Random PWG Comments Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: Random PWG Comments Thread

Postby pwggrodd » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:42 pm

If Pushin' Forward Back doesn't get a preview video, then the last two PWG heavyweight title switches won't have one.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Word on the street is October 21st. Should get an announcement in the next couple weeks I'm assuming.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm

eastbay510 wrote:Word on the street is October 21st. Should get an announcement in the next couple weeks I'm assuming.

Hopefully PWG books the Lucha Bros. to defend their tag titles on this, I feel its been too long since they've defended the titles. maybe against LRDS. Also, while I hope Chuck defends his title as well, I actually would prefer if they hold up on putting Chuck against Ricochet until December or January when Ricochet's contract with Lucha Underground is fullfilled and becomes a "free agent" but I wouldn't be against if PWG books Ricochet vs. Chuck anyways while later setting up another Ricochet and Chuck Taylor match in a steel cage match or something, also because its been too long PWG has booked a steel cage match.

Also speaking of tags, with Donovan Dijak gone, Keith Lee doesn't have a tag partner and my other option would have been Lio Rush but that also went out the window like Dijak, so possible partner for Lee to consider would either be Jonah Rock, unless he is booked with another Australian guy, or Joey Janela
El Asian

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:09 am

From what I heard Ricochet isn't taking bookings past December. So depending if PWG has November and/or December shows Ricochet has between 1 and 3 shows left (that is if the rumors are true). They will 100% be having that title match at the next show. I personally hope we see Lucha Bros. vs Chosen Bros. and personally I really want to see Travis Banks vs Sammy Guevara.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:46 am

I'm hoping for a tag title switch soon. Lucha Bros don't defend the belts enough, and Chosen Bros and the LDRS are both around a bit more often. If the next show is October 21st, then I'd guess early to mid December is the only other show left. So, I'm interested to see if Ricochet gets the shot right away or if it gets held off to December. I'm also interested to see where they go from here with Sammy Guevara, and whether or not Joey Janela makes an immediate return. Ditto with Jonah Rock and WALTER, considering they seemed to be hinting at a future match there.
pwggrodd

Postby El Asian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 pm

eastbay510 wrote:From what I heard Ricochet isn't taking bookings past December. So depending if PWG has November and/or December shows Ricochet has between 1 and 3 shows left (that is if the rumors are true). They will 100% be having that title match at the next show. I personally hope we see Lucha Bros. vs Chosen Bros. and personally I really want to see Travis Banks vs Sammy Guevara.

Yeah, that's fine, I guess it all depends how long TK Cooper is out for so we can get South Pacific Power Trip vs. Young Bucks match, hopefully if they are available also, Jonah Rock vs. WALTER does sound like a good one.

Also, speaking of future shows, I really hope PWG doesn't book a show on December 9 or 10 since that will be when PlayStation Experience going on that weekend though I would be fine for a December 8 show maybe though prefer if PWG does have a show in December, its not on December 9 and 10 weekend, maybe a week before or after at least.

pwggrodd wrote:I'm hoping for a tag title switch soon. Lucha Bros don't defend the belts enough, and Chosen Bros and the LDRS are both around a bit more often. If the next show is October 21st, then I'd guess early to mid December is the only other show left.

I honestly hope the Lucha Bros. keep their titles around but would like to defend them more as well as potential match ups against other teams but even if they drop it to Chosen Bro. or LRDS, I think we still see the same issue with the tag titles not being defended too much even if the tag champs were LRDS or especially Chosen Bros, due to times where either members of LRDS would also have other commitments and with Chosen Bros, there was already issues with Riddle getting double booked and had to cancel a PWG booking due to Gabe Sapolsky kinda forcing Riddle to take other booking over PWG plus Riddle and Cobb are going to NJPW together during World Tag League though I really hope Riddle doesn't pull a Matt Sydal while he's in Japan
El Asian

Postby toby80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:35 pm

All Star Weekend 13 announced for October 20 and 21!
toby80

Postby pwggrodd » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Michael Elgin just beat Jeff Cobb in the finals of AAW's Jim Lynam Memorial Tournament. Now there's a match PWG needs.
pwggrodd

Postby pwggrodd » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 am

According to Meltzer, next show isn't until January 12th. Jeez.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 pm

pwggrodd wrote:According to Meltzer, next show isn't until January 12th. Jeez.

That sucks. Hopefully they figure out a date with enough talent avalaible in December.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 am

Sucks if that is it for PWG for the rest of the year but at least they had ended the year with some huge shows and plus help save up on future shows and other stuff in the holidays
El Asian

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am

El Asian wrote:Sucks if that is it for PWG for the rest of the year but at least they had ended the year with some huge shows and plus help save up on future shows and other stuff in the holidays

Between BOLA and ASW has there ever been a better 5 show stretch? I mean 2 Meltzer rated 5 star matches, and even if you don't agree with his ratings you gotta admit those were 2 incredible matches. And on top of that there have been a few MOTYC since BOLA. PWG is white hit right now.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 am

Just a random thought, but I would love to see Adam Brooks vs Sammy Guevarra in 2018.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Well looks like there's a reason why PWG probably won't have a show for the rest of the year since some of the usual PWG regulars, in particularly Cobb and Chuck, will be working NJPW World Tag League in I presume the dates PWG would have booked shows in November and December though it is possible for PWG to run shows during that time frame.

And speaking of NJPW, NJPW has confirmed a return to Long Beach on March 25, I know PWG did try to run a show on the Friday before G-1 Special back in July but didn't work out but I wonder with only 1 show booked in March on a Sunday by NJPW if PWG could possibly have a show that weekend, maybe on March 23 for a Friday night show with a few NJPW guys involved.
El Asian

Postby toby80 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 am

I went to the RPW show in London last night, and as I thought it might do, Keith Lee vs. Tomohiro Ishii stole the show. The place went nuts when Ishii lifted Lee up for a suplex (he held him up for a good few seconds as well). And after receiving a fairly lukewarm reception when he made his entrance (I don't think many were that familiar with him), Lee was the most over guy in the room come the end of the match.
toby80

Postby pwggrodd » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:51 pm

If anybody could win a crowd over quickly it's Keith Lee. I wonder how long it will be before we get announcements for the next show. It's pretty well-known the next one is January 12, so why not just get on with it? It's not like they haven't changed a card if they've had to because of circumstances changing between the announcement and the date the show actually happens. I wonder if Chucky T gets an immediate rematch or something else.
pwggrodd

Postby pwggrodd » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Next show is Mystery Vortex V. I know WALTER's scheduled for the EVOLVE shows on January 13th and 14th, so he'll be in country on the 12th.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Hopefully PWG can make us forget about the last Mystery Vortex, no way it can be that bad. We are pretty much gaurenteed a title change as this is probally Ricochet's last PWG show.

Wonder if we're getring any debuts on this show? No clue who it could be, as long as it isn't Adam Page I'll be a happy guy(fibgers crossed).

At the last MCW show Brooks and Rock lost their titles, the next MCW show is January 13th, which is essentially the same day as Mystery Vortex with the time difference. As of right now neither is announced for that show, and Robbie Eagles vs Slex is the match that show is built around, I have a feeling neither Jonah or Adam will be in Melbourne that day...

Speaking of Jonah Rock and Adam Brooks, they are both doing tours of Europe next year, and Adam is wrestling Ryan Smile at RevPro High Stakes 8 days after Mystery Vortex.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:34 am

I know everybody wants Keith Lee to beat Ricochet for the title, personally I think Sammy Guevarra would be a much more intriguing champ. Also he has only lost one match so far(although it is a small sample size), and nobody has been able to kick out of his 630 yet.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Ok, so I have had a lot of discussions on Twitter about who should win the PWG Championship at Mystery Vortex(assuming it's Ricochet's final show). Almost everyone thinks it should be Keith Lee, some feel Chuck Taylor regains it. I feel like neither option is ideal, in my opinion Sammy Guevarra is undoubtedly the man who should represent the promotion in 2018.

First of all I wanna eliminate the possibility of Chuck Taylor regaining the championship. When he beat Zack Sabre Jr. for the belt at Pushing Foward Back it was an incredible match, probally the match of Chuck's career, but let's be honest, it was a gold watch. A lifetime achievement award. He is not the guy you want representing your company long term, and with him already having a title run under his belt(pun intended) the law of diminishing returns defiantly applys here.

Keith Lee is the guy I really wanna talk about, he is the man pretty much everybody wants to beat Ricochet. I get it, I really do. He is an incredible professional wrestler, he had a 5 star(according to Meltzer) match at BOLA with Donavan Dijak on his way to the finals of that tournament, he is probally the most over performer on the PWG roster, and one of the biggest stars currently on the independent circuit.

And that is why I feel he absolutely should not win the PWG Championship at this time.

In my opinion Lee would be a fine champion, but to me it is the safest most uninspired booking decision Super Dragon can possibly make. I love Keith Lee, but he is everywhere, and is currently the WWN Champ. If they put the belt on Lee it is just doing what everyone else is doing, why not doing something ballsy? Do something shocking and push someone that isn't getting pushed everywhere yet?

To me Keith Lee is a better wrestler than Sammy Guevarra at this point without question. But to me Sammy would be a much more interesting story. People keep telling me Sammy will be ready in about a year, or that he is green. If you feel he is an undeserving champion at this point is that a bad thing? It worked pretty good for Jimmy Havoc in Progress when he had never even won a match before defeating Mark Andrews in controversal fashion. And this opinion that he is green is not something that should be worried about, considering the quality of his PWG performances thus far.

So far in PWG Sammy has a 3-1 record, his only loss at the hands of Jeff Cobb at BOLA. His loss was the only match of his that he failed to hit the 630, PWG's most protected finisher(along with Cobb's Tour of the Islands, oh hey, that's an intresting potential story for a title match...).

With Lee as champ you know he will have good to great matches, with Sammy you will have good to great matches that make sense story wise, let me elaborate:

-Jeff Cobb:

No brainer there. As I said before, the two most protected finishers in PWG. Who can hit their's first? Also Cobb is the only person to beat Guevarra.

-Rey Fenix:

With his victory over Zack at BOLA Fenix should be in line for a title shot at some point. With Sammy having experience in Mexico for The Crash this is a match for people who think Sammy is too green to be a main eventer. Guevarra has victories over Luchadores Rey Horus and Flamita in a PWG ring, and on top of all of that Fenix and Guevarra were originally scheduled to face off as part of that Lucha 4 way at All Star Weekend night 1 that got turned into a triple threat.

-WALTER

WALTER has been on fire since his PWG debut. The story of this match makes sense, the punk kid high flyer vs giant ass kicker who's entire ethos revolves around respect and honor. This would add a ton for Sammy's development, as it would show he can take an absolute beating.

-Keith Lee:

So my prediction is Keith Lee wrestles for the title at Mystery Vortex, he loses, and Sammy comes out and takes the title from Ricochet(tell me that wouldn't be an incredible match?). It's a story they have done twice, so it isn't a huge stretch that PWG would revisit this angle. Keith Lee loses to Ricochet at both the finals of BOLA and for the title at Mystery Vortex, while Guevarra wins the title in Ricochet's final match. Sammy can absolutly rub that in Lee's face. The chase is often better than the actual run for faces. Have Lee chase Sammy and win the title in a few months, make the fans really want it.

This is an insanely long post, but my point is PWG can go down a couple paths. They can do what's safe, what everyone else is doing, or they can take a chance do something ballsy, push a guy that isn't everywhere yet, a guy who can give you not only great matches, but matches that make sense. Ultimately PWG will continue selling out shows in seconds no matter who is champ, but they have a chance to do something artistically bold at Mystery Vortex. They can be the first major independent promotion to get behind Sammy Guevarra. I just hope they take that path.
eastbay510

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum