5/6 Results

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby Wreckless » Sun May 07, 2006 5:27 pm

The Russian Dance Curb Stomp was the greatest spot I've seen in my life.

that just sealed the deal with me buying the dvd when it's out, screw paying rent i want me some pwg :D
Wreckless

Postby RM Punk » Sun May 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Wreckless wrote:
The Russian Dance Curb Stomp was the greatest spot I've seen in my life.

that just sealed the deal with me buying the dvd when it's out, screw paying rent i want me some pwg :D

PWG > Life :lol:
RM Punk

Postby evilj » Sun May 07, 2006 9:50 pm

was parking really that bad? i couldn't imagine parking worse than hollywood, but i got there around 7 (one hour earlier), venue is definitely nicer.

and yeah about moonsault man, it's funny maybe the first time, but it got old quick.

it was my first time watching american dragon, and i wanted to know what the hype was all about, as i've never seen him before but heard about him. I wondered why people say he was good, and used to think he was overrated from the few clips i've seen of him, but I was really impressed with last night.

i love pwg, it's fun and comical, but it'd be nice to get a good, intense, wrestling match sometime. american dragon seems like the kind of person/wrestler who can tell a story well through his wrestling. I know a little bit about martial arts, submissions, joints, and the human body, so I was very impressed with some of his holds as they look and and i know they feel VERY PAINFUL if you apply pressure.

As a person who's been watching wrestling for 15+ years since i was 5, it made me want to believe that wrestling is "real" or suspend my disbelief that wrestling is not "real" again if you know what i mean.

it coulda been that match of the night for me, but random, some regular fans are always shouting or making jokes in every match.

just a rant, everyone can do whatever they want to have fun.
evilj

MY THOUGHTS

Postby luca brasi » Sun May 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Show definitely had a weird feel to it, and I agree, too much comedy in most matches.
TJ/RR was outstanding for an opener.
I see both sides of the argument on the B-Boy title thing. Joey ducking contunually builds it up good, but B-Boy continually not getting the shot is too unbelievable.
Bino Gambino definitely just had his breakout match with the SoCal crowd. When he called out Dragon, I saw Koslov and Knox kind of look at each other like "what's he thinking?"
The main went long and the cup spots were not funny, there was too much of that sort of stuff last night.
All the cops on the back wall reminded me of the Blues Brothers movie.
Did anyone else notice the spiffy new (green) PWG heavyweight title belt JR was sporting??
luca brasi

Postby onlxn » Sun May 07, 2006 11:08 pm

I don't necessarily have a problem with B-Boy having to wait for his title shot -- if Joey wants to be a cowardly heel champ, so much the better. I just don't think they should've advertised the title match if they weren't going to deliver on it. It was a strong card on paper without the title match, and they could've simply talked about Joey's ducking B-Boy in the press release, rather than disappointing the fans who paid to see it.

I liked the tag, and I like extending the storyline, but I don't like being told I'm going to see a built-up match and then have it simply not happen. I'm surprised they pulled a bait-and-switch like that, as it's usually not their thing.
onlxn

Postby onlxn » Sun May 07, 2006 11:13 pm

The Masked Akeem wrote:Yes that guy was annoying, but when you set the match up on a stipulation of "You have to sing Happy Birthday to me," you're telling the fans, "Hey, we're just goofing around, so feel free to not take us seriously." Did you hear any thoroughly moronic stuff being yelled during TJ/Rocky?

A good point, though to be fair, the dude was yelling the moonsault crap before Steen even said a word.

Additionally, Steen let it get to him, and felt the need to take the action over to the guy as some sort of "punishment." That little out-of-place sequence detracted from the match.

Yeah, that was weird, as usually Steen is really good at dealing with annoying crowd members. Seemed like he really wanted the match to come off well, which makes sense, what with it being his first match with Danielson and all. But again, you're right -- if they wanted it to play as important, the "happy birthday" stuff was a mistake.
onlxn

Postby SignalsCorrupted » Sun May 07, 2006 11:34 pm

just registered, mostly to say how much i enjoyed my first PWG experience. i've been a long time wrestling fan, but i've never seeked out local promotions. it was great to see danielson and aries, as they have been two of my favorites these past few years. i was so impressed by many of the wrestlers. colt vs. tornado was probably my favorite match. great comedy match. the umaga imitation by tornado was hilarious. however, during the main event, it did sort of bother me to see the wrestlers selling for a "cup shot" hahah. also, it becamed pretty clustered towards the end, though i can understand why, as it allows the crowd to be entertained from all sides of the ring at the end of the show.

also, reading through this thread, i believe its likely frankie will feud with scorpio sky before he challenges for the title - and so i believe b-boy will still receive his title match before kazarian does.
SignalsCorrupted

Postby Big Joe » Mon May 08, 2006 5:37 am

I could see PWG doing a WMX type of thing with the title shot...if B-Boy wins the toss, he gets the first shot with Frankie fighting Sky and getting his shot later in the night...if Frankie wins, he gets the first shot while B-Boy faces Aries earlier in the night.
Big Joe

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum