Excalibur T-Shirts Now Available

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Moderators: PWG_Silverback, PWGTickets

Postby Syndicate X » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:31 pm

This is gonna sound like a stupid question as I think the shirt looks mad cool but what does this shirt say on the back...I can't make out some of the writing from the pic...and what does it mean
Syndicate X
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: Repping the East Coast

Postby Rish To The Rosh » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:50 am

"Memento Mori"

Which, in English, and underneath that, is "Remember, You Will Die""
Puma > TJ Perkins!
Rish To The Rosh
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:14 pm
Location: Scotland, UK

Postby Crazy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:32 am

Awesome Shirt order it when I get my other order gets here
Crazy
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:18 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby Crazy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:34 am

^that should read^. Awesome shirt. I'll order it when my other order gets here.
Crazy
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:18 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby AustrianDragon » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:53 pm

Hmm... I dont really like it. I saw better shirts before, but it could be worse. :wink:
Austrian Dragon's event calender:
26.03.2006 - RoE March Madness II in Krems (AUT)
29.04.2006 - GWP Spring Attack in Roth (GER)
AustrianDragon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Upper Austria

Postby SoCalAndy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:15 pm

Syndicate X wrote:This is gonna sound like a stupid question as I think the shirt looks mad cool but what does this shirt say on the back...I can't make out some of the writing from the pic...and what does it mean


Memento mori is a Latin phrase that may be freely translated as "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," or "Remember your death". It names a genre of artistic creations that vary widely from one another, but which all share the same purpose, which is to remind people of their own mortality.

In ancient Rome, the phrase is said to have been used on the occasions when a Roman general was parading through the streets of Rome. Standing behind the victorious general was a servant, and he had the task of reminding the general that, though he was up on the peak today, tomorrow was another day. The servant did this by telling the general that he should remember that he was mortal, i.e. "Memento mori", although it is more likely that the servant said "Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento!" (Look behind you! Remember that you are but a man!) as Tertullian has written in chapter 33 of his work Apologeticus.

Memento mori was also an important literary theme. Well known literary meditations on death in English prose include Sir Thomas Browne's Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial and Jeremy Taylor's Holy Living and Holy Dying. These works were part of a Jacobean cult of melancholia that marked the end of the Elizabethan era. In the late eighteenth century, literary elegies were a common genre; Thomas Gray's Elegy in a Country Churchyard and Edward Young's Night Thoughts were typical members of the genre.

Much memento mori art is associated with the Mexican festival, Day of the Dead, including even skull-shaped candies, and bread loaves adorned with bread "bones".

A modern literary variation on the memento mori may be found, for instance, in the short story El inmortal ("The Immortal," from the 1949 collection El Aleph), by Jorge Luis Borges. In 1959, British novelist Muriel Spark wrote a novel entitled "Memento Mori." Also, a recent short story by Jonathan Nolan entitled Memento Mori was made into the movie, Memento by his brother Christopher. In The Austere Academy (part of A Series of Unfortunate Events) by Lemony Snicket, the motto of the school is "Memento Mori".

AustrianDragon wrote:Hmm... I dont really like it. I saw better shirts before, but it could be worse. :wink:


You have bad taste.
SoCalAndy
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:00 am
Location: Pasadena, California

Postby Syndicate X » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:18 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:
Syndicate X wrote:This is gonna sound like a stupid question as I think the shirt looks mad cool but what does this shirt say on the back...I can't make out some of the writing from the pic...and what does it mean


Memento mori is a Latin phrase that may be freely translated as "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," or "Remember your death". It names a genre of artistic creations that vary widely from one another, but which all share the same purpose, which is to remind people of their own mortality.

In ancient Rome, the phrase is said to have been used on the occasions when a Roman general was parading through the streets of Rome. Standing behind the victorious general was a servant, and he had the task of reminding the general that, though he was up on the peak today, tomorrow was another day. The servant did this by telling the general that he should remember that he was mortal, i.e. "Memento mori", although it is more likely that the servant said "Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento!" (Look behind you! Remember that you are but a man!) as Tertullian has written in chapter 33 of his work Apologeticus.

Memento mori was also an important literary theme. Well known literary meditations on death in English prose include Sir Thomas Browne's Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial and Jeremy Taylor's Holy Living and Holy Dying. These works were part of a Jacobean cult of melancholia that marked the end of the Elizabethan era. In the late eighteenth century, literary elegies were a common genre; Thomas Gray's Elegy in a Country Churchyard and Edward Young's Night Thoughts were typical members of the genre.

Much memento mori art is associated with the Mexican festival, Day of the Dead, including even skull-shaped candies, and bread loaves adorned with bread "bones".

A modern literary variation on the memento mori may be found, for instance, in the short story El inmortal ("The Immortal," from the 1949 collection El Aleph), by Jorge Luis Borges. In 1959, British novelist Muriel Spark wrote a novel entitled "Memento Mori." Also, a recent short story by Jonathan Nolan entitled Memento Mori was made into the movie, Memento by his brother Christopher. In The Austere Academy (part of A Series of Unfortunate Events) by Lemony Snicket, the motto of the school is "Memento Mori"


damn...thats deep...smarty pants
Syndicate X
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: Repping the East Coast

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests