BOLA 2009 Thoughts

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

BOLA 2009 Thoughts

Postby Alan4L » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 am

Am I blind or is there no thread for this?

So BOLA was absolutely phenomenal. Especially Night 2.

One of my most enjoyable wrestling watching experiences honestly.

The Steen/Generico vs. Bucks tag was approx 10,900 times better than their two ROH matches and honestly my retroactive 2009 MOTY. It was THAT good. Maybe even five stars if you're into that kind of thing.

The journeys of Omega and Strong to the final were great and then they delivered an unforgettable war to close out the weekend. So many jaw dropping moments.

GET THESE DVDS!!!
Alan4L

Re: BOLA 2009 Thoughts

Postby drop19 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Alan4L wrote:The Steen/Generico vs. Bucks tag was approx 10,900 times better than their two ROH matches and honestly my retroactive 2009 MOTY. It was THAT good. Maybe even five stars if you're into that kind of thing.

Haven't seen the dvd, but in person this match was exactly why I enjoy PWG and professional wrestling. With all of the doubt surrounding Steen possibly retiring it seemed impossible that he and El Generico would pull it off, but damned if they didn't have the crowd eating out of their hand and buying into a title change by the end of the match. This one deserves enough snowflakes to decorate a Christmas tree.
drop19

Postby The Dan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 am

:mrgreen: DVDS came today (Only took a week to get here, kudos to PWG AGAIN for extremely fast shipping!). Started watching the first few matches of night one, and thought the first 3 matches were pretty good. Taylor and Malchi as a team blend pretty well. The first two BOLA matches were good, with Knox's altercation (don't wanna spoil for people who are yet to watch) flipping hilarious. Can't wait to watch the rest of Night 1 and Night 2!
The Dan

Postby The Kid from Camp Cabana » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 am

It was bittersweet watching BOLA 2009. Knowing that Kenny Omega had dropped the title in his first defense ruined a bit of his win for me.

Having said that...

1. Steenerico vs. Bucks is worth the price of BOLA alone.

2. I loved Shelley/Generico from Night One.

3. The run of Brandon Gatson through the tourney was fun to watch
The Kid from Camp Cabana

Postby Tarfoo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 am

The Dan wrote::mrgreen: DVDS came today (Only took a week to get here, kudos to PWG AGAIN for extremely fast shipping!).

You ordered directly from PWG? Jeez, guess it was the post-Christmas traffic that had some people here waiting then.

My last Highspots PWG order took 3 weeks (every other one before has always taken a week, +/- 1 day) which I hope to god isn't the case this time. Watch BOLA me wanna, now.
Tarfoo

Postby r1wchamp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Got my BOLA DVD's about a week ago.
Night one, Omega/Steen and Generico/Shelly matches were excellent.
Night two, IMO, was far superior to Night one.
Roderick Strong tore EVERYONE up. Especially Johnny Gootime (on night one) and Brandon Gatson. It was crazy. Despite losing to Omega, he still kicked the crap out of him.
I agree with everyone say the Bucks/Steenerico match was worth the price of the DVD alone. It was phenomenal. I've watched it about a hundred times already.
I've already stated this in the BOLA shipping thread, but the commentary is hilarious. Gotta love Scott Lost. Just need some Chuck Taylor and Davey Richards commentary, god damnit. :)
r1wchamp

Postby zombiegeeknecrocult » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:36 am

I watched all of Night 1 and loved the Tornado/Matt Jackson match and thought all the other ones were pretty good as well. Steen/Omega and Generico/Shelley were off the chain. I thought Johnny Goodtime got his ass whooped on night 1. I haven't finished night 2 but I enjoyed Gatson/Shelley and Omega/Lost match. I think I left off on the match after Strong and Tornado.... Not sure.. But Night 2 is okay. Night 1 pretty much sets up the story and feel of night 2. I like that... and I haven't paid too much attention to the commentary. I like hearing the crowd in surround sound when the go crazy..
zombiegeeknecrocult

Postby PWGnorthern » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Just got my BOLA in the mail, most likely going to watch em both tonight, plus maybe a few from Sells Out 2
PWGnorthern

Postby RobGrayson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Knowing Omega loses the title so soon won't really bother me, the only one I felt I lost my enjoyment of BOLA was the year Low Ki won and disappeared right after
RobGrayson

Postby Meltman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:08 pm

RobGrayson wrote:the only one I felt I lost my enjoyment of BOLA was the year Low Ki won and disappeared right after

Yeah, that was a buzzkill, but at least he put on an incredible match before leaving.
Meltman

Postby RobGrayson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:30 pm

True, I've nothing against Low Ki as a wrestler and do think he is quite capable in the ring, I just felt like during his PWG stint he took more then he gave back.

I mean coming in, winning the title right off the bat, then vacating it. Though I know that WAS due to injury, but then he came back and was involved in that 4 way title defence and while Chris Hero did win Low Ki just HAD to make sure he still had someone else applied in his finisher. Then went on to beat the champion and win the whole tournament, then he was gone.

If at a later time Hero got his win back or someone else beat him, I'd have less of a problem with Low Ki's PWG run. It just made those stories I'd hear about him from RoH about never wanting to do jobs seem true.
RobGrayson

Postby Matt Flash » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:06 pm

RobGrayson wrote:True, I've nothing against Low Ki as a wrestler and do think he is quite capable in the ring, I just felt like during his PWG stint he took more then he gave back.

I mean coming in, winning the title right off the bat, then vacating it. Though I know that WAS due to injury, but then he came back and was involved in that 4 way title defence and while Chris Hero did win Low Ki just HAD to make sure he still had someone else applied in his finisher. Then went on to beat the champion and win the whole tournament, then he was gone.

If at a later time Hero got his win back or someone else beat him, I'd have less of a problem with Low Ki's PWG run. It just made those stories I'd hear about him from RoH about never wanting to do jobs seem true.

Ki having his submission applied as Hero got the 3 count was just simply good booking. It gave them something to point back at for a backstory, since they didn't really have one in PWG at all. Hell, I can't even remember hearing them wrestle each other anywhere else. And they were supposed to have BOLA at that weekend in '08, so I'm sure they had it planned out who would be in the finals by then. Then they just got a simple, yet effective building tool for their BOLA Finals match.

Kind've like Strong/Omega going to the draw at Secret Of Guerrilla Island. Now I don't know if they had BOLA planned out THAT far in advance, but it was something that they were able to use for the match beyond "Hey, they beat these 3 guys to get to the finals of this tournament". It had a layer that made who was going to win even more up in the air, even though I could tell you that whether you were an Omega fan or a Roddy fan at BOLA '09, you were convinced your "pick" was going to win it.

Jesus that went on way too long.
Matt Flash

Postby zombiegeeknecrocult » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:18 am

I finished night 2 barely... Holy shit the last 2 matches are amazing! I feel like Kenny deserved that belt because his style fits into PWG so perfectly. I hope Kenny makes a hot comeback to reclaim the title cuz he seems like one of the most over wrestlers in that company. Oh yeah, and the Bucks vs. Steenerico match was way too kick ass! I thought I would of gotten bored watching another Steenerico/Bucks match but boy was I wrong. Kevin steen once again shows why he is a Bad Ass in PWG. Everything else was very good as well. But yeah, like everyone has been saying, the last 2 matches are beyond awesome!
zombiegeeknecrocult

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum