PWG's Kurt Russellreunion at Wrestlereunion 4 on Jan 30, 2010!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby PWG_Silverback » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla presents Kurt Russellreunion at Wrestlereunion 4 on January 30, 2010!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

December 22, 2009 - With January 30, 2010 just over a month away, we are pleased to announce the next two matches that will be taking place at Kurt Russellreunion, live at the LAX Hilton as a part of Wrestlereunion 4, presented by Highspots!

Escape From LA Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Champions) vs. Human Tornado & Chuck Taylor (Challengers)

-- At the conclusion of the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles, newly crowned Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion Kenny Omega gave an earnest and emotional speech about how much winning the tournament meant to him, and how Pro Wrestling Guerrilla was such a great place to wrestle (obviously not great enough *cough*DDT*cough*). Omega also mentioned that despite their in-ring rivalry, he and the World Tag Team Champion Young Bucks had become friends thanks to the amount of time spent traveling together, and how knowing and competing against the Bucks made Omega a better wrestler. When it came time for Matt and Nick Jackson to congratulate Kenny Omega on winning the title and the tournament, they did the unthinkable and attacked Omega, who just finished wrestling his third brutal match of the night. Clearly, the friendship between Omega and the Bucks was a one-way street, and with Omega's tag team partner Chuck Taylor absent that night, things were looking dire for the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion.

However, just when it seemed that it could get no worse for Kenny Omega, some unlikely saviors appeared: Colt Cabana, Rick Knox, and El Generico. These three men, arch rivals of Omega' in 2009, were able to put their grudges aside and come forward to help battle injustice, even when fighting on behalf of someone they may not like. Like Batman, Superman, or Animal Man! Having three allies step up like that was an eye opening experience for Kenny Omega, and it was at that moment he knew that The Young Bucks were the biggest threat facing Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, and the very universe itself. That is why Kenny Omega is dedicating himself (from many thousand miles away), and his newfound allies to fighting the scourge of The Young Bucks in 2010!

Wow, that was a lot of recapping. In case that was too much to read, war has been declared within Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Kenny Omega is like Winston Churchill, commanding troops from afar, and The Young Bucks are like Ghengis Khan, leading the Golden Horde into battle themselves. Sorta makes The Young Bucks seem like the good guys, but whatever.

Because he is unable to face The Young Bucks himself, Kenny Omega has asked his staunchest ally, Chuck Taylor, to take on the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions in his place. Normally, it is not enough to simply request a title match, which is why Chuck Taylor will team with Human Tornado at Kurt Russellreunion. Because Tornado and El Generico, 2 Skinny Black Guys, are the Number One Contenders for the Tag Team Titles, and El Generico is already set to face Jushin Thunder Liger on January 30, 2010, the Number One Contendership has been transferred to the sole possession of Human Tornado (it was notarized and everything). With this transfer of power, that means that Matt and Nick Jackson, The Young Bucks, will be putting their titles on the line against Human Tornado and Chuck Taylor, 2 Skinny Black Guys of Low Moral Fiber at Kurt Russellreunion!

What a convoluted way of saying fans in attendance at Wrestlereunion 4 will be in store for an awesome Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship title match!

Stargate Singles Match
Brandon Bonham vs. Brandon Gatson

-- When word of this match came down from the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Board of Directors, everyone, and we do mean everyone here at the office was surprised to hear that Brandon Bonham, who took Pro Wrestling Guerrilla by storm in 2008, would be making his long awaited return at Kurt Russellreunion. This is huge news, and cause for celebration! But then we were confused when word came that this match will be "like Scorpion fighting Sub Zero," with no further explanation. Are both of these guys ninjas? Is it because one guy wears yellow and the other guy wears blue (sometimes)? Will this match end in a Fatality? A Friendship? A Bestiality? How about the Board of Directors stick to directing things, and let our department stick to writing things.

While the battle between the New Guy and the Newer Guy is an intriguing subplot in this match, the return of Brandon Bonham is a potentially huge development for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla in 2010. When Bonham left after the 2008 Battle of Los Angeles, he had made it to the second round of the tournament where he was defeated by Nigel McGuinness (TNA Wrestling's Desmond Wolfe), but in order to reach that point, Bonham had to defeat Kenny Omega, now current Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion, in the opening round. If Brandon Bonham shows no signs of ring rust after fourteen months away and is able to defeat Brandon Gatson, Bonham could very well be just a match or two away from Number One Contendership, and a rematch with Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion Kenny Omega.

But it is unfair to let Brandon Bonham's return to the ring overshadow the accomplishments of Brandon Gatson, who after just four months with Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, was two victories away from becoming World Champion. After winning the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles Qualifier at Against the Grain, Gatson was able to reach the semifinal round of the tournament, defeating Nick Jackson and Alex Shelley along the way. Though he would eventually be eliminated from the tournament by Roderick Strong, Brandon Gatson was able to defeat two of the biggest names in independent professional wrestling, and in doing so, put the world on notice that he had arrived, and will be a force to be reckoned with in 2010. A victory over a fan favorite like Brandon Bonham would greatly enhance Gatson's standing in the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship title picture, so one would have to imagine that he will go all out at Kurt Russellreunion, especially if it helps him get closer to the prize that eluded him at the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles.

These two phenomenal contests join the two huge matches already announced for Kurt Russellreunion:

Sky High Three-Way Match
Chris Hero vs. Roderick Strong vs. "The Whole F'N Show" Rob Van Dam

Big Trouble in Little China Singles Match
El Generico vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Kurt Russellreunion takes place on Saturday, January 30, 2010 at the LAX Hilton as a part of Wrestlereunion 4, presented by Highspots. The LAX Hilton is located at 5711 West Century Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90045. Event information is available on the official Kurt Russellreunion mini-site. Ticketing information for Kurt Russellreunion and Wrestlereunion 4 can be found on the official Wrestlereunion 4 website Video recording devices are not permitted. Card subject to change.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Re: PWG's Kurt Russellreunion at Wrestlereunion 4 on Jan 30, 2010!

Postby TigerDriver98 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Bonham is back! What a nice surprise. I didn't think that we'd ever see him back.
TigerDriver98

Postby CrOwNMeKiNG23 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:27 pm

wow! very surprised to see Bonham back, glad he is though, missed seeing him in PWG :). Also noticed that the name of the tag team championship match is "escape from L.A." possibly hinting at the very possible departure of the bucks to tna.
CrOwNMeKiNG23

Postby OSKMIA » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:46 pm

Brandon Bonham! Yes! Somehow deep down inside I knew he would return to PWG. Believe it or not this is the match I wanted Brandon Bonham to make his return in. The New Guy vs. The Newer Guy just puts a smile on my face. A crowd divided? I think so.
OSKMIA

Postby PWGnorthern » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Bonham right on! Him and Gatson are going to have a great show, plus im pumped about the possible new tag champs.
Also noticed that Kevin Steen is listed again on the mini site, I hope he's back for good
PWGnorthern

Postby Meltman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Wow, I definitely did NOT expect Bonham's name on a card ever again. I saw a good handful of his matches from '08 and enjoyed them greatly. This is a really great match and I'm seriously pumped for it.

As for 2 Skinny Black Guys of Low Moral Fiber...words can't do justice to how amazing, AMAZING the combination of Taylor and Tornado can be for the indy wrestling world. Generico used his shot with Steen and now Tornado uses his with Chuckie T. Brilliant.

[quote=CrOwNMeKiNG23]Also noticed that the name of the tag team championship match is "escape from L.A." possibly hinting at the very possible departure of the bucks to tna.[/quote]
Wow, good eye. That's either a mere coincidence or some cruel foreshadowing.

[PWGnorthern]Also noticed that Kevin Steen is listed again on the mini site, I hope he's back for good[/quote]
I wouldn't be surprised if the rival promotion asked them to remove Steen to sell their own angle.
Meltman

Postby El Asian » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:34 am

glad to see Bonham back and hopefully he sticks around for awhile as well and glad to see Steen is back listed for the show
El Asian

Postby Whoblehwah » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:48 pm

SWEET! My wish came true! NEW GUY!!! =D
Whoblehwah

Postby El Asian » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:41 pm

apparently Willie Mack's myspace has scheduled the WrestleReunion show with ROH and PWG, hope that means what I think it means
El Asian

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:25 am

Things just got beyond interesting!!!!

2 Skinny Black Guys of Low Moral Fiber came right out of the blue for me! Sick!!!

And Bonham!!!!! I always heard people mention him and I saw him on the DVDs but to get to see him return live!!!! So much better!!! Now they have to name these matches!!! I can't wait! And still more to come!!
DjEn3rgy21

Postby Meltman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:17 am

The more I think about it the more Bonham/Gatson intrigues me. Gatson is this year's Bonham, only with more success in less time. This should be an awesome battle.

You've got RVD, Liger, Muta, KAI, Taylor/Tornado teaming (should be incredible), and only 4 matches announced so far. Needless to say, my enthusiasm about this show is rising by the day.
Meltman

Postby Whoblehwah » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Meltman wrote:The more I think about it the more Bonham/Gatson intrigues me. Gatson is this year's Bonham, only with more success in less time. This should be an awesome battle.

You've got RVD, Liger, Muta, KAI, Taylor/Tornado teaming (should be incredible), and only 4 matches announced so far. Needless to say, my enthusiasm about this show is rising by the day.

Yeah. Also, Super Crazy! I wonder who he's gonna face.
Whoblehwah

Postby tmac9311 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:49 pm

with the news that the Young Bucks apparently signed with TNA I have a new excitement for the event. I don't expect this to be their last match, but there is a chance, and if it is, and even if it isn't, Tornado and Taylor seem like perfect replacements in this war feud. Also the idea of 2SBGoLMF being tag champs is really exciting.

KRM is really shaping up to be a giantic event, I'm going to have to find a way to get there and see it in person, I don't think I can wait for BOLa
tmac9311

Postby Meltman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:02 pm

On Twitter Matt Jackson replied to someone asking if KRM would be their last PWG match, and he said "no way". So it's looking hopeful.
Meltman

Postby PWG_Silverback » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla presents Kurt Russellreunion at Wrestlereunion 4 on January 30, 2010!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

December 28 - In just 33 days, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla in association with Highspots presents Kurt Russellreunion, live at the LAX Hilton as a part of Wrestlereunion 4! We are very proud to announce the four remaining matches that fans from around the world will have the pleasure of seeing live, in Los Angeles, on January 30, 2010!

Overboard Tag Team Match
The Great Muta & KAI vs. "The Professional" Scott Lost & Joey Ryan

-- Once in a while, an opportunity comes along where you would be foolish to pass it up. There may be some reason, say, a grudge with an old friend, that would make you think about letting that chance go by, but ultimately you know it would be insane not to seize it. That was the exact dilemma that faced on-again, off-again tag team partners Scott Lost and Joey Ryan and their proposed match up at Kurt Russellreunion. The issues between Lost and Ryan are well documented, but the CliffsNotes version is:

Scott Lost and Joey Ryan were one of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's first successful, however Joey Ryan believed that he and his innate charisma was responsible for the team's success, while Scott Lost believed he did most of the heavy lifting for his team, and that hard work was what won matches. Soon after they would part ways, but after three and a half years they would reunite to defeat a then up-and-coming tag team called The Young Bucks. After eighteen months of ups and downs, the relationship once again deteriorated, with Joey Ryan wrapped up in his quest to reclaim the World Championship, and Scott Lost left standing in his shadow.

Scott Lost and Joey Ryan's last match together as a tag team was in May 2009, but since then Scott has actually defeated Joey in singles competition. Joey says there are no hard feelings about the loss, and that he is ready to put everything behind him if Scott is, too. Of course, with an opportunity of this magnitude at hand, Scott is ready to rejoin his old partner, though with a single caveat: Joey Ryan must be completely dedicated to their team.

Joey Ryan claims his singular focus is on defeating The Great Muta and KAI at Kurt Russellreunion. Since The Great Muta and Bret Hart never crossed paths in WWF, Scott Lost is completely unaware of the challenge ahead of him. Scott did say "If he's anything like that Hakushi guy, his weakness is a German Suplex reversal." Luckily, Joey Ryan has seen enough WCW to know what a dangerous opponent Muta can be, and will do his best to catch Scott up before January 30. Joey was overheard saying "The first step is to do as few Stinger Splashes as possible."

While they won't be facing Hakushi, or even Kokushi Muso, Scott Lost and Joey Ryan will be facing a man with more in-ring experience than they have combined. As if the challenge of facing The Great Muta wasn't daunting enough, Scott and Joey will also have to deal with the fastest rising star in All Japan Pro Wrestling, KAI. Though he lacks the experience of The Great Muta, KAI's heart and determination will go a long way in making up for that. Intent on putting his best foot forward in his first appearance in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, you can guarantee KAI will do everything to make sure his team succeeds.

But will it be enough? If there is a weak link for Joey Ryan and Scott Lost to exploit, it is the relative inexperience of KAI. With just under three years of experience, KAI may fall victim to the veteran tricks of Scott Lost and Joey Ryan if he isn't careful. Lucky for KAI, he will have one of the most enigmatic and unpredictable legends of the professional wrestling world at his side.

Tequila Sunrise Singles Match
Davey Richards vs. Super Crazy

-- At the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles, the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship title was on the line in the tournament for the first time ever, and everyone wanted a shot at it That includes previous Battle of Los Angeles winner and former World Tag Team Champion Davey Richards, because if he won 2009's tournament, he would become the first man in PWG history to hold both championships and the Battle of Los Angeles (twice), as well. However, there was one small problem: another tournament, honoring Minnesota Vikings superstar Adrian Peterson, was taking place the same weekend as the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles, and if Davey Richards loves one thing in life, it's Minnesota Vikings football. While it was not an easy decision to make, Davey Richards decided that he may only get one chance to meet Adrian Peterson, but he's such a bad-ass ass-kicker that he could kick the ass of whoever won the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles and take the World Championship later on.

As it turned out, Adrain Peterson wasn't even involved in the tournament, and Davey Richards was so furious that he kicked everyone's ass that weekend. Not only that, when he saw that Kenny Omega won the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles, Davey fell into a barely controllable rage that has been simmering ever since. Backed by those seemingly limitless reserves of anger, Davey Richards has one goal in mind: Kill everybody. If he's going to work his way up to facing Kenny Omega and taking the World Championship, he's going to have to kill a lot of people to get that shot. Or perhaps just a few people, and one high value target. Somebody who is a well-regarded veteran in wrestling, maybe even someone that's had a bit of a professional renaissance in the last few months. Somebody like Super Crazy.

With no axe to grind and a "happy to be here" attitude, Super Crazy is heading in to Kurt Russellreunion eager to be a part of the Wrestlereunion 4 weekend. Even though Crazy's easy going attitude will be in direct conflict with Davey Richards' mission of rage, Crazy's not worried about it. He has years of experience dealing with angry guys that kick hard, and has been pretty successful countering it. Super Crazy is still looking forward to Kurt Russellreunion, but you can guarantee he's going to put in a little time at the dojo with an old friend of his before heading to Los Angeles on January 30.

Captain Ron Singles Match
Brian Kendrick vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen

-- Since returning to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla in 2009, Brian Kendrick and Kevin Steen have experienced limited success at their former stomping grounds. Both men have been involved in some very high profile contests, though neither man has been able to put together a consistent string of victories. Granted, Kevin Steen has only been back since the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles, but two loses in two nights is not how "Mr. Wrestling" wanted to return. Brian Kendrick on the other hand managed to eek out victories over Austin Aries and two time former Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion Bryan Danielson, but the rest of his outings have resulted in losses. Therefore, a victory here would do a lot for either man as far as their standing in the title picture for 2010 goes. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen plans on using Brian Kendrick as a springboard back to top of the food chain in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, while no one is quite certain what Brian Kendrick, a true American wild child, wants to achieve in 2010 and beyond.

Tombstone Eight-Person Tag Team Match
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler), Ryan Taylor, & Christina Von Eerie vs. Johnny Goodtime, Malachi "CK" Jackson, Candice LeRae, & Jerome "LTP" Robinson

Kurt Russellreunion will also feature:

Sky High Three-Way Match
Chris Hero vs. Roderick Strong vs. "The Whole F'N Show" Rob Van Dam

Escape From LA Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Champions) vs. Human Tornado & Chuck Taylor (Challengers)

Big Trouble in Little China Singles Match
El Generico vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Stargate Singles Match
Brandon Bonham vs. Brandon Gatson

Kurt Russellreunion takes place on Saturday, January 30, 2010 at the LAX Hilton as a part of Wrestlereunion 4, presented by Highspots. The LAX Hilton is located at 5711 West Century Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90045. Event information is available on the official Kurt Russellreunion mini-site. Ticketing information for Kurt Russellreunion and Wrestlereunion 4 can be found on the official Wrestlereunion 4 website Video recording devices are not permitted. Card subject to change.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby bford24 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:06 pm

WOW!! Pretty great matches there, I wish I could have done this show and BOLA. I chose BOLA, with no regrets but this show is going to be special.
bford24

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Poor Davey, I bet it was the Chicago Bears Adrian Peterson instead.

Anyway, great stuff all around. I especially think that eight person tag will be a show stealer.
TigerDriver98

Postby Lord Akiyama » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Scott must really be intimidated if he can't figure how to wrestle Muta since Muta has never wrestled Bret Hart. :lol:

Davey Richards has one goal in mind: Kill everybody.

Good to know.
Lord Akiyama

Postby El Asian » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:35 pm

matches look awesome and I know people are gonna be disappointed that Joey is taking on Muta but I think its awesome plus considering the fact Muta never does singles matches when he wrestles here in the US nowadays, so putting him and KAI against Joey and Scott works

also, glad to see Ryan Taylor back in PWG although I am a bit disappointed Willie Mack isn't wrestling in this year despite listing the WrestleReunion on his schedule on his myspace

also a curious question, who's the old friend that Super Crazy is seeing that Silverback referred to?
El Asian

Postby AmericanWolvesMark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 pm

El Asian wrote:also a curious question, who's the old friend that Super Crazy is seeing that Silverback referred to?

This guy, probably
AmericanWolvesMark

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum