The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Postby SenimSilla » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:03 pm

From the Guerrilla Grab 3 Pack sale, I'd recommend the following:

Self-Titled (Generico/Quicksilver vs. Shelley/Sabin, Tornado/Joey, Bosh/Lost vs. B-Boy/Super Dragon)
Enchantment Under the Sea (Briscoes vs. Generico/Quicksilver, Bosh/Lost vs. Super Dragon/Davey, the forming of the Dynasty)
Hollywood Globetrotters (Shelley/Sabin, Dragon/Davey vs. Jack/Strong, B-Boy/Kazarian)
Holy Diver Down (Steen/PAC, Shelley/Sabin vs. Bosh/Lost, Tornado/Generico)
Cruisin' for a Bruisin' (Hero/Claudio, Bosh/Lost, Sabin/B-Boy, and a very long, but good Claudio/Hero vs. Dragon/Davey match)
Threemendous (Bosh/Sky/Lost vs. Tornado/Steen/Davey, B-Boy/Joey, Claudio/Hero vs. Generico/Quicksilver)
SenimSilla

Postby Hybreezy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Enchantment Under the Sea looks really good, especially if it's the event where The Dynasty is formed. How would you rate All Nude Revue? The card looks pretty awesome. Right now for my order I'm probably getting

DDT4 07 N1
DDT4 07 N2
Enchantment Under the Sea
Giant Size Annual #4
Uncanny X-Mas
Either All Nude Revue/Holy Diver Down/Hollywood Globetrotters

I figure I also might as well get 44 Ways to Kill You With a Pimento and Card Subject to Change since they're a buck each. I was also leaning towards either ordering the double pack of DDT4 08 or the 3 pack of BOLA07 I'm not sure which. Yes I realize this is a big order, but whatever :).
Hybreezy

Postby TigerDriver98 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:12 pm

Yes, definitely get All Nude Revue. That was one of PWG's best shows of 2005. Enchantment Under The Sea is a must own as well.

44-Ways and CSTC1 for a buck? Wow.

I guess it's easy to see why 44-Ways would be so heavily discounted, as it's the least "star packed" PWG show ever. However it is far from a bad show. I'd say that everything on it is pretty solid. Especially the 6-man opener and Sky vs. B-Boy.

Card Subject To Change 1: Good show. Human Tornado gets killed by B-Boy, American Dragon and Chris Hero have a fun comedy match (which still may be my favorite match the two have had together) Los Luchas/Arrogance is very fun, AXP/Pitbulls is a good brawl. SD/Homicide is disappointing but still worth a watch.

Definitely a wise way to spend two bucks in my opinion.
TigerDriver98

Postby Hybreezy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:27 pm

All Nude Revue it is then, which would you say is the better show to go with BOLA07 or DDT4 08? Your hype videos in general are awesome, but the videos for those two are especially amazing by the way.
Hybreezy

Postby TigerDriver98 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks, I hope to get more of those out in the future.

As for DDT4 08 vs. BOLA 07: I'd go with BOLA 2007 all the way. Night 3 is still one of the best PWG shows ever.
TigerDriver98

Postby SenimSilla » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:47 pm

All Nude Revue over Hollywood Globetrotters or Holy Diver Down is an awful call.
SenimSilla

Postby Hybreezy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Since I've yet to watch it all I just noticed Joe vs. Super Dragon is on Best of PWG and was the main reason I wanted All Nude Revue so I may have to reconsider those other two instead. This will probably come down to a coin flip it's hard to choose.
Hybreezy

Postby John-Blud » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Looking for some help here. I've got about 50 bucks to spend on whatever, so I decided to give PWG a try since I really enjoyed the PWG Sells Out set. I was looking over the specials page (http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/me ... cials.html) and wasn't exactly sure which set would be the best to buy. So, what set do you's is the best out of all of the ones on that site? (Disregard the prices or the amount of DVD's, I'm pretty much looking for the set that has the largest amount of best shows.)

Thanks for any help I can get.
John-Blud

Postby Whoblehwah » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting 3 PWG dvds from the deal on highspots, but not sure which to get. I a huge Chris Hero fan and since he didnt have any matches on Sells Out I want some shows with him on it. Any suggestions? Hows "(Please don't call it) The OC"? I think that show has Hero v. Dragon on it. Is the rest of the show good?
Whoblehwah

Postby Whoblehwah » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Whoblehwah wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting 3 PWG dvds from the deal on highspots, but not sure which to get. I a huge Chris Hero fan and since he didnt have any matches on Sells Out I want some shows with him on it. Any suggestions? Hows "(Please don't call it) The OC"? I think that show has Hero v. Dragon on it. Is the rest of the show good?

Ok I just looked at that above post and decided on "Cruisin' for a Brusin'". The whole card looks awesome. Any other 2 shows?
Whoblehwah

Postby Whoblehwah » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Ok, sorry to triple, but I've been looking at shows and I've narrowed down the ones 'm intrested in.

Cruisin' for a Bruisin': http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0041.html
Straight to DVD: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0036.html
Passive Hostility: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0062.html
Guitarmegeddon II: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0064.html
Beyond the Thunderdome: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0047.html
70|30: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0067.html
Holy Diver Down: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0065.html
Horror Business: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0059.html
Zombies Shouldn't Run: http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd0031.html

I can probably get all of them eventually, but right now I'll just order 3. Which do you guys think are the best? Please and thanks to whoever provides their opinion.
Whoblehwah

Postby supersonic » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote="SenimSilla"]Cruisin' for a Bruisin' (Hero/Claudio, Bosh/Lost, Sabin/B-Boy, and a very long, but good Claudio/Hero vs. Dragon/Davey match)

No no no no. You must be shitting me. Just seeing four indy favorites go long for the sake of going long doesn't make for a good match. When you're a fucking 50 minute tag match, there needs to be some momentum, some drama, some storytelling, a roller coaster ride. I don't expect 50 minutes of nonstop action (as that would be fucking lame), I just expect them to actually make an attempt at getting the crowd. You can't possibly go at the same plateaued level for that long and be proud of the result.
supersonic

Postby Zwarrior2 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:52 pm

supersonic wrote:
SenimSilla wrote:Cruisin' for a Bruisin' (Hero/Claudio, Bosh/Lost, Sabin/B-Boy, and a very long, but good Claudio/Hero vs. Dragon/Davey match)

No no no no. You must be shitting me. Just seeing four indy favorites go long for the sake of going long doesn't make for a good match. When you're a fucking 50 minute tag match, there needs to be some momentum, some drama, some storytelling, a roller coaster ride. I don't expect 50 minutes of nonstop action (as that would be fucking lame), I just expect them to actually make an attempt at getting the crowd. You can't possibly go at the same plateaued level for that long and be proud of the result.

Just to note the Cruisin' for a Bruisin' Main Event was Cape Fear/SDDR, KOW/SDDR was on Card Subject to Change 2.
Zwarrior2

Postby the.sword.of.doom » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:39 am

how are these shows

The Next Show
Jason Takes PWG
Guitarmageddon
the.sword.of.doom

Postby RobGrayson » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:13 pm

Highspots has a good special on getting 3 early year DVDs for $19.99, and I was wondering which 3 I should get.

Those Available that I don't already have are:

Taste the Radness
Rocktoberfest
44 Ways to Kill You With a Pimento
Secret of the Ooze
Reason for the Season
Use Your Illusion 3
The Next Show
Use Your Illusion 4
Free Admission

So which 3 out of those should I get? The ones available I didn't list I already have.
RobGrayson

Postby onlxn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:03 am

the.sword.of.doom wrote:how are these shows

The Next Show
Jason Takes PWG
Guitarmageddon

"The Next Show" was fine but not particularly memorable. Fun six-man, but underwhelming matches from both Dragons, and the two last matches had bad finishes. Not a highlight of '04 PWG.

"Jason Takes PWG"is a hard show to recommend, just because the AJ/Daniels main event is a huge piece of nothing. SD/Excalibur is really fun and the surrounding angle is GREAT, and there are a couple nice little matches on the undercard, but it kind of came off as a one-match show, and the one match sucked. Good if you like PWG undercard matches, not worth getting otherwise.

I really like "Guitarmageddon" -- Joey/Shelley is the best technical-heel Joey match ever, and AJ and Gibson have a very good match. Two good Rev Pro-style tags on here, too. Fun show, and worth a look.
onlxn

Postby onlxn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:24 am

RobGrayson wrote:Highspots has a good special on getting 3 early year DVDs for $19.99, and I was wondering which 3 I should get.

Those Available that I don't already have are:

Taste the Radness
Rocktoberfest
44 Ways to Kill You With a Pimento
Secret of the Ooze
Reason for the Season
Use Your Illusion 3
The Next Show
Use Your Illusion 4
Free Admission

So which 3 out of those should I get? The ones available I didn't list I already have.

The must-get here is "Reason For The Season". The biggest show the company ever ran up to that point in time... featured the debut of the Sweatbox, the farewell of a key player, a flawed-but-fun match in CM Punk vs. Super Dragon, and some damn fine wrestling on the undercard. Should be part of any self-respecting PWGeek's collection. After that, I'd recommend "Free Admission (Just Kidding)" and "Taste The Radness" -- a lot of solid wrestling and fun stuff on those shows.

"UYI3" is a very fun show, and features the farewell of Bobby Quance and the debut of Arrogance... I'd put it just a hair below "Taste The Radness". There are people who'll tell you to get "UYI4" for the SD/Joey Iron Man match, but I wasn't a fan, personally. Features the only PWG appearances of Mike Quackenbush and Larry Sweeney, so there's that. "Secret Of The Ooze" has maybe the best match of any of these shows in the first-ever SD/Joe showdown, but the rest of the show was actively bad. "Rocktoberfest" was fun but sort of didn't hit that next level for me, as the main was basically an angle and Punk/Corino was an eyesore. Talked about "The Next Show" in the post above... okay show, but there are better options here. "44 Ways" has maybe a worse rep than it deserves due to the lack of star power, but it's still a thoroughly missable show.
onlxn

Postby eiker_ir » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:09 pm

hi, i saw the 5 for 40$ sale so i decided to get some shows. I only own BOLA 07 and PWG Sells Out so i'm gonna try to order 5 of the best shows available, this is what i have in mind:

- ASW IV Nights 1 & 2
- ASW V Nights 1 & 2
- Holy Diver Down

from some reviews i've seen those seem to be all around awesome shows so tell me if that would be a good order to place.

I also read that the recent Life During Wartime was pretty good so tell me if it would be good to order that one instead of Holy Diver Down.

Thanks in advance for any help and comment
eiker_ir

Postby eiker_ir » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:49 pm

so i ordered the following shows using the 5 for 40$ holiday sale, tell me waht you think (currently i only own BOLA 07 and Sells Out):

Astonishing X-Mas
All Star Weekend IV Night 1
All Star Weekend IV Night 2
Holy Diver Down
70|30
All Star Weekend V Night 1
All Star Weekend V Night 2
Roger Dorn Night
1.21 Gigawatts
Life During Wartime
eiker_ir

Postby Rockambition » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Hey guys I am a fairly new fan of PWG. I know of a fair amount of the roster due to exposure of Ring of Honor as I'm from the east coast. My question is what PWG shows of 2008 do you recommend? I have heard good things about the All Star Weekend Shows and I have been fortunate enough to see BOLA 06 so I was thinking about picking that up sometime when that is available as that is on pre-order.

Also while I am at it are there any crucial shows I should get regarding the feud between Human Tornado and Chris Hero? It seemed like a great feud to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Rockambition

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum