Best Shows of 2005?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Best Shows of 2005?

Postby Paul Burns » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Hey all, I'm sure this thread has been done to death but I was just wondering what your favourite (Say....3 to 5?) shows in 2005 were?

After realising I left 4 PWG shows back in Australia (Leaving only 2 here), I'm mighty angry at that and have decided to buy a few shows.

I'm mostly interested in PWG for comedy matches/promos and above all else commentary (Those are the main selling points to me)

Any helps and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul
Paul Burns

Postby SoCalAndy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:51 pm

For obvious reasons, All Star Weekend and BOLA are top choices. But aside from double shots I'd go with these:

-Ernest P. Worrell Memorial: Great show from top to bottom. Probably the start of the new PWG era in my mind and it helped set things up for the way to come. Sabin/Reyes and Luchas/Tornado and Sky where great matches, and the first Steen/Dragon match should be seen.

-Guitarmageddon: An important peice of the Steen/Dragon storyline puzzle. The New SBS promo was awesome, and the main event was really underrated. Shelley/Ryan was also a great technical match. The Arrogance/Hookers match was a fun comedy match and the AXP/Luchas matches was a fun spotfest.

-Zombies Shouldn't Run: A show that Super Dragon recommended in an interview, and for obviously good reasons. His match with Quicksilver was a really great match with great build, an awesome tag team title match, Perkins/HKK with a solid opener, and so much more. Probably my favorite show from 2005. Nearly everyone brought their A game. Well, not everyone. I thought the Daniels match was pretty weak.

Other shows worth getting are Astonishing X-Mas, Smells Like Steen Spirit, and Chanukah Chaos. PWG had a great 2005, and the shows above show some of PWG's best moments of the year.
SoCalAndy

Postby Paul Burns » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks for that Andy, its appreciated.

I was wondering what your thoughts (or anyone else for that matter) are on the following shows: Straight To DVD, Afterschool Special, Jason Takes PWG and both nights of the Bicentennil?
Paul Burns

Postby astro_zombie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:19 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:-Zombies Shouldn't Run: A show that Super Dragon recommended in an interview, and for obviously good reasons. His match with Quicksilver was a really great match with great build.

barry white driver

nuff said
astro_zombie

Postby Jabroni » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:33 pm

for great wrestling buy BOLA
for a all around great show Zombies shouldnt Run
for comedy and good wrestling buy Guitarmeggedon
and for a shear emotion match buy 2 anniversary night one for AXP vs Arrogance titles vs masks
hope this helps
Jabroni

Postby SoCalAndy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Paul Burns wrote:Thanks for that Andy, its appreciated.

I was wondering what your thoughts (or anyone else for that matter) are on the following shows: Straight To DVD, Afterschool Special, Jason Takes PWG and both nights of the Bicentennil?

-Straight To DVD: Solid event. Joey/Generico was a fun match with some good comedy. Hero/Lost was a show stealer, and their styles matched up really well. The tag match was really good, but Petey kinda dragged it down for me. He didn't sell the Psycho Driver after the match, and Dragon did more selling from getting his head rammed into Petey's mid section, which makes Petey look stupid.

-After School Special: Truley underrated event. The opening tag title match was really nuts. Dragon and Davey did a great job at beating up on Generico and Tornado. Shelley/Perkins was a really good technical match, but it went a little long. Bosh/Steen was pretty awesome. They had a great match, and despite the finish it was one of the better matches of the Post-BOLA PWG era.

-Bicentennial Birthday Extravaganza Night 1: A really good show. Mostly a show that would cater more to older fans of PWG but still good for the newbies to get into for the fun. The AXP/Arrogance match was amazing and so emotional. Joey/Excitment was also fun, and the six man tag match was so awesome. Great story there.

-Bicentennial Birthday Extravaganza Night 2: Another really good show, and would cater more to new fans just getting into the promotion. Perkins/Richards was really good, and Ronin/Quick was a great way to get Quicksilver over as a legitimate singles wrestler. Steen/Dragon was the best match of the show, and second best of the weekend. Just a wicked brawl with awesome heat.

-Jason Takes PWG: Let me start out by saying that the main event sucked big time, but the Guerrilla Warfare match more than made up for it. Just some sick shit there with lots of great and brutal spots. Generico/Tornado was also a great match to open up the show with. Reyes/NOSAWA had some fun spots in it with a good competitve match mixed in with the goofiness. Aside from the main event and Sexxy Eddy, this show was really good.
SoCalAndy

Postby astro_zombie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:38 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:...which makes Petey look stupid.

not hard to accomplish
astro_zombie

Postby Paul Burns » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:14 pm

Ahh yeah thanks for the additional reviews Andy and Jabroni.

However, I see that your viewing what would mostly be appreciated from a person unfamiliar with PWG. I was really into PWG from early 2004 and caught up with older shows and such, but the last full event I own is Reason For The Season. Then, I kinda spent all my time buying ROH and following through PWG with results and such.

Now, I've decided to get a handful of shows from 2005, the main selling point for me being comedy/hilarious commentating (Those entertain me to NO end)

That being said, is there any shows that TRULY fit the hilarious comedy matches/commentating in 2005 that you would recommend?
Paul Burns

Postby scrub » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:16 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:-Jason Takes PWG: Let me start out by saying that the main event sucked big time, but the Guerrilla Warfare match more than made up for it. Just some sick shit there with lots of great and brutal spots. Generico/Tornado was also a great match to open up the show with. Reyes/NOSAWA had some fun spots in it with a good competitve match mixed in with the goofiness. Aside from the main event and Sexxy Eddy, this show was really good.

Arrogance vs. Disco/Excitement was pretty sweet as well. One of my favorite Arrogance title defenses (along with vs. Los Luchas, vs. 2SBG's). Excitement and Lost trade Bruce Lee spots, and the best setup to the Lioncock ball shot/Superman Spear EVER.
scrub

Postby dxreydx » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Anything with Arrogance is funny and Chris Bosh, but mainly Bosh he's funny.
dxreydx

Postby Paul Burns » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:20 pm

Thanks for all your advice dudes I ended up getting:
- All Star Weekend Night 1
- Jason Takes PWG
- Bicentennial Night 2
- After School Special
- Straight to DVD

Thanks again!
Paul Burns

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum