe since it was my first show I was just enjoying everything about it. I don't know. I'm easily entertained, I guess. :P
Ocire

Postby WannaB » Sun May 07, 2006 2:10 pm

CheMateo wrote:I noticed that there were a few more cameras at this show and even a boom mike, I was wondering if PWG is going to start using more cameras, or was it just for this show?

That was actually a second film crew doing a documentry on Disco. Not sure if it's something that will be released to the public, if it was a student film, or what.

Rag wrote:happy belated birthday to the always amusing king of beat-boxing, Colt Cabana (5/6); happy birthday to the booty-dancing bearer of the red cup, Mr. Wrestling Kevin Steen (5/7); happy half birthday to the pedophile everyone loves to hate, the Technical Wizard Joey "the Draw" Ryan (5/7); and happy early birthday to the 3-tonedeaf-notes-singing wrestling legend, American Dragon (5/22)

as for my gifts, i'll make you all pancakes

I wouldn't trust your pancakes if you had a gun to my head Rachel. And I'm sure Colt, Steen, Bryan, and Joey wouldn't either. Well, maybe Bryan. Something tells me you'd take a lot of liberties with the ingredients.

[

Yeah... it doesn't make a lot of sense.

B-Boy was named the #1 contender back at Beyond Thunderdome when he defeated Kevin Steen, but he never got his title shot at ASW 3.

He also defeated Frankie back at The Hollywood Globetrotters, and again in a Fatal Four Way at ASW 3 and was given the #1 contendership for (Please Don't Call It) The O.C. And still he didn't get his title shot last night.

Since he never got his title shot(s), doesn't that mean that he should technically still be the #1 contender?

I fail to see how Frankie could be named the #1 contender for pinning Joey Ryan in a tag match; especially if B-Boy hasn't beaten Frankie twice in the past couple of months, and has been named the #1 contender twice in those same couple of months (and hasn't had his matches). I don't know if they're aiming for a "B-Boy gets screwed over time & time again" kind of storyline, but it's becoming irritating that he can't get his title shot. Just get it over with and have Ryan fight B-Boy for the title.
WannaB

Postby SoCalAndy » Sun May 07, 2006 3:50 pm

The title situtation isn't confusing at all. In many promotions, whoever pins the champion automaticly becomes the #1 contender. It's been like that for many years, and now it's giving B-Boy and Frankie things to do and it also elevates the Sky/Frankie feud. If anything, it's helping B-Boy's chase get more build and a title change more anticipated. I like it. The World Title is looking really important as an effect and the Sky/Frankie portion is getting a good rub because of it.

I'll have thoughts on the show later, but I have to say that I hate La Habra Heights.
SoCalAndy

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun May 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Yeah, that's a good point. Guess the main problem I have with it, is that it makes the ASW Mini Tourney (which I thought was very well done) seem meaningless in retrospect. As the winner didn't get his title shot (at least not yet)

I'm sure they are going somewhere good with this, and in a few months we'll appreciate the build up... but for the time being it was a bit of a head scratcher.
TigerDriver98

Postby SoCalAndy » Sun May 07, 2006 5:05 pm

Yeah, that's a good point. Guess the main problem I have with it, is that it makes the ASW Mini Tourney (which I thought was very well done) seem meaningless in retrospect. As the winner didn't get his title shot (at least not yet)

I think differently. With Joey ducking the guy who won the tournament, it makes it look a little more important in my mind. I can understand where it seems meaningless, but with stuff like that it just takes times to see how things play out before you can judge too quickly.

Show thoughts now:

-Parking is worse in La Habra Heights than it is in Hollywood. Plus the roads sucked! The gym looks nice and all, but the acoustics killed the show for me. I couldn't get into the show as the noise didn't bounce off the walls like they do at the JCC. Plus there was no liquor store across the street, nor Pioneer Chicken.

-Romero/Perkins was a great match in my mind. I thought this was Perkins' best showing in my mind.

-Aries/Sabin was loads of fun. I enjoyed it so much, and it's awesome to see Aries with a lot of personality. I don't think I've ever seen him play to the crowd so much as he did last night.

-The Joey/Frankie promos were really funny. Although I was disapointed that the title match didn't happen, it was great to see PWG building up B-Boy and making the belt looking more important.

-The tag match itself was loads of fun too. Really fun comedy match, with some really good heel/face type stuff that isn't really used anymore.

-Danielson/Steen was really good aswell. Lots of fun stuff, and great work by both guys. The ending was nice and I liked it.

-The Six Man Tag was amazing. Bino took his beating like a man, and really earned my respect. Dragon was awesome last night. The Russian Dance Curb Stomp was the greatest spot I've seen in my life. MOTN for me, and there was no way Koslov was the star in this match. If anything, Bino brokeout here.

-Colt/Tornado was a thing of greatness. Million Billion Trillion Gadjillion Infinity Stars.

-Hero and Claudio are awesome. The Generico rope walking spot was so amazing. The cup spots were funny. Not really the best match ever, but it was really fun. I thought it would of been better with a funner atmosphere like at the JCC, where crowd heat is easily generated.

Good solid show overall, just wish it was at the JCC.
SoCalAndy

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum