Why Oh Why did Omega lose the title? :O(

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Why Oh Why did Omega lose the title? :O(

Postby BayAreaPWGFan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Kenny Omega was the hottest babyface in PWG in a really really long time. He had a meteoric rise in PWG dating back to last years BOLA, thereby the fans demanded more of Kenny Omega. PWG bookers made the call to give Kenny Omega that BOLA 2009 crown along with the PWG title mainly because the fans just f'n love Kenny Omega. So, why oh why, did PWG only give him 1 title defense with the strap?!?! Yeah, Davey Richards is pretty awesome but wouldnt it have been better for there to be some kind of chase? IMO, PWG just kind of "Ortoned" Kenny Omega.

And, if the guy is going to Japan for a few month, PWG I'm sure could have build the card around other matches. The tag division is top notch. There doesn't have to be a title defense on every show.
BayAreaPWGFan

Re: Why Oh Why did Omega lose the title? :O(

Postby Souf Centrol » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:30 am

There should be a title defense at every show, remember PWG doesn't have weekly shows. So of course people want to see the champ

I think he lost because he has alot on his plate and might not be able to make some shows. I'm glad davey won, now I get to see how his run will be
Souf Centrol

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:23 am

He has been injured, and in Japan a lot.

But if he had to lose, no one in the game right now deserves a singles title like Davey. Also, they had an incredible match, so having a rematch is the win.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:33 am

El Hijo del Generico wrote:He has been injured, and in Japan a lot.

But if he had to lose, no one in the game right now deserves a singles title like Davey. Also, they had an incredible match, so having a rematch is the win.

See this is good thinking, so Kenny lost, they each have wins and losses on each other. I was watching Ninety Nine and they had a match where Davey Lost, so it's nothing impossible. I think the storyline just had to increase considering Omega has unfinished business with the Bucks after being jumped at BOLA. People must have forgotten that already!!! I sense Omega and Generico taking the titles soon!!!!

There will be a rematch, and Davey is a great wrestler though. He proved that on many occasions.

So I don't see this as a set back I see this as a kick in Omegas pants to step it up now and go a different route before becoming champion again. He has owned Gold on both coasts now. He's still my favorite aside from Generico and Lost.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby jdrouskirsh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:48 am

because he's in Japan half the year, plain and simple... they probably realized after KRM that there's no point keeping the belt on someone that's not going to be at half the shows
jdrouskirsh

Postby CheMateo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:12 am

None of us really know for sure. PWG was aware of his Japanese commitments before he won the title so it's not like any tours of Japan came as a surprise. I'm sure that was taken into account before BOLA. My guess would have to be the injury chatter that came out of WXW. Perhaps Omega just toughed it out for one more show but it was too much and Davey was able to take advantage of the situation and become our new World Champion.
CheMateo

Postby BayAreaPWGFan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:42 am

Seems weird though because Kenny mentioned on an interview on PWInsider a few months ago that he was really going to focus on wrestling in the U.S. in 2010 and making his name in ROH and PWG. I just think its kind of weird for someone so over to only have 1 defense. PWG management is always pretty good about who they give the strap to. Maybe Kenny, changed his mind and booked a long term Japan tour in early 2010 that would pay him better and he relayed this to PWG around KRM time.

Omega won the belt in November and 2 months later Davey is challenging him to a title shot at KRM. So, I take it PWG knew Davey would take the belt from him by that point. Its the BOLA curse I tell you.
BayAreaPWGFan

Postby jdrouskirsh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 pm

BayAreaPWGFan wrote:Seems weird though because Kenny mentioned on an interview on PWInsider a few months ago that he was really going to focus on wrestling in the U.S. in 2010 and making his name in ROH and PWG. I just think its kind of weird for someone so over to only have 1 defense. PWG management is always pretty good about who they give the strap to. Maybe Kenny, changed his mind and booked a long term Japan tour in early 2010 that would pay him better and he relayed this to PWG around KRM time.

you pretty much answered your question right there... They likely put the title on Kenny thinking that he would be able to wrestle at PWG more often as a result of him stating that he wants to focus more on wrestling in the states, and then misses the next show, after his name was announced as being part of the card, because he opts to wrestle in Japan instead
jdrouskirsh

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:12 pm

I still say it's to finish the feud with the bucks.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby CheMateo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Why couldn't Omega still feud with them as World Champion?
CheMateo

Postby Matt Flash » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Or this was the plan all along? PWG has been just on a fantastic run of booking, and they've put a lot of matches together where no one knew who would win. EVERYONE thought Davey would lose, seeing as it was Omega's first defense, but then that's what makes it a surprise, right?

They just had a year+ reign with Hero, this was a great way to keep the title picture fresh and unpredictable. It doesn't hurt Omega at all, because it's not like Richards swatted him down and dominated him. Omega put up as much fight as he had in him, and simply came up short.

I do like the idea of Omega and Generico winning the belts, or at the very least challenging for them. And once they win, Taylor could be pissed and bring in a partner of his own to try and take the straps.

Omega's BOLA '09 run was just incredible, and losing the belt in his first defense is more of an "Oh, that sucks for him" as compared to "Well there goes Omega's PWG career". The guy will be back, just as good as ever, and just as over as ever. He doesn't need to be World Champ to be successful.
Matt Flash

Postby The Dan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:42 pm

I like everyone was shocked to hear that Davey won the belt. Maybe he is injured, or PWG decided to take the strap off of him because of his tour commitments, but whatever the case is, it definitely makes the title scene under predictable.
The Dan

Postby tmac9311 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 am

I don't think any of you are wrong. This very well could all be set up beforehand. Also, BOLA usually isn't for the title correct? So Kenny winning BOLA made winning the title a formality this year, no one has ever won BOLA twice(to my knowledge), so Davey couldn't, and Omega was hugely over in 2009. BOLA 2009 will always be attached to Kenny, even if the PWG Title isn't. Davey really has no where to go but main eventing in PWG, where Omega can really do anything. To my knowledge he hasn't wrestled guys like Joey Ryan, who seems to be towards the under card now, that could be a good match. Plus a one defense title reign keeps us on our feet. Every champ can't go a year with the belt. Kenny is probably my favorite PWG wrestler, but it didn't bum me out that he lost the belt. Taking the belt off of The Young Bucks would mean more at this point than winning the vacated World Title anyway.
tmac9311

Postby Matt Flash » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:00 am

tmac9311 wrote:I don't think any of you are wrong. This very well could all be set up beforehand. Also, BOLA usually isn't for the title correct? So Kenny winning BOLA made winning the title a formality this year, no one has ever won BOLA twice(to my knowledge), so Davey couldn't, and Omega was hugely over in 2009. BOLA 2009 will always be attached to Kenny, even if the PWG Title isn't. Davey really has no where to go but main eventing in PWG, where Omega can really do anything. To my knowledge he hasn't wrestled guys like Joey Ryan, who seems to be towards the under card now, that could be a good match. Plus a one defense title reign keeps us on our feet. Every champ can't go a year with the belt. Kenny is probably my favorite PWG wrestler, but it didn't bum me out that he lost the belt. Taking the belt off of The Young Bucks would mean more at this point than winning the vacated World Title anyway.

Omega wrestled Joey in the semis of BOLA '09. Hell of a match, totally unexpected by me. PWG did a great job this year with all the upsets. Not many people expected Ryan to beat Kendrick or Gatson to beat Shelley (That was very obviously the big one). Neither seemed out of place. It scares me how over Joey's gotten... like even past him getting major ovations for his entrance. He had Omega in a chin lock, and it was quiet, and all he had to say was "Next World Champ right here!" and the crowd erupted. I don't get it, but I'm not gonna argue when a crowd is THAT hot.
Matt Flash

Postby jacob_burman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:56 am

I was bummed he lost, but damn, was that a good match. As people said, a one defense reign now keeps people on their feet. I was still shocked just because Davey signed with ROH while getting out of Dragon Gate, so I didn't think Davey would have his focus in PWG at this point. But good for Davey, it kind of breaks open the title picture, so it'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks when the card is announced. Hero, Strong, and Omega could all make claim for the next shot and it leaves the fans talking until the next show.
jacob_burman

Postby Souf Centrol » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 pm

I thought bola was for the belt
Souf Centrol

Postby CheMateo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Usually BOLA is not for the World Title. The winner basically gets carte blanche to have any match that they want. 09 was an exception to the norm since the strap was vacated by Danielson.
CheMateo

Postby camstun187 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 am

Danielson always brings us win, even when he's not around.
camstun187

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum